Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

lol Notch has an opinion on free to play games

2»

Comments

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

What really needs to stop about the F2P business is the RNG lottery crap. Because for some people that really is like crack. Plus, it offers very little value to any paying customer.

Giving good value to the ones paying for your game without falling into P2W territory is the big challenge for companies. But I do think it's very possible.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    Originally posted by Fdzzaigl

What really needs to stop about the F2P business is the RNG lottery crap. Because for some people that really is like crack. Plus, it offers very little value to any paying customer.

Giving good value to the ones paying for your game without falling into P2W territory is the big challenge for companies. But I do think it's very possible.

It's all game that need to stop with RNG lottery system, F2P, B2P, SUB, ect. need to stop the RNG on every part of there game just to keep people going and trying your luck with money or time.

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

Hmm...see a cool advertisement for a game, spend $60, try it, get disappointed, uninstall.

OR

See a cool advertisement for a game, spend nothing, try it, get disappointed, uninstall.  

One of these things cost me $60, the other cost me nothing.  And in Notch's mind, Free to Play games are suppose to be the bait and switch method...  

Somebody is a tad out of touch.

• ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    Originally posted by Deznts

F2P games are a serious issue for the health and well being of a huge amount of the population. Especially for people who are not typically game players and do not recognize the evolution of games to F2P or the addiction tactics they employ to get your money.

South Park broke it down to a psychological level in a such an elaborate and well thought out manner that I believe that episode should be required viewing for everyone. "Freemium isn't Free" Season 18 Episode 6.

Bottom line F2P is absolutely and undeniably pushed like a drug and to a significant amount of people they are addictive and life ruining, both financially and mentally. The tactics the publishers employ and the market research that goes in to these games is disgusting. They the game to everyone for free so that those few that are prone to addiction and impulsive excessive spending will have access to it. This takes it a step further than your local drug dealers are willing to go. Imagine them deciding they were going to give out free heroin to everyone, anyone who wanted it, knowing that some would get addicted and become recurring paying customers.

More light needs to be shone on this subject. The sooner the better. It is an epidemic and the CDC isn't even touching it. So who will? No regulation on an industry that pushes drugs in a form that the government agencies simply aren't used to regulating. Not to mention the complete lack of laws or legislature asking/forcing them to do so.

Very well said and great post. I actually wrote about this in college years ago. There is a high percentage of addictive personalities out there whom game. F2P games often suck them in and ruin their lives. Once again I applaud you for this post. Very few players here have your direct honesty. This could be the greatest post I read since I've been a member.

Cheers

• Gel214thGel214th Member UncommonPosts: 188
    Originally posted by greenreen

http://www.droidgamers.com/index.php/game-news/android-game-news/9386-notch-speaks-out-against-free-to-play-monetization-saying-it-should-be-illegal

They said it, they really said it. :8 O

Oooo this one is better.

https://twitter.com/notch/status/618908850100506624

Notch should have made his game and given it away for free. Then I'd pay attention to him on this issue. 

"Ruin their lives" oh what utter BS.

Find the study that backs this exaggerated claim, please. 

If one is arguing that addicted personalities will find something to be addicted to, then thank you Captain Obvious. 

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by greenreen

http://www.droidgamers.com/index.php/game-news/android-game-news/9386-notch-speaks-out-against-free-to-play-monetization-saying-it-should-be-illegal

They said it, they really said it. :8 O

Oooo this one is better.

https://twitter.com/notch/status/618908850100506624

Hmmmmmm, I'd venture to say that P2W mechanics are more rampant in Minecraft than any other game. He never clamped down on that, did he? Oh.... wait... that's because it was serving him well at the time and he can still disclaim any and all responsibility. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• TatsuyaHirokiTatsuyaHiroki Member UncommonPosts: 108
    CrazKanuk said:

Hmmmmmm, I'd venture to say that P2W mechanics are more rampant in Minecraft than any other game. He never clamped down on that, did he? Oh.... wait... that's because it was serving him well at the time and he can still disclaim any and all responsibility. 

please tell us which part of Minecraft has any p2w mechanics when the game itself is B2P, Im curious....

• BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959
    edited October 2015
     said:

F2P games are a serious issue for the health and well being of a huge amount of the population. Especially for people who are not typically game players and do not recognize the evolution of games to F2P or the addiction tactics they employ to get your money.

South Park broke it down to a psychological level in a such an elaborate and well thought out manner that I believe that episode should be required viewing for everyone. "Freemium isn't Free" Season 18 Episode 6.

Bottom line F2P is absolutely and undeniably pushed like a drug and to a significant amount of people they are addictive and life ruining, both financially and mentally. The tactics the publishers employ and the market research that goes in to these games is disgusting. They the game to everyone for free so that those few that are prone to addiction and impulsive excessive spending will have access to it. This takes it a step further than your local drug dealers are willing to go. Imagine them deciding they were going to give out free heroin to everyone, anyone who wanted it, knowing that some would get addicted and become recurring paying customers.

More light needs to be shone on this subject. The sooner the better. It is an epidemic and the CDC isn't even touching it. So who will? No regulation on an industry that pushes drugs in a form that the government agencies simply aren't used to regulating. Not to mention the complete lack of laws or legislature asking/forcing them to do so.

