Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is the expansion worth it?

Comments

• HalorXHalorX Member UncommonPosts: 4
    For what I have read, it seems that people dont want to play too much to get everything. I dont get it. When I purchase HoT, I expect to have hours of content.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Torval said:
    Scorchien said:
    Scorchien said:
    Vannor said:
    Scorchien said:
      What did GW 2 inovate ?

Events.. although Rift did these first the approach is very different. TBH though I think Rift did them better, less scripted, but many would disagree.

No trinity.

Introducing ways for players to want to play together even though they don't know each other... without making them actively choose to do it.

Weapon skills/Weapon Swapping.

Real underwater combat with it's own set of skills to use.

Dungeon paths, 8 dungeons was actually 32.

Fractals.

Always personal loot.

Personal gathering.

There's many more...

Innovate does not mean invent.

Nothing on that list was done by Gw2 first ...
    1.    Events -laughable , many games have done this dating back to Asherons Call ...Warhammer , Rift .. Nothing inovative
    2.       Trinity - Laughable ... UO had no trinity 17 years ago .. Asherons Call as well ... Nothing Innovative
    3..lmfao really so weak not even worth a reply.. nothing Innovative
    4.. Weapon Swapping with skills ... errr UO again
    5. Real Underwater combat ... Even EQ had underwater combat and it was very real ... Placing a different set of pixels in your hand with a new bloom effect .. Is not innovative (see stripe on TP) :)
    6 . Dungeon Paths .. Laughable several games did this prior to GW2 .. nothing innovative
    7.Fractals ... lol really .. same as above lil dungeons with stages .. Done before .. Nothing innovative
    8.Personal Loot .. many games did this prior to GW2 .. Nothing innovative
    9.Personal Gathering .. Many games again . give personal loot and carfting mats , long before GW2 ..
    Innovate doe have a meaning tho .. and nothing on your list applies
    Innovation can mean bringing new ideas and methods to an existing concept. Arena Net didn't have to invent those ideas to innovate with them, which they clearly did innovate.

They took the idea of public quests and brought new ideas and methods to implementing them. They took existing ideas of open tapping, weapon swapping, combat roles, and other systems and added new ideas and methods of implementation.

Innovate does have a meaning: "to introduce something new; make changes in anything established" [dictionary.com]. It's helpful to understand the definition before lecturing others that they don't know it.

Once again . for those that didnt actually read the thread and post knee-jerk .. To tkae anothers ideas and be innovative . it should be noteworthy improvemnets to previous ideas... Gw2 did not do that with any of these things in many peoples view ... ( adding stripes to toilet paper is not innovative ) which is what Arena-Net did in all these things .. if that .. but thx for all your hard work looking up definitions for us ...it was ... err helpful .. lmfao
  • StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779
    Scorchien said:
    Torval said:
    Scorchien said:
    Scorchien said:
    Vannor said:
    Scorchien said:
      What did GW 2 inovate ?

Events.. although Rift did these first the approach is very different. TBH though I think Rift did them better, less scripted, but many would disagree.

No trinity.

Introducing ways for players to want to play together even though they don't know each other... without making them actively choose to do it.

Fractals.

Always personal loot.

Personal gathering.

There's many more...

1.    Events -laughable , many games have done this dating back to Asherons Call ...Warhammer , Rift .. Nothing inovative
    2.       Trinity - Laughable ... UO had no trinity 17 years ago .. Asherons Call as well ... Nothing Innovative
    5. Real Underwater combat ... Even EQ had underwater combat and it was very real ... Placing a different set of pixels in your hand with a new bloom effect .. Is not innovative (see stripe on TP) :)
    6 . Dungeon Paths .. Laughable several games did this prior to GW2 .. nothing innovative
    7.Fractals ... lol really .. same as above lil dungeons with stages .. Done before .. Nothing innovative
    9.Personal Gathering .. Many games again . give personal loot and carfting mats , long before GW2 ..
    Innovation can mean bringing new ideas and methods to an existing concept. Arena Net didn't have to invent those ideas to innovate with them, which they clearly did innovate.

