Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So, about jail

AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,785
Is there any chance of a prison escape?
What's the mechanics of capturing and sending to jail?

Once upon a time....

Comments

• FalendorFalendor Member UncommonPosts: 81
    There is a mechanic for capture for sure, jail im sure as well. Prison escape im not 100% on but i bet it will be in.
  • AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,785
    If prison escape is in, I hope it's not like some other games where it's just a question of finding the "hole in the fence", so to speak.

In other words, I hope there can be a constant guard watch (NPC's while players are very inactive), and a need for outside help. That outside help should also be subject to becoming wanted for this crime of aiding a prison escape.
    Actually, I hope there's more to it than just this, such as asset seizures of criminals, things that go beyond just prison. I don't know yet how the banking system and housing works. Just a thought.

Once upon a time....

• KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Just don't do it like Archeage where even if you do escape you are locked out of using just about all your abilities until your jail time is up. If you break out you should be able to continue on in the world as normal. You can walk around town, goto shops, etc for a while until your wanted poster or news of your escape spreads at which point you start looking over your shoulder for the bounty hunters.
    edited October 2015
    I'm mainly concerned that the "justice" actually works to hold down what could turn into a game of king-of-the-hill. i.e. a game where all the cool features don't matter because it's devolved into just a huge war zone.

Once upon a time....

• SerylliousSeryllious Member UncommonPosts: 43
    @Amaranthar ;

From what I know of the Justice system (which is actually quite a bit), being held prisoner and how a trial takes place has not yet been fleshed out entirely by the Dev Team. Unlike in Archeage, where upon death you are teleported to trial - you'll actually have to be caught. You will have to be incapacitated, bound, and taken to the sheriff. The Sheriff will also have to have an active Bounty Token on your head for this to happen legally.

Jail time is being administered between point of capture, and organized trial. Being held prisoner - based on my expectation and speculation on this - will be based on the actual player and NPC/OPC ability to keep you in jail. For example, if they make a mistake, you could make a run for it. Eventually, there will be a group of players who will be assigned Jury Duty (again, speculation based on conversations with the Devs) in which you will be taken to court.

An investigator, witnesses, and other evidence will be brought forth with a case to make against you. At this time, it is unclear whether or not a Game System will support a method of legal defense, but I would imagine you could write a contract with a "Lawyer" to represent you in court and defend you.

If the jury find evidence against you to be sufficient, you will have a certain penalty applied to you - most likely in the form of Spirit Loss for violent crimes. For example - if you incapacitate a player, then kill them - you will suffer a Spirit Loss substantially greater than your victim (potentially costing you several weeks or more of Real Life played time - before your character meets his/her ultimate end). If you kill someone famous, or grief a player by camping their corpse, the penalty could result in Permadeath - and your soul will be sent back to the Akashic Records.

Rule to Live By:
    "I don't always grief, but when I do - No one is around."
    Grief Wisely my friends.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Wushu has the toughest jail system I've seen. Look it up.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • TekaichiTekaichi Member UncommonPosts: 21
    There is no jail time. If you get caught you lose spirit. The amount you lose depends on what crime you did.
    Therefore if you get captured and convicted you lose game-time, but not play-time.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I don't think it would be worth putting in the game because unless the setting is very old the odds of escaping a prison has to be less than 1% like about .001%,so it wouldn't make any sense to actually code in something like that.

The few actual prison breaks involved a lot of work,like having access to work shops and materials to craft a key or similar ideas.However i would think any modern times would involve electronic locks.However i do know of one case where an escape was made "out of cell" not right out of the prison,where a dumb prison allowed the inmates to craft the door ...lmao doh.So of course they had enough various skills to jimmy rig the door to auto open somehow and it did and they killed a guard but of course as i said they never escaped the actual prison itself.
    That little story i gave you is important because it was the initiation of the modern times maximum security prisons.

I am not really into those little things for depth,it already takes a lot of effort just to get the basics set right,like skills,combat structure,racial,mob AI ,a solid UI etc etc.SO rather than anything like trying to escape a jail ,i rather just see real good in depth combat and class and map designs.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

It sounds like a lot of the rest of the game will determine whether this works or not.
    For example, if the capture players have to transport the prisoner over any distance the PKers will swarm them to get their comrade freed.

I hope these guys understand the PKer mindset and tactics. If there's any way, they will dominate the game and drive other players out. They "play to crush".

Once upon a time....

• Deffcon_1Deffcon_1 Member UncommonPosts: 164
    edited October 2015
    There isnt really 'jail' in the traditional sense. In CoE if you get caught committing a crime you lose spirit, which shortens your lifespan. It is not possible to capture and hold a player character, and most likely not NPCs either, for an indefinite amount of time. There will be no player ran prisons.

EDIT: This has been changed. The information I had was out of date. Disregard.
  • AdelardtheVersedAdelardtheVersed Member UncommonPosts: 7
    @bcbully

And the public beheading is ridiculous. Let's hope Elyria goes even further.
  • MorwynnMorwynn Member UncommonPosts: 54
    I dont' know, I think I'm leaning towards a Player Driven Trial System if all conditions are met, and possible Jail Time.  Actual detainment should not be over 15mins or so but you should still loose Spirit. Jail seems fun but after the 5th or 6th time, a longer period of time will start getting very old.
  • AntelinoAntelino Member CommonPosts: 2
    Morwynn said:
    I dont' know, I think I'm leaning towards a Player Driven Trial System if all conditions are met, and possible Jail Time.  Actual detainment should not be over 15mins or so but you should still loose Spirit. Jail seems fun but after the 5th or 6th time, a longer period of time will start getting very old.
    Then don't get caught :P
  • DARTHGALEN5DARTHGALEN5 Member UncommonPosts: 4
    @Morwynn I like the idea of a player driven trial but I think normal bias might make that extremely dangerous. 
  • NarkariNarkari Member UncommonPosts: 6
    @Darthgalen5 Archage showed us that player driven trials while a good idea does not mean it will be put together in a well constructed way. I do think that players should have some say in the crime and law system but as you said player bias and trolls can make this a part of the game I mat dislike.
    Fennec Academy - "A world without knowledge is no  world at all"
    Website
    Recruitment Thread

Join Chronicles of Elyria a new MMORPG in the making. Learn more here. Put in my friend code 32471C for cookies. :)
  • RiverBirdRiverBird Member UncommonPosts: 33
    It sounds like a lot of the rest of the game will determine whether this works or not.
    For example, if the capture players have to transport the prisoner over any distance the PKers will swarm them to get their comrade freed.

