Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Display?

BrachusBrachus Member UncommonPosts: 97
I've been using a Samsung Syncmaster T260 for about 8 yrs and it still works fine, but I have been thinking about an upgrade. My problem is that I hate 16:9 for, well...anything. I've been holding off since it is difficult to find any 16:10 displays anymore. I was looking at a Dell U3425W (link below) today and find myself intrigued. I've been skeptical of the ultrawide displays, but at 34" and curved, I'm wondering if I might like this model. I mostly play RPG's and MMO's with very little time on FPS'. Does anyone have this display and have any feedback? Any feedback on ultrawide displays for gaming?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824260239

Comments

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I use an Asus VW246H triple monitor setup for about the same amount of time.  When I feel I need a change I switch to a 55'' sharp flatscreen tv which works really well for gaming.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    The price of IPS monitors have significantly dropped in price. You can probably setup 3-27" IPS monitors for the price of a 34" ultrawide.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    If you hate 16:9 and prefer 16:10, then why are you looking at a 21:9 monitor?
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    edited October 2015
    You can also get 4k 40"+ IPS panel monitors for around the same price as that. You will need DisplayPort 1.2 and manually set the refresh rate to 60Hz to use it though.
    Post edited by Cleffy on
  • BrachusBrachus Member UncommonPosts: 97
    Quizzical said:
    I haven't really used a 21:9 monitor for anything before. I've been uncomfortable with any 16:9 monitor I've used for anything. I can't really say for sure why, I just don't like them. They don't feel right to me. Having never used a 21:9, I wasn't sure if I would have the same feeling or if the extra width and overall size might compensate. I just thought I'd check and see if anyone might have some experience with it, or a similar model, and could provide some feedback.
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Brachus said:
    Quizzical said:
    I haven't really used a 21:9 monitor for anything before. I've been uncomfortable with any 16:9 monitor I've used for anything. I can't really say for sure why, I just don't like them. They don't feel right to me. Having never used a 21:9, I wasn't sure if I would have the same feeling or if the extra width and overall size might compensate. I just thought I'd check and see if anyone might have some experience with it, or a similar model, and could provide some feedback.
    16:9 is already wider than 16:10.

I think it's unlikely that your dislike of the wider alternative (16:9) could be compensated by purchasing an even wider alternative (21:9).

• rippirrippir Member UncommonPosts: 4
    @Brachus be aware of issues with 21:9 format. Many games have a fixed 'zoom' for competitive reasons
    (starcraft 2, LoL, dota, etc).
    I'm also eyeing a 21:9 monitor but after having a look at what happens to games that don't support the format... you either get stretching, or black bars (or your desktop on the sides)