Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Something I'm Sick of Seeing

Characters with names from previous FFs, or variances thereof.  ex. Sephirothxx, Kloud, Vinzent, etc.

If you've played more than one FF, you know that none of the FFs take place in the same world (except for X-2, FFXII, and FFVII 2- the true sequels).  As much as you love characters from the pervious games, try to be a little original instead of ripping something off entirely.  Adding Xs to the end of the name is even lamer because someone's already tried using that name and it just shows how much more unoriginal that idea is.

If you are having trouble thinking of a name, just use the name generator.  You use it by hitting + on the num pad during the name portion of character creation.

Take some pride in your character's name.  MMORPGs usually require some investment in your character.  Who knows?  You may end up playing that character for years and you'll end up stuck as Sssephirothxxx.  image

Lame.

Amaranth

Amaranth

Comments

• Se_arSe_ar Member Posts: 74
    I'm sick of seeing on the box: "Comes with the "Rise of the Heart" expansion pack! I meant what the hell? They haven't even released the game, and then they release an expansion pack WITH the game? It just annoys me.

The sword of light illuminates the dark. I am that light.

The sword of light illuminates the dark. I am that light.

• odinwiseodinwise Member Posts: 79

well you have to keep in mind the game was out for a while in japan.  And they released an expansion in that time.  Of course they're going to bundle it together for the american version :P  I agree about the names.  That's lame.

I haven't played the game, but I heard you start on random servers, so you can't really play with your friends.  WTF is up with that???!  That's freakin retarded!!

Pune!
    For the Horde!!

• XrallionXrallion Member Posts: 1
    PO'd about random servers? Well, look around the introweb on forums and stuff and you'll probably find people handing out World Passes so you and your friends can start on the same one. You can also just create new characters constantly, getting a different server every time. 1:30 odds.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
    *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
    -*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
    I've planted a garden!

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
    *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
    -*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
    I've planted a garden!

• ZoharZohar Member Posts: 673

At later levels, especially after the chocobo quests, traveling is much better =)

• SamusicSamusic Member CommonPosts: 466
    When you reach a decent level travel isn't bad at all.

• BurningManBurningMan Member Posts: 613
    i agree people are living in the past well some names would be cool like Cloud but when you add letter to the end it makes it hella gay hey you seen anyone with the names from the old FFs like Sabin and Cecil and stuff like that

http://www.kingsofchaos.com/recruit.php?uniqid=8mj35887

• jbvegetajbvegeta Member Posts: 109

Originally posted by Amaranth

Characters with names from previous FFs, or variances thereof.  ex. Sephirothxx, Kloud, Vinzent, etc.
    If you've played more than one FF, you know that none of the FFs take place in the same world (except for X-2, FFXII, and FFVII 2- the true sequels).  As much as you love characters from the pervious games, try to be a little original instead of ripping something off entirely.  Adding Xs to the end of the name is even lamer because someone's already tried using that name and it just shows how much more unoriginal that idea is.
    If you are having trouble thinking of a name, just use the name generator.  You use it by hitting + on the num pad during the name portion of character creation.
    Take some pride in your character's name.  MMORPGs usually require some investment in your character.  Who knows?  You may end up playing that character for years and you'll end up stuck as Sssephirothxxx.  image
    Lame.
    i do tend to lead on your side with the names but where did you get the info about a sequeal to ffxii and ffvii
    while ff x has ffx-2 i dont know about the other onse

Amaranth

• BurningManBurningMan Member Posts: 613
    i hate alot of people with gay names like that. Like in every F*CKING MMORPG there is some fag who thinks hes "1337" and he has hte name god. Well when i get WoW i wanna get Illidan as a name if i cant ill get Leon probally

http://www.kingsofchaos.com/recruit.php?uniqid=8mj35887

Originally posted by Xrallion
    PO'd about random servers? Well, look around the introweb on forums and stuff and you'll probably find people handing out World Passes so you and your friends can start on the same one. You can also just create new characters constantly, getting a different server every time. 1:30 odds.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
    *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
    -*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
    I've planted a garden!

Doesn't matter if you can get worldpasses.  It's incredibly inconvenient, and there's no logical reason for random servers period!  It just doesn't make sense!  Why the hell would they do something like that?  I have to say, I would give this game a try if it wasn't for stupid random servers.  That's lame and I'm not wasting my time if I have to do something extra to play with my friends.  I'd rather play another game where there is no extra step.

Pune!
    For the Horde!!

• cyphorcyphor Member UncommonPosts: 131
    The point is to distribute people among the servers equally so that everyone doesn't join a minority of servers leaving them overcrowded and causeing performance problems while other servers are left empty, with the few players on them haveing a bad time in the game as their server will have a weak economy and community (hard to get teams etc).

