Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chronicles of Elyria | Character Roles and Skill Advancement | MMORPG

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited October 2015 in News & Features Discussion

imageChronicles of Elyria | Character Roles and Skill Advancement | MMORPG

Tired of having to raise your character level so you can craft? Chronicles of Elyria allows players to focus on just the areas they want. Finally, you can be a full-time crafter without having to gather or engage in combat.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• RhaegysRhaegys Member UncommonPosts: 29
    I find really interesting the way learning is handled and also how the tiers will be capped by the engine to meet a certain amount of population, in this way only those who truly wish to get Legendary will have to work very hard and so their craftsmanship will be much more valuable .
  • SabbicatSabbicat Member UncommonPosts: 290
    Rhaegys said:
    I find really interesting the way learning is handled ...
    Yes. You can learn by observation, practicing, being taught and by teaching others. How cool is that.
  • danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    edited October 2015
    Sounds great reminds me of SWG and UO. Problem is the game is going to be P2W. You died, o just buy a new life. Have we not learned from AA that F2P/Cash Shops do not work at all with Sandbox MMOs? Either Make the game P2P or do not make the sandbox game at all.

Hybrid: Chronicles of Elyria utilizes a new business model never before seen in MMOs. CoE harkens back to the days of coin-op arcade games where players paid for lives. CoE is no different. Players buy a life, and can continue to play as long as their character lives. The game also supports an in-game exchange system allowing people to purchase in-game gold with USD.
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    edited October 2015
    I don't know about this game. I like the concept but the more I read about the closer it gets to The realm of "too good to be truth"
    With all those original features they list, I have the strong impression that you need a blockbuster budget to pull it off.
    I also think what they are offering is way to close to real life, they should keep in mind that this should be a game after all.
    Even though I like a realistic experience, I don't want to swap my real life fir a virtual one.
    They really need to find a good compromise between a realistic world and a game.

• OntblodOntblod Member UncommonPosts: 195
    Finally a MMO with graphics I will truly enjoy, now waiting for some gameplay videos and
    hoping this feeling will remain.
  • nimander99nimander99 Member UncommonPosts: 288
    I gotta be honest the whole "aging" concept is pretty dumb and is a major turn off for what otherwise looks to be a very interesting game...
  • JeromyWalshJeromyWalsh Soulbound StudiosMember UncommonPosts: 134
    danwest58 said:
    Sounds great reminds me of SWG and UO. Problem is the game is going to be P2W. You died, o just buy a new life. Have we not learned from AA that F2P/Cash Shops do not work at all with Sandbox MMOs? Either Make the game P2P or do not make the sandbox game at all.

Hybrid: Chronicles of Elyria utilizes a new business model never before seen in MMOs. CoE harkens back to the days of coin-op arcade games where players paid for lives. CoE is no different. Players buy a life, and can continue to play as long as their character lives. The game also supports an in-game exchange system allowing people to purchase in-game gold with USD.
    I see a lot of people claiming CoE is P2W, and it honestly baffles me. Was Ms. Pac-Man P2W? How about Centipede? Mortal Kombat?

Everyone agrees those games weren't P2W... they were P2P, and so is Chronicles of Elyria. In most current MMOs you P2P by either paying a subscription, or buying an expansion - neither of which have anything to do with skill. No matter how bad or good you are at the game you get to play just for paying. (Since it has nothing to do with skill, doesn't that mean subscription games are actually all P2W?)

Chronicles of Elyria on the other hand charges you to play, but depending on your skill you get to play more or less. Similar to Mortal Kombat, Tetris, Ms. Pac-man, etc.. the better you are, the more time before you must put more quarters in to continue. So if anything, CoE isn't P2W.... it's W2P.

As for the FAQ entry and the "exchange market," we're working on re-wording that as it's confusing to people. CoE values time and money equally. Most MMOs today assume everyone in the world has unlimited time. Nobody complains if it takes 20 hours of farming to gather reagents for cool weapons. But allow someone to pay $20 for the same weapon and suddenly the game is P2W. 

The reality is some (most) people have jobs, families, and other interests that prevent them from spending 20 hours a week at the PC in order to stay competitive. This creates an unfair advantage for people who have significant time to contribute to the game, making it difficult for the more casual gamer to stay even.

