Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pledge, Subscription and Forum Announcement!

Comments

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    Actually I'm a bit confused about the pledges.

I'm not really interested in all the pledges above the minimal one for 100$. Why for example would I need my name in the probably now sheer endless list of credits ? Or somewhere in the game itself ? This would rather embarass me, to be honest.

Things I would personally be interested in, well theres stuff thats already in the 100$ pledge thats cool:

- Two digital access keys
    - Alpha access
    - Beta access
    - Early name reservation (though frankly I would be surprised if anyone else would have the same character names)

All thats included in the 100$ pledge. Other than that:

- One physical copy of game, especially a collectors edition
    - Crafting buff items (like Silius Bag in Vanguard, or the guild buff item for crafting) - apparently none are planned so far lolz
    - Lifetime subscription - now that would be cool - but 10k is waay too steep haha

Well, maybe they havent decided enough about crafting yet to descide about crafting buff items ? Either way Silius Bag was so useful, in Vanguard I would have loved to get 6 of them (I got 2 because you could get a second one in the late game, I dont remember how exactly, but my two outfitters each got one since they faced the biggest challenges with bags and saddlebags).

So, continuing to block the forums behind a paywall.
    Actually this is a somewhat misleading way to state reality. Everyone can read the official forum, there is nothing blocking anyone. Only posting there is blocked.

I'm by the way really impressed - the official forum contains nothing but constructive postings ! WHOW. Never seen that in any forum before. Such a paywall seems to be actually quite useful.

goboygo said:
    If its half as good as Vangaurd I will be happy to sub.  It would still be twice as good as anything else around today.
    Obviously the dev team is a lot smaller than for EverQuest and Vanguard, as is the funding.

So at release, there will be a smaller game world. The gameworld wont be seamless like Vanguard. There will be less races and probably also less classes. There will be no diplomacy yet, and crafting will be there, but might be rather simple.

But in spirit it will be the successor of EverQuest and Vanguard, and of course in some ways it will be 110% EQ and VG, because they of course want to go beyond these games and improve even further.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Apparently, it is forbidden to discuss the "mis-handling" of previously donated funds to Pantheon, despite the fact that they are now asking for/taking donated funds again.

As this is a legitimate subject considering they are now taking donations again, why is that?
  • SinistSinist Member RarePosts: 1,369
    edited October 2015
    [mod edit]
    He provided no evidence. The link was a blog post with the blogger claiming they knew inside sources and laying accusations with a bunch of anonymous comments claiming it was all true. That isn't evidence, that is typical internet gossip.

Brad has already dealt with this multiple times in posts and in interviews. People can accept it or not, but it is a done deal. [mod edit]

Post edited by Amana on
  • AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912
    Burntvet said:
    Apparently, it is forbidden to discuss the "mis-handling" of previously donated funds to Pantheon, despite the fact that they are now asking for/taking donated funds again.

As this is a legitimate subject considering they are now taking donations again, why is that?
    The forum is not the place to handle this, but according to the logs, you flamed backers in your post. Remember that the way you discuss something is important.

I've removed several posts that were otherwise off topic. 

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

edited October 2015
    Amana said:
    Burntvet said:

The forum is not the place to handle this, but according to the logs, you flamed backers in your post. Remember that the way you discuss something is important.

Fine.

People should know before donating any money to the development of this game, that previously, the CEO of VR at the time, who is still in an executive position with the company, Brad McQuaid, pocketed $45k in donated development funds for personal use, allegedly before some other investor money came in.

As such, I and many others will only financially support this game after it is released, owing to this previous mismanagement of donated funds.

Other people would be wise to do the same.

There... not flaming any one. :P
    Burntvet said:
    Amana said:
    Burntvet said:

Fine.

People should know before donating any money to the development of this game, that previously, the CEO of VR at the time, who is still in an executive position with the company, Brad McQuaid, pocketed $45k in donated development funds for personal use, allegedly before some other investor money came in.

As such, I and many others will only financially support this game after it is released, owing to this previous mismanagement of donated funds.

So you are informing people of allegations made, but provide no means to verify said allegations.

I think we call that... spreading gossip. /shrug
  • BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939
    Sinist said:
    Burntvet said:
    Amana said:
    Burntvet said:

Fine.

So you are informing people of allegations made, but provide no means to verify said allegations.

I thought it was true and published? Not going to go try and dig it up but that is how I remember it. I could be wrong!

Personally I won't support the game because of what happened with Vanguard. 
    I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

Brenics said:

I thought it was true and published? Not going to go try and dig it up but that is how I remember it. I could be wrong!