• ViolentYViolentY Member Posts: 1,458

Originally posted by Amaranth

Lame.

Welcome to the world of MMORPGs, my friend... You're preaching a tune already sung to the choir thousands of times before.

Black Star Deceiver kills it all.
    The sun lies waiting for a call.

-Machiavelli

• ViolentYViolentY Member Posts: 1,458

Doesn't matter if you can get worldpasses.  It's incredibly inconvenient, and there's no logical reason for random servers period!  It just doesn't make sense!  Why the hell would they do something like that?  I have to say, I would give this game a try if it wasn't for stupid random servers.  That's lame and I'm not wasting my time if I have to do something extra to play with my friends.  I'd rather play another game where there is no extra step.

Pune!
    For the Horde!!

No logical reason? You're obviously unexperienced with FFXI and MMORPGs in general. There are no separate servers; Japan, US, Europe, Canada, everyone has the same servers. If they didn't distribute them somehow, you'd have overpopulation on some servers and little to no one on others. I think the idea is actually a good one.

-Machiavelli

Originally posted by ViolentY

Pune!
    For the Horde!!

No logical reason? You're obviously unexperienced with FFXI and MMORPGs in general. There are no separate servers; Japan, US, Europe, Canada, everyone has the same servers. If they didn't distribute them somehow, you'd have overpopulation on some servers and little to no one on others. I think the idea is actually a good one.

don't be so hasty in your assumptions.  I've played MANY of the mmorpgs currently on the market.  Almost all of them actually.  And at the moment, I'm playing daoc.  Have been for a year.  don't assume I'm inexperienced with mmorpgs.  In any case.  I see the reason for it.  But it's a reason I can't agree with.  Not allowing people to easily play with their friends is very irritating.  What if a group of friends all play on a server, and later, after that server has grown large in population, another friend comes along and wants to play with them.  But he can't cuz the server has such a high population.  he keeps getting put into the lower population servers.  That sucks.

I guess you can't please everyone.  The way it is with most MMORPGs, there are servers with low and servers with high, and servers that are unbalanced.  The way FFXI does it, friends aren't always going to be able to play on the same server together.  But I guess they are just trying something new.  at least they aren't going to have low population servers.  But I still don't like the way it's done.  I like playing MMORPGs with my friends.  Which is why I still play daoc.  I quite daoc to play swg for a while, but none of my friends came with me and it was boring.  So I play daoc again.  I like playing with my friends.  If it's going to be a hassle to do that, then I'm not really bothered.  I don't play as much as most people do anyway.  I have a LOT of RL stuff that keeps me from my games.

Pune!
    For the Horde!!

• ApprenticeApprentice Member Posts: 25

Why you so angry? World Passes are very easy to obtain. It's not a pain in the ass either. Since they are your friends, chat/email/phone the number to them and POW! they in game game with you and everyone lives happily ever after. :)

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

I guess you can't please everyone.  The way it is with most MMORPGs, there are servers with low and servers with high, and servers that are unbalanced.  The way FFXI does it, friends aren't always going to be able to play on the same server together.  But I guess they are just trying something new.  at least they aren't going to have low population servers.  But I still don't like the way it's done.  I like playing MMORPGs with my friends.  Which is why I still play daoc.  I quite daoc to play swg for a while, but none of my friends came with me and it was boring.  So I play daoc again.  I like playing with my friends.  If it's going to be a hassle to do that, then I'm not really bothered.  I don't play as much as most people do anyway.  I have a LOT of RL stuff that keeps me from my games.

If you took the first step to start playing SWG before your friends got on then how different would it be to play this before them, raise 1k of gil (not hard), find a worldpass (outside each resident zone) and give it to your friends? Not much effort in that is it? Takes about 2 hours of gaming time and you get a free month.....

Like you I played many MMORPGs and let me tell you in SWG it was a nightmare for some, on the forums they labeled the servers to make it easier for ppl and what happens... servers get scooped up by big guilds like the RP sever and small bands of friends can't play because the servers were filled before the game was even a week old. How fair is that?

Now just imagine if those at SquareEnix had that same mentality that SOE had.....game's out for a year....japanese players are in the hundred thousand....20 out of 30 severs are already locked tight.......FFXI is released to the US and big guilds are looking for a server to call home...then bam now 28 out of 30 servers are locked up and I'm forced to chose from 2 servers unless someone deletes a character. BS! Out of a hundred thousand US players how many are you gonna think will stay aboard after 30 days......no one knows. So why go through the hassle of locked servers, performace issues and frustrated players who only what to play with a friend or 2? Makes sense to me.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• JackoJacko Member Posts: 32
    but there are big guilds,and they DO want to be together.

VoY leader

VoY leader