CoE's solution to that is to allow players to buy an optional subscription or one-off purchase in-game which gives them access to certain higher-paying professions or training which they can do while they're offline. This provides 0 benefit to people who are going to be online anyways, and only provides a benefit to people who are offline. Furthermore, because it's time based, it caps the amount of money, skills, etc... a person can build while offline.

So it doesn't give people who put forth a bit of money an advantage, it helps them stay competitive with those who can afford to spend more time in the game.

Between requiring skill to continue to play, and offering offline benefits for people who can't spend as much time in the game as others, CoE is anything but P2W. It's a thoughtful new approach to game monetization that encourages skill building will also being accepting of casual players.
    Jeromy Walsh, 
    Owner/CEO of Soulbound Studios
    ChroniclesOfElyria.com
  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    sounds really cool
  • AlzuuleAlzuule Member UncommonPosts: 15
    Rhaegys said:
    I find really interesting the way learning is handled and also how the tiers will be capped by the engine to meet a certain amount of population, in this way only those who truly wish to get Legendary will have to work very hard and so their craftsmanship will be much more valuable .
    Agreed! This game is shaping very nicely.
  • ZultraZultra Member UncommonPosts: 385
    ste2000 said:
    I don't know about this game. I like the concept but the more I read about the closer it gets to The realm of "too good to be truth"
    With all those original features they list, I have the strong impression that you need a blockbuster budget to pull it off.
    I also think what they are offering is way to close to real life, they should keep in mind that this should be a game after all.
    Even though I like a realistic experience, I don't want to swap my real life fir a virtual one.
    They really need to find a good compromise between a realistic world and a game.
    All the screenshots are all in-game no photoshop.
    Sign up for Chronicles of Elyria here don't forget to use my friend code - B4ACB3

Join the revolutionary MMO! 
  • SilavenSilaven Member UncommonPosts: 13
    edited October 2015
    forensics and investigative skills...I can be agent Gibbs >u>
  • UnGodlyVengeanceUnGodlyVengeance Member CommonPosts: 1
    edited October 2015
    This is a great write up this week, love the percentages that come along and are very balanced and realistic. As well "crafting practicing doesn't waste the resources during practicing", like if you fail in attempt. Additionally, Very good mechanics with this: " If it sees a larger number of people hitting your skill tier than expected, it will slow down progression of that skill globally across the server."
  • JamesGoblinJamesGoblin Member RarePosts: 1,242
    danwest58 said:

I see a lot of people claiming CoE is P2W, and it honestly baffles me. Was Ms. Pac-Man P2W? How about Centipede? Mortal Kombat?

Everyone agrees those games weren't P2W... they were P2P, and so is Chronicles of Elyria. In most current MMOs you P2P by either paying a subscription, or buying an expansion - neither of which have anything to do with skill. No matter how bad or good you are at the game you get to play just for paying. (Since it has nothing to do with skill, doesn't that mean subscription games are actually all P2W?)

Chronicles of Elyria on the other hand charges you to play, but depending on your skill you get to play more or less. Similar to Mortal Kombat, Tetris, Ms. Pac-man, etc.. the better you are, the more time before you must put more quarters in to continue. So if anything, CoE isn't P2W.... it's W2P.

As for the FAQ entry and the "exchange market," we're working on re-wording that as it's confusing to people. CoE values time and money equally. Most MMOs today assume everyone in the world has unlimited time. Nobody complains if it takes 20 hours of farming to gather reagents for cool weapons. But allow someone to pay $20 for the same weapon and suddenly the game is P2W. 

The reality is some (most) people have jobs, families, and other interests that prevent them from spending 20 hours a week at the PC in order to stay competitive. This creates an unfair advantage for people who have significant time to contribute to the game, making it difficult for the more casual gamer to stay even.

CoE's solution to that is to allow players to buy an optional subscription or one-off purchase in-game which gives them access to certain higher-paying professions or training which they can do while they're offline. This provides 0 benefit to people who are going to be online anyways, and only provides a benefit to people who are offline. Furthermore, because it's time based, it caps the amount of money, skills, etc... a person can build while offline.

