Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Newb questions!

ExekileExekile Member UncommonPosts: 80

Hello,
I was thinking about starting to play L2.
Which server is best for a newbie? I was thinking about Sieg, since a friend of mine plays there. Though if that's a bad choice, please say so.

Also: Can people attack you in towns, where there are guards and so on? If so, isn't there any place that you can't be attacked in? (Where there are like guards to defend you)

And finally, What do you think about sieges? Since that is the main reason I am starting to play, PVP, Large scale battles with hundreds of players. How often do you get to see a battle like that?

Thank you,
Exekile

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003

You can't be attacked in town. People can lead mobs into town and if you get killed then "tough luck". Usually there are players who can take care of them though. There used to be a problem wth "led mobs" attacking stores but they fixed this.

Other than that you can be attacked everywhere else.

Sieges are great and are really the only reason I play.

This is a hard game. I really feel you need to go to the official site and read the posts there to get a better idea of "where" you want to play and "how" the game is played. Not for the faint of heart.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905

My personal opinion is you should talk with your friend and stick with him ingame. Hopefully he has a guild to introduce you to. It will make life in L2 a bit easier.

You can not be attacked in town by other players. Random ganking can be a pain in the starter area, especially if you choose a Human. Once you leave the starter zone, its not bad at all. (Choose your fights carefully outside the starter areas, it could cost you dearly :) and thats the beauty of the game, it keeps you on your toes and always thinking.

If you do play here are a few of my quick tips....Make lots of friends fast. L2 survival and enjoyment is 100% dependent on it. Don't worry about leveling. Levels will come, focus on the economy. The economy is easily the MOST brutal aspect of the game. If you level to fast and outgrow your gear before you can afford an upgrade, you will have issues. Enjoy the game. Get it into your head you will have setbacks. People will kill you, mobs will kill you, you might lose a good piece of gear or a level. Poop happens. L2 has some fantastic graphics, its not as hard as non-players say it is, the community is really good. You have many leveling spots to choose from at most levels, you DO NOT need to grind in the same spot on the same mobs like non-players say. (unless you enjoy that sort of thing)

I played many mmorpgs (in fact I just cancelled my WoW account for the second time last night, I have 2 level 60s and one of them is a knight capt. PvP) L2 is really unique because of the "risk" involved every minute of the game. WoW is OK. Lots and lots of kill task quest, its fast paced and fast leveling but its sooo darn easy. There is no thrill or sense of accomplishment. Weee Im level 60 with an epic mount....like everyone else.

• Ranma13Ranma13 Member Posts: 747

Lionna is the unofficial RP server if you're into that.

Talking Island (and maybe the other starting zones, I don't know) has been reinforced with many guards that will attack red players on sight. It's not completely safe (I got PK'ed once in the Elven Ruins, where there are no guards) but it's a lot safer than it used to be.

Now is a great time for new players to join the game (I'm one of them). The 4th Chronicle has made it much easier for newbies to level up by giving free buffs. The more levels you gain, the better the buffs, making leveling a breeze. These buffs also last an hour before wearing off so you have ample time to go hunting (the normal buff time is 20 minutes).

You also get to select a free weapon to use as a new player. This weapon is equivalent to the best weapon available on Talking Island, and you get it at level 6! Plus, you can go to the shops and exchange your equipment instead of selling your old one and buying a new one. This way, you only pay the difference for the equipment instead of paying the mark-up/mark-down for buy/sell. Many people were surprised that I had the mage robes (an armor you can't buy on Talking Island that costs quite a bit) when I was only level 17. They thought I was twinked but I told them I was a new player with no friends.

These newbie bonuses last up to level 25, but keep in mind it's for NEW players only and only applies to the first character to reach level 6.