They took the idea of public quests and brought new ideas and methods to implementing them. They took existing ideas of open tapping, weapon swapping, combat roles, and other systems and added new ideas and methods of implementation.

Innovate does have a meaning: "to introduce something new; make changes in anything established" [dictionary.com]. It's helpful to understand the definition before lecturing others that they don't know it.

Once again . for those that didnt actually read the thread and post knee-jerk .. To tkae anothers ideas and be innovative . it should be noteworthy improvemnets to previous ideas... Gw2 did not do that with any of these things in many peoples view ... ( adding stripes to toilet paper is not innovative ) which is what Arena-Net did in all these things .. if that .. but thx for all your hard work looking up definitions for us ...it was ... err helpful .. lmfao
    This statement is subjective. A personal opinion.

Your previous statements suggest they should have been first to creating the features you listed.

Being corrected by multiple folks is lmfao.
    MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    So according to some here , every single game ever made since the 80s single player games , thru the 90s with the begiining of MMOs with NWN , and all following games have been innovative , since each and every game has expanded upoun in some small way a previous idea.. So every single game by this definiton has been innovative .. which makes  GW2 not very special at all .. or any other game ever made now does it ..

LMFAO at fanbois thinkin  puttin stripes on there toilet paper has been innovative ..

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Scorchien said:
    So according to some here , every single game ever made since the 80s single player games , thru the 90s with the begiining of MMOs with NWN , and all following games have been innovative , since each and every game has expanded upoun in some small way a previous idea.. So every single game by this definiton has been innovative .. which makes  GW2 not very special at all .. or any other game ever made now does it ..

LMFAO at fanbois thinkin  puttin stripes on there toilet paper has been innovative ..

Yeah, well, before stripped toilet paper, I've never been able to line up the skid marks. Now they are all in a straight line. So yeah.....it's innovative.
  • YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    edited October 2015
    My vote is a bit skewered by the fact that I'm judging it based on the $99 version, of which I do not believe the game itself is worth.  Is it worth $50 in general?  To many, I'm sure it would be.

My main issues with the game so far is that we haven't had it in our hands long enough to really tell.  I've essentially quit because the new areas have monsters that can one shot you pretty easily.  Have events that can overwhelm you due to so many people around who don't have specializations or masteries.  I'd imagine when we have multiple Glints and Druids around, things will be easier with their passive 33% damage reduction for all allies and massive heals.

Though there are way too many monsters, as usual, that cause plate wearers to run away or run while swinging.  Even tutorials to tell you to run away as melee because you aren't suppose to melee as melee against them.  Namely, the bees and a host of other new monsters.  People who play plate wearers typically don't want to run away, though it may be a grand time for leather and cloth people all the same.

Masteries seem interesting in terms of new progressions.  The raid boss that was tested in beta seemed to be difficult.  Specializations might be game changing when most people have them.  Though as it stands now I don't appreciate the possibility of being KO'd simply because of RNG or bad luck with a monster or monsters repeatedly targeting you with you using all evades and skills available and hoping your supposed allies are targeted (or bringing monsters to them)... especially if you are a plate wearer or melee.  It's just annoying having to perform such dishonorable tactics as a melee fighter in a game.  In groups, you can call it tactics all you want to try and do this, but I call it cowardice either way... and doubly so if you aren't in a group.  But this is okay, since everyone is able to revive?  These cheap shots?  It is a horrible design that existed when the game started and was eased upon for world non-boss fights.  Though with the introduction of Tanking Revenants and Healing Druids and Revenants, much of this might be settled given enough time and observation by players and the developers.  New metas to form and such.

Storyline has been vastly improved over the original game.  If not for having to grind masteries to unlock the ability to get to the next points in it, I'd say it would almost be worth it by itself in terms of the price of the Heart of Thorns expansion.
    Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    Vannor said:
    Scorchien said:
    Scorchien said:
    Vannor said:
    Scorchien said:
      /snip
      What did GW 2 inovate ?

No trinity.

Fractals.

Always personal loot.

Personal gathering.

There's many more...

