Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic | Michael Bitton | Knights of the Fallen Empire - BioWare Ups its Game |

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited October 2015 in News & Features Discussion

imageStar Wars: The Old Republic | Michael Bitton | Knights of the Fallen Empire - BioWare Ups its Game | MMORPG

Star Wars: The Old Republic’s newest expansion, Knights of the Fallen Empire, starts off with a bang and just doesn’t let go. I thought BioWare really upped its game with Shadow of Revan, but I had to check to make sure I was actually still playing SWTOR when I jumped into KOTFE for the first time today.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• defector1968defector1968 Member UncommonPosts: 469
    game has stopped to be impressive long time ago, now only the hardcore SW fans play it
    fan of SWG, XCOM, Defiance, Global Agenda, Need For Speed, all Star Wars single player games. And waiting the darn STAR CITIZEN
  • AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961
    If SWTOR is more or less single player game now and it has the quality of KOTOR I might be interested. But just as a B2P game for a reasonable price. Not with the current P2P model or the F2P model which just has too many restrictions. As an MMO which would justify P2P it failed imo.
  • orionblackorionblack Member UncommonPosts: 493
    edited October 2015
    I just came from reading up on their official forums....and it seems they have REMOVED alot from the game!! 

You can't put customizable gear on comps just for looks?? Why?? Have to do pvp to get a certain comp...haven't they learned their lesson on forced pvp?? 
    These examples seem just to be some of the more milder ones that I have found. If you're interested go check their forums.

And is this a sponsored posting or something??
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    I just came from reading up on their official forums....and it seems they have REMOVED alot from the game!! 

You can't put customizable gear on comps just for looks?? Why?? Have to do pvp to get a certain comp...haven't they learned their lesson on forced pvp?? 
    These examples seem just to be some of the more milder ones that I have found. If you're interested go check their forums.

Nope. It's a first impressions from a combined 5 or so hours with the story part of the expansion. Mike, as he always does, will go thoroughly into more detail before the final review.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411

You can dress up your comp.  Just some weapon restrictions.
  • Jonnyp2Jonnyp2 Member UncommonPosts: 243
    edited October 2015

If you're going to discount everything the game does well because there is one alliance follower tied to getting rank 40 valor then I don't know what to tell you. I'm sorry you couldn't dress up Lana in a slave girl outfit, I'm sure there's plenty of fanart out there if you need it. Those are actually the two more popular complaints I've seen. I don't think you sorted through the forums and found two "mild" complaints in order to back up your argument that the game is bad and this is a paid posting.

The main story for swtor is very well done, unfortunately it's only around 10 hours of content. You will see the hype die down after more players play through the story a couple of times. It's not like the end game changed all that much, so I'm sure you'll be happy when the game falls back to it's more pedestrian population. Still Bioware will get plenty of people resubbing as they release new chapters to the story. Swtor is a game that's best enjoyed sporadically and in short bursts. Probably ideal for a backup mmo, especially with the new focus on story.

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    I'm a little disappointed in the comp changes. It just feels like my comps lost their identity. No more crafting skill modifiers and no more best healer to use. I like the new system but if it would have been like this from the start I would have been much more happy with it. Having it now after I had relationships with my comps and seeing them all become the same is a bit depressing.
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• heerobyaheerobya Member UncommonPosts: 465
    Actually went through the process of unlocking my account this morning, I lost the physical authenticator sometime in the last 3-4 years or however long it has been. I've got a bunch of cartel coins from the many months of subbing and original purchase etc. so once she's done downloading, we'll see if the old girl can scratch my Star Wars itch for the next few weeks/months!
  • ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    edited October 2015
    game has stopped to be impressive long time ago, now only the hardcore SW fans play it
    As i write this Korriban on the Red Eclipse EU has 2 instances with 130 people in each and Tython 128 & 130.

Clearly only hardcore fans play SW TOR.
  • orionblackorionblack Member UncommonPosts: 493
    edited October 2015
    Jonnyp2 said:

If you're going to discount everything the game does well because there is one alliance follower tied to getting rank 40 valor then I don't know what to tell you. I'm sorry you couldn't dress up Lana in a slave girl outfit, I'm sure there's plenty of fanart out there if you need it. Those are actually the two more popular complaints I've seen. I don't think you sorted through the forums and found two "mild" complaints in order to back up your argument that the game is bad and this is a paid posting.

