Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Smedley Admits that Lucas Arts wanted the NGE... not SOE

2»

Comments

• chlaoschlaos Member Posts: 1,118

Originally posted by Aikes

He also replies about to the Shadows In Motion article that shows almost no one playing these days.
    Amazing that Smedley can speak about it, CBS can speak about it, but if we speak about it the thread is deleted eh?

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/02/21/tech/gamecore/main1335511.shtml

What do you mean?   Since when are posts about Smed, the NGE, or how bad SOE is deleted?   I see them all over the place, and rightly so.    image

"The man who exchanges Liberty for Iconic classes is a fool deserving of neither." - Me and Ben Franklin

• SelothSeloth Member Posts: 388

going to agree with Fadeus

never played EQII (sorry eq gave me hives), but I will trust him on that game. SWG was so full of potential at lauch, you could see the where they "appeared" to be going with it. there were hooks to add on more content, there was the first story arc that started great (fizzled later with dev interference), and gods the battlegrounds even buggy were a blast for my guild to mess with.

Before you say it was so buggy at launch, yes I know it was! but then frankly in the MMORPG at that point all the games I have tried, played, experienced where pretty buggy at laught (AO anyone?, EB, had some ammusing issues at launch).

SWG could have been the next great game if the support team and developers had stayed true to what the game desingers had given them, fix the bugs, add content (no adding jedi does not equate to content), develop and expanding what they had. Sadly instead we go nerfs, revamps, Combat downgrades, and now in the end a New Gross Experience.

• SelothSeloth Member Posts: 388

oh and about the original starting topic.

it was my understandign that NGE came about somewhat like this:

LA tells SoE that they are nto happy that the elves and orcs have more subs over at wow, do something.

SoE tells the deves that LA is not happy.

A dev (this has appeared in a blog or three that i know of) pulls the lead of SWG into his cubical and shows him/her a FPS version of the game that he has been toying with.

seeing something "new and hoopy" grabs the very much of a jsut a concept and not a complete fleshout out system and turns it into a proposal to the heads of SoE.

SoE has something to take back to LA and show them that they are doing "something" to address the mear 250-3090k subscriptions.

LA never having run a MMORPG see this as a version of battlefield (a successful console/pc stand alone game) embrace it and give a green light WITH an order to have it live at a set date.

SoE green lights the devs to make it so but x date.

the dev that was tinkering with NGE, now has to show the rest of the staff what he is thinking, and in a few short months a game that took what 2 years to develop was reworked by a staff of maintence devs in what, 5 months?

(with all respect to the current devs, there is a huge difference between a team building something from the start, breaking new ground and the b team that was put in place to edit and fix pre-exsisting code.  like the difference between and author and the editoral staff)

• ShaydeShayde Member Posts: 4,529

Originally posted by Seloth
    oh and about the original starting topic.
    it was my understandign that NGE came about somewhat like this:
    LA tells SoE that they are nto happy that the elves and orcs have more subs over at wow, do something.
    SoE tells the deves that LA is not happy.
    A dev (this has appeared in a blog or three that i know of) pulls the lead of SWG into his cubical and shows him/her a FPS version of the game that he has been toying with.
    seeing something "new and hoopy" grabs the very much of a jsut a concept and not a complete fleshout out system and turns it into a proposal to the heads of SoE.
    SoE has something to take back to LA and show them that they are doing "something" to address the mear 250-3090k subscriptions.
    LA never having run a MMORPG see this as a version of battlefield (a successful console/pc stand alone game) embrace it and give a green light WITH an order to have it live at a set date.
    SoE green lights the devs to make it so but x date.
    the dev that was tinkering with NGE, now has to show the rest of the staff what he is thinking, and in a few short months a game that took what 2 years to develop was reworked by a staff of maintence devs in what, 5 months?
    (with all respect to the current devs, there is a huge difference between a team building something from the start, breaking new ground and the b team that was put in place to edit and fix pre-exsisting code. like the difference between and author and the editoral staff)

Yes.. THAT'S what I'm referring to.

LA dev fiddled with it, smed loved it and sold LA on it and the nge was born.

Shayde - SWG (dead)
    Proud member of the Cabal.

imageimage
    It sounds great, so great in fact, I pitty those who canceled :( - Some deluded SWG fanboi who pities me.
    I don't like it when you say things. - A Vanguard fan who does too.
    09f911029d74e35bd84156c5635688c0

• Aikes1Aikes1 Member Posts: 292

Originally posted by chlaos

He also replies about to the Shadows In Motion article that shows almost no one playing these days.
    Amazing that Smedley can speak about it, CBS can speak about it, but if we speak about it the thread is deleted eh?

What do you mean?   Since when are posts about Smed, the NGE, or how bad SOE is deleted?   I see them all over the place, and rightly so.    image

It was my post about Shadows In Motion that was deleted. MMORPG and several other forum web sites were deleting any mention or link to the Shodows In Motion website calling it illegal and hacked information.

