Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Black Desert is Incredible!

Comments

• DXSinsDXSins Member UncommonPosts: 324
    Like other mmos... BDO had a very active crafted items and AH relationship. I was able to craft fishing boats (route i chose to take since was little of them on AH) and they mostly sold the same day i could craft one. I would always use the AH to buy the top food only high lvl cookers could make etc.

MMOs are about choices and how we decide to approach them... the crafting system is the same:

Some like to doing/learn it all solo... gathering all my own mats and doing all my own crafting. Find it extends or gives them a bigger goal to work towards.

Some can have a group of friends/guild working together.. taking gathering and craft professions and helping each other all the way through. (Yes i know this isnt possible in BDO... one of its bad parts)

Some will just buy everytthing from the AH.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    I just haven't seen much in the OP to explain WHY it is incredible...  other than you apparently farmed some mats, crafted boats and sold them the same day...

Help me understand...

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430
    Looks like a tech demo for other developers with no actual gameplay implemented yet. Why the heck would anyone grind mobs and craft stuff if everything is easy and you can autowalk everywhere? For what are you gearing up if there's no dungeons or raids and the world bosses are easy and soloable as well? I guess there's a PvP then but why design a huge world and all the features if you want your players only to smack each others with flashing lights. Is there even a reason to PvP other than to do it for fun?

Gaming as a hobby is getting worse and worse.
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    DMKano said:
    I just haven't seen much in the OP to explain WHY it is incredible...  other than you apparently farmed some mats, crafted boats and sold them the same day...

Help me understand...

It is a good game for players who like:

Single player MMOs
    Action combat
    Solo craft everything  (no need to interact with other players)
    Heavy penalty PvP (safe solo level up)
    Detailed character customization
    High detail graphics 

Can't see how it is any more "single player" than most other mmos, not to mention that guilds are a major focus of the game- which by definition is group based. A better description would be BDO will appeal to people that like group based play but will also be fun for players who predominately solo in mmos.

You also forgot to mention that it is a good game for players who like:

Complex trading, crafting, housing, and farming systems
    Systems designed to limit lowbie ganking
    Group based pvp
    Conquest based open world pvp that has meaning within the game world
    Sandbox elements
    Exploration
    A medieval fantasy world to live in, rather than just pass through.

I also like BDO's take on making NPC relations more significant than in many other mmos I have played. There are tangible and "realistic" benefits for developing relations with NPCs, such as the opening of trade routes. 

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    I'm sure everybody liked the part where they said "everybody can own the same house". :td
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    edited October 2015
    DMKano said:
    YashaX said:
    DMKano said:

Help me understand...

Single player MMOs
    Action combat
    High detail graphics 

Can't see how it is any more "single player" than most other mmos, not to mention that guilds are a major focus of the game- which by definition is group based. A better description would be BDO will appeal to people that like group based play but will also be fun for players who predominately solo in mmos.

Group based pvp
    Sandbox elements
    Exploration

I also like BDO's take on making NPC relations more significant than in many other mmos I have played. There are tangible and "realistic" benefits for developing relations with NPCs, such as the opening of trade routes. 

Complex trading, crafting, housing and farming systems? Setting up 4 houses to auto-craft every thing outside of cooking for you is complex how? Trading is complex how? All of this is 100% solo with no interdependence from other players.

Systems designed to eliminate all PvP outside of guild v guild is more like it. There is no PvP at low and mid levels

End game guild based PVP yes 

Conquest is completely meaningless - PvP in BD is done for fun, there are miniscule effects on the world, this is a huge complaint in Korea

Sandbox elements - yeah few of them, as instancing of housing and farming removed meaningful player interaction. When everyone can solo craft everything - nothing crafted has much value, another huge problem on Korean servers

Trading, crafting, housing and farming all seem much more complex than most MMOs.  

No low or mid level pvp means no ganking.  This is a good thing.

From what I've seen in videos conquest is very meaningful.  Guilds can get very rich off of it.

Because all the trade is done through the auction house, the cut that the owning guilds get becomes substantial.

Post edited by holdenhamlet on
  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    I dunno. This game seems VERY shallow.

Joined - July 2004

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    DMKano said:
    YashaX said:
    DMKano said:

Help me understand...

Single player MMOs
    Action combat
    High detail graphics 

Group based pvp
    Sandbox elements
    Exploration

Complex trading, crafting, housing and farming systems? Setting up 4 houses to auto-craft every thing outside of cooking for you is complex how? Trading is complex how? All of this is 100% solo with no interdependence from other players.

