Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Black Desert | Its Third Chance at a First Impression - Can It Still Impress? | MMORPG

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010
    edited October 2015
    psiic said:
    So can I say I told you so now? I take a lot of heat here because I hate pretty much every game that comes along. I get called a Troll and worse, but sadly the truth is every game that comes along these days is crap. Lazy does not even begin to describe what has happened to mmo design. It is almost like a racket, a con job designed to separate us from our money with as little work as possible. Almost like a criminal enterprise designed to defraud the consumer. They take a piece of crap, paint it with glue then roll it around in sparkles to make it all pretty and shiny on the outside. At least this time it did not cost $150 to find out all you are buying is a turd, some glue, and a tube of glitter.
    I think the heat you get is not that you hate every game but the way you tell people you "hate every game".
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • BlurBlehBlurBleh Member UncommonPosts: 162
    Well to be fair the first couple months were quite exciting. But once you are familiar with the game things quickly get repetitive. As for the KR server I've been playing on, I won't call it dead but it hasn't been beaming with live lately, even after the server merge. To put things into perspective, I've seen more people on aged games like Aion and Blade and Soul than what BD currently has, it's not hard to see that the playerbase for BD has dropped hard. I would caution anyone who is eagerly waiting for this game in the West not to expect it to be the MMO to end all MMOs. It may very well become yet another ArcheAge for the Western players. So much hype, so much disappointment. My advise to you is to plan your calendar in a way that you have 3-6 months for this game when it comes out. After that be prepared to get bored and move on to something else.
  • TheJodaTheJoda Member UncommonPosts: 605
    DMKano said:
    TheJoda said:
    key me.....ill tell ya!

Go to Houston, find a parking lot, find somone in a car waiting for a parking spot to open up, then as soon as one spot opens up you steal it with your car first.

You are guaranteed to get keyed.

/sigh =/

....Being Banned from MMORPG's forums since 2010, for Trolling the Trolls!!!

• saurion1saurion1 Member UncommonPosts: 9
    If they're so afraid of it tanking, going B2P is not really the smartest decision. F2P games always have larger playerbases and end up being more profitable. I for one know i won't spend a dime on trying this game out. Only if i like it i would consider dumping money in it, so B2P is not an option.
  • YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    edited October 2015
    This game would benefit from a better starting experience along the lines of Blade N Soul to help it pull people into it.  That followed by PvE dungeons and stuff to do in PvE end game -- besides buying a house (of which it has a superb housing system that isn't limited to land, but is still on land due to phasing and not instancing technology) and it will do fairly well.

The first couple hours or so are boring and the UI when you talk to characters is rather bland and uninteresting.

The game's combat and graphics and immersion are top notch besides that, if you turn of the camera shake in combat and actually play enough to see large cities and how bustling they are; trying to pick pocket people, seeing the housing available actually in the main cities, etc.  Perhaps even just sitting atop of a roof with your legs dangling over the sides.  Perfect atmosphere for role play in a lot of ways.  Sandbox activities are okay from what I've seen.
    Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    "They take a piece of crap, paint it with glue then roll it around in sparkles to make it all pretty and shiny on the outside. At least this time it did not cost $150 to find out all you are buying is a turd, some glue, and a tube of glitter."

Priceless.....
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    I will definetly try this one if the Cash Shop is not too intrusive. If there is anything remotely close to AA, I am out.

• DeasantDeasant Member UncommonPosts: 198
    Nanfoodle said:
    Sovrath said:
    joel6016 said:
    And whats with the gender lock in this day and age. You cant call it a AAA mmo with such a deal breaker as that.
    Because why? Why can't designers design how they want and players or "consumers" take it or leave it? Besides, each sex has a corresponding class.
    Ya there really isn't genderlocking when a Wizard and a Witch have the same skills. I would like to know the lore behind why the giant race only has males? 
    Great question. Just to add to it... In real life Earth, in past times, it is said that Giants were the result of "gods" (extra terrestrials) mating with human females. Of those I've heard of, they were all males. I wonder if it was simply a consequence of our mating, that genetically a male extra terrestrial when fertilizing a human female, will result in a male 99.999% of the time
  • DaryenCADaryenCA Member UncommonPosts: 2
    I'd really like to get into beta so that I can see if my system will run it BEFORE laying out the money to buy the game.
  • DeasantDeasant Member UncommonPosts: 198
    DMKano said:
    Ozmodan said:
    "They take a piece of crap, paint it with glue then roll it around in sparkles to make it all pretty and shiny on the outside. At least this time it did not cost $150 to find out all you are buying is a turd, some glue, and a tube of glitter."