It took a national news agency asking Smedley about it to get that stopped I guess.

Now, why would they delete information? I dont know. Ask MMORPG, ask SWG-Stratics, ask SOE.

Thanks for your bump to my post thread, even if you seemed to have no reason for asking anything. You are basically calling me a liar I know, but I dont mind. I have done my fair share of reporting info on SOE and SWG. I have had a lot of my post deleted simply for giving out Smedley's office phone number. I didnt do that this time.

/sigh

"SWG was a world, now it's just a game" -adamrk-

"When the game was good, you didn't have to ask where the population was, because it was everywhere. When the game was good you didn't have to ask which server had population, because they all did. When the game was good you didn't have to beg friends to give it a try, because they were already playing. " - Salty Pete

• porgieporgie Member Posts: 1,516

Whoa!!!  You have CBS News on your side?

There's not stopping you now.  I bet that SWG is going to die in no time with this revelation.

I wonder if they'll show this on their world news reports and stuff.  It's about time they do.  I mean this effected so many peoples lives so harshly.  I think they totally should.  Along with some taped interviews of some of it's ex players crying.  Maybe you guys could get together and have them tape you burning a Smedley effigy or something.

-----------------------
    </OBAMA>

• mystitiggermystitigger Member Posts: 167

Aikes, you are a true hero.

I applaud you for all the work you've done against SOE ::::08::

• admriker444admriker444 Member Posts: 1,526

Of course Smed is going to try and pass some blame off. His job is on the line.

Everyone knows this NGE garbage is 99% SOE's fault.

Facts - a SOE dev posted on his blog about how he came up with the NGE idea, pitched it to Torres and then secretly developed it for a year.

Facts - SOE has another DC comic mmo in development that will also use a crappy FPS style NGE system. coincidence ? I think not. If anything, SWG was viewed as a failure and SOE decided to use it as a testbed for their dc mmo

The only blame LA has on their laps is Torres approving this junk

• CelestianCelestian Member UncommonPosts: 1,136

Originally posted by admriker444

I dunno what you're whining about, SWG is 10 times better now than it was.

How many people wanna play a freaking Star Wars game for 6 months before they can actually BE a jedi? not many.

Fact is the game was boring as hell and thank god they changed it.

Originally posted by Celestian

How many people wanna play a freaking Star Wars game for 6 months before they can actually BE a jedi? not many.

you and the 200 other people playing on your server should have fun now that you simply log into the game to be jedi.

The other 10000 people that left each server, including me, have a different idea of fun that includes being challenged.

The lousy players who never had the patience, determination, fortitude, or ability are in love with NGE. Most of them are now proclaiming themselves great PvPers now that the people who always ran them down laughing are gone. Have fun, enjoy yourself. Heaven knows I did... killing so many just like you who went Bounty Hunter only because they couldnt hack getting Jedi Pre-CU.

And yes, I was BH twice, on both my characters. It only took a week to grind it but many of you cried that the investigation tree took too long also.

"When the game was good, you didn't have to ask where the population was, because it was everywhere. When the game was good you didn't have to ask which server had population, because they all did. When the game was good you didn't have to beg friends to give it a try, because they were already playing. " - Salty Pete

Originally posted by porgie

Whoa!!!  You have CBS News on your side?
    There's not stopping you now.  I bet that SWG is going to die in no time with this revelation.
    I wonder if they'll show this on their world news reports and stuff.  It's about time they do.  I mean this effected so many peoples lives so harshly.  I think they totally should.  Along with some taped interviews of some of it's ex players crying.  Maybe you guys could get together and have them tape you burning a Smedley effigy or something.

I love when babes reach the age where they start to experiment with sarcasm.

• MeFartsSmellMeFartsSmell Member Posts: 225

thank god for smed dat dude is nefty

Whannnnn Whannnnn dat is the sound of 20 year old babies

• BissrokBissrok Member Posts: 1,002

Christ, I thought he was joking at first. Then I saw he's got almost 1000 hours on WoW.

But yes, thank God they made it more Star Warsy. That really drew in the big crowds. Plus, now people who don't understand complicated professions like 'creature handler' won't feel left out.

• akewlguyakewlguy Member Posts: 118

la didn't want the nge it was soe that wanted the nge. i have a friend at la who told me soe didn't even tell them about the nge and that they found out about it like we did.

Originally posted by akewlguy

la didn't want the nge it was soe that wanted the nge. i have a friend at la who told me soe didn't even tell them about the nge and that they found out about it like we did.

SOE cant do anything with or to the game unless LAE approves it. It has to do with a little license agreement that covers the game, game name, almost all characters, most of the names of the places, and a good percentage of the intellectual consept surrounding the whole theme.

Unless your "friend" is on the SWG team, Im sure he didnt find out until the rest of us did. That is how you keep secrets in this business. If your friend is "imaginary" then that would explain things even more.