Find out for sure, know for sure. That would be best don't you think? If it was published as you describe it, then it should be easy to find right? This is the problem with gossip.

As for not supporting, fine... don't. By the way, I am not spending any money on it, but I don't ride people who do. I hope, and I sit in the back, wait and watch. Others pony up their money, more power to them and if it weren't for them taking the risks, we would be stuck with mainstream garbage in everything from appliances to video games.

There are games I dislike, and developers I despise. I however don't frequent their forums, or make an effort to let them know how much I dislike their game. I don't care, so I am not there, it isn't even a thought in my mind.

So again, why bother posting in a forum of a game you do not support or like? I mean, I am wracking by brain here and I got nothing, nada, zilch.
    Brenics said:
    Sinist said:
    Burntvet said:
    Amana said:
    Burntvet said:

Fine.

Yes, it is accepted as fact, and McQuaid and his supporters want people to forget it ever happened and to keep that "free money" coming.

For your consideration:

http://segmentnext.com/2014/05/05/pantheon-rise-of-the-fallen-dev-accused-taking-crowd-funds-personal-use/

http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/412151/brad-mcquaid-looted-45k-of-the-crowdfunding/p2

and most importantly....

http://www.ktamradio.com/

Listen to some of the old interviews on the bottom right.  I heard from at least 5 devs that Brad did something with the money. You can hear Silius, Vu, Mac, Vhalen, (all Pantheon devs) confirm all of this.

There is all the proof you want. Mcquaid also apologized for it as well, at some point, although I do not have the link for it offhand.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Brenics said:

Published and true are two different things. Just saying...

As far as Vanguard goes, it was an ambitious product, had they had a fully committed publisher things may have been different. No one wanted to give it the time it needed to be what it could have been. It certainly wasn't Brad and crew who were at fault for that. Though they'll take the blame anyway. And even own it.

I'm a gamer, not a suit or bean counter for one of these mega-publishers. I don't care what it cost them TBH, I don't care their priority is in the money, it's this mentality that drives rushed games, shallow games, and corner cutting. I want a quality game, that's all that matters to me. If most devs had their way that's what we would get, that's the sad truth here. We'd just have to be patient enough to wait for it.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    That's what I'm doing, wait and see.  Then if the game looks good and plays well after it's out I may gladly put some money into it. 

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912
    I've reopened the thread. There have been other threads on the funding issue and allegations, and in here, it's a discussion that's effectively hijacking the thread. So let's stay on the actual topic from here.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Amana said:
    I've reopened the thread. There have been other threads on the funding issue and allegations, and in here, it's a discussion that's effectively hijacking the thread. So let's stay on the actual topic from here.
    If the OP is:
    Pledge money now!

And the answer to that is:
    Brad admitted having taken 45k of the previous donations to cover his "medical bills"

Then clearly we are on the topic.
    It's all about the "donations" and how the money will be used.
    Harbinger of Fools
  • WizbuizWizbuiz Member UncommonPosts: 215
    "Will pledge" once some real videos gets released, and it actually looks promising, right now it looks promising on the papers, now i just need the videos to back it up.
  • ChangeAtOnceChangeAtOnce Member CommonPosts: 4
    edited November 2015

i messed up my post, so reposted below.

Post edited by ChangeAtOnce on
  • AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    Brenics said:
    goboygo said:
    Brenics said:
    I could never give any money upfront to Brad. Way too worried this game will just be another Vanguard. The guy made one great game EQ back in 1999, just think his days of MMO's are over. Need to let new blood into the game, these old guys need to move on.

Sorry just the way I feel.

If its half as good as Vangaurd I will be happy to sub.  It would still be twice as good as anything else around today.
    Half as good means it will end up right where Vanguard is today. 
    My real fear is that it won't be as good as Vanguard. I mean, what should we seriously expect? Do we expect a newer game with less funding and fewer people working on it to be better? Not that either of those should dictate quality but i have my doubts. I'm hoping it will be better but i'm trying to be realistic.
    just curious
    Cant create threads and didnt get anywhere with VIR support. Since this thread is about subscribing...

Anyone deal with cancelling their subscription on the Pantheon website?
    I cancelled my sub and then a month later i got charged.
    I created a support case and got some generic garbage about how i need to cancel my sub from PayPal.

I responded back and said i didnt setup a paypal sub, i clicked subscribe on their website (www.pantheonrotf.com) and entered my credit card info. Later on i cancelled my account on their website and i lost all the privileges associated with a subscription. But they are still charging me.

