Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mark Hamill to Star in Squadron 42 & CitizenCon Videos | Star Citizen | MMORPG.com

Comments

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Realizer said:

Just because you (collectively) wanted it, doesn't mean it shows any kind of financial responsibility over this project. As I have said before, I have no horse in this race. But to me.......This is truly irresponsible on behalf of CIG.
    then why don´t you travel back in time to November 2012 and tell them not to put up a celebrity actor stretch goal in their campaign?

Or even better, travel back further to 199x and tell Chris Roberts he better not hire celebrity actors for the entire Wing Commander game series that sold millions of copies.

Maybe go tell JJ Abrams he shouldn´t hire Harrison Ford and Mark Hamill in the new Star Wars parts, because there are cheaper options like soap opera actors.

:p
    You do realize this is a textbook straw-man right? Not only that, you've added in hyperbole to spice it up.
    Your argument has ZERO to do with whether or not CIG overstepped their budget for SC.......Not one thing.
     Well I don't want to seem like I'm gunning for you or anything, but his reply is not a "textbook strawman" which by definition would be to misrepresent your argument (put words in your mouth). All he did was express a point albeit sarcastically, but the point is the stretch goal for Hollywood actors was long before even the change in scope to the overall game.

There would have been Hollywood actors even if the game turned out to be only Squadron 42. It's practically an expectation for a game by Roberts. So to say it's irresponsible, would be ignoring the fact it was promised. Is it expensive? Sure, but does that make it irresponsible even if it was budgeted for? I can't say it does. 

I think your point is fair that things need to be sacrificed in order to get it done. With that I'd say we might have seen what it was yesterday at CitizenCon. The sacrifice being the game is taking longer than expected, it had it's 3 year anniversary yesterday. That being said though, they have announced we will have alpha 2.0 which will be a scaled down in size version of what's to come. While we play that, the other star systems will continue development. So they have essentially given in to the impatient crowd. 

Edit: The alpha 2.0 for clarification was promised to be a true alpha with all the core mechanics available in one playable portion. Missions, PvP, Planet Systems, Economy, Flight, FPS.
    Actually, it is. A strwaman is more of a switch argument where you alter the point and make the argument about something you can win but wasn't part of the initial topic.. Now,I don't want to get into semantics over what defines an argument.  If I mislabeled it,then I'll stand corrected. But his argument as well as everyone else's on this page have absolutely nothing to do with whether or not CIG had any business even considering Mark Hamill to begin with. The second CR uttered the words......"You know what?........Mark Hamill would be awesome" Someone should have slapped him. Because even back then, putting that in as a Stretch Goal, means something else was dropped.

Look at SWTOR. You can't tell me that the reason the game was launched incomplete and with one of the shortest player retention rates a month later, was due to BW over spending on VA. But EA was invested in Star Wars. They weren't about to let that go. Who's going to bail CIG if that doesn't go well? You?

The very idea in a crowd funded project should never even have been entertained.
    Honest question:

Do we actually even have the real figure on what SWTOR actually cost to produce? Or is it still all speculation? 

For me personally, I didn't even make it close to level cap in SWTOR, i just found the game boring, and for me it was mostly the game's overall design, the VA didn't even enter the equation.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    @GeezerGamer ;  Chris did have a reason to think "Mark Hamill."  Mark has done voice acting for chris before.  in his other video games.  they have a history of doing this together. 
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Just because you (collectively) wanted it, doesn't mean it shows any kind of financial responsibility over this project. As I have said before, I have no horse in this race. But to me.......This is truly irresponsible on behalf of CIG.
    then why don´t you travel back in time to November 2012 and tell them not to put up a celebrity actor stretch goal in their campaign?

Or even better, travel back further to 199x and tell Chris Roberts he better not hire celebrity actors for the entire Wing Commander game series that sold millions of copies.

Maybe go tell JJ Abrams he shouldn´t hire Harrison Ford and Mark Hamill in the new Star Wars parts, because there are cheaper options like soap opera actors.

You do realize this is a textbook straw-man right? Not only that, you've added in hyperbole to spice it up.
    Your argument has ZERO to do with whether or not CIG overstepped their budget for SC.......Not one thing.
    Clearly you don´t even understand what a strawman argument is. Stop using terms you don´t understand. No. What I posted is a textbook destruction of your kindergarten question if celebrity motion capturing and voiceacting in video games pays off or not. News@11, it does. Guess why EA advertised COD Advanced Warfare with Kevin Spacey. Because they didn´t listen to GeezerGamer´s incredibly insightful posts on some forum?  Who are you, again? What are your credentials which are supposed to give weight to your outlandish opinions?