I hope these guys understand the PKer mindset and tactics. If there's any way, they will dominate the game and drive other players out. They "play to crush".

Oh, it wont be NPC's that arrest you, it will be other players. Also I'd think the developers have dealt and developed, or can modify the game based off of Bartles Taxonomy, PKers might not pose as much a threat as you might think.

A poll done by the current populace of the COE forums read something along the lines of, only 25% of people were interested in being combative, explorer, bounty hunters, bandits, focus on combat of some sort, while the rest might be hunters, gatherers, crafters, thieves, politicians, anywhere from your daily works to a duke or king.
  • Mister_JCMister_JC Member UncommonPosts: 4
    Is there any chance of a prison escape?
    What's the mechanics of capturing and sending to jail?

So you can go to prison in this game. Will that mean that you could be locked inside a cell while online?
    That sucks.

• JangularJangular Member UncommonPosts: 5
    @RiverBird I love that only 25% of the current CoE forum goers are looking to go combat heavy, it will be interesting to see though how that number changes as the KS happens and more potentially "mainstream" players join the community.
  • RiverBirdRiverBird Member UncommonPosts: 33
    Jangular said:
    @RiverBird I love that only 25% of the current CoE forum goers are looking to go combat heavy, it will be interesting to see though how that number changes as the KS happens and more potentially "mainstream" players join the community.
    It's wrong to say that, majority of mainstream players are more combat oriented, because you're lead to believe that because mainstream, or majority of players have only had combat to really delve into, combat has always been the most defining role.

Many of the same "Mainstream" people have also longed for this type of environment, I wouldn't be surprised if 75%, or even 66% of people were still interested in some sort of trade, craft, gathering, deviant, bardic, tavern-running nuetral/non-combative role, given this game isn't just attracting mmo players, but rpg players and people who are more into skills, roleplaying, the daily lowfantasy setting.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    edited January 2016
    DMKano said:
    bcbully said:
    Wushu has the toughest jail system I've seen. Look it up.

I wonder what the longest sentence served was.
    Most likely 23 hours. Say if a purple name player was killed at around 1 pm, he would sit in jail until noon the next day where headed to be executed, then hit with a 24 hour debuff. That's if he did not get brok out by friends, no easy task because the guards during the break were players.

Normal bounties were anywhere from 20 mins to 5 hours depending on the amount the bounty was issued for. The time had to be served online aswell or the time would not tick. 

*late response* but yeah.
    Post edited by bcbully on
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • IndirectPvPIndirectPvP Member CommonPosts: 8
    I don't look at jails as anything new, sure to be physically placed at a location to wait for your penalty to wear off isn't something that you normally see in the open world.  Usually you wait for your threat level to lower,  your hostility to go away,  run away from guards and try not to  be Concorded... these already were a form of jail.  Who knows, you may go to jail and pick up a few new skills, friends, strategies... you may gain valuable networking time with the criminal underworld and the greatest crime every committed takes place as a result.
  • ZultraZultra Member UncommonPosts: 385
    But then again you lose spirit going to jail. 
    Sign up for Chronicles of Elyria here don't forget to use my friend code - B4ACB3

Join the revolutionary MMO! 
  • IndirectPvPIndirectPvP Member CommonPosts: 8
    Sure,   some spirit loss has been discussed.  I look at jail like a death penalty in other games,  A large amount of games have had a form of death penalty.  This was to provide actual "risk" to what you were doing in the form of loss of play time.  Item durability loss, Xp loss, death runs(spirit walks), a reduction of stats or even a full blown loss of all assets are all forms of "spirit" loss.  It takes time to replace the xp you loss,  or to repair/replace items. 

If I were in jail and Murder McMurderson also is in jail, as we wait or time in the penalty box we talk about the fact that this sucks... We then hatch a plan for vengeance, awesomeness ensues.   Another scenario which expands on the earlier post could be,  I meet Burglarizing Bob in jail, leaving Mr. McMurderson out of it (he is crazy),  we plan a heist to rob the local royalty, because of this new partnership we possibly gather up all the loot we can and make a clean break.  At this point I would have traded a spirit loss for cash... lots and lots of cash!!!    So if money is my motive,  this would have been worth it.   

This is why I feel jail is not a new mechanic, the way they approach this to me is very interesting.  

To be punished you have to be caught!!!
  • ZultraZultra Member UncommonPosts: 385
    crimes stack so if you murder dozens of people and get caught, you will most likely get executed as in all your spirit gone and need a new spark. 
    Sign up for Chronicles of Elyria here don't forget to use my friend code - B4ACB3

Join the revolutionary MMO! 
  • bincritterbincritter Member UncommonPosts: 7
    @Jangular Where did you get this statistic from. Is it true that only 25% will truly be combat heavy? By combat heavy, you mean they will spend the majority of their time training into combat specific skills?

Click Here to Join Chronicles of Elyria's largest Spy Network
    The Spider's direct email for messages that need to be kept especially private. [email protected]
    Our Facebook Page Link