Priceless.....

Except those who paid $150 for ArcheAge alpha had a blast during alpha. It was money well spent for most - seriously very few complaints during alpha.

Archeage was F2P on launch so anyone could try it out for free so it didn't take any money let alone $150.

BD will be B2P so you can't even try it for free post launch, so here you don't have a choice but buy if you didn't get a chance to try for free during beta.

I agree. I spent $300 on ArcheAge pre-1.2 Alpha. I was soooo happy with the $150 I spent that I was more than happy to drop another $150 to increase my enjoyment. The game WAS that good. And I value the times I had in it, the memories of the gameplay, and the friends I enjoyed it with. R.I.P. Pre-1.2 Alpha AA Forever missed P.S. Trion, shame on you.
  • FirstKnight117FirstKnight117 Member UncommonPosts: 109
    @ psiic Honestly curious, are there any games released in the past 5-10 years that meet your definition of "good"? Or is this one of those I'm An Angry EQ/SWG Veteran And I Woke Up And Just Hated Everything sort of stories...
  • keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    edited October 2015
    This article wasn't very helpful. 8-9 background paragraphs just to get to the impression of the game play (50% of the article) is a bit much..then only a few high level comments about graphics and combat...and then a few paragraphs about the hardcore..I mean..if you are going to give an impression give one that would give folks an idea of what you did in the game other than you couldn't find "the black desert". Also, I do read quests when questing (or better yet, voiceovers)...so I had no idea what you meant by "who reads quest text anyway? (I do, but you know what I mean..) "....no, I don't know what you mean other than some folks don't read them.

There Is Always Hope!

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,065
    edited October 2015
    " The dream will be over, we’ll all be reduced to playing mobile gacha games and explaining corpse runs to bored teenagers who’ve grown up coddled by games that hand you everything."
    I literally laughed out loud at that one. So true, sooooooooooooooo so so so true.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • SoloAnythingSoloAnything Member UncommonPosts: 308
    What's up with kano trolling every black desert thread? Fear that it will get most of the few still playing archeage? Played it yesterday and in my opinion it's light years better than archeage, it feels unique and it's action based versus beating a dead horse auto target auto attack same old.
  • EzxistenceEzxistence Member CommonPosts: 15
    "For the people who talk about these things, Black Desert represents the last great hope for the AAA MMO" If its "AAA" how come I never heard of it till this week? This is not the great wow killer.. this however might be a game to mess and to play around in. Also we still have Camelot Unchained... Scam Citizen.... Maybe Crowfall... some others I havent mentioned. But c'monnnnnn you cant be putting this game into the AAA status... when its clearly not. It looks pretty! but content is the problem according to beta....
  • PrO_LeonPrO_Leon Member CommonPosts: 8
    black desert is a PVP game . So why the beep would it need pve content ?  oh and you won't get the full experience till lv 50.
    BDO is not a PvP game. It is a true MMO where u can play it the way you want. From a one man industrial power horse to a member of a guild alliance. You can turn it into a grind treadmill or become part of a truly amazing world full with sub-systems(housing,trading,horse breeding,game hunting and actual EXPLORING"crawling skills required") each of which can be a game on its own and in case u want to see how u measure there is a global rating system for EVERY sub-system from gathering to questing for any task/game style you chose u will be able to measure how you fare compared to the lot. Combat system is not as unique as B&S but clearly stand on its own level where u can perform combos of more than 7 skill chains that remind me of mortal kombat combo system. The crafting point system is also perfectly balanced where in almost every node(npc hub) there are daily quests that replenish 3 to 5 points so running out of gathering points is possible but if you are smart enough it is really impossible to run out of them as there is also a worker(slave) system that gives u the opportunity to amass all basic materials easy combined with the time u spend on the quests u hardly ever feel short on work points and they help more to pace you rather than restrain you (ARCHAGE!@&;#^*) In conclusion IT is an eye candy and it taste like something u have NEVER tasted before =) p.s. all my experience is based on the RU version and i was payed by BDO for this comment with an experience no other mmo have given me (also 2h downtime.....)
  • haplo602haplo602 Member UncommonPosts: 253
    I learned more from the comments than the article itself. Job well done ??? Seriously the article is a POS that does not tell anything about the game except that it looks good. If that's the point of it, well it can be done in less words and more clearly.
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    edited October 2015
    Sure hope it will offer wizard class at start. Russian version had no such luxury.
    Its in the alpha now so I guess it will.. Some negative posts in the topic.. But I still wanna try out gandalf! Graphics make up for it! Cant talk about gameplay havent exp it :( Edit: Im really excited only because of Gandalf lol! Staff and dagger! And controlling elements! http://www.blackdeserttome.com/calculator/wizard/3 Look at all the skills! You can mouseover to see it! DAMN

