Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Greatest MMOs of All Time - Number 5 through 1 a Editorial at MMORPG.com

Comments

• adamaj74adamaj74 Member UncommonPosts: 19
    Wow, are you guys serious? Out of everything wrong with this list, including GW2 as #2, the most egregious offense is the fact that ESO didn't even make the list! Are you kidding me? What a joke.
  • RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029
    and now everyone knows why people say mmo is a dirty word! WOW is a average overpriced crap game!
  • red_cruiserred_cruiser Member UncommonPosts: 486
    Guild Wars II is way, way too high. It wasn't really that much fun and I'm not aware of either any major cultural relevance or any monumental contributions to the genre that GW2 helped innovate. The game's only merit seems to be that everyone bought it because it didn't have a subscription fee attached to it.
  • ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    Jonnyp2 said:
    Putting GW2 at #2 is purely a ploy to get a reaction out of the readers. It's ridiculous and honestly not even worth debating. I'd say Wow, eq, and swg are top 3 in that order.. although you can make a case for any of them. Then follow that up with some order of ultima/daoc/eve/gw2/swtor/coh/ffxi/xiv.
    ^This GW2 barely qualifies as an MMO, let alone the 2nd best of all time. The game is 98% solo ffs
  • Phoexyael18Phoexyael18 Member CommonPosts: 1
    mark2123 said:
    ESO is better than most on that list and didn't make it. .
    I'd agree with. ESO should be at least under gw2. It's a good MMO. WoW doesn't really deserve its place nowadays.
  • TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    edited October 2015
    Asheron's Call should have been in the top 5. It was one of the most innovative MMORPG's on the market that many other MMO's copied from.   It also had some unique features and game play mechanics that no MMORPG has duplicated - ever. To put it at #11 is just so very wrong.
  • AlanXSAlanXS Member UncommonPosts: 5
    Gw2 2nd and WoW 1st, I'm happy. Gw2 introduced some great mechanics to mmos, fluid fast-paced combat with unique elements, dynamic events, horizontal progression, living world, not to mention the beauty of the world with gorgeous views and awesome graphics, and SAB. Just a few reasons why I agree with this list, just an opinion.
  • ZandogZandog Member UncommonPosts: 97
    I completely agree with this list. GW2 is firmly #2 MMORPG is all time.
    Every time Goonsquad/SA/DS post salt on Star Citizen, I spend more money on it. Every time a mentally disturbed former backer or Elite CMDR toxic emo comments, I spend more money on it. Every time they refuse to answer why they spend so much time arguing about a game they don't even like, I spend more money on it. Want to watch the world burn because you can't have your way? You got whats coming to you.
  • Sasori_japSasori_jap Member UncommonPosts: 23
    As an old timer that have played most of the games in the list i have to say that GW2 more than deserves the second place. I usualy dont say this but realy most people fail to see what a true gem this game is.
  • Leon1eLeon1e Member UncommonPosts: 791
    After HoT launch what would other MMOs have that Gw2 doesn't? Raids? Got it, endgame progression? got it. 2 generations of legendaries ... yup its there. Adventures, yup, got it. Structured PvP with leagues? got it! New larger WvW maps with more map mechanics? Got it! IMO Gw2HoT is Guild Wars 2.5. It came a little late, we can all agree to this, but it will land in approx 8 days since this writing. I think ANet deserves a good tap on the back for being different. Although, It would've been nice if all articles you guys wrote would have links in this article. Kinda want to see what you wrote as summary to Lineage 2 and EVE Online :p but that's just a personal pet peeve.
  • GreteldaGretelda Member UncommonPosts: 359
    edited October 2015
    WoW #1, GW2 #2. i see we share the same opinion. now i feel better about myself lol. nah kiddin but in my list WoW and GW2 are number 1 and 2 probably. maybe Everquest instead of WoW i am not sure. i keep switching back and forth in my head because i am a hardcore Warcraft IP fan.

i feel bad that i missed Star Wars Galaxies.

edit: the salt in this topic is real lol.

my top MMOs: UO,DAOC,WoW,GW2

most of my posts are just my opinions they are not facts,it is the same for you too.

