Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Popular MMORPGs To Play While Waiting For The Next Best Thing?

2»

Comments

• FomaldehydeJimFomaldehydeJim Member UncommonPosts: 673
    edited October 2015
    I keep returning to MMOs because I like the idea of the social aspect, but then when you pick up a modern MMO you are reminded how solo-centric they are, and how little time other players seem to have for the "multi-player" part of the acronym.

You rush dungeons in silence, you rush world objectives in silence, you rush events in silence, you rush pvp in silence... I tell a lie, the crappest player on the team will scream "L2P" at everyone else a few times, you grind through the solo quests for a while. 

And I have had this revelation several times, but I seem to have it whenever I pick up a modern MMO after a break... If I am soloing everything anyway, then solo games tend to do it so much better. 
  • moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530
    I know this sounds crazy, but why do you need to play an MMORPG when waiting for the "Next Big Thing" ?

Psst Vermintide

• JohnxboyJohnxboy Member UncommonPosts: 104
    edited October 2015
    I keep returning to MMOs because I like the idea of the social aspect, but then when you pick up a modern MMO you are reminded how solo-centric they are, and how little time other players seem to have for the "multi-player" part of the acronym.

You rush dungeons in silence, you rush world objectives in silence, you rush events in silence, you rush pvp in silence... I tell a lie, the crappest player on the team will scream "L2P" at everyone else a few times, you grind through the solo quests for a while. 

And I have had this revelation several times, but I seem to have it whenever I pick up a modern MMO after a break... If I am soloing everything anyway, then solo games tend to do it so much better. 
    No, modern rpg are too easy, simplistic and boring. (not counting B&S, or black desert). [mod edit]
    Post edited by Vaross on
  • soulmirrorsoulmirror Member UncommonPosts: 124
    I am hoping that this breaks the solo-centric movement of MMO's for me.  Initially, it looks good.  https://sagaoflucimia.com/.  

For now, I find relief at GOG.com... 

• RenfailRenfail Member EpicPosts: 1,638
    I am hoping that this breaks the solo-centric movement of MMO's for me.  Initially, it looks good.  https://sagaoflucimia.com/.  

Cheers :) 

Next alpha weekend kicks off this Saturday, and we're rolling combat into the mix, plus testing our zoning functionality and some new server code to check stability and our latest interest management tweaks :) 

Then we're spending the rest of 2015 focused on polishing up the code and server architecture ahead of our big push in 2016. Fun times ahead!
    Tim "Renfail" Anderson | Wandering Hermits Patreon
  • AshfordThunderAshfordThunder Member UncommonPosts: 23
    Guild Wars 2, it's f2p so just try out.
  • fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Cecropia said:
    Kazuhiro said:
    waynejr2 said:
    How about taking a total break from gaming.
    Not bad advice. I've been trying to find something else to fill my free time that I'd enjoy, haven't found it yet. If I ever do, I'll finally give up mmos and maybe even gaming for good. Games in general have become a declining source of fun for me over the past five years. I'm ready and willing to put them behind me for good.

...I don't have enough free time for my many hobbies ...
    You most certainly have more than enough time for your mmorpg.com hobby... :p
    That's why there is no time for gaming. Trolling the forums is so much more fun :p

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• KazuhiroKazuhiro Member UncommonPosts: 607

I have to admit, after reading up on that, the design concept is amazing. I just hope it can deliver what it promises. God knows we could use a "social" and group oriented mmo these days.

To find an intelligent person in a PUG is not that rare, but to find a PUG made up of "all" intelligent people is one of the rarest phenomenons in the known universe.

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535
    I got a second job so I can afford the top Alpha Package / Founder Pack for the next greatest MMO, whatever it may be.

No time to play anything.
  • Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member RarePosts: 2,177
    I think Darkfall is the funnest MMORPG right now.

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA

• mohit9206mohit9206 Member UncommonPosts: 56
    Hi i am looking for a new free MMORPG to play and need your opinion on which game is better between Skyforge and Wildstar.The only other mmorpgs i have played are RIFT and NeverWinter and i liked NeverWinter much more.I would just download both and find out for myself but since i have a slow internet,i'd rather download only one game.It would be nice if someone could write a short list of pros and cons for both games.That would be enough for me to make a decision.I am very confused between these two games.Thank You.
  • RenfailRenfail Member EpicPosts: 1,638
    Kazuhiro said:

I have to admit, after reading up on that, the design concept is amazing. I just hope it can deliver what it promises. God knows we could use a "social" and group oriented mmo these days.
    Stick around @Kazuhiro ;

Lots more coming :) We just finished up a 2nd Q&A for mmorpg.com here, which should be published next week, and our next alpha build should be out in late November. For more info, be sure to head on over to our forums and ask the existing community what their thoughts are, after they've gotten their feet wet a bit :) 
    Tim "Renfail" Anderson | Wandering Hermits Patreon
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Sinking time in?
    My honest perception of gaming is almost nothing.

Now if i knew for fact what is in store for FFXI after March when they are possibly closing the game down,i would definitely indulge in FFXI,however.There is a newer mobile type FFXI being made,said by the developer "Square" to possibly be better than FFXI,i highly doubt that but it might be decent you never know.

everything depends on the developer,i know Epic games has proven you could build a decent game on mobile just that most look like 25 year old budget games.

I mention this because the term SINKING was used,that says to me longevity,commitment.I personally feel there is nothing that warrants that right now,more so just go in for a short ride and enjoy.If you are just running in for a short ride while  waiting eq2/Wow are already there and established.

I assume that if you are enjoying FPS you will end up following everyone else into Overwatch.I personally think the game is a cheap rendition of better fps's from days past and does it cheesy with unlimited ammo and radar and spam combat.

Pantheon also might be worth watching,it is close i think maybe a year max away.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615
    sonicbrew said:
    Sadly there is no "best" thing. The days of killer MMO's are long past...
    Source? Link?

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

• MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    FFXIV:ARR is a decent waste of time

Personally I'm waiting for Revival.
    https://www.revivalgame.com/

https://www.revivalgame.com/philosophy/mission_statement
    Revival is the rebirth of the player-driven, sandbox, fantasy role-playing world. Player agency, world persistence, and absolutely zero compromises are the cornerstones of our quest for a living, persistent, dark fantasy role-playing world.

Diamond medium header textHeader underline

What Revival is

Contrary to appearances, Revival is not a typical MMORPG (ala WoW or Everquest.) It is instead more accurate to describe Revival as an interactive persistent experience. What we are creating in Revival is much more than a game. It is, in fact, more like an ongoing drama where each and every player has an opportunity to enjoy a starring role. Revival is our effort to revive the promise of the virtual world, and bring back a truly open-world sandbox role-playing experience.

Ms 001

Revival’s content is unprecedented in the field of online gaming. Much like other Massively Multiplayer Online games, Revival will facilitate the simultaneous interaction of thousands of players as they explore a wonderous fantasy world, rife with adventure. Unlike these others, however, the player’s course through the lands of Revival is not preordained, and the adventures they will experience are unpredictable and unique. The hands of the gods move on the surface of Theleston, and players may choose to be their tool, or their foil. Be warned though, those that choose to meddle in the affairs of gods may find themselves pawns in a greater game.

Our team of live GM’s ensures that every adventure occurs in-the-moment and every event is primarily player-focused. Player investment in the world is recognized and rewarded with real effects. From economic pressure to outright war, Theleston is a dynamic world of player interactions. The fates of all, from the price of apples to the rise and fall of the cities of the world are in the hands of the players.

Ms 002

The role that a player will take on in the world that we have created is not one akin to the forward in a game of hockey, or the quarterback on a football team, but is instead one of dramatis personae. In Revival, you are not simply a collection of stats and tropes, a cookie-cutter fighter or mage. Instead you play the part of a unique individual with the capability to help shape the rise or fall of empires.

Gone are the days of poring over walkthrough websites featuring a lengthy description of the process that you will then undertake to defeat the Dreadlord Ignominious Thrax, just like everyone else at your level, only to leave him alive for the next group in line. Finally behind us are endless runs through the same content, only to get a chance at receiving a purple bit of gear that all of the others of your class on the server already have. Items in Revival are as individual as the players, and building your personal kit is a reflection of your individual play-style, not the rote completion of a template.

“Explore, defeat powerful monsters, CREATE HISTORY”

What Revival is Not

While other games have gone to great lengths to sharply define each class and role, constraining them to very specific game actions and playstyles, at Illfonic, we find this notion of player class as role to be needlessly limiting.

Why must all magic users be frail? Can a swordsman never learn the arcane arts? Why must each type of player be labeled and limited by an arbitrary set of roles, like ‘Tank,’ ‘Healer,’ or ‘DPS’? In the world of Revival, your character is an expression of your play style and your preferences. Make no mistake, no single character will be able to master all-disciplines, meaningful choices must be made and each will have character-defining consequences. Thus, each character will be unique, defined by the scope of their adventures, and known by their deeds.

Silhouette recognition be damned. There is more to a character than their “build” - and more to role-playing than racing up a ladder of statistics. With Revival, we intend to put the focus on the world and the actions of the players within it, not on peak DPS or maximizing chance of crit.

The Powers Are Watching

In the world of Revival, our live development team is always watching. Every deed is seen and recorded. Illfonic is developing a comprehensive metrics system that allows our live team to monitor and record everything that happens in the world of Theleston. More importantly, it allows us to react. At Illfonic we want to encourage player investment and participation in the world.

The more that a player interacts with the world, the greater the record of their deeds. Our live team of GM’s will monitor the world and react in real time. Player organizations and their actions will be recognized and supported, or thwarted, by the powers of Theleston. Will your guild support the Great Old Ones that came to our world from the stars? Or will you pursue the elemental powers of the Elder Gods? The choices made by the players will steer the course of the world of Theleston.

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Avanah said:
    sonicbrew said:
    Sadly there is no "best" thing. The days of killer MMO's are long past...
    Source? Link?

Just pick any thread with the word "oldschool" in at this forum.....

But it is true that the difficulty and time consument of a game is pretty different now from 19 years ago when I started playing. And I don't think that is a good thing. The general quality of the games is good though.

OP: I think GW2 is the best around at the moment, ESO is worth a look and if you want something sandboxier try Archeage.
  • TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    If you are looking for a game to fill time and really like story....TSW is great to pop in and experience the many stories. Great game to play casually.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    After much trial, error and retrial, the wife and I are going to go all in on GW2 and see what it has to offer. 
    Good luck to you...It felt like more of the same to me...The events and quests are fun for a short time but get extremely tedious after a bit....I don't miss the game one iota....As for the OP, you will probably end up like most of us where you just go from one game to another with each lasting anywhere from one day to a couple months.