Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chronicles of Elyria | Character Roles and Skill Advancement | MMORPG

2»

Comments

• MurmelixMurmelix Member UncommonPosts: 53
    acidblood said:
    Sounds good... assuming of course that skills are useful at lower tiers?

You mention MMOs requiring players to be a bit of everything; I actually like this play style, as it gives you a variety of things to do. Don't feel like adventuring today? Go work on crafting / gathering / playing the markets / etc. instead. What I don't like about it though is that, generally, unless you are a master of X you may as well not bother because you can't do anything useful. Crafting is a typical example of this, where useless you have X level of crafting (and the right recipe) you simply can not even attempt to craft anything useful.

What I would like to see is a system where you can be primarily an adventurer, but also have some skill in crafting, and, even though you may not be an expert, you can still craft yourself a useful sword. It won't be the worlds best sword, and it may not be much good at slaying a dragon (magical sword of dragon slaying required) but it is still a well balance, sharp bit of steel with a good handle that is more than capable of taking the head off the next bandit you meet.

well, if you can simply go on the fields and kill a boar to loot his sword, yes it would be pointless. but if everything you need for your adventure, you have to buy first, then there will be people providing basic equippment for basic needs :) the better equipment is only for those who have enough money. the really good wares you have in store are for the rich.
  • SabbicatSabbicat Member UncommonPosts: 290
    Raquis said:
    all we ask for is a good game like skyrim that you can play with a view people,not a crap mmo! is that so hard to understand!
    If all you want is a stand alone game with co-op play why are you looking at MMO's at all?
  • JeromyWalshJeromyWalsh Soulbound StudiosMember UncommonPosts: 134
    edited October 2015
    TeshiKO said:
    @Saker I hope it works too. I really like the crafting system here. As a crafter, a person that really likes that type of system, it's great to see a game that hasn't tossed it in as a secondary concern. However, I think what will happen, as happens with every other game, is that suppliers will jack up the prices of basic materials to the point that no one can get anything done.

It's possible, but unlikely. Suppliers need equipment like everyone else. If they raise their prices, people won't be able to afford them, won't have the suppliers they need, and the Suppliers will find they can't get the equipment they need.

As well, unless they're also Champions or Explorers, they're going to need people to go out and discover resource locations, clear those areas, etc... if all the Champions and Explorers in an area are under-geared because the Suppliers are over-charging the Producers, the economy will force the Suppliers to lower their prices.

Remember, CoE is a closed economy. Money doesn't spawn in the world on NPCs. If an NPC has money it's because the money was transferred from another NPC or PC.

Jeromy Walsh, 
    Owner/CEO of Soulbound Studios
    ChroniclesOfElyria.com
  • NordicApacheNordicApache Member UncommonPosts: 134
    I still dig what I am seeing.
  • SilavenSilaven Member UncommonPosts: 13
    TeshiKO said:
    @Saker I hope it works too. I really like the crafting system here. As a crafter, a person that really likes that type of system, it's great to see a game that hasn't tossed it in as a secondary concern. However, I think what will happen, as happens with every other game, is that suppliers will jack up the prices of basic materials to the point that no one can get anything done.
    Thats where business comes into play though. If the server has the size it wants then there should be plenty of independent suppliers. They will compete for sales by keeping low prices so that they still keep buyers and maintain their profits. Business is Business. The important thing is to make sure there is no monopoly of the supply trade! I personally want to be a merchant/alchemist so I will be in the middle of that competition and I assure you fair market prices will always be my rates~

Well if your NA you might see me around :expressionless: 
  • LordRussellLordRussell Member UncommonPosts: 29
    Calling VAPORWARE. It's just too much good to be true.
    Calling VAPORWARE. It's just too much good to be true.
    Thanks! :-) We're glad you're excited.
    Jeromy Walsh, 
    ChroniclesOfElyria.com
  • LackingMMOLackingMMO Member RarePosts: 664
    Everything I hear about this game is gold. Me and the rest of my guild cant wait for it but after so many games just not delivering we have to be skeptical but anxious at the same time. Cant wait to find out regardless.
  • ZultraZultra Member UncommonPosts: 385
    Everything I hear about this game is gold. Me and the rest of my guild cant wait for it but after so many games just not delivering we have to be skeptical but anxious at the same time. Cant wait to find out regardless.
    What Guild you in?
    Sign up for Chronicles of Elyria here don't forget to use my friend code - B4ACB3

Join the revolutionary MMO! 
  • LackingMMOLackingMMO Member RarePosts: 664
    Zultra said:
    What Guild you in?

