Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thoughts on new expansion?

ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810
For those that have gotten their feet wet, what are your thoughts on the new expansion?

Comments

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    I'll have a brief impressions piece up for you in the morning, but TL;DR? Fucking awesome.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    I am going to guess there won't be a single complaint!  :D
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• mbrodiembrodie Member RarePosts: 1,504
    is this free, or where can i purchase it, i can't seem to find a link
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    mbrodie said:
    is this free, or where can i purchase it, i can't seem to find a link
    It's free for subs. (as are all the expansions now)
    Once you sub for a month, it's all unlocked permanently. (Until new content comes out obviously, for which you'd have to sub again)

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

ragz45 said:
    For those that have gotten their feet wet, what are your thoughts on the new expansion?
    So far I'm enjoying the story lines. A bit bummed about the limited choice in companions you have during missions. (At least in the Chapters I've played through so far)

It's also nice to see some familiar faces from the 1-50 Class stories. xD

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• mbrodiembrodie Member RarePosts: 1,504
    oh thats pretty cool, if i had of known about the subscriber benefits from the end of august, i would have done it just to unlock all the cool stuff!
  • ImpacthoundImpacthound Member UncommonPosts: 367
    The story was much better than I expected, Chapters 1-9 were a pleasantly watchable three-hour movie on youtube/Dulfy. The actual game is watered down and there's nothing worth doing after the story, MMO-wise in my opinion. I'll keep watching the new chapters each month on Dulfy, but I'm not paying $15 a month for 20 minutes of content until July 2016, lol.
  • JWillCHSJWillCHS Member UncommonPosts: 75
    edited October 2015
    If you're a veteran of SWTOR this will still be something worth playing. As a returning player I was very surprised at the quality of its story. This update streamlined The Old Republic even more.

It's definitely a big risk because it's not traditional content you commonly see added to MMORPGs. So if you're that player who's done all the Flashpoints, Operations, decked out your stronghold, completed your companions' storyline, geared up in PvP, etc, etc - the content could be a good change of pace but it might not keep you around unless this is your MMORPG that you play on daily basis.

The only end-game progression that comes out of Knights of the Fallen Empire is the Alliance system which is centered around companions. But like what has been said before, if you're not invested in the community for this game your stay might be short. There's no new warzones or raids in this content. Much of the new content is solo or done with two players.

Edit: by the way I hope this helps you form your own opinion. I might stay longer than I though since I only played the game for about two months at launch. There is a lot for me to do.
  • GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907
    edited October 2015
    No complaints? Sorry, can not comply.

For a Player that has low level characters and is not interested in the new high level content *Yet*.....

Lot's of documented changes that I wasn't happy with but willing to adapt to. We know about this stuff and I will try not to hash this out again here.

Lot's of UN-documented changes that flat out angered me. Now I understand part of why Bioware was so reluctant to talk about the upcoming changes before now. I wouldn't want to talk to players either about the hammer I was getting ready to drop on the game. It is worse than I was prepared for, and I'm was expecting quite a bit of change I wasn't going to agree with.

Crafting for me personally is in shambles. I prided myself with my Cybertech and building blue and Purple Droid parts... all gone if you used the Ship droid like I did. Most the recipes I had unlocked in the various crafting disciplines have been sent to the "Archive" basically gone and we have to buy new ones just to make the basic stuff like Mods... and I'm not the kind of Player that likes making money in MMOs so this is painful. (will be no surprise to those here that have read my rants on hating money)

Basic Comms (now data crystal) Mod Vendors have all the Barrels, Hilts, Armor sections, Mods, and Enhancements, but the Barrels and Hilts are Artifact Authorization Required now in 4.0, as is also the "level 7 Trainee" gear on fleet, where as just a few days ago no AA was necessary. There never was that much Artifact Authorization items ingame that I encountered, bad luck on my part, so I never did get that Unlock. No need... now there is a need and no warning that I recall. I said in another thread on these forums that it is my opinion that SWTOR is targeted at Whales... today all doubt in my mind about whether that was true or not was laid to rest.

XP gain is too fast. My opinion. Don't need XP boosters now IMO.

