Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Greatest MMOs of All Time - Number 5 through 1 a Editorial at MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited October 2015 in News & Features Discussion

The Greatest MMOs of All Time - Number 5 through 1 a Editorial at MMORPG.com

It's the final countdown. Here comes Number 5 through Number 1 of our Greatest MMOs of All Time rankings. Are you prepared to argue and shout "I told you so!" in the comments? Then read on and gird your loins!

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Post edited by SBFord on

Comments

• SimonShagrathSimonShagrath Member UncommonPosts: 12
    I agree with the article. LOTRO; Age of Conan, SWTOR... all my loved MMORPGs are here. And yes, WOW deserves 1st place. I play it usually for 2 months per year now, but I still love it.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Made some pretty good guessing, 3 out of 5 :wink:  (I mean guessing after the start, http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/comment/6742567/#Comment_6742567 )
    The other 2 however, total miss, which is a bit odd, not even Mike voted for MH? Don't get me wrong, I agree it has no place on the list (just like ESO, my other failed guess), but I thought you have other preferences.

CoH is a pleasant surprise, the only good game from the last five - imo :wink: 
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited October 2015
    Po_gg said:
    Made some pretty good guessing, 3 out of 5 :wink:  (I mean guessing after the start, http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/comment/6742567/#Comment_6742567 )

CoH is a pleasant surprise, the only good game from the last five - imo :wink: 
    I will confess to having very fond memories of CoH; story arcs, side kicks, didn't bother with a by then "traditional" economy, respecs available via quests and "full screen" in your face characters.

EQ was what it was; GW2 number 2 to Lineage 1 in terms of success (OK I jest but financially L1 could be on the cusp of overtaking WoW in terms of revenue). Have to agree with the comments about SWG.

And WoW - especially when it launched was the mmo.

(I am sure posting these comments shouldn't be reminding me of WordStar.)
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    WoW is a cheap first place. Numbers do not make a great MMO. They stole most of their ideas from other MMOs and when a new MMO would come out with something new and exciting, they would poach it and add it to their game before the new game could release. I did lose 6 years of game time to WoW but its far from the top and best MMO out there. But from a business stand point I get why someone would say so. Over all thats my only gripe with this list.
  • Karnage69Karnage69 Member UncommonPosts: 323
    I can't say I agree with their list, but to each their own.
  • Panserbjorne39Panserbjorne39 Member UncommonPosts: 142
    It's interesting to see that FFXIV made the top ten and SWTOR did not. I'd be interested to hear why it didn't make the top ten. Not a fanboy really, just curious.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    edited October 2015
    Nanfoodle said:
    Numbers do not make a great MMO. 
    Even moreso, I used to find the ones with the largest numbers and so-called "popularity" the biggest cr.p :lol:

But I think making a guess about this list wasn't about the games, was more about the staff. That's why I put MH into the first 5, and ESO has a few fans too among the authors.
    Well, seems I'm still not a veteran mmorpg.com user enough :wink:

(for example I was surprised by SWG, but I wasn't here back then so I don't know how much the staff liked it)
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    Not sure how Wildstar even made this list.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    edited October 2015

Wow deserves it but only when reflecting on it's previous editions and earlier expansions most likely pre-cataclysm.

SWG at #3 is a very bad choice. EQ should be far ahead of it. SWG's legacy is hinged entirely upon it's sandbox features which influence games in that area even today. EQ influenced the genre far more. Wow would likely not exist without it and certainly did not take much influence from SWG.

I agree with Swtor not being included within the top 10. It's terrible history through development is what broke Bioware. This was the soul reason why EQ bought them out. They were broke and managed by idiots which EA fired the moment they purchased them. It is the one area I give EA credit for ... fiscal management.

Swtor only became profitable once it sold out to f2p and lottery boxes ... not because of the actual game play.

You stay sassy!

• AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
    I am so happy CoH got on the list at all. To be #5 and the highest ranked game that was shut down is a testament as to how great the game was. Thank you!
  • AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
    Viper482 said:
    Not sure how Wildstar even made this list.
    I think it deserves props for doing somethings other MMOs weren't doing (a non-drab art style, bits of humor, a sci-fi game in a sea of Skyrim-clones, player housing, etc). Plus how it is working to turn itself around when nearly everyone thought the game would be canceled months after release.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I agree with the top three and would have put Marvel Heroes somewhere on the list as the devs have turned the game around since launch.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    coh 5 im happy but Gw2 2nd best mmo of all the time? no even close but thats imho
  • Ammon777_newAmmon777_new Member UncommonPosts: 306
    Long live WoW !!!
  • AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,797
    Well done. But for me, nothing will ever be as good as UO was (except for the obvious dated 2.5D art), for it's total freedom and Sandboxyness. Surprisingly (for a Sandboxer), I was glad to see CoH rated highly. For a level grind, it was a fun game to just "hack and slash" in. Great character creation fun.

Once upon a time....

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Good list.  I might have changed a few places around.  Certainly would not have put GW2 above many other titles, let alone second. 

There will be the obvious complaining about WoW, which is typically followed by statements that they played WoW for over half a decade and probably longer than any other MMO, but somehow it is horrible.

• BunnykingBunnyking Member UncommonPosts: 126
    Really don't agree with Guild Wars 2 being number 2...
  • vanderghastvanderghast Member UncommonPosts: 309
    guild wars 2 number 2? Absolutely not!
  • PongpingPongping Member UncommonPosts: 131
    City Of Heroes > Its a shame NCSoft killed it. I would play it again anyday and with me my wife, she would jump around in happiness if they brought CoH back. I still wonder why they shut it down.... no one knows..
  • JemAs666JemAs666 Member UncommonPosts: 252
    EQ should be #2 there is no dimension where GW2 should be ahead of EQ on this list.
  • nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345
    edited October 2015
    My ten cents best 5 MMO's of all time, all time, ranked in order: 1. World of Warcraft. Doesn't need explaining. 2. EVE Online. I've played this the most after WoW. 3. Lord of The Rings Online. It's Middle Earth, like Middle Earth. Awesome. 4. Guild Wars / Guild Wars 2. They are seen fondly as equal but can't pick between the two. They both get the same rank. 5. Dungeons & Dragons Online. Roll for initiative!
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    So Neither Aoin or ESO make this list? Some could argue Aoin is a top 5. I never played it but I never heard anything bad about it. ESO can be debated but it has to be better than 5 or 6 of the names on the list especially since those 5 or 6 arent even MMOs. You can use the 'opinion' excuse all you want but no way no how Aoin isnt on a list of the top 35 MMOs people can think of.
  • bentrimbentrim Member UncommonPosts: 299
    Honestly, if you have played a lot of these games, then I might value your opinion. But CLEARLY you have NOT, GW2 2ND place....not a chance this game is in the top 25. And yes I have played most of them.
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    JemAs666 said:
    EQ should be #2 there is no dimension where GW2 should be ahead of EQ on this list.
    I actually thought this must have been a typo. It is almost sacrilegious having GW2 at # 2 instead of EQ.

You stay sassy!

• ThornrageThornrage Member UncommonPosts: 659
    Where is Elder Scrolls Online? No way Rift or Planetside 2 or even Wildstar is better than ESO.

"I don't give a sh*t what other people say. I play what I like and I'll pay to do it too!" - SerialMMOist