You still going now that you've figured out what innovate means? Again.. you keep saying something else did it first... Innovate does not mean invent. Shall I repeat that again the next time you post? It means taking something and either 1. Adding things to it 2. Modernising it (which GW2 did with almost everything) or 3. Changing certain aspects of it. Innovate does not necessarily mean made better. Saying GW2 is like EQ, AC or UO is absolutely ridiculous. It isn't  and when you can come to terms with what I'm saying here you'll know that it's an innovative game.

Is GW2 like the games you claim to have done these things before? Is the underwater combat in EQ like in GW2? When was personal loot done in an MMO before? I don't mean allocated loot, I don't mean roundhouse corpse looting while in a group and I don't mean rolling... I mean personal loot.

If you can admit that GW2 isn't like the other games you claim did everything innovative that GW2 does first.. then just move on mate. You're properly wasting your time. If you think GW2 is like UO, EQ and AC then you might as well stop trying to convince others with your way of thinking because it is clearly wrong.

everyones wrong but you right vannor? you are the be all end all of knowledge.... like you slammed me earlier about how I think but I chose to ignore you but post after post you show exactly how much more ignorant you can possibly get here with telling everyone how wrong they are. GW2 does absolutely nothing innovative if people throw around the world of using other games ideas and making them better than wow is the most innovative game ever released.....good grief....
  • CooperstownCooperstown Member UncommonPosts: 32
    Malabooga said:
    The percentages in the poll have not changed. From the beginning of the thread, the number of positives vs. the regrets has held at roughly 2 to one. It's the number of people who haven't purchased that I am wondering about. Is that usually this high for an expansion in a high profile game?
    You have to ask? On this site? lol

Just see some of the names that trolled GW2 topics for 3 years claiming they now bought the expansion and its not worth it. You have to wonder, but then if they DID buy it (very doubtful), joke is on them.
    All one has to do is view the official forums to see all the complaints. Having played for the majority of the weekend since the first day of expansion release. I say their complaints are quite valid.

This thread is quite useful to find out if the expansion is for you:

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/hot/How-would-you-rate-the-HoT-Fun-Factor/first

I think is justified to say the expansion is a failure . . . im back into other games now.
  • avalon1000avalon1000 Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Malabooga said:
    The percentages in the poll have not changed. From the beginning of the thread, the number of positives vs. the regrets has held at roughly 2 to one. It's the number of people who haven't purchased that I am wondering about. Is that usually this high for an expansion in a high profile game?

Just see some of the names that trolled GW2 topics for 3 years claiming they now bought the expansion and its not worth it. You have to wonder, but then if they DID buy it (very doubtful), joke is on them.
    All one has to do is view the official forums to see all the complaints. Having played for the majority of the weekend since the first day of expansion release. I say their complaints are quite valid.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/hot/How-would-you-rate-the-HoT-Fun-Factor/first

I think is justified to say the expansion is a failure . . . im back into other games now.
    Read the reviews. When are game devs going to realize WE DON'T LIKE TO GRIND our way through a game? Also, after watching a video of the expac it looked like the gliding wings timed out...is  that true? If so that is really really bad design. 
  • CooperstownCooperstown Member UncommonPosts: 32
    Malabooga said:

Read the reviews. When are game devs going to realize WE DON'T LIKE TO GRIND our way through a game? Also, after watching a video of the expac it looked like the gliding wings timed out...is  that true? If so that is really really bad design. 
    AMEN BROTHER
  • cerulean2012cerulean2012 Member UncommonPosts: 492
    OP, bottom line...  if you like GW2 then you most likely will like the expansion and feel it is worth it.

If you really don't care for GW2 then the expansion will not help.
  • time007time007 Member UncommonPosts: 1,062
    no

IMPORTANT:  Please keep all replies to my posts about GAMING.  Please no negative or backhanded comments directed at me personally.  If you are going to post a reply that includes how you feel about me, please don't bother replying & just ignore my post instead.  I'm on this forum to talk about GAMING.  Thank you.
  • AshfordThunderAshfordThunder Member UncommonPosts: 23
    I'm pretty sure half of people voted no didn't even play HoT, some of them have a history of hating on gw2 and said GW2 is the worst game and they will never buy the game or expansion.
  • AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550
    I'm pretty sure half of people voted no didn't even play HoT, some of them have a history of hating on gw2 and said GW2 is the worst game and they will never buy the game or expansion.
    Never said GW2 is the worst game or that I'd never buy the game or expansion.

