Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should blockades be considered pvp?

Comments

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    This is seriously still being allowed to happen? I saw this on the main page and figured it would be a necro thread. And they still wonder why this game fell flat on its face.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395

Emergent gameplay my ass!   This problem has been around since UO.  While I value collision detection, if it has been implemented in game, the developers should absolutely understand the issues surrounding it, and have a solution in place.  

Otherwise, people quit the game -- or never start.  Neither of which is good on the bottom line.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    edited October 2015

I am proud to say that Trion has officially made blockades illegal gameplay.

http://forums.archeagegame.com/showthread.php?242329-Cart-blocking-bannable-Cant-pvp-in-housing-zones.-What-is-next&p=2058247&posted=1#post2058247

I fear the damage has already been done since it took them almost a year to deal with it.

Are you onto something or just on something?
  • DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692
    Honestly they should look at implementing a "push through" feature to bypass friendly vehicles and stuff. Ryzom did it where you butt up against a target temporarily and then if you continue to press movement it would then let you phase through the target so that groups of people could remain navigable.

Same concept could be applied there and then that form of PvP/griefing wouldn't be a concern.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134
    Such p'tahk have no honor, and they will never find a place in Stovokor...

most of us wont..but they will be further from it, than anybody else

this was one of the most hyped sandbox titles , how could they bork it up so much?

yeah, sounds like poorly implemented collision. like in Ultima where people would wall-in other peoples house entrance.

and, to answer the pool: it IS pvp, just one-sided. obviously, not much fun.

one sided PVP? that would be PVnothing

i guess those nothings took a big chunk of trions income with them, when they left the game

apparantly , it took them a year to realize this

• HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    simplius said:
    yeah, sounds like poorly implemented collision. like in Ultima where people would wall-in other peoples house entrance.

i guess those nothings took a big chunk of trions income with them, when they left the game

But even then the players griefing aren't pvping, they're putting up blockades then afking. There's no pvp occurring at any point.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    edited October 2015
    This type of behaviour in a PvE zone is what led to the disappearance of player-to-player CD long ago. 

Also, it's hard to call this PVP. If it was in a PVP zone or if it served a purpose other than to annoy caravans, I'd call it PVP. This seems like griefing and little else. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• farbegefarbege Member UncommonPosts: 305
    edited October 2015
    Herase said:
    simplius said:

But even then the players griefing aren't pvping, they're putting up blockades then afking. There's no pvp occurring at any point.

Where did any PvP occur during the blockade of Cuba 1963 ?  xD

Blockade is targeted at economy  it doesn't have to lead to combat and actual military fights.

Its a offensive economic warfare strategy.

Loktofeit said:
    This type of behaviour in a PvE zone is what led to the disappearance of player-to-player CD long ago. 

Also, it's hard to call this PVP. If it was in a PVP zone or if it served a purpose other than to annoy caravans, I'd call it PVP. This seems like griefing and little else. 

Its not a PvE zone it is a faction controlled zone, Nuian in case of west zones . This is an important difference.

If the faction is divided and guilds within oppose each other (which happens alot xD)  then they like to carry their conflict everywhere.

The Dominion wars introduced with 2.0 supports absolutely the importance of this difference as the rightfull one.
    farbege said:
    Loktofeit said:

Its not a PvE zone it is a faction controlled zone, Nuian in case of west zones . This is an important difference.

If the faction is divided and guilds within oppose each other (which happens alot xD)  then they like to carry their conflict everywhere.

The Dominion wars introduced with 2.0 supports absolutely the importance of this difference as the rightfull one.
    Ok, maybe the game has changed since I last played, but I distinctly remember zones where you could not attack your own faction. If that's no longer the case then that's an interesting change. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

farbege said:
    Herase said:
    simplius said:

Blockade is targeted at economy  it doesn't have to lead to combat and actual military fights.

That has to be the most horrible logic I ever heard of.  Try standing at the doorway to mcdonalds and holding your  arms out trying to peacefully keep people from entering or exiting.  See how long it takes for someone to remove you violently.  Not to mention that these people are doing this to their own nation and not being flagged as criminals for such activity.  After someone wups your ass at mcdonalds you will then go to jail and be called a criminal according to our nation.  The pve blockades in archeage are a joke.
    Herase said:
    simplius said:

if the economy was player driven like EVEs there could be some meta PVP aspects

but it isnt, so its just griefing

the devs have finally realized this too, prolly with some motivation from the suits

when the cash flow dries up, they will act, because they HAVE to

farbege said:
    Herase said:
    simplius said:

