Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why are sandboxes failing?

filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906

People seem to want a sandbox but they are all dead compared to other mmo's.  Why are these games failing when they seem so ideal?  My theory is the developers are making anarchy sandbox games instead of civilized sandbox games.  Once they start putting order to the sandbox people cry and start calling it themepark.  I feel that anarchy sandbox designs do not work at all.  But has anyone made a sandbox where they had civilized towns with guards enforcing laws if you were stupid enough to break them?  Mortal Online attempts such feats but the way it is implemented gives much reason for player dislikes.  Sandboxers claim they want total anarchy gameplay yet developers know this is just a waste of time because without civilizations to create a box for the sand you just have a sandpile.

Are you onto something or just on something?

Comments

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395
    What sandboxes???
  • ThourneThourne Member RarePosts: 757
    Mmoprgs are a niche market of video games
    Sandboxes are a niche of the MMORPG market
    OWPVP is a niche of sandboxes and devs keep sticking owpvp in their sandboxes

So, you have a niche of a niche in a niche market that can't get enough players to float...not suprising.
  • rounnerrounner Member UncommonPosts: 725
    Your arguments are too ambiguous. If you are arguing that law and order would make ffa pvp more popular, then you should say that. Otherwise the thread devolves into an argument over the definition of sandbox.
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Becuase there are no good sandbox games. 
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Mortal Online is the poster boy of what is wrong with sandbox MMOs......
  • SeirothSeiroth Member UncommonPosts: 29
    It is completely ludicrous that you'd suggest we are even getting real sandbox MMOs. They either fall into the quasi-sandbox genre but still have way too many themepark elements to really be a sandbox or they are just garbage. What is going on is we just aren't getting good games. Doesn't matter what we ask for. Could be any genre. If all we get is garbage well, nobody is going to like it. Lets see how awesome an MMO does when its truely 100% a sandbox game AND it has the production quality of any other AAA title out there. Great example? Something like skyrim, but an MMO and have all the player tools to make it a sandbox experience. What does that mean? Means we have the tools to make content, effect the world and people around us and we get the tools to tell meaningful stories through our characters and our actions. Think Ultima Online but with a much broader toolset to reflect the fact that we're 18 years later and should have something to show for it. AKA - more features (right now most of the time games have less)
  • TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    The best sandbox currently out is Hafen.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Thourne said:
    Mmoprgs are a niche market of video games
    Sandboxes are a niche of the MMORPG market
    OWPVP is a niche of sandboxes and devs keep sticking owpvp in their sandboxes

So, you have a niche of a niche in a niche market that can't get enough players to float...not suprising.
    What *is* surprising is that there are still devs want to risk their likelihood on niche of a niche. 
  • FirstKnight117FirstKnight117 Member UncommonPosts: 109
    The best sandbox currently out is Hafen.

@TwoThreeFour

Hafen? Details or a link? Just curious.

@filmoret

Yes going to echo Kano and add, please define "failing" :: financially? Popularity? Functionally? etc.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906

Which sandbox is failing?  Well Arcadia, Mortal Online, Darkfall, Wurm,  Anything labeled sandbox is not popular at all.  Except for H1Z1 which does not qualify as an mmorpg really.

@rounner I was describing what might be causing sandbox mmorpg's so unpopular.

@seiroth so you are calling skyrim sandbox because you can attack anyone anywhere?  Why exactly is Skyrim considered sandbox because you cant do nothing  but attack things and talk to things?  Skyrim is a horrible example of sandbox.

• grafhgrafh Member UncommonPosts: 320
    Like someone else said. There havent been any real good sandbox games lately, and the ones that are out suck. They arent true sandboxes like SWG or Shadowbane. Also the market isnt as interested in this as they used to be. Nobody has enough time to invest anymore and other excuses. Crowfall is trying to be pure sandbox, but we will see how that shapes up.
    grafh said:
    Like someone else said. There havent been any real good sandbox games lately, and the ones that are out suck. They arent true sandboxes like SWG or Shadowbane. Also the market isnt as interested in this as they used to be. Nobody has enough time to invest anymore and other excuses. Crowfall is trying to be pure sandbox, but we will see how that shapes up.

Which brings me to the OP which is trying to figure out why they are failing.  Simply saying they aren't good doesn't really give much information. 
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    filmoret said:

Which sandbox is failing?  Well Arcadia, Mortal Online, Darkfall, Wurm,  Anything labeled sandbox is not popular at all.  Except for H1Z1 which does not qualify as an mmorpg really.