So when I voted no. I guess my word must have weight then.
  • AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550
    Quite incorrect. There is only one way to advance in the new HoT masteries. That is only by doing the same PVE events in the new zone area over and over. You do not have a choice.

People have already expressed this complaint in threads such as this one that plague the official forums.

Why do you want to advance the HoT masteries if you don't want to play HoT?

If you want to unlock the elite spec you can play WvW.

Last I checked, Arena Net have disabled the WvW vendors to do so. Because so many were going to WvW to avoid playing their awful jungle "content".
  • KalmporosKalmporos Member UncommonPosts: 293
    Vannor said:

You still going now that you've figured out what innovate means? Again.. you keep saying something else did it first... Innovate does not mean invent. Shall I repeat that again the next time you post? It means taking something and either 1. Adding things to it 2. Modernising it (which GW2 did with almost everything) or 3. Changing certain aspects of it. Innovate does not necessarily mean made better. Saying GW2 is like EQ, AC or UO is absolutely ridiculous. It isn't  and when you can come to terms with what I'm saying here you'll know that it's an innovative game.

Is GW2 like the games you claim to have done these things before? Is the underwater combat in EQ like in GW2? When was personal loot done in an MMO before? I don't mean allocated loot, I don't mean roundhouse corpse looting while in a group and I don't mean rolling... I mean personal loot.

If you can admit that GW2 isn't like the other games you claim did everything innovative that GW2 does first.. then just move on mate. You're properly wasting your time. If you think GW2 is like UO, EQ and AC then you might as well stop trying to convince others with your way of thinking because it is clearly wrong.

Still writing? 
    Don't waste time in this troll hole brother, there is grind to be done and It ain't gonna be done by itself.

PS. I'm with you bro, I believe that GW2 innovated grinding just fine.
  • d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    edited October 2015
    bcbully said: Let's be far now there is a entire forum talking about the same things.
    https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/hot
      This thread convinced me not to buy for now. I liked original GW2 because I could solo or group at my convenience. I don't want to be forced, pressured, or encouraged to group. I don't want the game's invisible hand pushing me that way. It's one of the reasons I was turned off to ESO's Craglorn and IC content.

Is it hard to progress without grouping?

Grouping should be optional for instances, raids, and so on. Better yet, for me, instances should be scalable from solo to various group sizes.

Meanwhile, I'm having a blast with SWTOR.

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134

its pretty normal, to hate something, you didnt pay for

should i start buying justin bieber music, so im allowed to hate him?

i paid for this expansion, and i hate it

no more preorders ...EVER!!!

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134
    OP, bottom line...  if you like GW2 then you most likely will like the expansion and feel it is worth it.

again...no

this is NOTHING like the core game

this is a hardcore version of silverwastes

its a bloody trainwreck, and the devs are panicking

• SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114
    Quite incorrect. There is only one way to advance in the new HoT masteries. That is only by doing the same PVE events in the new zone area over and over. You do not have a choice.

People have already expressed this complaint in threads such as this one that plague the official forums.

Why do you want to advance the HoT masteries if you don't want to play HoT?

If you want to unlock the elite spec you can play WvW.

Last I checked, Arena Net have disabled the WvW vendors to do so. Because so many were going to WvW to avoid playing their awful jungle "content".
    1) There are 4 huge new PvE zones for players to participate in [besides earning the tokens in WvW that can be turned in once the exploit is fixed].  Everything that can earn XP in the Jungle from events to Story missions to Adventure challenges and even gathering will progress Mastery gain.   Since they are account bound, players can run alt character(s) through the Story again and gain huge XP amounts through that.  So no, "don't the same PvE events over and over" is not necessary unless going for maxing out the more high-end Masteries and even then it is kind of a stretch.