Cuba blockade took us to the brink of WW3, the only reason it didnt happen, was because

MOST PEOPLE DIDNT WANT A NUCLEAR WAR

furthermore, that was a state blockade..not a bunch of griefers VS the rest of the world

by your definition, i can block the street to your house, and you cant do a damn thing

about it

edited October 2015

simplius said:
    farbege said:
    Herase said:
    simplius said:

Cuba blockade took us to the brink of WW3, the only reason it didnt happen, was because

furthermore, that was a state blockade..not a bunch of griefers VS the rest of the world

by your definition, i can block the street to your house, and you cant do a damn thing

about it

i admit i was the one bringing in real world reference which can be difficult.

But even if my example wasn't good the point is.

There is no "PvE zone" per se in Archeage at least not anymore.

Trion bought in bridges for alternative routes and introduced wars within faction controlled areas.

Thats a very good solution to this situation.

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    PVP implies a fight between two players.  Cart blocking in a peace zone is not PVP because the person being blocked is not allowed to attack you.  Stopping another person from enjoying the game and giving him no way to defend himself is griefing, not pvp.

If you cart block in a PVP zone then yes it is pvp because the guy on the cart has the option to whip your butt.  In peace zones there is no option to do anything
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910
    Dominion is a solid option, but then again most of those cowards are in level 1 or 2 guilds that cannot be forced to a dominion.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    farbege said:
    Herase said:
    simplius said:

While I completely agree with you, the issue here is that it's in a pve zone and forces a "pvp" situation (if I can remember from the start of the thread).

The issue here is that players who are "pve" players are not interested in pvp situations and would prefer a "pve" solution. At least during those times the zone is in "pve" mode.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    farbege said:

simplius said:
    farbege said:
    Herase said:
    simplius said:

about it

i admit i was the one bringing in real world reference which can be difficult.

But even if my example wasn't good the point is.

Trion bought in bridges for alternative routes and introduced wars within faction controlled areas.

Thats a very good solution to this situation.

AFAIK, they have "safe zones"..which Arent really safe

so, why not call them something else?

trion are all over the place with their rules, and when  they chose to enforce them

i have never seen so much flip-flopping by any devs

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    edited October 2015
    There ARE pve zones for those people or guilds that don't get their guild over 3.

Blocking people from doing trade runs while they being unable to strike back is NOT pvp. It's simply going around the game's rules and that is why trion now can ban you for doing it.

That is like saying after a zone that was in war, goes to peace (You can't attack even other faction), you can block people from doing trade runs in the zone because it's "pvp" eventough you gain nothing but wasting people's time from it.

I normally don't spend much time on Archeage forums because the people who stayed are the ones who actually like how it is being ran.  But every once in a while I stop by to see whats happening and posted this.  It will be funny to see how the players respond.

http://forums.archeagegame.com/showthread.php?243304-What-the-players-you-lost-think-about-blockades.&p=2065802#post2065802

The reason I care is because there was such high hopes for this game and yes it could have easily been one of the best mmorpg's.

edited October 2015
    farbege said:

According to this post from a week ago there is: 
    http://forums.archeagegame.com/showthread.php?240274-TRION-Blocking-entrances-in-PVE-zones 

So is the situation here that they don't know what they are talking about or, more likely, you are hoping that we don't know?

• KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185
    Technically it's probably pvp considering it's a player doing something against another player, but this is pure griefing as it has 0 consequences to the person doing it and there's nothing you can do about it. If they want to consider it viable pvp, then they need to implement a counter measure. Until then, they're just acting like little kids wanting to be bullies. Childish.
  • KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185
    filmoret said:

http://forums.archeagegame.com/showthread.php?242329-Cart-blocking-bannable-Cant-pvp-in-housing-zones.-What-is-next&p=2058247&posted=1#post2058247

I fear the damage has already been done since it took them almost a year to deal with it.

Making it bannable was a bad move IMO, they should have implemented a counter measure. Sandbox should be sandbox. If they find something like this where it's impossible (or near impossible) to either defend yourself or fight back, then they need to create new things to allow for it and not remove sand.
    Kilrain said:
    filmoret said:

Making it bannable was a bad move IMO, they should have implemented a counter measure. Sandbox should be sandbox. If they find something like this where it's impossible (or near impossible) to either defend yourself or fight back, then they need to create new things to allow for it and not remove sand.
    I agree, but that's far easier said than done in a PvE zone as any remedy is almost certainly going to do one of two things - provide an exploit for traders or provide a loophole for attacking in a PvE zone.