Knights of Terror

We haven't found a mmo we all can get into for YEARS now, hope this one is it.
    Zultra said:
    What Guild you in?

Knights of Terror

Trust me, it will be :)
    Sign up for Chronicles of Elyria here don't forget to use my friend code - B4ACB3

Zultra said:
    What Guild you in?

Knights of Terror

Also don't forget to post on the forum - https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum

• 8bitgamer8bitgamer Member UncommonPosts: 6
    Can't throw money at my screen fast enough!!!! Hurry up ;)
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Zultra said:
    What Guild you in?

Knights of Terror

I think Shadowbane was last MMO that KoT was in full force. We've had pockets of guildies in most PVP MMOs, but nothing really stuck. Darkfall was a decent run at first, though. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• linadragonlinadragon Member RarePosts: 589
    edited October 2015
    danwest58 said:
    Sounds great reminds me of SWG and UO. Problem is the game is going to be P2W. You died, o just buy a new life. Have we not learned from AA that F2P/Cash Shops do not work at all with Sandbox MMOs? Either Make the game P2P or do not make the sandbox game at all.

Hybrid: Chronicles of Elyria utilizes a new business model never before seen in MMOs. CoE harkens back to the days of coin-op arcade games where players paid for lives. CoE is no different. Players buy a life, and can continue to play as long as their character lives. The game also supports an in-game exchange system allowing people to purchase in-game gold with USD.
    I think you need to look into your overall comprehension. Their business model is p2p, but it is not based around a monthly fee rather they base it around a "life" a life gives you around a year of play time (real life) if you are very careful and do not die at all. The next "life" puts your soul into a descendant of yours which gives them bonuses based on what you were good at in that life. You will get less bonuses if you take a lot of risk and die a lot and are not "good" at much comparatively... The game is the furthest thing from p2w... ___________________________________________ You seem the type that has this line of thinking that if a game does not have a monthly fee and is different it is somehow p2w which is not the case most of the time. Archeage is an example where people tended to over-react to what they thought was p2w.. The biggest complaint about Archeage was that you needed a subscription to own land and that made it P2W suddenly.... You can get by as a f2p in archeage IF you are part of a clan. Archage is NOT a game to play by yourself it is not designed to play solo like WoW is etc it is a group focused PVP focused game with some PVE and the like. ___________________________________________ The things that really ruined Archeage was faction imbalances on a good deal of servers and no real limits on guild size. People felt they had a god given right to hold land as well and if they couldn't get any while subbed they complained A LOT. Very little about archage is actually p2w. The main things people complained about from the cash shop were labor potions (this is really asinine as you could grab them from AH and a lot of people sold them on the AH...) which basically only improved the amount you could craft or gather which people somehow viewed as "winning" and then crystals etc that improved the "chance" of grade like improvements more or less... People over-reacted to A LOT of that stuff. ___________________________________________ This isn't grabbing the same kind of business model as archeage though this is a new take on a pay to play like business model. (comment display is annoying XD))
  • AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,801
    edited October 2015
    I have a question based on this comment: ----------- "Put differently, as you start training up a skill, the Soulborn Engine monitors your advancement. If it sees a larger number of people hitting your skill tier than expected, it will slow down progression of that skill globally across the server. This will result in higher tiers of that skill being more challenging to achieve going forward. In doing so, it ensures that distribution of skills remains within the above limits, guaranteeing that, for example, no more than 10% of people who train a specific skill will ever receive the Grandmaster title for that skill." "You should also note those skill tiers carry across reincarnations and it will, in general, take a lifetime to become a Master, multiple to become a Grandmaster, and several to become Legendary." ------------ Won't this: first tend to eventually weight skills to the top end over time as players advance... and then slow down skill gain for newer players because there's so much top end?

Once upon a time....

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• AlzuuleAlzuule Member UncommonPosts: 15
    edited October 2015
    It will be out next year and there will be a playable demo at pax east.