The main story for swtor is very well done, unfortunately it's only around 10 hours of content. You will see the hype die down after more players play through the story a couple of times. It's not like the end game changed all that much, so I'm sure you'll be happy when the game falls back to it's more pedestrian population. Still Bioware will get plenty of people resubbing as they release new chapters to the story. Swtor is a game that's best enjoyed sporadically and in short bursts. Probably ideal for a backup mmo, especially with the new focus on story.

Actually I did say that the 2 points I mentioned were minor one (Never used any of the female comps myself only hk or ...well pretty much it) , as for story yeah seems that's all they can do right, though i learned my lesson with the last 2 "expansions"...I went to the forums to see the state of the game from people actually playing it,to see if I wanted to try it out...and it doesn't seem good.
    And like one poster mentioned..it's seems that they are simplifying the game for a console port...not my words!

And in case you're wondering why I don't ask a friend how the game is going, everyone quit without looking back.
  • Scott_JeslisScott_Jeslis Member RarePosts: 627
    Talonsin said:
    I'm a little disappointed in the comp changes. It just feels like my comps lost their identity. No more crafting skill modifiers and no more best healer to use. I like the new system but if it would have been like this from the start I would have been much more happy with it. Having it now after I had relationships with my comps and seeing them all become the same is a bit depressing.
    Sure I guess but on the flip side my Sorc doesn't need to keep using Khem just so I can have a tank companion, now I can use my actual apprentice to tank. It helps with the mood of the story PLUS now in future updates companions can actually leave you, die, etc. which adds more to the story... see where they are heading?
  • makasouleater69makasouleater69 Member UncommonPosts: 1,096
    Lol, so making a single player expansion, which is like a bad interactive movie, makes swtor mmo upped it game, ahah I think not. They would of been better off releasing a new game. If they think, it is gonna attract any of the old players, to the broken f2p/p2w/gambling box, garbage mmo they are pretty delusional. Although if they released a new game, with none garbage graphics, like swtor has. I would of paid 50 bucks for that.

I wouldn't give them 50 cents for that expansion. I am sure the hard core people who already play though will. Shodanas said:
    As i write this Korriban on the Red Eclipse EU has 2 instances with 130 people in each and Tython 128 & 130.

That impresses you? 700 people. That literally is clearly only hardcore fans, and by the sounds even a lot of them don't play. More people are playing SWGEMU right now than that.  
  • ButeoRegalisButeoRegalis Member UncommonPosts: 594
    Yes. And there are so few of them, as the movie ticket websites found out the other day... LOL

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,361
    edited October 2015
    Shodanas said:

korriban and tython......are starter zones and even before expansion with lots of players....that means nothing

btw i subbed this month just to have the expansion ;) , and to be fair the game has been improved in lots of ways......but "not enough" for ME.
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    SWTOR detractors can be still be upset over what SWTOR is. That's their right. But it's clear that EA and BioWare value the title and the millions of dollars it continues to earn. That's nothing but "good news" for fans of the game.

And that's something we should all try to come to grips with. Being happy for people that LIKE something, even if you don't like it yourself, is a good skill to practice.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    Basically they have pissed all over any supporter who has ever bought a hypercrate on the cash shop. The new way of doing quest, heroic, even flashpoint loot and rewards, mixed in with the crafting changes makes every cash shop outfit basically only have fashion value. Blues now drop with much better stats per level than any purple crafted mod your level can elevate slotted armor and weapons. Not only that but every penny we spent on companion gifts to tweak the companions we needed the most is now moot. Frankly I personally feel robbed of hundred if not thousands of dollars.
  • hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    I just finished the story. BW finally did it, this is the SWTOR game that should have been since launch. Amazing and pretty much a whole new game. 
  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    edited October 2015
    hikaru77 said:
    I just finished the story. BW finally did it, this is the SWTOR game that should have been since launch. Amazing and pretty much a whole new game. 
    Is the HERO game engine finally fixed? Do the planets have open gameplay instead of a linear themepark ride/level based zones with 1 way to finish them and move on to the next zone/planet? Are instanced pvp matches finally something different then aoe spam wars and a dps guy running with a healer behind him? Planets have weather/day/night cycles? Does it finally feel like STAR WARS?

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433
    Cool, definitely coming back to check it out soonish. Still so many singleplayers to check out though... Perhaps after Fallout 4 :p Always makes me laugh how every post about TOR still generates an endless stream of hate. Even after years...