Just so we are clear on facts:
    (just from the wiki)
    straw man is a common form of argument and is an informal fallacy based on giving the impression of refuting an opponent's argument, while actually refuting an argument which was not advanced by that opponent.[1]

My argument was that CIG might not be able to afford profesisonal VA.

Your rebuttle was "It was in the stretch goal"
    How does this answer the question "Can CIG really afford this?"

You followed up with "Wing Commander had VA"

You followed up again with JJ Abrams hired Harrison Ford for Star Wars

What did you think Strawman meant?
  • Squadron24Squadron24 Member UncommonPosts: 121
    you know what´s funny? The people are still talking about "voiceovers" and they don´t even get the difference to "full performance capture".
    Enlist and reserve your name for Star Citizen/Squadron 42 with my referral link and get 5,000 free game credits   https://robertsspaceindustries.com/enlist?referral=STAR-RRVV-M5TH   (gives free stuff to both of us!)  B) 
  • RealizerRealizer Member RarePosts: 724
    edited October 2015
    Realizer said:

Well I don't want to seem like I'm gunning for you or anything, but his reply is not a "textbook strawman" which by definition would be to misrepresent your argument (put words in your mouth). All he did was express a point albeit sarcastically, but the point is the stretch goal for Hollywood actors was long before even the change in scope to the overall game.

There would have been Hollywood actors even if the game turned out to be only Squadron 42. It's practically an expectation for a game by Roberts. So to say it's irresponsible, would be ignoring the fact it was promised. Is it expensive? Sure, but does that make it irresponsible even if it was budgeted for? I can't say it does. 

I think your point is fair that things need to be sacrificed in order to get it done. With that I'd say we might have seen what it was yesterday at CitizenCon. The sacrifice being the game is taking longer than expected, it had it's 3 year anniversary yesterday. That being said though, they have announced we will have alpha 2.0 which will be a scaled down in size version of what's to come. While we play that, the other star systems will continue development. So they have essentially given in to the impatient crowd. 

Edit: The alpha 2.0 for clarification was promised to be a true alpha with all the core mechanics available in one playable portion. Missions, PvP, Planet Systems, Economy, Flight, FPS.
    Actually, it is. A strwaman is more of a switch argument where you alter the point and make the argument about something you can win but wasn't part of the initial topic.. Now,I don't want to get into semantics over what defines an argument.  If I mislabeled it,then I'll stand corrected. But his argument as well as everyone else's on this page have absolutely nothing to do with whether or not CIG had any business even considering Mark Hamill to begin with. The second CR uttered the words......"You know what?........Mark Hamill would be awesome" Someone should have slapped him. Because even back then, putting that in as a Stretch Goal, means something else was dropped.

Look at SWTOR. You can't tell me that the reason the game was launched incomplete and with one of the shortest player retention rates a month later, was due to BW over spending on VA. But EA was invested in Star Wars. They weren't about to let that go. Who's going to bail CIG if that doesn't go well? You?

The very idea in a crowd funded project should never even have been entertained.
     Now you're reaching and basing your argument on assumptions. You don't know what Mark Hamill costs, you assume he's crazy expensive. Yet he does features for The Flash on CW, I doubt they paid him very much since we're making assumptions. I'd also be willing to wager Gary Oldman was the most expensive, and even then he's no Morgan Freeman. 

PS. A straw man is logical fallacy that occurs when a debater intentionally misrepresents an opponent's position to make the opponent's arguments appear easily defeated.

An example would be, so you're saying because it's not a normal game voice actor that it's irresponsible? See that's something you never really said. All the other points we've given though, are direct rebuttals to your hollywood actors are irresponsible because something needs sacrificed. We're saying it's not irresponsible  because it was budgeted for specifically, so we knew about this already.  (This, being whatever is sacrificed)

Also the swtor argument is a non sequitur, you can't assume this equals that, when they aren't the same.

Edit: (lol) You beat me to the wiki link but it seems you didn't grasp it fully. 
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,986

You still seem confused.  Either intentionally or not.  The voice acting announced was for Squadron 42 which is the single player (perhaps + a few friends) game being produced alongside Star Citizen.  Many, many successful single player (or small multiplayer) games use voice acting to enhance the immersion.  Even some very VERY successful Kickstarters.  Divitiny Original Sin?   What a great Kickstarted game.. also had voice acting and actually delayed launch to add it.  Pillars of Eternity?  Yup.. that was Kickstarted and had voice acting. Both games are pretty widely hailed as smashing successes...