I have waited a week for a response but nothing.
    They're basically telling me to go talk to their bank to stop them from billing me? I basically have to call my credit card company and report their company for fraud to stop the charge... i mean seriously... 

They are trying to say in the normal world when i go pay for a sub to netflix and cancel .. then i need to go call netflix's bank and have them cancel the charge to my account...

so buyer beware....

Dear ,
    Hi me,
    To cancel your subscription/payment plans properly, you need to cancel it via your chosen payment method provider either via your credit card company or by stopping the PayPal subscription to, just cancelling it on our website stops us from billing you but if you have already set up a reoccurring payment schedule with your credit card company or PayPal they will continue to bill you and pay the subscription on your behalf, that is something that we have no control over.
    We do not refund subscriptions either, as they are on a per month basis and can be stopped at any time by the customer but once paid, they provide you with a months access whether you use it or not.
    If you stopped a subscription, then the forum access will stop with it, and if you stopped a payment plan for a pledge without actually finishing the purchase, access will also stop as the normal or unlimited forum access is part of the full purchase.
    I hope this helps you understand the process better Armin and if you have any further issues, please don't hesitate to create a new support ticket.
    I would advise that you stop the payments with your financial provider as soon as possible, so they do not charge you again.
    Kind Regards
    them
    Sincerely,
    Visionary Realms, Inc

Dear <me>,

<them> just logged a message to a ticket in which you participate.

HI <me>,

When you set up a subscription to anything on a website, like for a game, a magazine etc. it automatically creates a payment plan with your credit card company or PayPal, so once you cancel it on our site, the credit card company or PayPal need to cancel the subscription too or it will continue to charge you, this especially happens with PayPal a lot.

It is always best to make sure once you cancel a subscription or reoccurring purchase with a website, that you also check to make sure it is cancelled with the financial provider that you used to make the transaction.

I am sorry for any inconvenience.

Kind Regards

<them>

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    I have cancelled dozens and dozens of subscriptions... never once had to contact my credit card company to do so. 

Sounds very fishy to me.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• ZarriyaZarriya Member UncommonPosts: 446
    edited November 2015
    just curious
    Cant create threads and didnt get anywhere with VIR support. Since this thread is about subscribing...

Anyone deal with cancelling their subscription on the Pantheon website?
    I cancelled my sub and then a month later i got charged.
    I created a support case and got some generic garbage about how i need to cancel my sub from PayPal.

I responded back and said i didnt setup a paypal sub, i clicked subscribe on their website (www.pantheonrotf.com) and entered my credit card info. Later on i cancelled my account on their website and i lost all the privileges associated with a subscription. But they are still charging me.

I have waited a week for a response but nothing.
    They're basically telling me to go talk to their bank to stop them from billing me? I basically have to call my credit card company and report their company for fraud to stop the charge... i mean seriously... 

They are trying to say in the normal world when i go pay for a sub to netflix and cancel .. then i need to go call netflix's bank and have them cancel the charge to my account...

so buyer beware....

Dear ,
    Hi me,
    To cancel your subscription/payment plans properly, you need to cancel it via your chosen payment method provider either via your credit card company or by stopping the PayPal subscription to, just cancelling it on our website stops us from billing you but if you have already set up a reoccurring payment schedule with your credit card company or PayPal they will continue to bill you and pay the subscription on your behalf, that is something that we have no control over.
    We do not refund subscriptions either, as they are on a per month basis and can be stopped at any time by the customer but once paid, they provide you with a months access whether you use it or not.
    If you stopped a subscription, then the forum access will stop with it, and if you stopped a payment plan for a pledge without actually finishing the purchase, access will also stop as the normal or unlimited forum access is part of the full purchase.
    I hope this helps you understand the process better Armin and if you have any further issues, please don't hesitate to create a new support ticket.
    I would advise that you stop the payments with your financial provider as soon as possible, so they do not charge you again.
    Kind Regards
    them
    Sincerely,
    Visionary Realms, Inc

Dear <me>,

<them> just logged a message to a ticket in which you participate.

HI <me>,

When you set up a subscription to anything on a website, like for a game, a magazine etc. it automatically creates a payment plan with your credit card company or PayPal, so once you cancel it on our site, the credit card company or PayPal need to cancel the subscription too or it will continue to charge you, this especially happens with PayPal a lot.

It is always best to make sure once you cancel a subscription or reoccurring purchase with a website, that you also check to make sure it is cancelled with the financial provider that you used to make the transaction.

