Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What are the main factors that cause disappointment with an MMO?

d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
edited October 2015 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
I edited the original question in the title and the post to make it not a troll bait thread. I guess the original was potentially too pointed.

Post edited by d_20 on

Comments

• davchadavcha Member UncommonPosts: 130
    edited October 2015
    Let me guess... SWG ?
  • d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    davcha said:
    Let me guess... SWG ?
    No. I never played it until the last week before they announced they were closing it. I did the free trial only.

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    none, yet  ,but one incoming I think 
  • SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107
    edited October 2015
    Edit: Oh wow, way for me to not read the title properly

I guess what I'm trying to say in my faulty post below, is that what disappointed me was not being loyal to the previous product, besides that i think most MMO disappointment stems from the fact that all MMO's feel so incredibly similar, there is very little variety on offer when trying a new mmo.

(-Post i made when not reading title properly below-)
    Definitely Guild wars 2, not that i disliked the game, i played it for a couple of months, but guild wars 1 was just so much better ( Personal opinion ofcourse! ) i was so excited knowing a sequal was coming, but guild wars 2 was nothing like It's predecessor.   

Some things it did better sure, but the weapon tied limited skills, complete removal of healers and tanks and boring dungeon content just killed it for me.  

Also, WvWvW felt completely pointless, but i havent played in quite some time now, so maybe thats all changed.
    From my own experience, it would be high expectations. No surprise there, I guess. I will save more specific factors till later.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    d_20 said:
    From my own experience, it would be high expectations. No surprise there, I guess. I will save more specific factors till later.
    I'd go further and say unrealistic expectations, always hoping the "next game" will be the magic savior for either yourself or everyone else always leads to disillusionment and anger when the title can't live up to the dream.

Watch when SC launches, while many will like it, a large number of folks will hate on it incessantly because it's missing something they wanted.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Personally, I feel that not having server unity and social consequences have made MMOs pretty disappointing. By server unity, I mean events been bound to the server, so like grouping, hunting etc. As for social consequence, I mean people can act like jerks and the possibility of you running into that person due to the lack of server unity in most games will be slim. Now sure there are some games with megaservers, but this ties in closely to a more personalized opinion of why I dont like many MMOs, and that's the separation of characters and classes. I've played FFXI for a third of my life so I'm a bit biased on how I like my class systems even though I quit about 2 years ago, meaning I'm still used to doing everything on one toon. Having 1 toon per class doesn't allow me to 'bond' (weird term I know) with my character and I tend to treat the characters as crafting unit rather than a 'main' character. Anyway, going back to server consequence, people can troll all day because they have multiple characters for stuff so their 'main' will never be impacted because they will either not do the troll acts on that character or if they do, they can just move servers without a steep penalty that XI used to have of waiting 90 days between transfers.
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    For me mostly when developers think we are retarded and have to dumb down things.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    edited October 2015
    I have watched many threads that pop up after a new game is released and I noticed this trend of complaining about every single aspect of a game until you complain yourself into a position where you can no longer justify playing it. It is like a hole you dig for yourself while standing in it and as you dig you become more entrenched and soon you are forced to believe some of the exaggerated complaints and pretty soon you question why you are even playing it.

I think we have lost the ability to simply enjoy anything not just games without focusing on what is wrong. We do not celebrate the right we just focus on the wrong. Everyone is generally unhappy with anything when you come to a game with this mentality naturally you're going to destroy any hope that you might like or heaven forbid enjoy it.

Innocence we once had is forever lost we will never again be happy to just play and I am just as guilty of this as the next guy but while many games do deserve some scorn we are heaping them rather heavily on some others that don't. Every game will not shock and awe you any more because you are 'old hats' what you need to do is look for a happy medium .

So the answer is our own unreasonable expectations in most cases.

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    Number 1 factor is the developers selling the game with our nostalgia in mind.  They know we want to recapture our youth, so they sell us what we want to hear.  In the end it's like buying an endless void... no matter how much you think you're getting it back, it's only an illusion which is quickly crushed.
  • AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    I was pretty annoyed when Vanguard shut down.

So I would say "shutting down" is the most major factor of disappointment of any MMO you like to play.

Second biggest disappointment is when a player you played a lot with leaves the game. Not really something the developers can do about.

Third biggest disappointment I can remember was Akande the butcher from the griffon quest in Vanguard. Oh my god was that guy awful. I tried to kill him for WEEKS. I never found out what the special trick about that mob is. So we only could outdps him, really. Most of the time we just wiped and wiped and wiped.

• Zarkin86Zarkin86 Member UncommonPosts: 122
    1. themepark
    2. tab target
    3. instances (lobby game at endgame raids blah)
  • Zarkin86Zarkin86 Member UncommonPosts: 122

Vardahoth said:
    It's all in my sig.
    Dude, awesome video. I watched it once. You are so right. only sucks that i didnt found mmos around that time. just look at L2 open world and compare it to todays themeparks.
  • josko9josko9 Member RarePosts: 577
    edited October 2015
    1. Sandbox (I'm yet to see a decent one)
    2. Tab-targetting combat (it's 2015 dammit)
    3. Cartoony graphics (ew)
    4. Not fully voiced quests (again 2015)
    5. Garbage quests and story (99% MMOs today)
    6. Structured PvP (Arena is fine)
    7. No Solo Endgame that equals Group Endgame
    8. Vertical Progression
    9. Anime/Eastern Theme
    10. MMOs rated ESRB Teen (13+)
    josko9 said:
    1. Sandbox (I'm yet to see a decent one)
    2. Tab-targetting combat (it's 2015 dammit)
    3. Cartoony graphics (ew)
    4. Not fully voiced quests (again 2015)
    5. Garbage quests and story (99% MMOs today)
    6. Structured PvP (Arena is fine)
    7. No Solo Endgame that equals Group Endgame
    8. Vertical Progression
    9. Anime/Eastern Theme
    10. MMOs rated ESRB Teen (13+)

1. Sandbox elements are nice, the more the better. No gaming on rails please. A good blend of sandbox and themepark elements like Vanguard is best.

2. Tab-Targetting is an absolute musthave. I dont want a reflex based game. I want a thinking based game. Give me tons of abilities and make it hard to choose the best one to use next.

3. Depends upon the style. I dont like WoW / cheap style, but Lineage 2 / stylized / Manga would be fine with me.

4. Uuuuh ... Okay, I'll try to attempt to care. Trying... still trying ... nope. Sorry, I just dont give a rats ass about fully voiced quests. Why the heck would that matter ?

5. Oh, but NOW you demand quality ? Your previous points sounded VERY different.

6. Ugh. Seriously ? Arena ? Boooooooooooooooooooooring !!! Give me real Lineage 2 castle sieges, now thats a real adrenaline rush !

7. How about no "endgame" in the first place. Make maxlevel something thats very hard to archieve. And start the actual game at level 1, not at maxlevel, will you please.

8. Another request for quality.

9. Sounds like you agree with me in #3.

10. Dont really care about rating.

Edit: Oh wow, way for me to not read the title properly

Actually, I edited the title, so you probably read it correctly the first time. :)

• Beatnik59Beatnik59 Member UncommonPosts: 2,413
    Routine...the number one factor is routine.

The feeling that the game is just rote, predictable routine can explain a lot in this industry...from churn and burn, to the appeal of the item store, to the malaise we all have.

Sadly enough, the things that we used to do to make the game break from the routine (roleplay, PvP, creative play) have all been either drummed out or abandoned as core reasons to play these things.  And if I were a developer, there would be good reasons to drum out or abandon them.

Because if a player cannot break the routine monotony on his own, then he'll have to go to the pay store in order to buy something that'll break the routine.

"...when it comes to pimping EVE I have little restraints."
    --Hellmar, CEO of CCP.

"It's like they took a gun, put it to their nugget sack and pulled the trigger over and over again, each time telling us how great it was that they were shooting themselves in the balls."
    --Exar_Kun on SWG's NGE

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Isn't that pretty simple .. just like all other games or entertainment .. it is not fun to me. 
    edited October 2015
    I see a few people saying that it is mainly the player's expectations which lead to disappointment. Of course, I agree and have said so, from my own experience. But is this 100% true all the time?

Can we assume that nothing has ever been "oversold" or "hyped"?

Also, from my own experience, I feel that my being disappointed with Warhammer Online and Age of Conan, for example, were not all my fault. Yes, I had high expectations. They were still disappointing products when they released and I bought them. But can we still put all the blame for disappointment on person who bought the game?

There is sometimes a gap between what we reasonably expect and what we get.

Post edited by d_20 on

• FomaldehydeJimFomaldehydeJim Member UncommonPosts: 673
    Over-hype and under-delivery.
  • ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,340
    I find some of these a bit confusing because you show innovations and people balk at them. As for what drove me away was expecting a virtual world yet getting some game with a grind to the next carrot.
    ArChWind — MMORPG.com Forums

If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.
  • VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    At d20 all disappointments are the result of unmet expectations, in this case player  expectations. Those expectations may have been influenced by hype and or statements by the devs. 
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • Xeno.phonXeno.phon Member UncommonPosts: 350
    edited October 2015
    For me its:

Global cool down timers
    Lack of immersive gameplay mechanisms like player housing or poorly made maps
    Publishers
    Promises not being kept on launch
    Poorly coordinated launches
    Monthly sub fee's for substandard games
    WOW clones... and WOW
    Click 1-5 to win style MMO
    Paywalls
    Toxic Communities
    Shallow gameplay that is obviously just trying to cover up a cash grab game
    Too Easy

Unfortunately my list covers about every mmo out today, the last MMO I truly enjoyed was probably ff11 and Vanguard SoH... though vanguard was a kind of guilty pleasure. I started the game at launch and fell in love with it. After Brad sold us all out and his programmers nuked the code the game was an absolute mess... but I still had love for it. Also loved Tabula Rasa, before Lord Dickish abandoned it to go to space.

The only thing worse than a bad developer, is a developer that can make a great game and destroy it with their ego and or greed.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    At d20 all disappointments are the result of unmet expectations, in this case player  expectations. Those expectations may have been influenced by hype and or statements by the devs. 

The devs may say stupid things but expectations are what the players create in their own minds.  Don't buy the hype and trust but verify.   If the dev say the game will be full of Mega-{fill in the blank}, don't expect it until you see it in real game play.  As consumers, we shouldn't be lemmings.

We need to ask real hard questions from the companies.  We need game websites to ask these questions as well. 

As consumers, we need to verify if feature-X is something they hope to get in vs they have actually coded, tested and played feature-x in the current up to date version of their game.

I know that is asking too much of gamers.  Currently there is a benefit they can talk about the hyped 'feature' and when it doesn't happen, they get hours of entertainment playing the disappointed victim.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

Over-hype and under-delivery.
    IMHO over-hype is not avoidable.

Because thats what reporters etc do, not the devs.

I heard so often from people who expected game X to have feature Y when nobody from the company themselves has ever promised that. It was just speculation from somebody else.