So your claim that this should "never even have been entertained" in a crowdfunded game is quite confusing based on the proven success of not only the Wing Commander game it is based on but the other successful Kickstarters that included voice acting...

Again... your confusion seems to be not understanding the difference between Squadron 42 which is a new game made along the lines of Wing Commander (which had voice acting with Mark Hamill and JRD) and the budget of it's sister project Star Citizen.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    edited October 2015
    laserit said:
    Honest question:

Do we actually even have the real figure on what SWTOR actually cost to produce? Or is it still all speculation? 

For me personally, I didn't even make it close to level cap in SWTOR, i just found the game boring, and for me it was mostly the game's overall design, the VA didn't even enter the equation.
    The cost of the initial SWTOR production is likely somewhere above 200-250 million US$ + marketing.
    Marketing is insanely expensive for these big studios, in some cases equal to the actual development costs.

Star Citizen is not quite on par with the very biggest of productions (in terms of funding), but it is approaching similar ballpark figures.

One important thing to note is that many AAA studios already have most of the infrastructure set up. Even if they need to rehire completely new teams, they still have the foundations set up in many cases. With the way CIG is expanding, they likely need to invest a lot into building out the foundations.
  • RealizerRealizer Member RarePosts: 724
     Also, it's fair to point out in regards to your who will bail them out question. As other game investors have pointed out in other forums, SC has almost 1 million recorded backers and $91 million in customer funded cash. They have already proven market viability, if it ever comes down to needing more big money investors, I don't think they'd really have a problem with that. 
    This will be an epic troll meltdown in approximately 1.5 years. SC will release, it will be glorious, it will sell let´s say another million copies at launch. Then it will go to steam and sell another million. A year later it will go to PS5 and Xbox Two.
    Then I´m going to link up all the shit that has been said in 2015. It will be glorious.
    Enlist and reserve your name for Star Citizen/Squadron 42 with my referral link and get 5,000 free game credits   https://robertsspaceindustries.com/enlist?referral=STAR-RRVV-M5TH   (gives free stuff to both of us!)  B) 
  • ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    Well voice acting or just plain acting cannot overcome the deficits of bad design. If the base game isn't a deep, kick ass experience the money for cinematic stuff is just a loss. I don't think that is necessarily related to the rest of the game, just fluff. if the base game is good the cinematics ride that train. 
    MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
    Archlyte said:
    Well voice acting or just plain acting cannot overcome the deficits of bad design. If the base game isn't a deep, kick ass experience the money for cinematic stuff is just a loss. I don't think that is necessarily related to the rest of the game, just fluff. if the base game is good the cinematics ride that train. 
    Absolutely true.  It's just another feature like deformable terrain or collision detection or a great music score.   They can help a game or hurt a game but none will make a bad game good.

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• TyrianPrimeTyrianPrime Member UncommonPosts: 107
    And this is the exact reason we backed this project, this is just the beginning of a new saga! Perhaps not only for the pc, but for a tv series, or even a movie, but clearly, if there was a man to make a great Star Wars game that would only be CR, as i think i might overheard Gary said he is the Lucas of the gaming industry, correct me if wrong. And Gillian...what a fantastic surprise...she is a goddess! This is what we dreamt, not just a pew pew, or just a rushed out space flop by "corporate stupid suits" that have never played a space sim... In Chris Roberts We Trust!

Fully supporting STAR CITIZEN by the Legendary Grandmaster of the Space Game Genre, Chris Roberts.For Captain Eisen's memory.....For Squadron 42...For the Space Genre....For the PC....I pledge!
    Star Citizen
    TOG Star Citizen-Join Us

Archlyte said:
    Absolutely true.  It's just another feature like deformable terrain or collision detection or a great music score.   They can help a game or hurt a game but none will make a bad game good.

I never got any impression that game design is the issue. In fact should this game release with the experience that is currently being promised, I'l put up a big old post saying....YEP, you guys were right all along then go play the game. I hope it does succeed. Then I'll have a new home online.

I just can't buy into the promise. From day 1, something has seemed too good to be true. And that, more than anything has me skeptical. The good news is, If I am wrong, then we all win.
    Torval said:
    @GeezerGamer I was a pretty big skeptic of big name voice acting before I played ESO. Just like a movie it's a combination of the acting, writing, directing, and editing. The voice acting is ESO is awesome and adds a lot.