I am sorry for any inconvenience.

Kind Regards

<them>

Hiya Change,

About a year ago I had to stop payments through paypal as well. I agree that it should be done through VRI. I agree with you that I never had to do it this way either (with any other company)and I hope they change it too. I am a supporter of VRI and am looking forward to this game, but yes this area needs to improve. Last year I cut them some slack they were just forming as a company. At this point however, I feel that they should have a better grip on canceling subs. They are not doing anything shady however, they have been in prompt contact with you.  You just have to cancel a different way. So I say, just understand that they are a start-up company and just cancel through paypal. They have been constantly improving their services over time and I am sure this area will improve as well.

I do wonder why you subscribed and then immediately unsubscribed? Your account here is only a day old here too.....
  • AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    Alders said:
    My real fear is that it won't be as good as Vanguard.
    Well ... which Pantheon, and which Vanguard ? And Vanguard is gone either way. You cant return to it if Pantheon is not to your liking.

If you compare Pantheon and Vanguard, each at release, I expect the following differences:

- Overall smaller gameworld, and its not seamless either
    - Crafting will be rather simple
    - No diplomacy
    - Less races
    - Less classes (probably)

+ Much less buggy
    + Much less hardware hungry
    + Advanced mechanics over EverQuest and Vanguard

Thats because the dev team is much smaller. Thus obviously there wont be as much content. But also the release wont be rushed. Thus less bugs. And this time around they keep a close eye on keeping the hardware requirements low-ish.

After release - it depends. If it is successful, there will be more content for Pantheon. I would suspect:

- More complex crafting
    - Diplomacy
    - New classes (Bard is already explicitly mentioned in the official forum as "extended class")
    - Of course more content, especially at highlevel
    - Raise of maxlevel, alternative advancement, etc

If it runs for 20 years, very likely it will have tripple or more content than Vanguard ever had. After all, it also ran for three times as long. And SOE did NOT constantly work on making new content for Vanguard, either.

edited November 2015
    hi @zarriya not to be rude but... i specifically said i didn't sub through PayPal.

To answer your question. I subscribed for one month and cancelled afterwards because of their communication level. They barely communicate about the game, they make it sound like they are going to reveal new information and then they trickle out 3 lines of text and make all this noise about it like its the second coming.

Their mickey mouse response to cancelling bothered me so much that i created an account to post here. Even though they took my money without permission (i used their site to unsub), they had no problem removing my right to post on their forums, even in the support section. Cheap bully tactic, i subbed the orange dev level $15/mnth which basically only gives me forum access. So i don't see how they can still keep charging me but not give my account forum access.

If they have a problem in their process where they dont know how to cancel monthly charges to customers then they need to be upfront, taking money without services rendered... usually that's called theft.

I kinda got into the frenzy OMG OMG a much better EQ is going to come out... but then i guess after the honeymoon wore out and you look at the developer sections of the official website and the posts are 6months+ old... And then they say the game is totally playable from 1-10 for all classes... but no ones seen the game. No thanks. I'll wait till the game is out and buy it a month or two after release. If its that great and has long term potential, then i shouldn't have any problem.

So i just wanted people to know that they are asking for subscriptions but they don't have a way to unsub.

If they fix it, ill be the first to remove my posts, but until then, i think people would want to know that you cant actually unsubscribe from them through normal means, you have to call your credit card company and report the transaction as fraud ...
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Well to be fair the industry is not based on quality,otherwise Blizzard would be broke long ago,it is based on a following.It all had to start somewhere,Blizzard had it's battle.net and there were only a few other online outlets,like Heat.net and TEN,so Blizzard already had a rabid following before Wow.

Vanguard was a solid game,bugs yes,that does not mean the game itself was bad just the coding.

The real problem is that most were already enthralled in WOW,they were not about to uproot and quit their work in Wow unless VG was the next coming of Christ and even then likely not.We are talking about young kids who for the first time ever,got some mmorpg loot and likely got all giddy/excited,so yeah/no they were not leaving Wow no matter what.

VG was simply in the wrong place at the wrong time.The problem i have moving forward is that almost ALL of Brad's former ideals are now even more outdated and just plain boring because we are burnt out on linear questing and free xp ideas,and simple crafting systems "tiers 1-10".I have tried to go back and it seriously gets boring real quick,so if this game tries to rehash Vanguard/Wow/EQ2 even EQ1 in any way,it will struggle badly.