Companions... most is already known and after playiing today I'm seeing good and bad, but Companions make excellent tanks now even with my Gunslinger throwing as much dps at Mobs as I could in a FP today. That pleasantly surprised me. Did not try Healing or DPS Companion settings.

It's not all bad, the changes, but for me personally it hit hard on the features of the game I enjoy the most and I am not a happy camper tonight.

I said my piece on this subject. I won't reply on this one. Check out what I say in the game itself if you question this. I figured I had best see for myself and I am both glad, and sad, that I did.
  • RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    The story is great.  I especially liked Chapter 4.  It was very much a throwback to the kotor games, going so far as to clone the original kotor dialogue system once you get to "your destination".

It was so much better at developing your companions as characters than 1-50 was.  And in terms of your own character, it was pretty clear during my run through as Smuggler, that dialogue at least will be significantly different for each of the classes.

If you didn't like the cutscenes in 1-50, you still might like this because it tells a better story better, even cutting to the villains and your companions.  But if you just flat out don't like cutscenes, you will probably hate this expansion.
    edited October 2015
    Torval said:

The gear change for companions is as awesome as I had hoped. I'm not sure why I lost my droid companion as an option which sort of sucks, but not a huge dealbreaker.

You get them back at the end.  You can summon them in the "companions and contacts" screen.  Though you may have to talk to them first when you go to the base cantina in chapter 9.

Edit:  I'm a bit disappointed that you can't outfit companions in the armor you want, anymore.  But it should be something they should be able to bring back fairly easily.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Torval said:
    [...] The only thing that sucks is how outdated their character naming system is. Wildstar, ESO, Guild Wars 2, Neverwinter, and STO all do this right.
    ... and CO, of course :wink: since it's not the games' system, it's Cryptic, so all three using the same, shared system. (ok, I'm a bit biased, played CO quite a lot lately)
    TOR's one is a bit odd indeed, after one of the merges it locked out a few character names of mine, for a mandatory rename due collision - I simply "re"named them to their original name and the system accepted it :lol: probably it locked out the other guy instead.
    Po_gg said:
    Torval said:
    [...] The only thing that sucks is how outdated their character naming system is. Wildstar, ESO, Guild Wars 2, Neverwinter, and STO all do this right.
    ... and CO, of course :wink: since it's not the games' system, it's Cryptic, so all three using the same, shared system. (ok, I'm a bit biased, played CO quite a lot lately)
    TOR's one is a bit odd indeed, after one of the merges it locked out a few character names of mine, for a mandatory rename due collision - I simply "re"named them to their original name and the system accepted it :lol: probably it locked out the other guy instead.
    I didn't realize that when they first started that.  Saw people in my NWN guild chatting while I was playing STO.  I said, "Cool!  You guys play STO, too?"

They had a good laugh over it.
  • C_CarmichaelC_Carmichael Member UncommonPosts: 21
    I can not stress this enough...

If you plan to head into the new content, be 100% sure that you don't care about your companions and what they look like.

Once the new content begins, your vanilla companions scatter to the corners of the galaxy, and you get some new companions. The issue is...these new companions are set up in the same manner as droids, or Broonmark / Blizz / Khem. The only thing you can change about their appearance is their weapon. 

I repeat.... THE NEW COMPANIONS CANNOT BE CUSTOMIZED.

If you don't mind running around with identical clones to everyone else around you, then journey forward. It is a good story afterall. But if you care about the style and look of who you adventure with, then do not pass go, do not collect $200.

Be warned!
  • FlintsteenFlintsteen Member UncommonPosts: 282
    edited December 2015
    I miss trinity flashpoints while leveling.  That's my main concern. Tactical FP is all very good,  but as tank you will die unless you have a healer in your group or alternatively lets the dps offtank some mobs.  That's not what tanking is for me.

Secondly i'm not sure about not letting F2P/Preffered players not be able to level to 65.  Since subs and F2P are stuck in the same groupfinder for flashpoints and operations i just think it would make sense to let all level to 65.  (ofc. still without kofte) Especially since FP rewards and crystal vendors dont have any decent level 60 gear.
    Post edited by Flintsteen on