Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help me find a game good at Crafting, pets and housing please!

ladysunstoneladysunstone Member UncommonPosts: 6
I am looking for a game that has crafting, houses and pets.  These are the three elements that I love most in a mmorpg.  I have not found a good one since Ultima Online.  An even better bonus would be character customization.  Some player hosted servers let you change the colour of crafted items you were wearing and carrying and that was awesome.  The only problem I had with the game was I kept getting my character deleted if I didn't log in a couple of weeks. 
Thanks!
Jenny

Comments

• MurmelixMurmelix Member UncommonPosts: 53
    Hi,

did you try Wildstar? It has everything you're looking for, is free and you can even customize your mount/verhicle
  • makasouleater69makasouleater69 Member UncommonPosts: 1,096
    edited October 2015
    I am looking for a game that has crafting, houses and pets.  These are the three elements that I love most in a mmorpg.  I have not found a good one since Ultima Online.  An even better bonus would be character customization.  Some player hosted servers let you change the colour of crafted items you were wearing and carrying and that was awesome.  The only problem I had with the game was I kept getting my character deleted if I didn't log in a couple of weeks. 
    Thanks!
    Jenny
    The only one I can recommend, is ARK. UO is pay 2 win cash shop, and it is even worse on private servers. Ark, has good crafting, the housing is the best, since you build everything. You can change everything about the leveling system, with private servers, or play on the official servers. You wont find a better pet system. It reminds me of UO, but better. You tame everything from dinosaurs, to monkeys, and you can breed them, and get a better pet. They come in a variety of colors, but there are mods that add more if that is your thing.  

Just to let you know though, which a lot of people including me don't like, which can be changed on a private server, it literally takes 12 hours to tame some of the harder animals. Which is extremely boring, you just sit for 12 hours, and then if you join a pvp server, some one can come and kill it, while your taming it. I have mine at 3x, but I will prolly up it, have to test it though.  

The game requires a high end computer to run on full settings though, which looks really good. The only way i can describe it is, I watched a documentary on netflix called DinoFish, and then went and swam in ARK, which has that fish, and it was almost like being with the fish in RL. 

You will need a 390+ 970+ to run it at max though. I had a 370 though, before i upgraded, and i was able to get around 30 fps, with medium settings. 

It is a sandbox though, so if you are looking for questing, its rather like UO, as in there are no quests. You would have to come up with your own quests, but ARK def scratched my UO crafting and taming ich, as the saying goes. 

I have a private server, if you would like to join. Only me and my friend play on it now, but I hope to change that. It is capable of hosting 100 or more, I dono if I want that many though.  I am open for the mods, and settings to run on it. So if you want a say in how your game server is ran, I am def open to changing things.  But there are 16 thousand other private servers, and quite a few official, so you will have plenty to choice from :) Good luck in your search.

The other game that would do that for you is Mortal Online, but that has more bugs than ARK alpha, and is filled with some vile people.  
  • CraveModeCraveMode Member UncommonPosts: 31
    Although it is a sandbox, it is more "survival" and not an MMO like she is wanting. I believe she wants an MMO that is more casual than ARK, socialize and what not. It is nothing like UO to be honest, but I understand what you were getting at.

I would like to find the same thing, but I think you may like Archeage. I don't play it, haven't since shortly after release. Back then, it was nearly impossible to get housing. It isn't nearly the best housing system, but there is furniture and decorations, farming, pet system and mounts. You can even sail on a boat. Unfortunately, it is a slow paced game, you won't have all that right away but it isn't too bad if you find friends or a guild on there.

Tactical Terror
    Facebook / Twitter
    No Mercy. No Remorse. Just Business.

CraveMode said:
    Although it is a sandbox, it is more "survival" and not an MMO like she is wanting. I believe she wants an MMO that is more casual than ARK, socialize and what not. It is nothing like UO to be honest, but I understand what you were getting at.

I would like to find the same thing, but I think you may like Archeage. I don't play it, haven't since shortly after release. Back then, it was nearly impossible to get housing. It isn't nearly the best housing system, but there is furniture and decorations, farming, pet system and mounts. You can even sail on a boat. Unfortunately, it is a slow paced game, you won't have all that right away but it isn't too bad if you find friends or a guild on there.
    Well, I def consider it a MMO. As far as the official servers go, you can switch, and keep your character. So, in all mmos, minus EVE, you literally switch servers, when you go to different zones, so it is the same thing. You can't play Archeage with 20000 people at once, there is not a mmo, but eve where you can do that. 
  • markh777markh777 Member UncommonPosts: 150
    Wilstar for the win, win, and win
  • XanzoXanzo Member UncommonPosts: 129
    I would say Wildstar also. Although ARK has some great things in it that she's looking for, I don't think the "survival" aspect would be up her alley. Mainly because if someone wants housing, pets and crafting as main things in an mmo, then they probably want more of a casual gaming environment. Just my opinion. So, yeah, Wildstar!
  • carotidcarotid Member UncommonPosts: 425
    She won't like Wildstar. Crafting in Wildstar is horrible. Just the interface alone makes me want to vomit.
  • DarkluvDarkluv Member UncommonPosts: 2
    FFXIV has the best crafting system, it has housing (although all the land is gone right now until 45 days after 3.1 when they implement a system to demolish houses that have been inactive for 45 days,) and they have lots of minions.

