Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is there still any game with no quests out there?

Gabriel-KnightGabriel-Knight Member UncommonPosts: 89
Well, as title says. Is there any game with no quests involved to progress, just like UO? I would play it because it has every single aspect i like on a game, except that the combat is so boring that makes me wanna smash the screen with my chair.
Suggestions?

Comments

• BobalueBobalue Member UncommonPosts: 78
    Darkfall Unholy Wars. 
  • LerxstLerxst Member UncommonPosts: 648
    Linkrealms. Much like UO with improved animations and and a graphics boost.
  • kinartkinart Member UncommonPosts: 127
    Lerxst said:
    Linkrealms has quests. It's not your typical quest-spamming game though, that's why you probably forgot them.
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Depends.  If you like PVP some games allow you to level up that way instead of questing. 

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906

I'm not sure I understand what you are asking for.  You said no quests then your description said no combat.  So are you looking for a game that doesn't require combat to reach top level or what here?

Are you onto something or just on something?
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    filmoret said:

I'm not sure I understand what you are asking for.  You said no quests then your description said no combat.  So are you looking for a game that doesn't require combat to reach top level or what here?

Unless he changed it, his description says he would play UO but doesn't like the combat. Nothing about looking for a game that has no combat.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • SomeHumanSomeHuman Member UncommonPosts: 560
    Lerxst said:
    Linkrealms isn't running currently is it?  Isn't it in some sort of re-releasing beta?

Gaming since 1985; Online gaming since 1995; No End in Sight! My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8POVoJ8fdOseuJ4U1ZX-oA

• evgen88evgen88 Member UncommonPosts: 120
    Wouldn't ignorable quests be the best option? Or do you mean no punctuation floating above peoples heads? I can't see some kind of optional story/activity as a bad thing.
  • TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    Didn't AC2 originally release with 0 quest?
    So he wants a game with no story or direction?  Well Mortal Online doesn't have any story or direction.  I mean if you don't want npc's rewarding you for doing things?  Is that what you mean by no quests?
  • JaimlJaiml Member UncommonPosts: 130
    Chess
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    Trove , Ark

• goflishgoflish Member UncommonPosts: 32
    Darkfall Unholy Wars is about as close as you will get to no quests + UO style gameplay.
  • jimMMOjimMMO Member UncommonPosts: 19
    rodingo said:
    Depends.  If you like PVP some games allow you to level up that way instead of questing. 
    I am looking for such games. Can you name some?
  • RenfailRenfail Member EpicPosts: 1,638
    Our game is being designed in such a way that there are zero quest hubs, and no experience points, but instead skill points like UO. While there are quests, they are there for lore purposes, and like in EQ1, they are not required to actually play the game, but are optional and there to earn extra gear or learn more about the world, but not to progress. 
    Tim "Renfail" Anderson | Wandering Hermits Patreon
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    Renfail said:
    Our game is being designed in such a way that there are zero quest hubs, and no experience points, but instead skill points like UO. While there are quests, they are there for lore purposes, and like in EQ1, they are not required to actually play the game, but are optional and there to earn extra gear or learn more about the world, but not to progress. 
    Hope so.  Can't wait until 2018 to see how it turns out!

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Renfail said:

No need to wait :) Come join the fun this Saturday with the next alpha test weekend :) 
    Renfail said:
    Renfail said:

No need to wait :) Come join the fun this Saturday with the next alpha test weekend :) 
    Send me a key and I will.

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    H1Z1, just about any sandbox survival game.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Well, as title says. Is there any game with no quests involved to progress, just like UO? I would play it because it has every single aspect i like on a game, except that the combat is so boring that makes me wanna smash the screen with my chair.
    Suggestions?
    Age of Wushu. You quest for the first 2-3 hours. Kinda like an intro. After that never do another if you don't want to.

ESO, it's possible to just pvp to cap , but it would take awile. Awhile like months.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    Renfail said:
    Renfail said:

All pre-orders come with a key :) 
    Renfail said:
    Renfail said:
    Renfail said:

All pre-orders come with a key :) 
    You specifically told me not to pre-order your game. More than once...
    You said not to look at it until 2018...  
    Thus I was and continue to be confused by your statement.

Anyhow, back on topic with games that actually exist today and can be played without quests I guess I would have to say Darkfall.  But it's pure PvP and I guess they actually do have the equivalent of kill quests.  Mortal is an abomination but is also very light on quests.   What about Wurm or the newly released Wurm Unlimited?

I wonder if he considers GW2 as having quests.  I mean you are rewarded for completing objectives but there are so many different ones.  And you never have to actually talk to an npc to complete them.  You could reach max level in WVW fairly quickly if you know what to do and how to do it.  Cant just stand there hitting a wall with your sword to gain exp.  You also get exp by crafting or gathering or simply exploring.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited October 2015
    EVE, no quest based progression at all, though it does have quests (missions) for ISK and items.

But the comment about boring combat in UO might mean that EVE's combat would be the end of your computer and we don't want that.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• thunderclesthundercles Member UncommonPosts: 510
    wurm or wurm unlimited

http://store.steampowered.com/app/366220/

The one sandbox to rule them all.