Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why are Video Game Forums so negative.

Comments

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Sick gaming society

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723

Generation of entitlement.

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Depends on what you count as negative. Just because a comment picks an issue doesn't mean its bad to talk about it, could just mean that its an issue that needs to be addressed. There are several individuals on here who have played MMOs for 10+ years, so I'm sure they have noticed that games may not feel the same as they used to. Now some can accept that concept and probably believe that they are just outgrowing certain games due to life or whatever, but there are those that want to acknowledge the changes and do not necessarily see them as positive. Honestly, no matter how many numbers you pull up in regards to gaming, there's no expert because its purely subjective, no matter the issue. What I view as good will always be different from someone else. Reviewers are the same way. Just because a game may be repetitive for them, maybe be different for the consumer because its what the individual is used to. So there's no expert in gaming. The main point of any commentary should just be to raise awareness of what's going on. Some people may agree, some may not, but its always good to have the information and allow people to make decisions in regards of what they feel is most enjoyable in regards to gaming. 
  • NukeGamerNukeGamer Member, AMA Guest UncommonPosts: 309
    edited October 2015
    Gormogon said:
    Why are many gamers so desperate for validation that they are emotionally impacted by any negativity directed toward their game(s) or developer(s) of choice?  Forums like this one don't exist to make gamers feel good about being a fan of this or that game.  [mod edit]
    Yeah posting facts about a video game I play to correct those who are just there to bash a game they don't play isn't being negative it's posting facts...better luck next time. 

[mod edit]
    Post edited by Amana on
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    There isn't a perfect game out there that isn't in line for some degree of criticism, some games are just so terrible that its hard to actually be positive about them, and there are games that some people seem to be so personally invested in, that any slight or criticism is treated as though it was a personal attack on them, and are totally incapable of dealing with opinions that aren't in line with their own.

This is a forum where games are discussed, the Good, the Bad, and the plain Ugly.

The only problem really is when people approach these forums that are unable to accept that their own point of view is not the only one that is valid. Its by discussing them, in forums like these, that some degree of understanding of other peoples opinions can be made.
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    edited October 2015

• MKerogazovMKerogazov Member, AMA Guest UncommonPosts: 12
    Well, the poster above pretty much sums it up - except for a "Normal" person, who can be in reality not so normal and as a result even a worse dick-wad at the end :D
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Well, the poster above pretty much sums it up - except for a "Normal" person, who can be in reality not so normal and as a result even a worse dick-wad at the end :D
    Well think of it as a modern form of "role-playing", IRL they are all probably nice, "normal" people that you associate with on a regular basis.

Then comes the dark side.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    I think venting about something as silly as video games actually helps people be more possitive about things in live that actually matter. Part of me is always glad when I realize some hyped up game is terrible, because I can both trash it and save money at the same time  =)
  • AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940
    Not sure if video games are actually a special case. I mean, we often hear about stars shutting down their Twitter, i see people disabling comments on DeviantArt or YouTube because all they got was hate. Heck, the Wikipedia article about "Flaming" talks about the ratification of the United States Constitution, because people attacked each other via newspaper, essentially calling each other idiots.

...with Emerson describing her as "without genius, wit, or knowledge of the world." In turn, Thomas Carlyle called Emerson a “hoary-headed toothless baboon"

Besides the actual wording (no one would say "without knowledge of the world" here on MMORPG i guess), does that sound like civilized people? I guess we are in good company.

Further "evidence", same Wikipedia article:

Jerry Pournlee in 1986 explained why he wanted a killfile for BIX

BIX stands for BYTE Information eXchange, which was basically a social media site. That is more than a decade before Ultima Online or Everquest.

This says nothing about the reasons why people really attack each other, and whether thats harmful and to what degree etc., but it explains why it happens on video game forums: Because it happens everywhere.