They are also adding a RTS style PvP pet battling game called "Lord of Verminion" in patch 3.1 in early November.
  • uberfixuberfix Member CommonPosts: 3
    Albion online?
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    LotR maybe
  • SyosSyos Member UncommonPosts: 5
    Try Archeage, solid housing system, many pets to get or to catch, mounts too, crafting is complex too, trade is cool too, or w8 for black desert
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    CraveMode said:

Well, I def consider it a MMO. As far as the official servers go, you can switch, and keep your character. So, in all mmos, minus EVE, you literally switch servers, when you go to different zones, so it is the same thing. You can't play Archeage with 20000 people at once, there is not a mmo, but eve where you can do that. 
    It's not a bad game, but it has so few players per server that i doubt it in any way resembles what the person is looking for, and most MMO's these days have at least 3000 people per server, tbh, any game that can't even handle 64 people on a server barely even classes as multiplayer, and certainly not as an MMO.

ARK is a good game, but, it doesn't sound like the kind of game they are looking for.

Archeage might, but with the heavy PVP emphasis of the game, it might fail on that point.
    FFXIV;ARR, does have a heavy crafting emphasis, and is more of a cooperative PVE game, with a lot of minions etc, along with pet classes that might be more to their liking, particularly as it is a game with a heavy social aspect, which i am not sure applies to Archeage, though i might be mistaken.
  • ladysunstoneladysunstone Member UncommonPosts: 6
    Wow I am overwhelmed.  You have all been so helpful!  Thank you so much :-) 

I prefer PvE rather than PVP.  I admit I spent more time in UO in cities or with a friendly group to help get to the interesting places as I found it a little frustrating when high level players enjoy hunting newbies.  I am also in Australia and that does affect the speed of the connection so casual gameplay is better where I don't have to be 100% competitive to get ahead.

I will have a lot of fun testing all of these suggestions anyway even the PVP ones as the ARG graphics sound amazing.  I hope my system can handle it:-)
    Wow I am overwhelmed.  You have all been so helpful!  Thank you so much :-) 

I prefer PvE rather than PVP.  I admit I spent more time in UO in cities or with a friendly group to help get to the interesting places as I found it a little frustrating when high level players enjoy hunting newbies.  I am also in Australia and that does affect the speed of the connection so casual gameplay is better where I don't have to be 100% competitive to get ahead.

I will have a lot of fun testing all of these suggestions anyway even the PVP ones as the ARG graphics sound amazing.  I hope my system can handle it:-)
    I am sure you will find a server where you get good ping. Remember with ARK, if there is anything you dislike, you can change it, and I do mean anything. Don't like pvp turn it off, level to fast turn it down, abilities arent right change them, ect. When i get the 42 gb editor downloaded, I plan on making the UO dragon.

Your system should be able to handle it, even if its really old. I have seen people with 560s playing. They said they are coming out with direct x 12 next week, which will according to them give a 20% boost. 
    edited October 2015

Phry said:
    CraveMode said:

It's not a bad game, but it has so few players per server that i doubt it in any way resembles what the person is looking for, and most MMO's these days have at least 3000 people per server, tbh, any game that can't even handle 64 people on a server barely even classes as multiplayer, and certainly not as an MMO.

ARK is a good game, but, it doesn't sound like the kind of game they are looking for.

Archeage might, but with the heavy PVP emphasis of the game, it might fail on that point.
    FFXIV;ARR, does have a heavy crafting emphasis, and is more of a cooperative PVE game, with a lot of minions etc, along with pet classes that might be more to their liking, particularly as it is a game with a heavy social aspect, which i am not sure applies to Archeage, though i might be mistaken.
    Well the main reason i suggested it, is because I have been looking for a UO/SWG replacement for years now. I have literally tried everything. ARK is the closest I have found, to the feel of UO/SWG.

The other one I forgot to mention, which has currently IMO, the best crafting system ever created, which is a traditional MMO, it has no taming though, and a weak housing system, Ryzom. That has way lower system requirements, but still looks good. I played it in till i found ark. Ryzom, is a non casual game though, not in the sense you will be competing, or pvp, which it has, but is consent only. It literally takes years to level up. 

One more I forgot too, is WURM unlimited, it has good crafting, and building, the combat is weak, and the graphics are dated though. 
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Ignore the Archeage suggestions.  You can only craft the basics without PVPing or using the cash shop and the crafting system is based on random number generation rather than skill. 

Ryzom is a solid suggestion and you can get into it for free at the start
    SWTOR Rift and WildStar have solid housing systems but the crafting is a bit boring
    Wurm is a solid crafters game

An interesting alternative is Eve Online.  While it does not have housing it does have player built stations, a solid crafting system and the best trading system of any game I have ever played.  Jump in for free and try the life of an interstellar trader for a week or two.

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD