Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chronicles of Elyria | Maps, Cartography, and Navigation | MMORPG

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited October 2015 in News & Features Discussion

imageChronicles of Elyria | Maps, Cartography, and Navigation | MMORPG

In this week’s design journal delve into the Explorer role with a look at a few of Chronicles of Elyria’s most compelling and innovative features: player-created maps, dynamic place names, and sensory maps.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SabbicatSabbicat Member UncommonPosts: 290
    I can see that the crafting of a compass, pocket sundial and sextant to be a lucrative business needed to supply all the adventurers.
  • RhaegysRhaegys Member UncommonPosts: 29
    I love this mechanics because it gives a real value to explorers, making a way for them to get a profit out of their hard work. Also, I think the naming of places mechanic is just brilliant! It's a really way that see how can you left a mark in the world.
  • neschrianeschria Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    What I want to know is if you can import/export files with ArcGIS/ArcMaps. Heh. (J/K... I am a geographer IRL, so I am jazzed about the cartography though.)

This is where I draw the line: __________________.

• Vada_GVada_G Member UncommonPosts: 85
    I see so many people getting lost and screaming for help. I can't bloody wait.
  • WinterstoneWinterstone Member UncommonPosts: 33
    DMKano said:
    This game keeps looking better and better. Kudos to devs - really nice to read about the features so far. I hope they can pull it off in the end and have an actual complete MMO.
    I feel the same way. Kind of scary isn't it? Considering for years what we mmorpg fans have done to our selves from hype.
  • User836User836 Member UncommonPosts: 117
    A WoW-clone with a character turnover system with ageing and permadeath in itself would have been bold. This... it's BOLD in capital letters, written in bold.
  • ZultraZultra Member UncommonPosts: 385
    Think of it this way, those who have real life skills with maps and mapmaking will have a huge advantage, most people will be terrible at making accurate maps.
    Sign up for Chronicles of Elyria here don't forget to use my friend code - B4ACB3

Join the revolutionary MMO! 
  • sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950
    You either spelled Role incorrectly or you where making a pun off of roll. Either way, shame on you.
  • JeromyWalshJeromyWalsh Soulbound StudiosMember UncommonPosts: 134
    sketocafe said:
    You either spelled Role incorrectly or you where making a pun off of roll. Either way, shame on you.
    Good catch. I'll work with MMORPG.com to make sure the article is updated with the correct "role".

Aside from that, what did you think of the design journal?
    Jeromy Walsh, 
    Owner/CEO of Soulbound Studios
    ChroniclesOfElyria.com
  • sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458
    DMKano said:
    This game keeps looking better and better. Kudos to devs - really nice to read about the features so far. I hope they can pull it off in the end and have an actual complete MMO.
    Agree 100% These people really deeply impress with the depth of thought they've put into creating a truly immersive world.
  • mistmakermistmaker Member UncommonPosts: 321
    Can this game be really made?
  • sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458
    neschria said:
    What I want to know is if you can import/export files with ArcGIS/ArcMaps. Heh. (J/K... I am a geographer IRL, so I am jazzed about the cartography though.)
    Back in old EQ, back in the old days with no map system, as a low level player without sense heading trained up you could get lost, and it did make for some real terror/adventure!
    mistmaker said:
    Absolutely! Can and is. 
    Jeromy Walsh, 
    ChroniclesOfElyria.com
  • WinterstoneWinterstone Member UncommonPosts: 33
    mistmaker said:
    Makes you wonder right? But one thing for certain it'll be something like not having maps and cartography that might back some AWE into a world....A brave new world :pleased: 
  • AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,797
    I like this. A LOT. This means mystery and research in the game. I don't want to explore just for the visual sights. I want to explore for knowledge, discovery, and reward.

Once upon a time....

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited October 2015
    Yep from me you get :)

Personally i would not go to this extreme for maps or using a compass but i can't complain either,the more depth a game has the happier i am. However i have said something about almost every game that comes out and the same statement will hold true in this game as well.We have seen MANY games tell us what they are doing different or better but in the end ,all that matters is HOW people are playing a game.