@rounner I was describing what might be causing sandbox mmorpg's so unpopular.

@seiroth so you are calling skyrim sandbox because you can attack anyone anywhere?  Why exactly is Skyrim considered sandbox because you cant do nothing  but attack things and talk to things?  Skyrim is a horrible example of sandbox.

HAHA! H1Z1. I forgot about that game.
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    Most seem to try and push PvP as a core feature. IMO that is what is holding them back. Once / If anyone decides to shoot for a PvE sandbox experience with  optional ( if any ) PvP ( duels / arena ) I think we will see a large successful sandbox game.

PvPers have always and will remain the lower population.. especially those interested in open pvp.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    edited October 2015
    rounner said:
    Your arguments are too ambiguous. If you are arguing that law and order would make ffa pvp more popular, then you should say that. Otherwise the thread devolves into an argument over the definition of sandbox.

Which version of Law and Order?  The original Series with Chris Noth and Jerry Orbach was great or anytime Jerry Orbach was on it.  Didn't get into most of the other series.  L&O Criminal Intent was fun to watch.

If you are going to model this on TV Crime Shows, I would suggest Starsky and Hutch or Miami Vice.  If you are looking for more of a Role Playing thing, you might try Banacek as a basis and it would be sort of like TSW only for cheap detective mmorpgs.

/*for those who don't know, this wasn't a serious post*/
    [mod edit]

Post edited by Amana on
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    edited October 2015
    Not enough money to make a decent one.
    In my opinion a good Sandbox is far more expensive to make than a Themepark where generally the content is copy and paste.

Unfortunately though, only Indies are interested in making one, and Indies do not have the financial cover to make a AAA Sandbox.
    Big companies are not interested because their marketing department decided that Sandboxes don't have mass appeal, though no AAA Sandbox has been made yet, so where the marketing gets their data is still a mistery to me (Maybe they just look at MO numbers, who knows).

So we are stuck with crappy Sandboxes, until an Indie hit the jackpot and magically they manage to make a great game with little money.
    Only then you will  see big companies suddenly jumping on the sandbox  train.

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    I want a modern looking sandbox without forced PvP.  Either make separate servers or flag for PvP.  
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    I think the question is flawed.  The question should be 'Why do MMOs fail?'  Mortal Online didn't go anywhere because it was a bug ridden mess and continues to have issues.  Darkfall was a PvP full loot game which turns a lot of people off, and not necessarily because it's a sandbox.  H1Z1 is questionable of whether it's in the category.  They closed CoH which wasn't a sandbox; they closed WAR which wasn't a sandbox; they closed Vanguard - saga of heroes which wasn't a sandbox; Chronicles of spellborn... Tabula Rasa.

The point being that many MMOs and games in general fail for various reasons and not necessarily because it happens to be in a certain category.  Things aren't usually as simple as that.

I self identify as a monkey.

• time007time007 Member UncommonPosts: 1,062
    edited October 2015
    nah, its just the mainstream wants themeparks.  its not that sandboxes fail, its just less players play them.  I would guess the majority of players (i.e. more than 51%) want themepark games and sandpark games.  

if a game is a sandbox, people start calling it a "grinder" because there aren't any quests.  People don't want to grind mobs all day instead of questing and other ingenious forms of questing we've seen in gw2.  the majority of players are used to quests.  

i like grinding mobs for exp.  i dont mind OWPVP if there are OWPVP rewards such as DAOC style +points to stats for each rank you get.  I dont like OWPVP awards such as "Rank 2: you can now cast a banner that gives you a 5% speed boost for 5 seconds".  

IMPORTANT:  Please keep all replies to my posts about GAMING.  Please no negative or backhanded comments directed at me personally.  If you are going to post a reply that includes how you feel about me, please don't bother replying & just ignore my post instead.  I'm on this forum to talk about GAMING.  Thank you.
  • BaitnessBaitness Member UncommonPosts: 675
    I think that as long as sandbox remains so closely tied to pvp, the genre will not succeed.  There is a subset of sandbox fans that see the games only as an opportunity to harass other players, and by nature of a sandbox they are fully capable of doing that.  In my experience these players end up chasing out the rest of the playerbase.

I also think sandboxes struggle with motivating players.  With the themeparks you just need to run that crappy dungeon 3 more times to get the token to get the item that will increase your healing to help your group clear the dungeon you are actually interested in.  Carrot-on-a-stick gameplay is constant motivation, and despite it being implemented very poorly these days, I still think it is an important aspect of RPGs.  A lot of sandboxes neglect to give the player these important short term goals.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    filmoret said: People seem to want a sandbox but they are all dead compared to other mmo's.  Why are these games failing when they seem so ideal?  My theory is the developers are making anarchy sandbox games instead of civilized sandbox games.  Once they start putting order to the sandbox people cry and start calling it themepark.  I feel that anarchy sandbox designs do not work at all.  But has anyone made a sandbox where they had civilized towns with guards enforcing laws if you were stupid enough to break them?  Mortal Online attempts such feats but the way it is implemented gives much reason for player dislikes.  Sandboxers claim they want total anarchy gameplay yet developers know this is just a waste of time because without civilizations to create a box for the sand you just have a sandpile.

You conflate too many interests in one, which is why you are scratching your head over this. Just because soeone wants a sandbox doesn'tmean they want PVP and vice versa. Yes, there are those in the middle. However, most PVPers want a PVP game, not a play-house-and-pvp game, and most sandbox fans want to build and create things without people smashing it, killing them and then looting everything they have. 

"Sandboxers claim they want total anarchy..."  They do? Interesting. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

flizzer said:
    I want a modern looking sandbox without forced PvP.  Either make separate servers or flag for PvP.  
    Call me carebear, but Archeage with more sea dangers and roving mobs that attack caravans in a PvE only setting would be kinda cool. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• randomtrandomt Member UncommonPosts: 1,220
    It's because no one has managed to make an EvE Online type of sandbox on the ground, yet.. EvE is the only one with a real market and complex geopolitical gameplay along side of your standard mmo grind type gameplay that has succeeded for many many many years. But eh.. space ships arent everyone's cup of tea.  Mmo's need to stop making worlds with a single market (auction house), for example.. 
    Minecraft and Trove are proof that people do want sandbox games.  Yet I believe the problem with sandbox is everyone wants their own.  Which is why the most successful ones have your own personal world that only you can manipulate.  Or a limited number of players like H1Z1 and Ark.  When you start throwing thousands of people in the same world it is hard to have your own personal anything.  Maybe the desire to just build things with blocks outweighs the desire to do this with 100 other players online.
  • MMOvisionMMOvision Member UncommonPosts: 112
    Loktofeit said:
    filmoret said:
    You conflate too many interests in one, which is why you are scratching your head over this. Just because soeone wants a sandbox doesn'tmean they want PVP and vice versa. Yes, there are those in the middle. However, most PVPers want a PVP game, not a play-house-and-pvp game, and most sandbox fans want to build and create things without people smashing it, killing them and then looting everything they have. 

"Sandboxers claim they want total anarchy..."  They do? Interesting. 

Well said @Loktofeit

I'm one of the 'get off my lawn' guys that fondly look back to the good ole' days of MMORPG Virtual Worlds.     I have some strong views and feelings on so much mmo subject matter, one of which is that I absolutely love PVP.   Even when I am not good at it in a particular MMO, I feel it's the best way to reach the thrill of combat, as PVE/NPC combat is predictable and/or scripted completely and offers as much challenge (in combat) as a game of musical chairs.   For this reason, I've always gravitated towards the stance that "real sandboxes have to have pvp" ---

I think I need to rethink that, as I read what I quoted.     I absolutely agree, and I find it hard to believe that anyone active in the MMORPG genre over the years wouldn't agree as well with this.

I wouldn't start up a game of ANNO 2070 if I was in the mood for combat/naval warfare. It's a game for building, expanding, and micromanagement.  Similarly, I would not launch Mortal Kombat if I wanted to roleplay, progress, and accessorize a character with loot.  Or if I wanted to build a town, why would I play Super Mario brothers?   

I'm sort of blown away that I never took this perspective to heart.    It also may be the exact reason I can't stand the sandbox choices we have today (aside from EVE.  Active or Inactive subscription, the game is a part of my soul.)  

All the sandbox options today are just not hitting the mark.  As lok said, they are either "play house and gather and farm and watch it all be destroyed by trolls/kids" or it's "kill everything and everyone everywhere and there's nothing else to do" ---   I don't think people like myself want to play either of those kinds of games.    I'd like freedom to play how I wish, when I wish, for as long as I wish, and I'd like the time that I do play to provide opportunity to impact the world my character is a part of.  If that means building a house, or picking up a mug of ale and placing it on another table, it's still better than just logging in to raid, or to shoot stuff.    I don't need to be able to kill every player I see, or destroy their property.    But I'd also like there to be a "way" to do those things.  I.e. war declaration system or bounty system or criminal system, etc