Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Single Player Campaign Thoughts

Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
I didn't really love my first day of playing the single player campaign but after awhile it started to grow on me and now I am enjoying the story.

This issues:
  • AI is pretty horrible and your NPC party members do some pretty dumb things like run into walls or path a really long way around and agro mobs.
  • Not everyone who plays the game is also a PnP player.  Some sort of quick start guide, or heaven forbid an actual manual (remember NWN?) would have been good.
  • Graphics are.... ehhh... even on highest settings.
  • Pace of combat is much too fast for my taste.  if only controlling one character it would be OK, but trying to control all 4 is almost impossible.  I generally just leave them to do whatever silly thing the AI has them do
  • Death has NO sting.  I have "stabilized" the same party member 6+ times in the same fight.  
  • No bank or storage that I have found.  I have to carry all the cool items around just in case I might want them later...
  • Encumbrance...  my last adventure I left at 180/310 (ish) encumbrance. Was overfull a few minutes in, and spent the next 90 minutes walking at half speed before finally getting to a vendor with 712/310 encumbrance.  Why is there only 1 shared encumbrance and inventory for the whole party?  Why do the NPCs not have their own encumbrance and inventory so we can move items around? I mean, even temporary NPC types like animals that join you are "encumbered" because your backpack is full?  WTF!
  • Camera lacks the ability to lock in place behind you.. so it's a constant: Click, rotate camera, click rotate camera...
  • At the start, items are by default put on your hotbars.  The wonderful AI will burn through every potion and scroll in no time.  This is a toggle that thankfully someone told me you can change in settings.
  • Since the developers did not know which characters (NPCS) you would have in your party they made a stilly "gem" system where they hear everything happening and join discussions with the group and other NPCs you encounter by talking through the "gem".
  • No loot distribution in multiplayer
  • No real description of the items you can have reformed other than: I can make you a bow... or a staff..  for X gold.  No shit Sherlock, you mean you can take the two pieces of this shield and make me a... SHIELD?

Good points:
  • The story has been entertaining so far
  • The single player campaign seems to be a decent length
  • There are a variety of side quests
  • You can discover pieces of items and have a blacksmith reforge them (but see above)
  • Puzzles are cool. Have been able to figure them all out on my own so far
  • Many, MANY more tools were used to flesh out the single player than are currently available in the make your own adventure part.  This certainly added to the storytelling.

Overall I am enjoying the game, despite the flaws mentioned.  It's just too bad that they only got 3/4 the way to GREAT, because the pieces are here to make a truly GREAT game if they can work on the bugs, fix the design issues (camera...) and really give players a more full tool set to craft their own campaigns because that is really what will set this game apart.  Single player game will be over in a few days... the DM mode is what will eventually note this game as a classic or just relegate it to the pile of OK games.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Comments

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    What class did you play?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• TheutusTheutus Member UncommonPosts: 636
    I'm glad I finally got my return on steam. This game is OK as an arpg, not really a dnd game. The dungeon master tools are a joke. The multiplayer system is clunky and riddled with bugs. Camera controls are annoying. Etc...
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    YashaX said:
    What class did you play?
    Ranger

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018