Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Popular MMORPGs To Play While Waiting For The Next Best Thing?

FaunNoeFaunNoe Member UncommonPosts: 56
I've been sinking a lot of time in online fps games lately and starting to feel like sinking my time into an mmorpg again. What's worth throwing time in until an mmorpg that blows everyone's mind comes out? 

Comments

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    SWTOR, or maybe LOTRO if you haven't.  If you are looking for something more obscure, maybe give Fallen Earth a shot if you dont plan on sticking around.

I have tried many recently. . Star Trek online is better now then it was.  I don't know. . I'm as lost as you. . just wait a few weeks for Fallout 4 :)

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• ThourneThourne Member RarePosts: 757
    I've been trying to find a game to give even half a sh!t about myself for 2 months now.
    Must have tried going back to or downloading 9-10 mmos and just can't get into or back into any of them.

Add me to the list of people waiting for Fallout 4.
  • SlorgSlorg Member UncommonPosts: 37
    I've been playing rift and swtor as of late. Rift's past couple of updates have been impressive, the last one putting out a new calling. Tomorrow Knights of the Fallen Empire (New Swtor Expac) goes live, so i will be playing the hell out of that. 
  • evgen88evgen88 Member UncommonPosts: 120
    Might want to get more specific on what type of MMORPG you want to play.
  • sonicbrewsonicbrew Member UncommonPosts: 515
    Sadly there is no "best" thing. The days of killer MMO's are long past...

“Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.” ~ Italian proverb   

Thourne said:
    I've been trying to find a game to give even half a sh!t about myself for 2 months now.
    Must have tried going back to or downloading 9-10 mmos and just can't get into or back into any of them.

Add me to the list of people waiting for Fallout 4.
    Same issue here, except I'm not a Fallout person myself.  I'm hoping one or more of the upcoming MMOs will fill the void.
    I'm about 90% mmorpg player and 10% other. Sadly, the only mmorpgs I'm waiting for are 1+ years out.
    Hope something you are waiting for gets to you sooner mate.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904
    Landscape is really bad now. Not only is industry actively downsizing mmos the current ones all play exactly the same.

Personally i cant see any mmo's within the next 5 years that excite me.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    How about taking a total break from gaming.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

Nitth said:
    Landscape is really bad now. Not only is industry actively downsizing mmos the current ones all play exactly the same.

Personally i cant see any mmo's within the next 5 years that excite me.
    I backed Crowfall specifically because it's trying to be different.
    But yah so much of what is coming is "same old, same old".
  • FaunNoeFaunNoe Member UncommonPosts: 56
    edited October 2015
    Geez, for some reason after reading all these I imagined a clown showing up to a kid's birthday party...deciding not to do what he came to do and then removing all his makeup,changing his clothes, getting into his car and driving home to eat Ritz crackers and drink a carton of milk while staring at a stain on the ceiling. 
  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    After much trial, error and retrial, the wife and I are going to go all in on GW2 and see what it has to offer. 

Joined - July 2004

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    ESO OP especially if you like PvP.  I played a lot of planetside 2 before ESO.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • FaunNoeFaunNoe Member UncommonPosts: 56
    bcbully said:
    Sounds like ESO is a game I need to check out. 
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    hmm .. i don't "wait" for entertainment. 

There is just so much fun entertainment out there .. i enjoy whatever is available now. 
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    FaunNoe said:
    bcbully said:
    My likely next move. . and then GW2

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

Aethaeryn said:
    FaunNoe said:
    bcbully said:
    My likely next move. . and then GW2

Is ESO f2p yet?
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    ESO is one option, but that has focus split between PVP and PVE. If you're against such a concept you might not enjoy it.

Otherwise I'd wait for FO4 if you're someone looking for the next worthwhile time investment, it's not far off.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• josko9josko9 Member RarePosts: 577
    edited October 2015
    sonicbrew said:
    Sadly there is no "best" thing. The days of killer MMO's are long past...
    I'm thinking kinda opposite. I'd say the new generation of MMOs are better than ever.

We're finally getting fully voiced and meaningful quests.
    More than ever character customization options.
    More types of endgame.
    Great Action combat system.
    Dynamic events.
    More freedom and immersion / Less grind and forced 1- sided content.
    On top of that even the new innovative game systems, like mentoring, heavy phasing, ESO's Justice System etc..