Amaranthar: It basicly means that at it well measure how fast people are progressing in a skill, and then make it so that the 1% fastest are likely to make it to legendary in a few lifetimes and so on. Everyone will advance at the same pace at any time per time spent improving a skill. Newer players might have a hard time catching up for sure, but as time progresses the souls that newcomers get will come with memories of past lives which means they will be able to progress in the skills that said souls have faster  startup to get to a decent level than the souls that were avaible at launch. So even if you dont play right at launch you will still have a chance at being competetive.

Danwest: The game wont be P2W, and the part about being able to buy ingame gold with USD is pretty much false, but as far as i remember its based on the fact that your character can work for you while offline, you can buy more complicated premade scripts to enable him to do certain things ( dont quote me on this ), however as almost everything requires player skill to be done in the game in terms of crafting and jobs you wont be able to compete with people who are actively playing, its just a way for people without much time but more money to not fall too far behind.

My friend code is: BC9081 if anyone found this helpful enough to warrant using it.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    edited October 2015
    Raquis said:
    all we ask for is a good game like skyrim that you can play with a view people,not a crap mmo! is that so hard to understand!
    Who are the "we" you mention? Or are you legion?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,801
    Alzuule said:
    It will be out next year and there will be a playable demo at pax east.

Amaranthar: It basicly means that at it well measure how fast people are progressing in a skill, and then make it so that the 1% fastest are likely to make it to legendary in a few lifetimes and so on. Everyone will advance at the same pace at any time per time spent improving a skill. Newer players might have a hard time catching up for sure, but as time progresses the souls that newcomers get will come with memories of past lives which means they will be able to progress in the skills that said souls have faster  startup to get to a decent level than the souls that were avaible at launch. So even if you dont play right at launch you will still have a chance at being competetive.

Danwest: The game wont be P2W, and the part about being able to buy ingame gold with USD is pretty much false, but as far as i remember its based on the fact that your character can work for you while offline, you can buy more complicated premade scripts to enable him to do certain things ( dont quote me on this ), however as almost everything requires player skill to be done in the game in terms of crafting and jobs you wont be able to compete with people who are actively playing, its just a way for people without much time but more money to not fall too far behind.

My friend code is: BC9081 if anyone found this helpful enough to warrant using it.
    I've got to say that I don't like either of those answers.
    The first, to me, I think will simply require some extra code that will likely be addressed to offset the issue. I'm not too concerned about it.
    The second addressed to Danwest, I'm not good with that idea at all. That is PtW, there's no way around it no matter how it's spun. With enough complaints I'm sure the powers that be will look at it from a different angle. So I'll be watching, as I like much about this game.

Once upon a time....

• BeowulfsamBeowulfsam Member UncommonPosts: 145
    "In an attempt to discourage endless grinding we instituted a system of diminishing returns"... I don't know, the system, as described, sounds exactly like a formula FOR grinding. Diminishing returns, check. Unattainable goal for 99%, check. All in all, I like the spirit of the idea, implementation, not so much I guess. Prediction (based on what we usually did at launch): if serious guilds get in a game, they seek any advantages possible, which usually means playing alphas and betas, gathering as much info and "advantages" as possible, then wrecking face at launch, leaving most of the not-so-passionate players in the dust. This game also has gold/cash exchange (bleh), which means ppl with 24/7 time and muchos dineros will, again, be that 1%. Dunno, it does sound like a nice game with decent ideas, but I also see a lot of potential frustrations for a lot of players.
    @Beowulfsam You're not wrong. With the system as it's implemented, if people choose to attempt to "level" their crafting skill the same way they've always done it, it could feel more grindy.

The idea is to discourage people from needing to level their crafting skill at all. By allowing people to advance individual item skill before the overall skill tree, it means people don't have to "level up" to be able to craft the item they want to.

Also, the system as implemented is no different than our world. The better you are at something, the more challenges you need to take on before you can learn more. It doesn't feel grindy in our world because people don't sit and do the same thing over and over. That's less a feature or mechanic of a game, and more about human behavior.

By providing a lot of fun, impactful stuff to do, we hope people don't just sit and make the same (or a small set of) items over and over. If they do, no matter what mechanics we implement, or how fun or challenging the skill system is, it'll still feel like a grind.
    Jeromy Walsh, 
    ChroniclesOfElyria.com