Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Healers/Support

AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854
I'm making this thread in the hopes that I might have missed a game that has what I want.

Essentially, I'm looking for an MMO that has a healer (or support) class that is not so spam-oriented. The best example I could think of is the White Mage or Scholar from FFXIV, but I'm slightly burned out on that game so I'm looking for an alternative. In most MMOs I just seem to constantly spam various healing spells with very little concern for strategies. That's been my issue with RIFT and WoW for example, I feel like a heal-bot stuck on pressing 1-4 keys over and over again and occasionally pressing a different one because someone decided it'd be fun to have a picnic in a pool of lava. Whereas in FFXIV, healing seems a bit more calculated so to speak, perhaps due to the longer Global Cooldown, I feel like a player rather than a bot.

Right now I'm getting my Healer-fix from MOBAs, but it's not exactly my preferred genre.

Comments

• MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786
    I have not found one. Vanguard used to have very interesting healers.  Hopefully someone else will have some ideas.  I can tell that SWTOR does not have interesting healers.

Bumped for you.

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

• laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    edited October 2015
    Everquest 2 had an amazing range of healers. The game is a little old now - and the community is dwindling, so it may or may not be a viable option.

1. It has direct healers - your usual refill health with a spell.
    2. It also has over time healers - you need to make sure your healing effects are on the right people, then it keeps them alive through passive healing.
    3. I played a mystic - a healer working with shields. The idea there is to prevent damage as much as possible, heal what is left to go through.
    4. There are also several supportive classes - replenishing mana, buffing mages and physical classes. Some reduce cooldowns. These were all actually very viable in endgame, which is not something common in recent games.
    Each type also always comes in 2-3 different classes. The shielding healer came in two classes (mystic/defiler). Mystic was more about group shielding and buffs, while defiler was more about debuffing the enemy. So the variety really is unprecedented.

I played it "competetively" about 4 years ago, running the very end game content. The main thing I loved about the game was that with a 5-person group, you really wanted to consider which classes to take with you.

It definitely wasn't the case of "let's get 5 dps and faceroll it". Healers were extremely viable and I sometimes even preferred 1 tank, 2 heals, 2 dps. Or you could do 1 tank, 1 heal, 1 support, 2 dps.

If the community is still somewhat decent, I can greatly recommend it.

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854
    MMOman101 said:
    I have not found one. Vanguard used to have very interesting healers.  Hopefully someone else will have some ideas.  I can tell that SWTOR does not have interesting healers.

Bumped for you.
    Haha, I've tried SWTOR a few months ago and came to the same conclusion.
    laxie said:
    Everquest 2 had an amazing range of healers. The game is a little old now - and the community is dwindling, so it may or may not be a viable option.

If the community is still somewhat decent, I can greatly recommend it.

I've tried it two or three times since it went F2P, but I could never get into it. It's a little too old and there wasn't too many people around either ("everyone is already at end-game" issue that plagues MMOs). Thanks for the suggestion anyway, I'll have to keep looking.