Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chronicles of Elyria | Maps, Cartography, and Navigation | MMORPG

2»

Comments

• alyndalealyndale Member UncommonPosts: 936
    To me, as we learn more about this new mmo, it is becoming evident that this may be a type of simulation mmo. It shows complexity and depth not previously experienced. I am following this mmo to learn more. It is too early for me to say one way or the other whether I shall support this attempt at a new generation mmo sim. However, I am enthusiastic about eventually watching future in game footage of many of these dynamic ideas put into place.

All I want is the truth
    Just gimme some truth
    John Lennon

• KalriannaKalrianna Member CommonPosts: 1
    So if you get lost in the forest/mountains and have no idea where to go to get back, what happens if the player logs off? Will the OPC head back to town on its own or remain lost?
  • JeromyWalshJeromyWalsh Soulbound StudiosMember UncommonPosts: 134
    Kalrianna said:
    So if you get lost in the forest/mountains and have no idea where to go to get back, what happens if the player logs off? Will the OPC head back to town on its own or remain lost?
    Great question! Because of the way the OPC scripting work, your OPC would remain lost.
    Jeromy Walsh, 
    Owner/CEO of Soulbound Studios
    ChroniclesOfElyria.com
  • AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,797
    Kalrianna said:
    Great question! Because of the way the OPC scripting work, your OPC would remain lost.
    What happens if a MOB happens upon them while logged off?
    Is there going to be a way to "hide"? A skill? A means to quickly build a makeshift hidey-hole?

I liked UO's idea of those sleeping bag things (I forget what they called them) that allowed a player to quickly log off. In your case, without the character actually logging out of the world, it seems like some sort of extra concealment might be a good thing.

Also, if the character is wanted for crimes, can they be captured while logged off?

For the record, I'm very excited about this game.

Once upon a time....

• ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,340
    ArChWind said:
    mistmaker said:
    Can this game be really made?
    yes and no. Depends on how much they raise in capital in this kickstarter. I would say at least 3 to 5 million on hardware alone then maybe 400 to 450 developers artists, programmers and engineers about 6 to 8 years to put it together. Other than that not a chance in hell.
    Challenge accepted.
    I only have to say that this is really interesting LOL. There seems to be some kind of doubt in my mind because I just don't quite get it. I mean the forest scene. It is just so how you say, stunning. I mean you say you don't have much animations yet these birds in flight just kind of puzzling why you would make such a complex animation for a screen shot yet can't show something simple. Birds in flight are probably the most complex of any animations made. OH I C NM you made the most complicated animations first!
    ArChWind — MMORPG.com Forums

If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.
  • TimberhickTimberhick Member UncommonPosts: 554
    After you read through their various articles about this game. Not hard to see Fail riding along side it.
    After you read through their various articles about this game. Not hard to see Fail riding along side it.
    Why?
    Have you read the various articles about it? Take items for example. The game supposedly has little to nil purchasable weapons, no +6 Holy Defenders laying around the market stalls. It's supposed to be all about crafting, all player driven. Except, here's the issue. It's a multi-step process for multiple players to make 1 item. however it only takes one player to steal it. Think about it. This isn't a level based game where being high level ensures a modicum of safety. This is a skill based game where getting one skill out of the 3-5 it takes for one player to craft part of an item will be a long arduous process. Or how's about the whole go to jail if caught they be pimpin. I murder your character and get caught eventually. I go to jail for X amount of years and one simple load screen later I'm right back playing. Because jail-time is instantaneous I lost maybe 1-2 minutes tops. You on the other hand spent 1-1000% longer than I did trying to get back to your body, finally gave up in frustration and ragequit. According to Soulbound Studios the longer it takes for you to find your corpse the more years are taken off your life span. Finding your corpse takes actual game time.
  • whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472
    Why?
    Have you read the various articles about it? Take items for example. The game supposedly has little to nil purchasable weapons, no +6 Holy Defenders laying around the market stalls. It's supposed to be all about crafting, all player driven. Except, here's the issue. It's a multi-step process for multiple players to make 1 item. however it only takes one player to steal it. Think about it. This isn't a level based game where being high level ensures a modicum of safety. This is a skill based game where getting one skill out of the 3-5 it takes for one player to craft part of an item will be a long arduous process. Or how's about the whole go to jail if caught they be pimpin. I murder your character and get caught eventually. I go to jail for X amount of years and one simple load screen later I'm right back playing. Because jail-time is instantaneous I lost maybe 1-2 minutes tops. You on the other hand spent 1-1000% longer than I did trying to get back to your body, finally gave up in frustration and ragequit. According to Soulbound Studios the longer it takes for you to find your corpse the more years are taken off your life span. Finding your corpse takes actual game time.
    You're also forgetting that that jail time takes away any stolen items and shaves off time from that characters life. the more crimes and the more severe it is the more time it takes off.  Stealing, murder, evading the law. That's 3 crimes right there.  Also the other guy gets a sort of trail (so it's not EQ style you die and respawn and you better have /loc or died near a landmark) to follow, the longer the life, the brighter the trail, friends also help and your "family" can help guide you as well. Of course we'll have to see how it's implement if/when the game actually releases, but i'd hold off saying it will fail outright.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

Yes, I've read all the developer journals.  So what you're saying is that the game will be hard?  Some people want that.  It's going to be a niche game.  Sure, it may fail, but I don't think that's a forgone conclusion just because it'll be a hard game.  And if something isn't working out the way the developer's thought it would they can make adjustments. 