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944
    haplo602 said:
    I learned more from the comments than the article itself. Job well done ??? Seriously the article is a POS that does not tell anything about the game except that it looks good. If that's the point of it, well it can be done in less words and more clearly.
    guess what the comments you read are about other versions of the game and for the NA/EU version of title they have no idea, they just trash talk.. ;)

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Rhoklaw said:
    BDO's success comes down to game management. The fact it's B2P vs F2P at launch means in my opinion that it has a hell of a lot better chance to be successful. GW2 is blatant proof that B2P works and no, GW2 isn't P2W because it's extremely easy to acquire competitive gear. AA chose a ridiculous RNG crafting system while being F2P, which meant the worst of everything. Rampant cheaters, BOTs and of course whales buying the best gear which was next to impossible to acquire unless you did the same. If BDO becomes a P2W game, where the best gear can be bought with real money and is extremely difficult to acquire otherwise, than yes, it will fail just as did AA. If the cash shop and crafting prove to be anti P2W, than being B2P won't affect anything other than keeping the majority of BOTs out.
    Yeah, I feel the same way. My main concern is that a game like GW2 is designed from the ground up to be b2p, and the focus on a more "horizontal" progression system in GW2 inherently protects it from p2w. 

However, even if BDO does fall into the usual mmo traps, it still appears to have so much in it, so many interesting systems and features (on top of the gorgeous graphics) that I am likely to play it a lot.
  • zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    Deasant said:
    DMKano said:
    Ozmodan said:

Priceless.....

Except those who paid $150 for ArcheAge alpha had a blast during alpha. It was money well spent for most - seriously very few complaints during alpha.

Archeage was F2P on launch so anyone could try it out for free so it didn't take any money let alone $150.

BD will be B2P so you can't even try it for free post launch, so here you don't have a choice but buy if you didn't get a chance to try for free during beta.

I agree. I spent $300 on ArcheAge pre-1.2 Alpha. I was soooo happy with the $150 I spent that I was more than happy to drop another $150 to increase my enjoyment. The game WAS that good. And I value the times I had in it, the memories of the gameplay, and the friends I enjoyed it with. R.I.P. Pre-1.2 Alpha AA Forever missed P.S. Trion, shame on you.
    Got to Blame XL Game too, if not then noting will change when a company can hide behind a Publishers if players just keep blaming the Publishers only.:)
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    saurion1 said:
    If they're so afraid of it tanking, going B2P is not really the smartest decision. F2P games always have larger playerbases and end up being more profitable. I for one know i won't spend a dime on trying this game out. Only if i like it i would consider dumping money in it, so B2P is not an option.
    I'm betting the game plan is to squeeze every dollar out of b2p then it goes f2p.....That seems to be the current ideal for many of these newer games.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    saurion1 said:
    I'm betting the game plan is to squeeze every dollar out of b2p then it goes f2p.....That seems to be the current ideal for many of these newer games.
    May as well milk the first 3-6 months for all you can. I will be waiting for the F2P side of things before I play it. Who knows, maybe they will have fixed things by then.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Early alpha so it will take time. Probably like all of these games, it will be launched before it's ready and will take time to fill in. I'm starting to think it's best to wait a year before playing any of these games just to avoid all the re-balancing issues they go thru during the first year.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• PeZzyPeZzy Member UncommonPosts: 154
    The game is a grind from the start and there's no end in sight - this is what will kill the game. The pretty graphics and animations will wear thin when people discover how boring the first several hours in the game is.