• nagennifnagennif Member UncommonPosts: 48
    I agree with everyone who said Guild Wars 2 shouldn't be #2 on this list. You're absolutely right. It should be #1. lol

If I were interested in gear grind, I'd have become a watchmaker

• NukeGamerNukeGamer Member, AMA Guest UncommonPosts: 309
    edited October 2015
    Haha in 2006 #3 SWG HAD 10,000 players playing on a Friday night!  Smed never denied this. 

So I guess the moral of the story is if you get a few grown men crying enough about a video game that wasn't very good it can push it up the rankings of some sketchy list.  
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    BlueLuna said:
    Might be interesting to do a list from the general public and see how the list changes. Trouble is people tend to either remember their first game they ever played or the games more up to date.
    They used to do it, fairly often (the general polls), but those end up just like this, quantity over quality - one of the winners earlier was P101 for example :wink:

These lists are always subjective, since playing a game is a creative process as well beyond simply recreation / having fun. Staying objective is tough, the closest you can get if you just compare raw data (income, playerbase, etc.) but that tells very little of the game's real "value", which is fun - and every person has an own and unique set of criteria for that.
    Movies, for example (or anything else besides games) are more straightforward in this matter, even if you loathe a movie, you can rate it objectively - that's an another topic that subjective, one-sided reviews generates more read, more debate and more "noise" usually :wink: but the option is there for the objective evaluation. In games, with active participation as a huge factor, it's much tougher.

That's why I said above, this list wasn't really about the games themselves, it was about the staff, and how they're thinking about the mmos of the last ~20 years. And I think it was an interesting experiment. With a pleasant surprise (CoH) as I wrote above.
  • HaralinHaralin Member UncommonPosts: 148
    great to see gw2 on 2nd place it deserved it in many ways.
  • AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    I disagree with that list, obviously. How was it decided, anyway ?
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Not sure that Planetside and Planetside 2 are really separate enough to get two slots. And considering you left out ESO it does make a difference.
  • AlanXSAlanXS Member UncommonPosts: 5
    Alvonu said:
    GW2 at #2? and EQ at #4? Drugs are bad...

agreed. GW2 would not even make my top 20
    Most of these eye-hurting mmos wouldn't make my list, but I respect their value for their impact on the genre. My top 20 would also be different but I guess that applies to almost every other gamer here.
  • tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    edited October 2015
    Planetside 2 is not better than Planetside and GW2 sucked, it is not number 2. + WoW should be number one, no one can argue that, it is defines the genre.
  • PaskePaske Member UncommonPosts: 135
    AoC, Warhammer and other flawed games are here, but ESO is not ? Who the heck made this list ? Did you give a list to random parrot and he simply plucked the names ?
  • AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415
    Apparently they judged by some criteria other than the Religion of Nostalgia.

Not a bad top five, really. Some of the earlier (35 to 26) picks were waaaay more (??WTF??) than the final ten or twenty.
  • FomaldehydeJimFomaldehydeJim Member UncommonPosts: 673
    I had a chat in the pub with some mates, and we had ESO on the list, and GW2 certainly was not as high as #2. Since my method has as much credence as asking people around the office I am declaring my version as the definitive list. I might write an article about it. Actually, I might just pick names randomly out of a hat and make a list out of that, or just list them alphabetically, it would have about as much veracity as this article.  
  • FayEverdunesFayEverdunes Member UncommonPosts: 12
    edited October 2015
    I see a lot of people say that GW2 doesn't deserve the #2 spot but most people aren't explaining why? Other than what people experienced around launch or 'it's boring or bad'. The game has massively improved since then and there are raids coming in the expansion. I've been playing the game since launch and I also played other MMO's including hardcore raiding in WoW. So, maybe you can call me a fangirl but I love GW2, it deserves the #2 spot for sure in my opinion and I enjoyed games like SWtor, The Secret World etc., 

I would love to hear why so many people hate GW2 and if they've tried playing it again since the base game has gone F2P? Have you played the Living Story 2? It's far better than the personal storyline. There's a new bigger WvW map coming, raids, guild halls etc.

Sure, GW2 isn't for everyone but the sheer volume of hate without reasons makes me wonder if that hate is really earned or if people just aren't giving it another chance or maybe they just misunderstand the game? It's not played the same way you'd play WoW it's far more sandboxy. I'm just trying to understand the hate really, I'm really not seeing a good reason for it. Even just looking at the game objectively it has a lot going for it.

This just feels more like all those people who played WoW for a while and then claim to hate it to jump on the WoW hating bandwagon or they played to lvl 10 and quit. I challenge thee to try to game again or if you haven't tried it to give it a go, base game is F2P after all... :)
    Post edited by FayEverdunes on
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    I think LOTRO should be higher. Sure it went to hell in a handbasket but when I played just after the Mines of Moria release, it was a great MMO. I am glad to see Warhammer got a respectable place. That too was a very good MMO for its time.
  • FayEverdunesFayEverdunes Member UncommonPosts: 12
    edited October 2015
    Rhoklaw said:

If you need some arguments as to why GW2 isn't a great game, try these on for size...

• Non Trinity Combat - Most likely designed with the idea that combat in GW2 would be more action oriented. I personally think it has more flaws than benefits. It would have been better to do what TERA did with combat and they still managed to keep the Trinity system.
    • WvWvW - So ANet's take on DAoC's tri realm combat was probably better than Mythic Entertainments successor WarHammer Online, I personally think ESO's Cyrodill did a much better job of capturing the true elements found in DAoC's RvR. GW2 maps were too small and you ended up with the same problem if not a worse case scenario than WAR with rotating keeps. On top of that, it was a complete chaotic zergfest.
    • When GW2 launched, it boasted Dynamic content like it was some randomly generated, once in a lifetime event. Oh hell no. It wasn't Dynamic at all in any sense of the word. Every event in GW2 was repeatable ad nauseam.
    • Don't even get me started on the friggin jumping puzzles. They even went as far as to incorporate this crap in PvP zones. Yes, that's what every MMO needs, lol.
    • Forced levels in every zone is a great way to increase veteran players to visit old zones to help out newbies. However, why not use a mentoring system instead? No one wants to fight through EVERY zone when trying to complete a map.

So, theres 5 things that I didn't care for at all about GW2. The worst of those 5 being the lack of a trinity system and the fact their so called Dynamic content was a complete farce during the game's initial promotion prior to launch.
    1: They appear to be introducing more need for healing and tank builds. The one raid boss they demonstrated during the beta required someone to 'tank' the boss essentially. The main difference is that pretty much all classes can assume that roll if build towards it. I know that some people really like the super strict roles but I kinda like that it's not so set in stone. Some of the new specs are heavily build for healing so I'm curious to see how that pans out with new encounters.

2. They're releasing a new WvW map with HoT that's about 3 times the size of the original borderlands. The purpose being the split up the zerg probably.

3. They are dynamic events, they happen and you can see them unfold in the world and depending on what you do it triggers other events. So while it's more of a pendulum system than true dynamics it's probably the closest you can get with the technology they're using to build GW2. I think it's a huge improvement from the standard linear ? ! collect 10 bear flanks quests. I mean you can still find those kind of quests in GW2 but there are far more varied questing types and with the heart quests you usually get a multiple choice on how you want to complete it.

4. Since the borderlands are going to be replaced by the new ones, those jumping puzzles will be gone although I have no idea if they added any in the new borderlands. The one in the center map was moved into it's own separate map and you can queue up for it separately. They also made an arena within it that can be used to host GvG matches (not an official gamemode but tournaments people like to host themselves so that gives them a space to do that without interrupting the actual match). They also added EoTM which is basically a WvW map where you can play WvW while queuing for the main WvW maps. It doesn't add to the WvW score but at least you don't have to stand around Lion's Arch waiting for the queue to pop just to play some WvW.

5. I actually like that I can go to a lower level on my lvl 80 and help out new people without feeling like I'm just wiping everything out with a single hit. I mean you sort of do with weak mobs in the really, really starting areas but overall you actually get to enjoy the mechanics rather than negate them.

I'd say, why not give it another go? In a week the new WvW map will come out with HoT and what not.