• matraquematraque Member Posts: 1,431

Originally posted by DuraheLL
    ****ing bull**** *** idiots... were losing subscribers huh? Any idea WHY!? Because the game was like the most unpolished game EVER! Try smoothing the game and it would have been the best one ever.
    You dont have to balance 34 professions, but doing so it would seem a far more easy project than destroying the game. Morons!
    I cant believe they are such ***wipes... I mean, if they feared going out of business for losing people then what the heck did they expect from revamping the entire game? Unbelievable how this company handles this situation, STOP LYING dammit! You are so transparent! I HATE YOU!
    ... before I go on too hard, I will now breathe *Breathes*, Ok, so I just want my old game back, but polished. The game had the biggest diamond, but it never got polished to be of any worth...

LMAO.... sorry.

eqnext.wikia.com

• SpathotanSpathotan Member Posts: 3,928

Wow I think my eyes are starting to bleed.

"There's no star system Slave I can't reach, and there's no planet I can't find. There's nowhere in the Galaxy for you to run. Might as well give up now."
    — Boba Fett

Originally posted by chlaos

It was my post about Shadows In Motion that was deleted. MMORPG and several other forum web sites were deleting any mention or link to the Shodows In Motion website calling it illegal and hacked information.

It took a national news agency asking Smedley about it to get that stopped I guess.

Now, why would they delete information? I dont know. Ask MMORPG, ask SWG-Stratics, ask SOE.

Thanks for your bump to my post thread, even if you seemed to have no reason for asking anything. You are basically calling me a liar I know, but I dont mind. I have done my fair share of reporting info on SOE and SWG. I have had a lot of my post deleted simply for giving out Smedley's office phone number. I didnt do that this time.

/sigh

I realize my post may have seemed to be smart-ass in nature.  But that is not the way I meant it.   I had not been able to check the board much this week due to work, and was just wondering what had been going on.  

I see now what you meant.   I still dont get the furor and deletion of this information.  Its not hacking, its simply gathering info being sent out.   I realize im probably preaching to the choir here, but oh well.  

Anyway, sorry for the misunderstanding.

/cheers              image

"The man who exchanges Liberty for Iconic classes is a fool deserving of neither." - Me and Ben Franklin

Thanks Chlaos. We are all just victims of SOE and LAE here, no need for us to take it out on each other.

Best wishes to you in all your endeavors.

• HashmanHashman Member Posts: 649

I wander if Wizards of The Coast and Turbine ever have "conflicts of interest" about Dungeons and Dragons Online? ::::31::

• ShaydeShayde Member Posts: 4,529

Originally posted by Hashman
    I wander if Wizards of The Coast and Turbine ever have "conflicts of interest" about Dungeons and Dragons Online? ::::31::

They will.. rumor has it Wizards of the Coast didn't want it to suck.

It does.

It's not gonna be pretty.

Shayde - SWG (dead)
    Proud member of the Cabal.

imageimage
    It sounds great, so great in fact, I pitty those who canceled :( - Some deluded SWG fanboi who pities me.
    I don't like it when you say things. - A Vanguard fan who does too.
    09f911029d74e35bd84156c5635688c0

Thanks Chlaos. We are all just victims of SOE and LAE here, no need for us to take it out on each other.
    No doubt.
    Best wishes to you in all your endeavors.
    Same here. 
    /cheers  image

Oh and I love the Bush avatar.....image

• CutedgeCutedge Member Posts: 92

Originally posted by Shayde
    LA dev fiddled with it, smed loved it and sold LA on it and the nge was born.

If you're referring to the Shennanigans post for this info, then it's worth noting that it wasn't an LA dev who came up with NGE, although I'm sure they loved it.

Jeff Freeman, "Lead Game Play Designer"
    Mind, we have a Creative Director and that isn't me, and a Lead Designer and that isn't me either. They're both my bosses, even though my title's longer. And there's a whole plethora of producers and executives and executive producers above that.

So don't get the crazy notion that I'm "in charge" here. "The Man" is a many-headed beast called Management. I just try to help it make good decisions. With regard to game mechanics, it even lets me decide, sometimes.

So a few months ago The Man comes along and says "What can we do to make this the most fun game it can possibly be?"

It was the lead designer who holed-up in his office for a few days and then said, "Hey, come look at this."

There's no way we can do that.

There's no way we should do that.

Man that's fun.

The Man will never let us get away with doing that.

We can't do it.

We shouldn't do it.

Oh man that is fun.

When an executive producer sees something that is impossible to do, but which is too fun not to do, he makes a noise like "Hoooooooooph".

My job was to be the guy to say, "Yes we can do that." I had to say this about forty times a day for two months. Lead Designer said it too, of course, but no one believed him, because he's crazy. Obviously.

And they would only believe me for a few minutes at a time.

So basically Jeff Freeman and the lead designer came up with the NGE and pitched it after LA came to SOE and said "still not good enough" in terms of subs.