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    People who are happy playing simply wont visit gaming forums.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    People who are happy playing simply wont visit gaming forums.
    People who use forums like these, are probably the random 1%. We have our own views, but we are not exactly representative of the overall MMO playerbase.
  • ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    Folks who have a high level of education and can not find employment living in mom and dads basement have no self respect and only internet lives.
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415
    Are you sure it's only game forums? I think it's just Gabriel's Greater Internet F**kwad Theory in action, because it happens everywhere.
  • MKerogazovMKerogazov Member, AMA Guest UncommonPosts: 12
    Of course it's not not only people leaving with mums and dads in their basement. Well respected businessmen and other professionals are known for doing totally stupid and hateful things in virtual realities. Probably one of the main factors is the impunity that the Internet provides ;)
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    I think it is just a part of 'online culture'  Many people don't seem to have the same filters they do in real life. They can say almost anything and not be held accountable.  

I self identify as a monkey.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    It goes beyond just video game forums. It is modern day internet culture. 

You must choose to be friendly and constructive. These are tools not nurtured within the current culture and young people now have few references outside of it to compare against.

The individual has to make the choice and it is very obvious many do not have the self control to do so.

You stay sassy!

• jc234jc234 Member UncommonPosts: 91
    edited October 2015
    The last thing you would do is sit across a screen or wall and proceed to complain about your life, to yourself.
  • FaunNoeFaunNoe Member UncommonPosts: 56
    Video game forums are so negative because those of us who bring actual useful thoughts and ideas to discussions allow those that shall not be named to have power. If we simply ignored them and did not comment on their thread or their post they would either eventually change for the better and join us or slowly fade away. No need to add fuel to the flames. 

Now we can do this the easy way, or we can do it the hard way.
     The choice is yours. 
  • ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    edited October 2015
    Gormogon said:
    Why are many gamers so desperate for validation that they are emotionally impacted by any negativity directed toward their game(s) or developer(s) of choice?  Forums like this one don't exist to make gamers feel good about being a fan of this or that game.  [mod edit]
    This is the crux of it. As soon as someone gets butthurt that you don't like their game the discussion and analysis is over. If you express your dislike of something in anything other than the most mild and filtered language, you are now trolling. 

The polite agreeable opinion is valued above the disagreeable opinion no matter how earnest. 
    MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
  • moonboundmoonbound Member UncommonPosts: 396
    Its because these days people cannot handle others opinions, and many people who grew up on wow learned major anti social disorders and simply cannot behave with other people.

But on your whales comment, there are starving kids in the world and when someone spends that kind of money on a single game yea I think its justified to recieve backlash.
  • moonboundmoonbound Member UncommonPosts: 396
    zuzia123 said:
    people are just bad.
    Ignorant, narrow minded and selfish, although if they opened there minds more they may not feel like being as selfish in the first place.
  • Elevenb4Elevenb4 Member UncommonPosts: 362
    People that complain are always louder and more vocal in multiple venues than people that are content. 

-Unconstitutional laws aren't laws.-

• MrSnufflesMrSnuffles Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    Because we get enough positive hype from the advertisements. The universe is just trying to achieve balance.
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"It's pretty simple, really. If your only intention in posting about a particular game or topic is to be negative, then yes, you should probably move on. Voicing a negative opinion is fine, continually doing so on the same game is basically just trolling."
    - Michael Bitton
    Community Manager, MMORPG.com

"As an online discussion about Star Citizen grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Derek Smart approaches 1" - MrSnuffles's law

"I am jumping in here a bit without knowing exactly what you all or talking about." 
    - SEANMCAD

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    FaunNoe said:
    Video game forums are so negative because those of us who bring actual useful thoughts and ideas to discussions allow those that shall not be named to have power. If we simply ignored them and did not comment on their thread or their post they would either eventually change for the better and join us or slowly fade away. No need to add fuel to the flames. 

Now we can do this the easy way, or we can do it the hard way.
     The choice is yours. 
    Quoting this as the forums will not let me tag it with Agree and Awesome at the same time. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre