Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I guess I am just gonna have to accept Pay 2 win cash shops, and gambling boxes lol.

13»

Comments

• Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,292
    DMKano said:
    Again since there is no agreement on what exactly p2w means - you can call anything p2w, it's pretty meaningless 
    As I have stated elsewhere, Pay to Win (P2W) is a derogatory term (i.e. insult). It is used to indicate that someone doesn't like something, it transfers that meaning fairly well.
  • makasouleater69makasouleater69 Member UncommonPosts: 1,096
    edited October 2015
    DMKano said:
    Again since there is no agreement on what exactly p2w means - you can call anything p2w, it's pretty meaningless 
    As I have stated elsewhere, Pay to Win (P2W) is a derogatory term (i.e. insult). It is used to indicate that someone doesn't like something, it transfers that meaning fairly well.
    It is not,  it is describe a business model that plays on peoples emotions. Which happens to give people advantage, faster exp, redoing crafting, better chances to get stuff, ect ect ect.

I suppose though, now that i think about it, your right. It is used that way quite a bit. With some people caring enough to take offence at it, if their game is called that. I guess what changed my mind from the first comment, was DMKano, he is a perfect example of that.

As far as the business model goes, it is a good one to make money. It also is well known enough, that people have accepted it.

I just never will. I don't accept anything of the sort. It is un regulated gambling is what it is. And un regulated gambling is not a good thing at all.

I am sure eventually the Government will have to step in and fix it all. Esp when people start dying over it. Which will happen, if it already didn't. Because of the large sums of money involved in these stupid ass 9 games. 

Such as, some one playing a joke on some friend, and deleted his account, or gives his stuff away. Or the account was stolen, and the person knows who stole it. 

Esp in games like Ache age, where you die to other people. 
    DMKano said:
    It is not,  it is describe a business model that plays on peoples emotions. Which happens to give people advantage, faster exp, redoing crafting, better chances to get stuff, ect ect ect.

I suppose though, now that i think about it, your right. It is used that way quite a bit. With some people caring enough to take offence at it, if their game is called that. I guess what changed my mind from the first comment, was DMKano, he is a perfect example of that.

As far as the business model goes, it is a good one to make money. It also is well known enough, that people have accepted it.

I just never will. I don't accept anything of the sort. It is un regulated gambling is what it is. And un regulated gambling is not a good thing at all.

I am sure eventually the Government will have to step in and fix it all. Esp when people start dying over it. Which will happen, if it already didn't. Because of the large sums of money involved in these stupid ass 9 games. 

Such as, some one playing a joke on some friend, and deleted his account, or gives his stuff away. Or the account was stolen, and the person knows who stole it. 

Esp in games like Ache age, where you die to other people. 
    Lets clear this up right away.. there is no P2W business model... unless you are referring to it in a very general sense... to mean that selling things is a business model.

Business Model is defined as: a design for the successful operation of a business, identifying revenue sources, customer base, products, and details of financing.

P2P is a business model, also known as the direct service model.
    F2P is a business model, also known as software as a service (SAAS) 

P2W is how people describe the monetization of a game, if they are unhappy with it. There is no specified formula to be P2W, nor any inherent monetary advantages. It would be like describing 'Agressive' as a business model.

• HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    edited October 2015
    Sooo, has anyone tested this or seen how much it costs? Cause we seem to be taking words someone heard by someone else, somewhere. I've looked over that shop like 600 times, because i've earned enough coins in-game to buy what I want from the cash shop (only game I've played that offers this, if people could name more?) and haven't seen anything related to what the op is talking about :/
    edited October 2015
    Herase said:
    Sooo, has anyone tested this or seen how much it costs? Cause we seem to be taking words someone heard by someone else, somewhere. I've looked over that shop like 600 times, because i've earned enough coins in-game to buy what I want from the cash shop (only game I've played that offers this, if people could name more?) and haven't seen anything related to what the op is talking about :/
    Well no ones gonna test it, unless they have some serious cash to waste, because they arent going to let you have a copy of their server files so you could host your own.

So you got extra money here is the test. 

Start a account with no money.

Record everything.

Start account and spend 3000.

Record everything.

Let us know which had more stuff, higher level, more wins at pvp, more general deaths, ect.

In my theory, the account you spent 3000 on, is going to have a significant amount of more stuff, a way higher level, way more wins at pvp, and 0 deaths. Also record your dps, ect. 

Pay 2 Win, Pay 2 have more, Pay 2 have a advantage, Pay 2 just be a general better character. What ever you want to call it. A lot of people don't care, I happen to. It bothers me when I see some one run by, with max stuff, and i know for a fact he didn't earn it by being good at the game, or even playing the game much, he earned it because he dumped a bunch of money in the game. 

Example would be, everquest and the people who earned their epic weapon from playing the game, great feeling, took a long time and a bunch of team work. In wild star, you can just by pass all that time it would take, and just buy your way to epic. 

As I have already said it is accepted. In my day of mmos, people who bought ever quest accounts for 2000 bucks, were looked down upon, and shunned and laughed at. 

So I still shun and laugh at people, who spend a bunch of money to cheat in a game. I know you don't think its cheating, but there is no other way to look at it. 

It is the same thing, as sticking another coin into a old school arcade game to start over. 

I point and laugh at the person who dumped 400 worth of quarters in the game to beat it, when another person could beat it with 1 quarter. 

People who cash shop mmo, have 0 respect from me. 
    Torval said:
    So I still shun and laugh at people, who spend a bunch of money to cheat in a game. I know you don't think its cheating, but there is no other way to look at it. 

It is the same thing, as sticking another coin into a old school arcade game to start over. 

I point and laugh at the person who dumped 400 worth of quarters in the game to beat it, when another person could beat it with 1 quarter. 

Then you should probably move on and find a different game. If all you can do is mock the community and flamebait then this probably isn't a good fit for you. Do you really think anyone here or in game wants or needs your respect? If you can't be respectful then your respect holds little value.

I don't mind how they sell their game. The game is fun to me. The in game community seems pretty nice. That's what is important to me.
    Well that was the whole point of this post. By the time i made it to the 3rd post, I already decided not to accept their pay 2 win business model, of gambling boxes, and exploiting people who compulsive spend. 
  • NeuriaNeuria Member UncommonPosts: 9
    edited October 2015
    Torval said:

Then you should probably move on and find a different game. If all you can do is mock the community and flamebait then this probably isn't a good fit for you. Do you really think anyone here or in game wants or needs your respect? If you can't be respectful then your respect holds little value.

I don't mind how they sell their game. The game is fun to me. The in game community seems pretty nice. That's what is important to me.
    Well that was the whole point of this post. By the time i made it to the 3rd post, I already decided not to accept their pay 2 win business model, of gambling boxes, and exploiting people who compulsive spend. 
    Except compulsive spenders will be 'victimized' everywhere in this world. It's optional nonsense and saying "I'm compulsive" doesn't mean it isn't the spender's fault, that's not how things work. As for other things, if you can't take a few days to work for something, then the only MMO you must enjoy is WoW.

No offense with the ad hom, but I just fail to see your argument. The game practically hands everything to you, and then you get to endgame and actually have to put in a shred of effort. I just do not understand how this is Pay 2 Win. But after reading through this thread, people seem to have funny definitions of what P2W even is.

But I guess that's a similar case to those whom adopt a phrase they know little about and keep pushing it a certain way until their brain hard-codes it as a definition of fact.

Pay 2 Win was something reserved exclusively for competitive games for the -longest-. It was only recently tossed in to describe microtransactions with MMOs when Free 2 Play started to become a trend for them. But then everyone starts losing sight of what it /means/.

P2W implies that there are things to can obtain that otherwise cannot be obtained unless you pay, that grant an advantage over other players. As we get exp boosters and other nonsense without paying a dime, this game is not P2W. It's also PvE focused, there are no "Do more damage in PvP" boosters. -That- is what would be considered Pay 2 Win. You can literally get from level 1 to level cap and geared to raid in less than a month, even on a normal schedule. That's generous compared to other MMOs, so I just cannot sympathize with people who think the ability to buy boosters (you can otherwise obtain without spending a cent) is P2W.

Especially with the Omnibit currency system, which you get tons of as you play; which can be used in place of RL currency for things in their store.

There's literally no reasons to complain unless you simply want everything handed to you. Otherwise, you're seeing their business model all wrong.

EDIT: The only thing I could see people getting bent out of shape with, is the Sig status and what that grants you. But I personally believe that's fair, because you otherwise don't have to pay a thing. It's generally what MMOs do after they go F2P; give players an option to subscribe still and keep the experience they've known in the past before it was even F2P. Think of it more like the game never changed, except now you can play it for free if you want and simply get less benefits.

Even as a F2P player, you can still find the exp boosters and junk, so... lol
  • theglenn3theglenn3 Member UncommonPosts: 26
    Until it's not a huge source of cash flow they will move a bunch of failing wasteful games to this model.  The only way to stop P2W is to stop paying to win.  Which means its only gonna get worse not better.