So it doesn't give people who put forth a bit of money an advantage, it helps them stay competitive with those who can afford to spend more time in the game.

Between requiring skill to continue to play, and offering offline benefits for people who can't spend as much time in the game as others, CoE is anything but P2W. It's a thoughtful new approach to game monetization that encourages skill building will also being accepting of casual players.
    @JeromyWalsh dropping by and answering couple questions I asked here would be appreciated - http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/440447/plans-for-future
     W...aaagh?
  • Mors-SubitaMors-Subita Member UncommonPosts: 517
    So in the contracts one they said that contract writing would be a specialization of the scribe profession... So say I take scribe with contract writing specialization and Deviant with Forging... Will that allow me to forge contracts? If so, can they be submitted to be enforced? Do they automatically succeed, or is there a chance that the deception can be discovered? If so, how? Do you require a sample of the writing to be forged first(i.e. enter into another contract with the person to get the sample to make your forged contract)? What about forging broader contracts? Royal/Noble edicts? Warrants/bounties?

• DilectosDilectos Member CommonPosts: 5
    So you can become a teacher in the game, and while teaching you develop your own skill aswell. Sounds amazing
  • sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458
    I hope these people can make it work, I have yet to read anything about this games concepts that I don't like. I think this has a shot at being something finally that truly deserves to be called "next generation".
    So in the contracts one they said that contract writing would be a specialization of the scribe profession... So say I take scribe with contract writing specialization and Deviant with Forging... Will that allow me to forge contracts? If so, can they be submitted to be enforced? Do they automatically succeed, or is there a chance that the deception can be discovered? If so, how? Do you require a sample of the writing to be forged first(i.e. enter into another contract with the person to get the sample to make your forged contract)? What about forging broader contracts? Royal/Noble edicts? Warrants/bounties?
    I guess you can try to forge a contract, but then we were told that each participant of the contract has a copy of it... so if it doesn't much someone is going to have a problem and then probably the law needs to be involved. You will need a copy of the contract to forge it. And contracts can be stolen and I guess replaced so you will first have to get hold of it and exchange it.
    edited October 2015
    saker said:
    I hope these people can make it work, I have yet to read anything about this games concepts that I don't like. I think this has a shot at being something finally that truly deserves to be called "next generation".
    I agree. If they pull through then there is no excuse for the creative laziness other developers have had for making more cookie cutter mmos :3
    I gotta be honest the whole "aging" concept is pretty dumb and is a major turn off for what otherwise looks to be a very interesting game...
    Why do you dislike the aging concept?
  • SouzouMiguelSouzouMiguel Soulbound StudiosMember UncommonPosts: 17
    Silaven said:
    Or Fox Mulder, minus the aliens.

-Miguel
    Chronicles of Elyria Community Manager

Silaven said:
    Or Fox Mulder, minus the aliens.
    Or Horatio Caine B) yeaaaaaaaaaa........
  • RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029
    edited October 2015
    all we ask for is a good game like skyrim that you can play with a view people,not a crap mmo! is that so hard to understand!
  • acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878
    Sounds good... assuming of course that skills are useful at lower tiers?

You mention MMOs requiring players to be a bit of everything; I actually like this play style, as it gives you a variety of things to do. Don't feel like adventuring today? Go work on crafting / gathering / playing the markets / etc. instead. What I don't like about it though is that, generally, unless you are a master of X you may as well not bother because you can't do anything useful. Crafting is a typical example of this, where useless you have X level of crafting (and the right recipe) you simply can not even attempt to craft anything useful.

What I would like to see is a system where you can be primarily an adventurer, but also have some skill in crafting, and, even though you may not be an expert, you can still craft yourself a useful sword. It won't be the worlds best sword, and it may not be much good at slaying a dragon (magical sword of dragon slaying required) but it is still a well balance, sharp bit of steel with a good handle that is more than capable of taking the head off the next bandit you meet.

• TeshiKOTeshiKO Member UncommonPosts: 5
    @Saker I hope it works too. I really like the crafting system here. As a crafter, a person that really likes that type of system, it's great to see a game that hasn't tossed it in as a secondary concern. However, I think what will happen, as happens with every other game, is that suppliers will jack up the prices of basic materials to the point that no one can get anything done.