So far i am certain that everyone has seen gaming the same as me,nothing more than level numbers and a race to end game.This game is using aging which right away is a huge step in the right direction,but what exactly are players going to be doing in the game is what matters.Example we have linear questing which is 99% of the games,everyone follows the same pattern,same route all for the same purpose,i look at that as very shallow gaming.

I bring this point up because my fave game "FFXI" has a massive amount of content,i doubt any game has more ,however players don't use it,they do the same thing as in other games,just race to end level then grind for loot.I really hope this game can remove itself from the same old and allow players to play THEIR game and not have everyone following the same patterns of game play.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

mistmaker said:
    Absolutely! Can and is. 
    Great. I like those features so far. But dont forget, combat has to be fun too, and my guess, the playerbase for such a game is more classic than "twitchy" (wildstar, gw2,...). When animations are great, world is not instanced, it will be a great game. If it only would be star wars...
  • dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005
    This sounds scary good. I no longer buy the fact that people don't have time to play games so they want to play games where time is not involved. That sounds so crazy. Like saying I don't want to watch tv so I want a tv show that just puts the entire evening tv lineup in 5 minutes of a commercial. My only concerns for this game is to figure out a way so that players can play with one another without worrying about level disparity .
  • TekaichiTekaichi Member UncommonPosts: 21
    edited October 2015
    dontadow said:
    This sounds scary good. I no longer buy the fact that people don't have time to play games so they want to play games where time is not involved. That sounds so crazy. Like saying I don't want to watch tv so I want a tv show that just puts the entire evening tv lineup in 5 minutes of a commercial. My only concerns for this game is to figure out a way so that players can play with one another without worrying about level disparity .
    There is no "levels" atleast in the usual concept. A player can be more skilled at something or not. You should read the DJ about skills to understand that. 
    A new player can play with a regular player,  there is always something you can do, "levels" aren't a thing.
  • codexana4411codexana4411 Member UncommonPosts: 8
    remind me of the log horizon ( an anime about mmo for those who dont know) pretty same systems like crafting and exploring
  • ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,340
    mistmaker said:
    yes and no. Depends on how much they raise in capital in this kickstarter. I would say at least 3 to 5 million on hardware alone then maybe 400 to 450 developers artists, programmers and engineers about 6 to 8 years to put it together. Other than that not a chance in hell.
    ArChWind — MMORPG.com Forums

If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.
    ArChWind said:
    mistmaker said:
    yes and no. Depends on how much they raise in capital in this kickstarter. I would say at least 3 to 5 million on hardware alone then maybe 400 to 450 developers artists, programmers and engineers about 6 to 8 years to put it together. Other than that not a chance in hell.
    Challenge accepted.
    Jeromy Walsh, 
    ChroniclesOfElyria.com
    6-8 y is too long and just 400k wages for 8y developing isnt enough. It has to be 3-4y max and about 3 millions for wages my guess. They dont need to do story and probably no quests either (?). That saves time. How i understand it, they implement tools for player generated stuff. Lot of work will go into creating the world and animations. 3y seems realistic
  • ZultraZultra Member UncommonPosts: 385
    I doubt it will take 8 years to develop. 
    Sign up for Chronicles of Elyria here don't forget to use my friend code - B4ACB3

Join the revolutionary MMO! 
  • CambruinCambruin Member UncommonPosts: 72
    I don't get it. Where did this game come from? I have never heard of it before and yet here it is, on top of my wishlist. Nay, scrap that; the ONLY game on my wishlist. As a matter of fact, with the exception of Shroud of the Avatar (boy what a mess that seems to have become), it's the only game in years to have reached said list. No SWtOR, no ArcheAge, no Bless, no Rift, no ESO, no Wildstar, no nada. Nothing ever seemed appealing enough, yet somehow this game gets my attention.