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    Muke said:
    hikaru77 said:
    Is the HERO game engine finally fixed? Do the planets have open gameplay instead of a linear themepark ride/level based zones with 1 way to finish them and move on to the next zone/planet? Are instanced pvp matches finally something different then aoe spam wars and a dps guy running with a healer behind him? Planets have weather/day/night cycles? Does it finally feel like STAR WARS?
    Clearly, you dont play the game. But i can say this, it feel like KOTOR 3.   
  • Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158

That impresses you? 700 people. That literally is clearly only hardcore fans, and by the sounds even a lot of them don't play. More people are playing SWGEMU right now than that.  
    You realize they are starting planets right? Not to mention only two of them and on a single server. 
  • Jonnyp2Jonnyp2 Member UncommonPosts: 243
    Muke said:
    hikaru77 said:

The game is supposed to be a linear themepark with a focus on story.  Mmorpg's don't have to be an open world sandbox to be considered good.  Not sure what type of instanced pvp you've done in swtor, but it's definitely not what you're describing.  Although if you're making complaints that dumb about the state of pvp then I'm sure you click half your abilities and hold down "s" to kite.

I hate having to defend a game that I'm barely more than lukewarm on, but it's frustrating to see the sheer amount of stupidity that comes from some of these posts. 
  • GameFXGameFX Member UncommonPosts: 6
    edited October 2015
    SWTOR detractors can be still be upset over what SWTOR is. That's their right. But it's clear that EA and BioWare value the title and the millions of dollars it continues to earn. That's nothing but "good news" for fans of the game.

And that's something we should all try to come to grips with. Being happy for people that LIKE something, even if you don't like it yourself, is a good skill to practice.
    I completely disagree Bill...After BW basically pee'd on all of us with the game, I would like the game to crash and restart completely. It only costs us the co-founders of BW to leave and a few other founders to leave. The only original BW member left I think is James Ohlsen?

Fans like myself wanted and continue to want a Star Wars MMO, not a Star Wars single player game. The fact that they want you to pay a monthly sub to experience these "chapters" is ridiculous. Meanwhile the multiplayer aspects of the game are completely lacking, yet are always overlooked because of reasons.

The expansion brought nothing to the lacking end game, nothing to PvP, nothing to crafting, nothing to world objectives, nothing to galactic starfigther, game still has ridiculous skill bloat, and the visual upgrades and engine enhancements they claim to have made have been anything but; as the game still cant handle many players on the screen at once.

You mention the amount of money it makes and we both know the reason for that, it's IP....Look at the core game. You strip this title of Star Wars and let's see how well it does? Flipside strip a game like FF14 Reborn of it's title and it would still do amazingly well as a MMO, strip WoW and it will still do really well because of how solid the gameplay systems are. TOR is an average 'game' at best and instead of praising BioWare for something we all know they do really well, we should be criticizing them for their lack of effort on the other fronts.
  • evgen88evgen88 Member UncommonPosts: 120
    just tried it out myself, went to make a new 60 for the hell of it.
    character was different than i designed. put in a ticket.
    few minutes in my character is suddenly on fire. Campfire apparently. kills me. keep trying to proceed to the next area. Campfire will kill me after I have time to kill about one enemy group. I figure out the area is supposed to be on fire. Nothing visually to enforce that. After more than a few deaths I'm in the next area still on fire. I see that I am gathering damaging debuffs from the moment I respawn, up to 10. This is in tutorial for insta 60s, you get your powers a few at a time, though I am a sage I only have one weak self heal and shields, still die quickly. Get a comp that heals me, manage to proceed a little better. Comp isn't on fire, nor are the enemies, just me. Then I find out the game doesn't like this improved progress. It just kills me after a certain period of time. No matter what my health. Killed by campfire damage 0.Enter a rage ticket, ask for my sub money back.
    WTF seriously. Not like this is a new game. How did that bug slip by? Piece of garbage.

• ImpacthoundImpacthound Member UncommonPosts: 367
    Chapters 1-9 were a decent three-hour movie in pieces off of youtube or Dulfy's site, I was surprised it was so much better than the past two expansion's story. The actual MMO parts of the game & the watered down gameplay is pretty bad-looking though. I watched what I wanted to see, and don't need to pay for a letdown, lmao