I have no problems looking at the old MMOs and saying that they deserve all the praise, as without them we'd never get the MMOs we have today. However I'm also not blind, new generation of MMOs are better in pretty much every way by a thousandfold.

• ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    Nobody is expecting the next big thing. We all seem to wander from game to game. I notice as I get older I feel like NOT wasting my money anymore on games that really don't deserve it (99% of games). I do spend some money and I back one game financially, but most of the time I just save my money. The genre really sucks lately and there is no way around or under it.

• mark2123mark2123 Member UncommonPosts: 450
    Whilst the MMO forums still interest me, I'm not actually playing an MMO right now (unless you can call Destiny an MMO , which I'm not sure you can).  As a fan of the genre for years, I was wondering if I am burned out but actually, the more I think about it the more I think it's because they are all a bit samey now and when you've played one you've played them all, give or take the odd bit of differentiation.

I'm loving Destiny, and I have Fallout 4 and Star Wars Battlefront on order.  I jump in and out of the short-playspan games now where I can enjoy an hour or two and come back later.  I just don't see an MMO giving me the incentive to stick at it right now and I really hope something with some real originality is dreamed up soon, even if it takes 2-3 to come out.

WoW used to be my number 1 MMO but it went south and without a total overhaul, I mean almost a complete WoW2.0 type of overhaul, I'd never go back - so we need something as big but ground-breaking.

I sort of like the look of No Man's Sky, but a) it's PS4 only for now and I have an XBox One and b) needs more to it than a gazillion different planets procedurally generated as it could get samey - but they haven't given all the details away yet.  If it turned out to be that good, I'd buy a PS4 to go with my XBox, such is a need to fill a decent MMO gap.

What MMO companies probably need to realise is that there is a lot of us, right now, not really satisfied with any MMO in the way we used to be and there is a real opportunity to break the creativity and design mould and come up with something that could poach a lot of customers from a lot of games - but does any company have the skill and ingenuity to come up with something that the customers yearn for?  Let's be honest, there's enough commens flying around for the designers to have an idea of the sort of things people want, which is a long way from NPC with question marks on their heads.
  • KazuhiroKazuhiro Member UncommonPosts: 606
    edited October 2015
    waynejr2 said:
    Not bad advice. I've been trying to find something else to fill my free time that I'd enjoy, haven't found it yet. If I ever do, I'll finally give up mmos and maybe even gaming for good. Games in general have become a declining source of fun for me over the past five years. I'm ready and willing to put them behind me for good.

To find an intelligent person in a PUG is not that rare, but to find a PUG made up of "all" intelligent people is one of the rarest phenomenons in the known universe.

Kazuhiro said:
    waynejr2 said:
    Not bad advice. I've been trying to find something else to fill my free time that I'd enjoy, haven't found it yet. If I ever do, I'll finally give up mmos and maybe even gaming for good. Games in general have become a declining source of fun for me over the past five years. I'm ready and willing to put them behind me for good.
    There are plenty. Lots of good tv shows (Homeland, netflix originals, flash, arrow ...), novels (now that is very personal), anime, restaurant hopping, wine ....

I don't have enough free time for my many hobbies ... and even gaming .. i have so many games I meant to play in my steam library and i probably won't finish all of them in my life time. 
  • CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    edited October 2015
    Kazuhiro said:
    waynejr2 said:

...I don't have enough free time for my many hobbies ...
    You most certainly have more than enough time for your mmorpg.com hobby... :p

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

Cecropia said:
    Kazuhiro said:
    waynejr2 said:

...I don't have enough free time for my many hobbies ...
    You most certainly have more than enough time for your mmorpg.com hobby... :p
    yes .. because mmorpg.com is the LEAST time consuming one. Even if i have two minutes, i can make a few posts.

It is VERY convenient, absolutely zero commitment (if you notice i posted a lot less last week because i am on a business trip), and each session can be as little as 30 second. Not to mention instant gratification (if you say "f2p great" or "f2p sucks" here, either way ... response will be fast and furious). 

Hence, it is one of the better hobbies for me. 
  • TheeLordTheeLord Member UncommonPosts: 138
    Lord of the rings online +1

Founder and Lead developer of Factions. The complete fantasy sandbox survival MMO.
    Factions indiedb Page (most up to date info) | Factions Website