Systems designed to eliminate all PvP outside of guild v guild is more like it. There is no PvP at low and mid levels

Conquest is completely meaningless - PvP in BD is done for fun, there are miniscule effects on the world, this is a huge complaint in Korea

Sandbox elements - yeah few of them, as instancing of housing and farming removed meaningful player interaction. When everyone can solo craft everything - nothing crafted has much value, another huge problem on Korean servers

Doesn't sound bad to me.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• mentinmentin Member UncommonPosts: 35
    Cos according to pearl abyss the actual game is only about 20% of what they are planning to do.

I dunno if this is true but with the valencia expansion thay have added more and more content (new class, new continent etc..)  and planning a bright future ahead.

As I said I really dont know if this will be true. Sounds legit at least.

Many people here didn´t play the game after the valencia release so...

I am more worried about the way daum will handle cashshop to be frank I dont want to have an Archeage 2 again

Another thing; according to korean game notes web pages that was mentioned here before, Echo of soul was last week the 9 most played mmo game in korea!!!! and cabal 2 number 30. So I don´t think its a real reference of black desert succes in korea.
  • Minuszer0Minuszer0 Member UncommonPosts: 54
    edited October 2015
    Originally posted by austriacus
    Originally posted by LacedOpium

This game is ridiculously epic.  Revolutionary in so many ways.  It is heads and shoulders above anything out in the market right now.  Anyone saying otherwise is just pushing a personal agenda.

Complete hyperbole. The game is good and fun but its not revolutionary. 

Does the game offer features that are new or innovative, and outside of established procedure game play? If so then it is revolutionary.  And that is clearly the case as evidenced by the new and innovative features mentioned in the OPs video alone.  And the video only mentioned a few.  Might want to learn the meaning of the word revolutionary before posting next time.

You may want to take your own advice, as you have quite laughably mistaken the definition of "novelty" for the definition of "revolutionary". 

Things that are revolutionary have far-reaching impact on entire industries.  I doubt anyone is going to rush to mimic this turd any time soon.
  • mentinmentin Member UncommonPosts: 35
    Everyone can solo craft everything? like in all mmos I tried. 

You just need some alts if you cant take all profs (in some games you can do it solo like rift)
    mentin said:

You just need some alts if you cant take all profs (in some games you can do it solo like rift)
    Yeah I really don't get why this is supposedly what is ruining the game.  Even in games like Archeage (which complainers are obviously comparing this to), most of the crafting is done solo.
    DMKano said:
    YashaX said:
    DMKano said:

Help me understand...

Single player MMOs
    Action combat
    High detail graphics 

Group based pvp
    Sandbox elements
    Exploration

Ok so I asked Reddit about the rewards of conquest.  Apparently you're completely wrong about the rewards of conquest being "completely meaningless".  

Guilds owning an area get a cut of the auction house sales.  According to someone with actual experience playing the game, this amounted to 1.5 billion silver for their guild.  At the end of the week, he said 30% of the guild's funds can be split amongst guild members, netting him personally 11 million and 8 million for the two times his guild owned a territory.

The guild funds are also used to buy spawns for bosses that drop good loot for the guild.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    mentin said:

Yeah I really don't get why this is supposedly what is ruining the game.  Even in games like Archeage (which complainers are obviously comparing this to), most of the crafting is done solo.
    Crafters and player interactions that come from crafters adds much depth to the game. If you dont get it its because 1. You have not played a game like SWG and you never got to see it in action 2. You just dont care about crafting. I will be trying BD but this side of the game does sadden me. It could have been so much more with a few changes. World impacting effect from PvP and a deep crafting system like SWG would have brought many more players to this game and the kind that make communities worth staying in.
  • ankhfnkhonsuankhfnkhonsu Member UncommonPosts: 93
    DMKano said:

DMKano is posting misinformation again. Go figure.

Setting up 4 houses to auto-craft every thing outside of cooking for you is complex how?

First of all, advanced cooking actually requires a house (you need a stove in order to mix large amounts of ingredients. However, it is not crafted by workers.. that is something you must do yourself. That being said, there's a ton of crafting/processing that is done without housing - heating, thinning, grinding, mixing, alchemy.. and more. Yes, workers do craft armor and weapons for you.. but honestly everything is found in-game as drops, so the only reason people use this system is to upgrade from green to yellow. If you are gathering the materials for crafting yourself.. it can be quite the endeavor. For example.. to craft the best buff potions in the game, you need to go whaling (which you should party up for), gather rare materials etc. It's not something that is just handed to you.

Trading is complex how?

Do you know how trading works in BDO? On the surface it is simple: buy from one merchant low, sell to another merchant high. However.. an effective trader will create a complex path buying and selling as he/she travels. Keep in mind.. the things traders are buying and selling change frequently so it's not like you can follow the same path and maximize profits. There is potential for someone to PK you and kill your cart. However, due to PvP punishment this isn't something that happens frequently unless you have enemies (my guild did this to someone just the other day...).

Level 50 is low level. It is accomplished in 1-2 days of playing. Currently level 56 is mid level and level 60 is high level in Korea. Getting from 56-60 is very very time consuming.. the game has been out for 9 months, there is only a handful of level 60's on the server. Just because the numbers are big doesn't mean that it's "high level". BDO is not like other games.. there is a lot more than just level to represent how powerful a character is: skill points.. health level.. stamina level.. gear.. etc. You are very naive when it comes to BDO systems and yet you feel that you can comment on them, it's quite concerning.

This is 100% false. Conquest is very meaningful. When a guild captures a territory a very large reward is given to the guild. 30% of this MUST be distributed to the guild members, however, a guild leader can distribute guild wealth at any time (there is a cooldown of 24 hours I believe). To give you an example.. one of our ally guilds has billions of silver, and their members get 30m every week when they capture a territory. They also distribute silver to members frequently.. all of this on top of their daily paycheck. In season 3, they changed node wars to be more of "mini-territories" rather than random nodes that guilds own. A guild can own up to 5 nodes but they must be adjacent to one another. Please, can you show me some of these "complaints" that you are talking about? Are they on inven? I haven't seen them......

I'm not even going to fully address this because your naivety is too strong. First of all, farming isn't instanced, personal housing is instanced, but guild housing and villas are not. Please, at least do a little research on the current state of the game before you spread the same BS that I saw from you 5 months ago. It's getting pretty old.
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    DMKano said:
    YashaX said:
    DMKano said:

Help me understand...

Single player MMOs
    Action combat
    High detail graphics 

Group based pvp
    Sandbox elements
    Exploration

Ok so I asked Reddit about the rewards of conquest.  Apparently you're completely wrong about the rewards of conquest being "completely meaningless".  

Guilds owning an area get a cut of the auction house sales.  According to someone with actual experience playing the game, this amounted to 1.5 billion silver for their guild.  At the end of the week, he said 30% of the guild's funds can be split amongst guild members, netting him personally 11 million and 8 million for the two times his guild owned a territory.

The guild funds are also used to buy spawns for bosses that drop good loot for the guild.
    I don't take DMKano's word on anything being shallow when Trove is apparently the second coming....lol.
    Nanfoodle said:
    mentin said:

Crafters and player interactions that come from crafters adds much depth to the game. If you dont get it its because 1. You have not played a game like SWG and you never got to see it in action 2. You just dont care about crafting. I will be trying BD but this side of the game does sadden me. It could have been so much more with a few changes. World impacting effect from PvP and a deep crafting system like SWG would have brought many more players to this game and the kind that make communities worth staying in.
    You're right I never played SWG, but I think people are mostly comparing it to AA.  In AA the full extent of the supposedly deep and interactive crafting system was buying one mat off the auction house from another crafter I never met, and technically I could have made it myself if I wanted to waste time leveling that craft.

As for world impacting PVP, I don't know.  The siege system is at least meaningful and profitable.  

Nanfoodle said:
    mentin said:

You're right I never played SWG, but I think people are mostly comparing it to AA.  In AA the full extent of the supposedly deep and interactive crafting system was buying one mat off the auction house from another crafter I never met, and technically I could have made it myself if I wanted to waste time leveling that craft.

As for world impacting PVP, I don't know.  The siege system is at least meaningful and profitable.  

Needing to rely on other crafters builds communities. You get it or you dont. As for depth in PvP, making money is not depth. Unlocking a dungeon for your faction with rare drops because your side is winning is depth. Access to rare crafting mats and bosses is depth. Relics you have to capture and keep that give your side of the war buffs that give an edge is depth. Something that gives you bragging rights over just we won can add depth. There is so many ways to add depth to PvP over just an we won so here is some coin. Like I said I will try BD but this game was so close to being so much more.
    edited October 2015
    Nanfoodle said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    mentin said:

Needing to rely on other crafters builds communities. You get it or you dont. As for depth in PvP, making money is not depth. Unlocking a dungeon for your faction with rare drops because your side is winning is depth. Access to rare crafting mats and bosses is depth. Relics you have to capture and keep that give your side of the war buffs that give an edge is depth. Something that gives you bragging rights over just we won can add depth. There is so many ways to add depth to PvP over just an we won so here is some coin. Like I said I will try BD but this game was so close to being so much more.
    "Needing to rely on other crafters builds communities. You get it or you dont."

I get the concept but the only game I actually experienced it in was the first version of FFXIV.  In that game it was very time consuming and difficult to level multiple crafts (they were literally separate classes that took as long as regular classes to level, complete with their own quests), and the recipes often required mats from other crafts.  The problem was nothing craftable was all that good.

In AA, the game people are comparing it to, pretty much everything could be crafted solo pretty easily.

And even still we have people here saying they did indeed buy stuff from other crafters in Black Desert such as food, so I'm not totally sure it's even a 100% solo deal here.

"As for depth in PvP, making money is not depth. Unlocking a dungeon for your faction with rare drops because your side is winning is depth. Access to rare crafting mats and bosses is depth. Relics you have to capture and keep that give your side of the war buffs that give an edge is depth. Something that gives you bragging rights over just we won can add depth."

Well, no dungeons but your guild can apparently buy world boss spawns which give useful and rare gear and mats.

Torval said:
    DMKano said:

In Lineage the guilds (called pledges) owning a castle (area territory) would get a cut of NPC sales as a tax. It was one of the main incentives on owning an area. Each city also had a mayor that could set the tax for that one town.

People talk about "meaningful content". This is one of the ways that actually makes pvp territory feel meaningful. Realm pride is nice and all, but an actual incentive and reward lends meaning to that contest.
    From what I can tell, Black Desert basically has that.

I mean, maybe it's not exactly the same but does it have to be for people to be happy?
    ikcin said:
    DMKano said:
    YashaX said:
    DMKano said:

Help me understand...

Single player MMOs
    Action combat
    High detail graphics 

Group based pvp
    Sandbox elements
    Exploration

Guilds bet for sieges. Sums are really big, that is true. And the auction house is one, global actually, why don't you try the game in RU or Japan, it is free and you will learn everything about it, instated to ask random people.
    I am playing the RU version a bit.  I don't want to invest too much into my character there since it's coming soon to NA.

I'm still confused though.  Are you saying this quote from BDO Tome is incorrect:

• There are taxes to using the Auction house. There is a 20% flat in-game tax removable from obtaining Patron status. There is a further tax which cannot be avoided, set by and paid to the guild owning the city you posted the item in.
  • BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939
    Like all other eastern games I will try it but I doubt I will stay long with it. But I did like Lineage II a lot, so if one comes along like that I will stay with it for a while. 

I really do miss SWG, before it was ruined.
    I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

• PurplePoloPlayerPurplePoloPlayer Member UncommonPosts: 145
    I have checked out some videos for Black Desert and I'll admit it has some promising elements.  

I am worried about two things.  One, they use traditional leveling.  I have promised myself that I will never try another MMO with traditional levels.  That kind of system is antiquated.  I have heard that levels go rather quickly in Black Desert so this may end up being a non issue.  Second, I love to PvP and this karma system sounds like it all but kills open world PvP.  That's a deal breaker for me as I don't really care for arena combat. 
    Check out my stream at www.twitch.tv/purplepoloplayer!
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    DMKano said:

Help me understand...

Single player MMOs
    Action combat
    High detail graphics 

BD will do great on the console - as that's what its really designed for - solo console player

I think that everyone should give it a try as there are about 2 weeks of fun there for sure for most players but anyone looking for a deep MMORPG experience that involves other players will most likely be done after 2-3 weeks of playing

But a couple of weeks of fun is IMO worth it
    What makes it designed for console because it features solo game-play, or twitch combat? That's kinda ridiculous to say. You could say most of this in regard just about any MMO... Especially any that have released since 2004 except a very select few..

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

From what I can tell, Black Desert basically has that.

I mean, maybe it's not exactly the same but does it have to be for people to be happy?
    I dont think you get it, no one is bashing this game. I think BD offers a great package and could keep me playing for a long time. But if BD had added a few things it could have gone from an awesome game to epic. Its like Pizza, we all know where it came from but it started out with just flat bread and pizza sauce. The USA added cheese and other toppings. I have had real pizza in Italy and it was really good. But if I had to pick, it would be the pimped out US pizza I would pick every time. Even though its not nearly as healthy lol. But again this is subjective and for some this is a turn off, for others its what sold them on the game. Solo crafting and 99% solo content.