Good luck trying to convince alot of people here of that cause over 50% here are the pushers and will laugh at you cause they earn a living off of what you are speaking whether it be directly or with monetization and will defend it with everything they can as it's their lives blood, only difference is they don't have talent, just copy paste hacks the lot of them compared to old school development.

Whatever makes them money, they don't care, buyer beware, the market is a blood sucking leeches these days and it's truly widespread, the worst part is consumers buy the shit they sell and literally put themselves so deep in they cannot get out because of the addiction and allow themselves to be treated badly and buy into the hype they are shoveled.

There are still players but not many, so many have turned making money off gamers into a living and until us real gamers wake up and say no more and only support truly talent development and true games we will have to play their game, which is make money, not playing games.

Just remember, if you are being forced, hyped or treated like shit, leave. Period. Also, give them the middle finger when you leave, this will never change till consumers wake up and demand more so these destroyers of creativity go back to their day jobs at McDonalds.
  • nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862
    d_20 said:

Notch is entitled to express his opinion. He's accomplished a lot more in gaming than a lot of lesser wits around the internet who would crucify him for it and blow what he said out of proportion. 

Who?

And what exactly does it take to be "accomplished" in video games if you're not working for some successful game development studio, or even as have a smirk on my face as I write this, are a successful eSports player?  I've been playing video games for nearly 30 years yet all I feel like is it's a way to spend my free time.  No amount of opinions I spew about gaming make me feel "accomplished".
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    The govt won't get involved with regulation unless there's a big enough slice for them to take. 
    There isn't so they won't.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    kitarad said:
    The comparison to heroine is just for show. No one actually thinks that seriously. Stupid.
    I was thinking the same thing. The whole series of tweet seems like he's really going out on a limb to remain relevant or remembered. Think about it - the Minecraft players at the tail end of the current generation, the tweens and under, have no clue who Notch is, nor do they care. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Well not much said other than two guys disagreeing for obvious reasons.

There is no such thing as FREE never was and never will without some catch.

Unless a developer comes and advertises their game as free to play with restrictions and cash shop then they are flat out lying.I also agree that it should be illegal.
    The reason is simple,law is already in place that states that you cannot knowingly mislead your customer in any fashion and can be proven illegal without that person ever buying anything.The only stipulation is to prove intent to mislead.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• TatsuyaHirokiTatsuyaHiroki Member UncommonPosts: 108
    Wizardry said:

Unless a developer comes and advertises their game as free to play with restrictions and cash shop then they are flat out lying.I also agree that it should be illegal.
    The reason is simple,law is already in place that states that you cannot knowingly mislead your customer in any fashion and can be proven illegal without that person ever buying anything.The only stipulation is to prove intent to mislead.

idk about you but TF2 and Dota 2 seems to be almost entirely free, unless you consider cosmetics and other optional purchases a "catch"

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    CrazKanuk said:

please tell us which part of Minecraft has any p2w mechanics when the game itself is B2P, Im curious....

Minecraft, as a single-player game, doesn't have these elements. However, since it's expandable, and there are private servers, these people running private servers are able to create their own pay walls. Minecraft servers have plenty of P2W mechanics, right down to buying the best gear available on that server. Now, Notch isn't directly responsible for it, though, so I suppose that's OK. Just saying, he never did anything to prevent these practices in his own game, probably because it would be to the detriment of his game. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• TheutusTheutus Member UncommonPosts: 636
    CrazKanuk said:o

Your necromantic powers are a sight to behold! 
  • DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216
    Wizardry said:

Well in that case "play" would need a legal definition of what % of content it would make up.

But no, there is no such thing as truly free.  In many cases, the temptation of the cash shop items is the price paid for entry.  Some can handle the temptation, some cant.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Fdzzaigl said:

how about getting the government to make welfare mmorpgs?

Look, it is a business.  You can choose to buy RNG lottery crap or not to.  To blame it on addiction is a cop out.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• user547user547 Member UncommonPosts: 150
    edited October 2015
    Isn't most money making based on exploitation.

It's true there is a lot of exploitation, but it's not supposed to be the norm. It's not something to simply be accepted without comment.

A proper economic transaction occurs when two parties agree without coercion to exchange items, labor, whatever. Both parties come out ahead by the way each person measures it. Too many people have been taught that it is a de facto state of exploitation when people do this.

When someone lacks capacity to make a rational decision, the "free will" argument of business transactions falls apart. You go from free exchange to a situation of coercion/exploitation in some form. This is why children are not allowed to enter into contracts.

The answer is not to try to get more laws passed specific to the gaming business, because there are plenty of laws already on the books that apply. The answer, as always, is to inform the public, because in the majority of cases where regulatory coercion is absent this is enough to create public resistance to the subject and the people who want money will conform to the new ideal. This is where media traditionally comes in.

This is a great opportunity for someone who aspires to be a journalist to do some investigative reporting. Make the phone calls, get people's names on record. Put their words out for all to see and judge for themselves. Do a full expose, or even a series examining many aspects of the phenomenon you are bringing to light. This is traditional journalism. And if you are professional about it, which is to say you take the time to learn the form and practice of the news media profession, you may have a very nice resume item. Or even start your own business with your newfound reputation and moral authority.