Optimizing PC games for consoles is kinda like outfitting your car for a bike trail.

theglenn3 said:
    Until it's not a huge source of cash flow they will move a bunch of failing wasteful games to this model.  The only way to stop P2W is to stop paying to win.  Which means its only gonna get worse not better.
    You uh.. ..You realize we're talking about a game that's not Pay 2 Win, right?
  • theglenn3theglenn3 Member UncommonPosts: 26
    Neuria said:
    theglenn3 said:
    You uh.. ..You realize we're talking about a game that's not Pay 2 Win, right?
    O_o ok.

Optimizing PC games for consoles is kinda like outfitting your car for a bike trail.

Herase said:

Let us know which had more stuff, higher level, more wins at pvp, more general deaths, ect.

In my theory, the account you spent 3000 on, is going to have a significant amount of more stuff, a way higher level, way more wins at pvp, and 0 deaths. Also record your dps, ect. 

Pay 2 Win, Pay 2 have more, Pay 2 have a advantage, Pay 2 just be a general better character.
    but what exactly on the store cause the said things above? As i said I've looked over that store and haven't seen anything that could cause what you said above, especially 0 deaths and top dps.

I'm genuinely asking, just so you know.
    Neuria said:
    Torval said:

Except compulsive spenders will be 'victimized' everywhere in this world. It's optional nonsense and saying "I'm compulsive" doesn't mean it isn't the spender's fault, that's not how things work. As for other things, if you can't take a few days to work for something, then the only MMO you must enjoy is WoW.

No offense with the ad hom, but I just fail to see your argument. The game practically hands everything to you, and then you get to endgame and actually have to put in a shred of effort. I just do not understand how this is Pay 2 Win. But after reading through this thread, people seem to have funny definitions of what P2W even is.

But I guess that's a similar case to those whom adopt a phrase they know little about and keep pushing it a certain way until their brain hard-codes it as a definition of fact.

Pay 2 Win was something reserved exclusively for competitive games for the -longest-. It was only recently tossed in to describe microtransactions with MMOs when Free 2 Play started to become a trend for them. But then everyone starts losing sight of what it /means/.

P2W implies that there are things to can obtain that otherwise cannot be obtained unless you pay, that grant an advantage over other players. As we get exp boosters and other nonsense without paying a dime, this game is not P2W. It's also PvE focused, there are no "Do more damage in PvP" boosters. -That- is what would be considered Pay 2 Win. You can literally get from level 1 to level cap and geared to raid in less than a month, even on a normal schedule. That's generous compared to other MMOs, so I just cannot sympathize with people who think the ability to buy boosters (you can otherwise obtain without spending a cent) is P2W.

Especially with the Omnibit currency system, which you get tons of as you play; which can be used in place of RL currency for things in their store.

There's literally no reasons to complain unless you simply want everything handed to you. Otherwise, you're seeing their business model all wrong.

EDIT: The only thing I could see people getting bent out of shape with, is the Sig status and what that grants you. But I personally believe that's fair, because you otherwise don't have to pay a thing. It's generally what MMOs do after they go F2P; give players an option to subscribe still and keep the experience they've known in the past before it was even F2P. Think of it more like the game never changed, except now you can play it for free if you want and simply get less benefits.

Even as a F2P player, you can still find the exp boosters and junk, so... lol
    I dont accept F2P, at all, in any form. It is garbage, and as I said is gambling box, pay 2 win retardation. But you go for it. I am happy you accept this horrible business model. I am done with MMOs as far as they go. They are all f2p, pay 2 win, cash shop, gambling box garbage. 

I think a monthly payment of 15-40 bucks, with 0 cash shop is the more respectable, better model. I am just glad there are survival games. I will enjoy my Ark, for 30 bucks box, and 40 a month for my dedicated server. Where I control everything there is to do with the game, with the ability to make any content I want for the game, because it comes with a editor. You enjoy your Free 2 play linear mmo. 
  • AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    The most interesting part of f2p is that it works.

The only reason why people start really complaining about it is because now everybody does it, it starts to get really stupid.

However - it works. Why ? I dont understand it really. This certainly should teach you something about human beings.

Personally I accept:

Subscription based - As long as we are in a world in which everything costs money, my prefered model. I can get a good game and I know the devs will have full refrigerators etc, too.

Buy to play - The Guild Wars model. Frankly I consider Guild Wars crap. Its an horrendously boring game. That gives me a prejudice against games like that; I dont think this model can actually work. GW was extremely optimized for having as little network traffic as possible, as a result it wasnt really a seamless persistent noninstanced world, but instead you left town and would be in a singleplayer game unless you had someone in your party.

Real free to play - That one I wouldnt object to either.

I kind of ended up tolerating SOEs "freemium". You could still have a subscription, you could get some items from the shop since you got a monthly bonus from the subscription, and there wasnt really anything but convenience and fluff items in the shop - nothing you really needed. The free players however needed certain items from the shop, if they reached higher levels - and those items wouldnt be too cheap either. So basically people could do an extensive test run of the game.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Herase said:
    Herase said:

Pay 2 Win, Pay 2 have more, Pay 2 have a advantage, Pay 2 just be a general better character.
    but what exactly on the store cause the said things above? As i said I've looked over that store and haven't seen anything that could cause what you said above, especially 0 deaths and top dps.

I'm genuinely asking, just so you know.
    Here's where the big misconceptions about this business model are. Everyone says this. "What's in the cash shop that's P2W?" But that's the thing. It's not about what's in the cash shop. It's what's in the game. It's the Mechanics.

If a developer is going to make a game P2W, they are going to hide it in the game.

The game I had the most exposure to that was P2W was Rappelz. The P2W factor in that game was mostly around RNG boosters, specifically around increasing your chances to get a better upgrade when you enhanced your gear or pets. Individually, they were minor and didn't look like much. But the effect over time became obvious when non paying players could no longer achieve success and hit the "glass ceiling" that consistently paying customers could break through. Paying once or twice in the shop didn't make the difference. Since success was granted only a little more often, it took months to show up, but it did. And yet, to look at the game's mechanics and then look at the item. It really just looks like a "one time success boost" So what? I can take my chances right?

edited October 2015
    I get that, and i've seen it as well, but there's nothing hidden in what the OP is talking about. The ceiling can be broken by any non-paying player and the list of things he said, won't cause such an outcome.

Have much more stuff? How would having good runes give me more stuff? Higher level? Levelling isn't a grind and I can purchase all the pots on the CS for free with omnicoins, which are given left, right and center ( level 20 and have 300 on a new toon), plus you can get them as log-in rewards, leveling bags and many other ways. 0 deaths? That's down the players skill, having runes won't make you immortal.

Dps? Now we're on to something that could be serious. I would be agreeing with the OP if, re-rolling was only for paying players or the option to pick a specific element slot was to, but it isn't. Both players have to pay gold to add an extra slot and re-roll a random element. To pick a specific element, you use service coins, service coins are given out for free while you level, so by max level you should have more than enough to play around with the runes for free. If by then you have none for some mad reason, you can buy them with omnicoins, again by max level you should have more than enough. 

IMHO, unless your aiming for the 1% top tier raiding, you would be wasting money, as there is no point.  TBH even I would say it's a waste even if you are the 1% :/
    End of the day, it's clear the OP has no solid facts to give us and is only going off of opinion (which has been proven false, by solid facts). It's even more obvious he doesn't actually play the game (or didn't for long at all) nor know what he's talking about, and furthermore self-admitted to not enjoying MMOs. Why he's even here, I have no idea.

There's little reason responding to this thread further, all points have been made.
  • HellscreamHellscream Member UncommonPosts: 98
    I would never laugh at the people who spend money in the store these people who buy in store are the ones that keep the game going for the people who do not spend money in the game need money to keep a game running servers and everything else are not cheap to run MMO's in general are not cheap to run.

And if you don't like the cash shops and gambling boxes no one is forcing you to buy them either its in no way stopping you from enjoying the game.

Also if people want to spend there money on a game i see no issues with that if they want to spend there money that way that's there thing.
    I dont accept F2P, at all, in any form. 
    Everyone on this forum accepts F2P in some form... This forum uses a form of the SAAS/F2P model. If you didn't accept that, you would not be posting here.

F2P is a basic business model. It is called SAAS in the enterprise market, and is the most commonly used business model  (free content, paid for on the back end) on the web as well as television. It is very effective whenever there is a low cost of production/replication of content.

It is very common to attribute other factors to F2P that are not actually part of the model. It does not mean that they can not be used in conjunction with the model, but it does mean that the model can operate without them.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Keywords >>back end.
    The term free is simply misused and not factual,so it is not something we should accept.

Our back end internet is a fixed rate,we also have choice where and when to use it and it can access the entire world.A game ONLY allows you to access what it wants you to and you have to pay for it separately.

There is of course always greed out there,the governments have tried or thought about ways to nickle and dime us as if  the government feels it deserves to make money off of the airwaves.It will eventually happen and not because it should but.One government ,likely the USA will start using some excuse about using the money to fund something important,so eventually the whole world  will be a cash shop,yes even breathing the air and using he airwaves.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.