No, some people profess to want that. Take a gander on their community forums, the amount of players having no real issues with thievery is a great clue about the class of player this game is drawing in.
    whilan said:
    Why?
    You're also forgetting that that jail time takes away any stolen items and shaves off time from that characters life. the more crimes and the more severe it is the more time it takes off.  Stealing, murder, evading the law. That's 3 crimes right there.  Also the other guy gets a sort of trail (so it's not EQ style you die and respawn and you better have /loc or died near a landmark) to follow, the longer the life, the brighter the trail, friends also help and your "family" can help guide you as well. Of course we'll have to see how it's implement if/when the game actually releases, but i'd hold off saying it will fail outright.
    I understand jail takes time off a character, but it is instant time, I am not forced to not play for X amount of days, etc. It 's a load screen at worst. OTOH you have to find your body taking up valuable ingame time.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    edited October 2015
    Perma death is just a death knell for any MMO.  No matter how you try to implement it, it will never ever work because you limit yourself to a very small audience.  You cannot keep a MMO running with such a small population.

And I am not even going to bother to talk about how much coding such a game would take...
  • mistmakermistmaker Member UncommonPosts: 321
    Perma death is cool ... If ... Big if ... Your internet connection doesnt break. Cant count those times back in diablo 2 hardcore losing due to internet connection. But playing hardcore was much more exciting...
  • AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812
    Good to see so many people debating the possibility of such a game with bright ideas. They are looking to appeal to the gamer's and as for hype they trying to keep that low as possible. They are keeping their feet on the ground and I also like Influence idea as this will keep people from trolling and being stupid to some extent. They have mentioned that they hope to have an alpha build by early spring 2016 and the people with high influence will be given the option of being invited into test the game. Great idea and I guess they will have some sort of influence built into their kick-starter when it finally goes live.

Asbo

• VictoriaRachelVictoriaRachel Member UncommonPosts: 79
    mistmaker said:
    Perma death is cool ... If ... Big if ... Your internet connection doesnt break. Cant count those times back in diablo 2 hardcore losing due to internet connection. But playing hardcore was much more exciting...
    There is a difference between perma-death and harcore mode. This game has perma-death, yes. However, it is not instant in the way you are thinking. Most 'deaths' will lead to simply becoming unconcious. Those ones that do force you to die, just reduce your over all life span. You will perma-die, but you will also get several months worth of content before that point. You will also perma-die if nothing goes wrong at all in game, just because of aging. It is a very different concept. I see 7-11 months per character being the norm.
    Author of the Elyria Echo. Follow us here @ElyriaEcho.
  • WizbuizWizbuiz Member UncommonPosts: 215
    To much talk to 0 gameplay
  • GiffenGiffen Member UncommonPosts: 276
    I guess I don't understand how out of game maps won't just replace in game maps. That's what happened in Everquest.
  • AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,797
    Giffen said:
    I guess I don't understand how out of game maps won't just replace in game maps. That's what happened in Everquest.
    Well, they will, of course.
    But they still will depend on players actually finding stuff through game play. That's immersive to me, to some extent (probably as much as one can expect), because of that player exploration requirement.

Those maps will change though. A constant need for new exploration and verification. And I like this, where players cooperate through organizations. Even if they are handled out-of-game to be used in-game.

There's also the in-game tools (compass, pocket sundial and sextant) that reinforce the in-game play.

If they do everything like this, this is going to be quite a game.

Once upon a time....

• Vada_GVada_G Member UncommonPosts: 85
    ArChWind said:
    mistmaker said:
    Can this game be really made?
    yes and no. Depends on how much they raise in capital in this kickstarter. I would say at least 3 to 5 million on hardware alone then maybe 400 to 450 developers artists, programmers and engineers about 6 to 8 years to put it together. Other than that not a chance in hell.
    Challenge accepted.

I'm in software development, and I plan on backing this game more than I already have after I talk to the team at PAX. Why? Because Jeromy took time away from the game development scene to develop some skills which game development should have started integrating a long long time ago.

He gained experience doing Systems and Test bed development at MS. Coming from this environment I can tell you that it changes the way you approach coding and it's something that fellow technicals will appreciate but many executives and visionaries rarely understand.

*Anecdotal: I had one project stall for three years, going through multiple interations and needing another 3 years at the current pace, until I hired a technical lead with similiar experience (she had a lot of experience as a tech director of testing). It released 9 months after I hired her. Sometimes it really comes down to systems, flows and controls. * 

Will it take funds? yeah, no doubt. Hardware? not near as much as people think. It wouldn't be fair to throw out my guesstimate on what they would need as I'm not in the loop enough with their development goals and speed, but I can see a MVP (minimally viable product) and alpha running under the $1M mark, maybe push it to $2M if there are external asset licensing issues coming into play. 

I see lots of games that are asking for much much more than that and I find it shameful. If it takes you $5M+ to get a MVP/Alpha out of the gate, you shouldn't be in this industry as an executive or lead.