Sadly and i mean VERY sadly,it seems Epsorts is the way to go to have success in dollars making crap games.SO this game is going to have to rely on competing in a very large market.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

edited November 2015
    hi @zarriya not to be rude but... i specifically said i didn't sub through PayPal.

To answer your question. I subscribed for one month and cancelled afterwards because of their communication level. They barely communicate about the game, they make it sound like they are going to reveal new information and then they trickle out 3 lines of text and make all this noise about it like its the second coming.

Their mickey mouse response to cancelling bothered me so much that i created an account to post here. Even though they took my money without permission (i used their site to unsub), they had no problem removing my right to post on their forums, even in the support section. Cheap bully tactic, i subbed the orange dev level $15/mnth which basically only gives me forum access. So i don't see how they can still keep charging me but not give my account forum access.

If they have a problem in their process where they dont know how to cancel monthly charges to customers then they need to be upfront, taking money without services rendered... usually that's called theft.

I kinda got into the frenzy OMG OMG a much better EQ is going to come out... but then i guess after the honeymoon wore out and you look at the developer sections of the official website and the posts are 6months+ old... And then they say the game is totally playable from 1-10 for all classes... but no ones seen the game. No thanks. I'll wait till the game is out and buy it a month or two after release. If its that great and has long term potential, then i shouldn't have any problem.

So i just wanted people to know that they are asking for subscriptions but they don't have a way to unsub.

If they fix it, ill be the first to remove my posts, but until then, i think people would want to know that you cant actually unsubscribe from them through normal means, you have to call your credit card company and report the transaction as fraud ...

Hmm...

You have very few comments here and those that you do are typical fallacious ones such as:

so can i sum up what you are saying... 
    the developers should make the best content for the very few hardcore/raiders
    raiding should be a thing for least people as possible
    developers are foolish to put their creativity and soul into content for the masses, instead they should make their best most proud works of creation accessible to the least possible people.
    that is the altruistic mentality the selfish middle 80% of the server population doesn't get?

lol
    I have read the forums over there, followed their progress since the KS off and on and they have always been fair with the information they could provide and when they might be able to. Anyone who has been following them knows this and either accepts it or does not.

Your limited responses here and the complaints and arguments you make... well... I think you either don't read or look into things very well that you decide to support or you are exaggerating your involvement.

I mean, who makes arguments like you then chooses to support a game like Pantheon that has been upfront about their situation from the start? You whine about the forums not being responsive and whine about them not giving you updates as you like and then whine about this? Heck, you said you only subbed for a month and you were upset that you didn't get a bunch of updates for a game that is still in pre-alpha? I don't buy it... your arguments sounds very much like the trolls I often see on the internet.

What was your forum name on the Pantheon forums so we can see your questions, comments, arguments, etc...? This way we can see the content of your position rather than accepting your obvious negative responses here.
    edited November 2015
    Wizardry said:
    VG was simply in the wrong place at the wrong time.The problem i have moving forward is that almost ALL of Brad's former ideals are now even more outdated and just plain boring because we are burnt out on linear questing and free xp ideas,and simple crafting systems "tiers 1-10".I have tried to go back and it seriously gets boring real quick,so if this game tries to rehash Vanguard/Wow/EQ2 even EQ1 in any way,it will struggle badly.

Sadly and i mean VERY sadly,it seems Epsorts is the way to go to have success in dollars making crap games.SO this game is going to have to rely on competing in a very large market.

What Brad games did you play? Seriously, I am seeing you go on about "linear questing and free xp"  and I have to think, where did you see that? EQ didn't have a linear questing system. In fact, it was completely the opposite with quests being strewn out throughout the world where the player had to search them out. You sound like you played SoE EQ after it had been out for over a decade when they began modeling it after WoW because linear questing was not a Brad "ideal".

Also, where do you get this idea of Free xp ideas? Care to elaborate? As for "simple crafting", EQ was fairly simple for its time, a basic skill system, but in all honesty not much different than most games to be honest. Vanguard is where the crafting design was quite well though out and with depth. So again, what are you talking about?

It sounds like you don't even know what EQ/VG are, but we are to take your advice as to those systems being wrong? /boggle
    edited November 2015
    I have to say, anyone wanting this type of game, but not willing to pledge any money to its development, is simply not walking the talk.
    What talk is that to which would require a walk? If people want to donate, great.. I am sure the team appreciates it, but if some choose to wait, well.. then there is that as well. Suggesting otherwise is on the verge of becoming "fan boyish" and honestly, I think we have enough of that mentality in all the mainstream games.
    Post edited by Sinist on