I do think you're off the mark with calling it irresponsible. It could have been irresponsible if they had tried to shoe horn it in later, but it was planned. Quality voice acting had been a part of the Wing Commander series and is probably one of the more fixed costs in development.
    Well, I hope you are right.
    I'll have no issue at a later date, being brought back to this thread, and being told........"See, it's all good."
    Archlyte said:

I never got any impression that game design is the issue. In fact should this game release with the experience that is currently being promised, I'l put up a big old post saying....YEP, you guys were right all along then go play the game. I hope it does succeed. Then I'll have a new home online.

I just can't buy into the promise. From day 1, something has seemed too good to be true. And that, more than anything has me skeptical. The good news is, If I am wrong, then we all win.
    Hey I have my own doubts about Star Citizen... but again... Squadron 42 is NOT Star Citizen.  Chris Roberts HAS delivered Wing Commander previously.  He HAS incorporated voice acting and motion capture in his games previously.  He HAS actually used some of these very same actors.   Wing Commander 3 had a budget of $4M.  

All that said, Squadron 42 could still fail because the game play may stink.  But it won't be because of the voice acting though, because that is INTEGRAL to what Squadron 42 (and Wing Commander) are trying to deliver:  An interactive movie like experience.  This is why I find your posts so confusing because you make comments like "should this game release with the experience that is currently being promised..." but also post about how voice acting should "never even have been entertained" in a crowdfunded game.  That is a basic and integral feature of Squadron 42.   I honestly believe your issue is continued confusion between Squadron 42 and Star Citizen.  Squadron 42 is a separate game that takes place in the Star Citizen universe.

Perhaps this will help:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/squadron42

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585

Clearly you don´t even understand what a strawman argument is. Stop using terms you don´t understand. No. What I posted is a textbook destruction of your kindergarten question if celebrity motion capturing and voiceacting in video games pays off or not. News@11, it does. Guess why EA advertised COD Advanced Warfare with Kevin Spacey. Because they didn´t listen to GeezerGamer´s incredibly insightful posts on some forum?  Who are you, again? What are your credentials which are supposed to give weight to your outlandish opinions?

Just so we are clear on facts:
    (just from the wiki)
    straw man is a common form of argument and is an informal fallacy based on giving the impression of refuting an opponent's argument, while actually refuting an argument which was not advanced by that opponent.[1]

My argument was that CIG might not be able to afford profesisonal VA.

Your rebuttle was "It was in the stretch goal"

they budgeted for it.  it was in a stretch goal.  why do people assume that cig have no idea what they are doing?
    muffins89 said:

they budgeted for it.  it was in a stretch goal.  why do people assume that cig have no idea what they are doing?
    they have people who have worked on 45 different triple A titles which all sold millions and millions of copes BUT they have assembled under a new studio so that must totally mean they are DOOMED!
    hahaha

Srsy I´m having  a good laugh out of this meltdown. It´s FANTASTIC promotion for the game, they could almost have instigated themselves for presss promo. This game will be so famous at release it will sell as crazy as GTA V for PC.

and when sales start dropping a year after releases.. well put out a DLC... or put it on Steam.... or make a console version for Xbox Two and PS5
  • darker70darker70 Member UncommonPosts: 804
    unclemo said:
    Hopefully the Citizen Con presentations will shut up Derek Smart and all the naysayers for a while. SC is coming along just fine and today's demo was nothing short of awe inspiring.
    Err,no The vile little scrot went on the offensive on Twitter as Sandi was turning into an emotional wreck on stage as this as clearly affected her, hope he is proud of himself now !!
    p>
  • darker70darker70 Member UncommonPosts: 804
    azarhal said:
    Precusor said:
    Wonder how much that cost....

Though I've got to admit my first reaction was, 'Oooh, cool!'

This was an early stretch goal and I think it was 1 million.

edit; talking about the actors.

CR said it was a 66 day shoot.  There is no way on this planet that the cost to do this was cheap.  I'm guessing $10M-$20M to pull that off.
    I doubt it cost that much. While it might have took them 66 days to shoot, they didn't have to do any detailed make-up, costumes, props or sets which not only cost huge amount of money, but also take a lot of time to do  (and time is money). They didn't have to do location filming (aka filming outside) which is more expensive than filming in a studio. They had a very small crew of actors to deal with and nobody is paid movie salaries to do voice acting, even if its include mo-capping.
    Also Chris Roberts directed,with other CIG staff as the crew and Sandi was pretty much a freebee in the acting sense,also would not suprise me if Chris cut a deal he may have used a percentage of future sales in the contracts of the actors it's been done before in the biz.
    p>
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    I have always loved Mark Hamill's Joker. He does voices so very well.
    Chamber of Chains
  • DataDayDataDay Member UncommonPosts: 1,538
    edited October 2015
    Burntvet said:
    Famous voice actors do not, a good game make.
    Good thing they are not just voice actors then. Next gen titles are capable of using real people, especially actors, as the source for motion capture and facial animation. So what this does is allow the actors to actually exist in the game itself, they offer more than mere voices... but expressions, persona's..ect, their acting becomes fully used in the game. Mix in known names and you not only have quality that goes with their expertise but also something much easier to market/showcase appeal.

If they have the resources to get away with it, then its a good move especially if they can get more sales out of it to make up for the cost.

Regardless, these actors WILL in fact add greatly to the enjoyment of the game... and the actual emotional response we can get from the characters they represent.

Psycked said:
    Rofl more wasted player $$$ on non game development... So glad I waited just to buy the game once it's out haha
    Define game development? The motion capture and facial rigs they get out of it do fall under game development. Now if you are referring just to the challenge mechanics that designers can cook up, then yes they are different areas completely.

To put it in perspective, imagine your argument getting thrown at say a sports game where they do motion capture + face scans to recreate real people in the game. These directly contribute to the immersion and visual representation of the game itself. The same can be said for what SC is doing, only instead of athletes being used to make the game, they are using actors know for sci-fi and fantasy roles.

This is an important step in the next generation of game development, especially when you start to toss in VR.

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    DocBrody said:
    AH YOU WERE FIRST! !! You win again mmorpg image
    That render is horrible though...
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    hfztt said:
    That render is horrible though...
    That is not a render video.    :-) 

That is in game engine, although with higher polygon counts than what you will see in the normal game (it is explained in detail in the livestream from Manchester).

Have fun
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Erillion said:
    Ozmodan said:
    Perfect example of what happened to 38 studios.  
    Can you go into more detail on how CIG secured a $75 million loan guarantee from Rhode Island tax payers money from that state's Economic Development Corporation (EDC) ... or anything similar from any other state ?

Just trying to understand where the similarity to 38 studios is.

Have fun

If the similarities are not completely obvious to you, then I feel sorry for you.  They have almost 300 on the team, do you have any clue how fast that many people can blow through the money they have collected so far?  You have no clue how a project like this consumes cash.  Not even going into how it is almost impossible to manage a team that large without a large management team in place, which they don't have.

I could be laughing it up over all the people who threw money at this project, but I am not.  I just feel sad that it is doomed to failure.   If they had just stuck to the basic game, they might have had a chance, but Chris had to add his ridiculous stretch goals.  

If you are really lucky you might end up with half finished game like Vanguard, but I don't see any publishers out there willing to bail them out.
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    edited October 2015
    Ozmodan said:
    If the similarities are not completely obvious to you, then I feel sorry for you.  They have almost 300 on the team, do you have any clue how fast that many people can blow through the money they have collected so far?  You have no clue how a project like this consumes cash.  Not even going into how it is almost impossible to manage a team that large without a large management team in place, which they don't have.

I could be laughing it up over all the people who threw money at this project, but I am not.  I just feel sad that it is doomed to failure.   If they had just stuck to the basic game, they might have had a chance, but Chris had to add his ridiculous stretch goals.  

If you are really lucky you might end up with half finished game like Vanguard, but I don't see any publishers out there willing to bail them out.
    I have been a project manager for the last two decades, in various industries. I have a pretty good idea what a team of 300 people plus the necessary infrastructure costs. The data specific for the gaming industry is available online  (average salaries, average overhead cost) ... so its not that hard to make a guestimate. You will find just such a calculation done by me in other threads here on mmorpg.com

Yes, I have a clue how a project consumes cash. Yes, i have a clue how a worldwide distributed team at various branch offices is being managed. And no, IMHO doing it with a large management team is usually not the best option.

Did CIG spent most of 2013 building up its infrastructure and team ? Yes.

Did CIG have  some unplanned employee turnover, including management ? Yes

Did CIG have some development dead ends ? Yes  (like every other gaming project)

But ...

Does CIG have a project timeline with milestones ? Yes  (milestones may move, but thats not unusual in PM)

Does CIG have a financial departement looking at the money ? Yes  (see/listen to recent INN interview)

Does CIG team have some very experienced personnel ? Yes

Does CIG team have full dedication to the project ? Oh Yes.

And i am still waiting for your explanation where CIG has taken 75 M$ taxpayer money like 38 Studios did. Or where CIG has ANY open loans that need to be paid back at a certain time.

Have fun