2) They disabled it for a short time because there was an exploit with it to obtain a huge ton of Badges of Heroes from it.  Nothing to do with "avoiding playing jungle content".     Might want to fact check things before you try to spread agenda pushing lies:  https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3qctyt/heroics_notary_vendor_disabled/cwe37bf

• HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    Malabooga said:

Failure to who? People who wise to be rewarded for putting one foot in front of the other? If it's not catering to them, then I see that as a success. I don't play the game, but It' high time more MMMORPGs return to rewarding people for playing the game than skipping shit.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    cronius77 said:
    Vannor said:
    Scorchien said:
    Scorchien said:
    Vannor said:
    Scorchien said:
      /snip
      What did GW 2 inovate ?

No trinity.

Fractals.

Always personal loot.

Personal gathering.

There's many more...

everyones wrong but you right vannor? you are the be all end all of knowledge.... like you slammed me earlier about how I think but I chose to ignore you but post after post you show exactly how much more ignorant you can possibly get here with telling everyone how wrong they are. GW2 does absolutely nothing innovative if people throw around the world of using other games ideas and making them better than wow is the most innovative game ever released.....good grief....

No one has convinced me GW2 isn't innovative.. All that's happening here is a few are complaining about me personally because they don't like what I'm saying... or maybe how I'm saying it, whatever. No one is responding to 'what' I'm actually saying. That is ignorant. You even said you ignored me earlier.. which is prime ignorance lol. This can be a discussion or a trolling session, I don't care either way.

You guys are funny, seriously. Sometimes you're just wrong. Like I said, doesn't matter to me who likes the game and I have my own issues with it. I can totally understand why someone wouldn't like GW2. This started by someone insinuating GW2 has nothing innovative in it and that's simply not true. It's not about being right or wrong.. it's about what is and isn't.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Kalmporos said:
    Vannor said:

Still writing? 
    Don't waste time in this troll hole brother, there is grind to be done and It ain't gonna be done by itself.

PS. I'm with you bro, I believe that GW2 innovated grinding just fine.

I agree, it has innovated grinding. Well done.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    edited October 2015

Now that I have said that, I feel I need to be clear on something, One of my biggest criticisms of GW2 was around their "innovation" Their motivation was all wrong. They were to focused on creating a game that should have been called "NOTWoW Online" 

I'll pick a few from the list.

Events?  What was one of the biggest complaints about GW2? As I recall People really weren't embracing the whole concept of the personal story. But that's the trade off for Dynamic Events. What they couldn't do in the open world, they did with the PS.

The No Trinity? For as much as they made it work, they broke it too. Again, the system brought as much wrong with it as it did right...A Trade Off

Weapon Skills? That wasn't really innovation To be fair, Anarchy Online had equipped weapon based skills back in 2001.

Personal nodes? Yeah, the supply was overwhelming and demand went to shit so it became pointless to gather. WTF when you could buy it from the TP for little more than vendor trash.

I'll stop there, but IMO, for many new things that GW2 brought to the table, they lost something valuable from it.

I also want to be fair about the game.....meaning, I still want to and am leaning towards buying the expansion. I think it would at least leave me feeling I got my money's worth.
    It is all we need for it to be called innovative.

Most fantasy games follow the WoW model and WoW is itself a much more polished and friendly EQ.

Events works and keep the zones alive. PS problems have nothing to do with events. The HoT personal story and Living Story season 2 have been quite good.

PS problems are too many meaningless choices that dilute the story by each race and choice and cute scenes where 2 characters were standing looking at each other.

One of the few games with no trinity and if wasn't for bugs/exploits (like skipping, line casting, AI bugging) the build would be much more varied. But that is why people complain how HoT is hard while running glass cannons.

Weapon skills with action combat/tab hybrid. Again naming a dozen games to cover all GW2 feature set proves GW2 is innovative as it is incorporating all those features.

You haven't checked the trading post have you? What materials can you gather that you can buy for barely vendor price?

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    simplius said:

again...no

this is NOTHING like the core game

this is a hardcore version of silverwastes

its a bloody trainwreck, and the devs are panicking

It is a much improved version of silverwastes, one of the most popular GW2 maps.

Last time I saw the core gaming has leveling, you don't start with all skills and traits.
    The mastery system is an account wide leveling system with the Hero points acting as a character based leveling.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders