Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Has any MMO ever tried a tank job with a pet?

DeathofsageDeathofsage Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
I'm not talking about pet jobs with pets capable of tanking.

Plenty of mmo's have pet jobs as dps, and healer/buffer jobs with pets aren't uncommon either, but I've never seen a tank with a pet.

Conceptually, it could be neat. Have two pets, one defensive--that provides auras or buffs or debuffs, one offensive--that just does damage, but it would probably be hard to balance.

Warcraft: I do know about DK's Army of the Dead but that was just a cooldown and the pets had no intelligence. I know about Unholy's minion but unholy was not a tanking tree.

Spec'ing properly is a gateway drug.
12 Million People have been meter spammed in heroics.

Comments

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433
    Well, SW:TOR has companions that are designated as tanks, but of course they can't really tank raids and such (unless you're ridiculously overgeared and -leveled).

I do vaguely recall a F2P game with pets that could actually tank, but I can't for the life of me remember the name.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Plenty of mmo's have pet jobs as dps, and healer/buffer jobs with pets aren't uncommon either, but I've never seen a tank with a pet.

Conceptually, it could be neat. Have two pets, one defensive--that provides auras or buffs or debuffs, one offensive--that just does damage, but it would probably be hard to balance.

Warcraft: I do know about DK's Army of the Dead but that was just a cooldown and the pets had no intelligence. I know about Unholy's minion but unholy was not a tanking tree.
    Wildstar.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• freakkyfreakky Member UncommonPosts: 113
    edited October 2015
    Yeah, anarchy online: class metaphysicist. Eq1 you could hire merc to, heal,tank, or dps also. Made boxing full party lot more easy. "boxing playing more then one character at a time".
    Good lucks and have fun. 
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    I remember a comment of a dev some years ago.. I think it was about the original FFXIV?
    Something along the lines of: "We will not have any minion or pet classes in the beginning because those are extremely hard to balance."

A well working tank with effective pets? Difficult to find a balance there
    Harbinger of Fools
  • DeathofsageDeathofsage Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
    Dakeru said:
    I remember a comment of a dev some years ago.. I think it was about the original FFXIV?
    Something along the lines of: "We will not have any minion or pet classes in the beginning because those are extremely hard to balance."

A well working tank with effective pets? Difficult to find a balance there
    Oh I agree, it would be tough to balance. The pet would have to be integral to their mechanics, and the offensive pet would only come out in phases of a battle or on farm-content.

---

I think a lot of people (not everyone) are misunderstanding though. I'm not asking for pets that can tank (or npcs that you can hire), I'm asking about a tank class that has a worthwhile pet.

Spec'ing properly is a gateway drug.
    12 Million People have been meter spammed in heroics.

• RamlachRamlach Member UncommonPosts: 39
    The only thing that comes to mind is the engineer in Wildstar with their bots
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Gw2, Rangers have different types of pets, tanking, buffs, and spirits that can also buff.  Necro has some limited pets.  HoT Engineers will have some limited pets.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• AbisbowaAbisbowa Member UncommonPosts: 91
    Dark Age of Camelot had the Necromancer. When you summoned your Abomination your character would go into a Spectral Form. Spectral Form basically made you immune to damage. All of your actions were taken out by the Abomination. There were a few spells you could cast while in Spectral Form. If your abomination died you would immediately drop out of Spectral Form and lose about 75% of your HP.
  • FeracitusFeracitus Member UncommonPosts: 7
       Hm Dark Avenger from Lineage 2 was a tank class with a worthwhile pet.
    Aori said:
    Feracitus said:
    The panther didn't tank though.. it was more for DD.
    Forgot all about L2.  SWG had creature handler which was one of the best pet classes I have ever played.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• Damage99Damage99 Member UncommonPosts: 202
  • fascismfascism Member UncommonPosts: 428
    Rift
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    games who let any class to use pets, like rappelz, arche age, lineage2 dark knight had the panther as dps pet
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
    ESO sorcerer.

• FeracitusFeracitus Member UncommonPosts: 7
    Aori said:
    Feracitus said:
    Well the OP said specifically that he didnt mean tank pets, but tank classes with good pets, in wich case the DA totally qualifies, since the panther did really good damage and had some cc capacity.
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    edited October 2015

SWTOR.  Lineage 2, Dark Avenger had a Cat that was helpful.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Rift - Beastmaster - Tank Class with a pet.

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    SOE ... tryed to tank EQnext with Smedley as a pet
  • AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    Aori said:
    Feracitus said:
    Eh, that seemed to be exactly what the OP asked for. He seemed uninterested in obvious things like hunter pets (WOW) tanking and wanted tanks who did the tanking themselves but also had a pet.

I can't really think of any good examples:
    • WOW Paladin tanks used to have a 3-5 min cooldown that summoned a companion, but I think the tank variant only used a damage reduction shield on you (the tank) and didn't actually attack or do anything else
    • WOW Deathknights could summon a ghoul horde which could taunt.
    • WOW Monks had an ox statue out most of the time which could AOE taunt. (Active far more than the above abilities but...well it's a statue, not a pet.)
    • ESO's Sorcerers could tank, but it always sounded like they weren't quite on the same tier as the typical tank classes (Dragonknight/Templar), and when tanking it seems like Sorcs wouldn't end up taking pet skills (even though they technically were available for you to slot in.)
    So nothing that really fits the OP's request. Honestly I was surprised that I dug through CoH's power sets and couldn't find an example of pets, since I could've sworn at least one tank had pets.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• GrimulaGrimula Member UncommonPosts: 644
    Everquest uses Shadow Knights with Skeleton Pets  =)
  • muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    WoW - Warlock - Voidwalker
  • syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383

WoW warlock has a tank spec with Metamorphosis.   
  • AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    syriinx said:
    WoW warlock has a tank spec with Metamorphosis.   
    Demonology is DPS, not a tank.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• Karnage69Karnage69 Member UncommonPosts: 323
    Warhammer Online had the White Lion class. Basically a physical melee class with a lion pet that could dps or tank. It was an interesting combination, the classes skills had a lot to do with having your pet next to you, such as your attacks increased the pets damage and vice versa. That's about the closest thing I can think of in relation to your question. I am not sure the class itself was considered a tank, but I know the Lion pet could tank if needed. I used to duo Archmages with my brother and we had plenty of White Lions tank for us.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    AC2 Ranger had a good tanking pet