Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mark Hamill to Star in Squadron 42 & CitizenCon Videos | Star Citizen | MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited October 2015 in News & Features Discussion
imageGillian Anderson, Mark Hamill to Star in Squadron 42 | Star Citizen | MMORPG.com

During today's CitizenCon, Chris Roberts and the Star Citizen team unveiled the all-star cast of Squadron 42, the single player portion of the game. Fans will recognize such luminaries as Gary Oldman, Gillian Anderson, Mark Hamill and John Rhys-Davies.

In addition, a new Squadron 42 site has been unveiled to give potential players much more information about the game....though it currently sports an "Access Denied" page at the moment. Let us know if you manage to get in!

See what it's all about on the Star Citizen: Squadron 42 site.

You can also check out the Ark Star Map to learn more about the universe.

Most importantly, check out the CitizenCon videos released today to learn more about Gary Oldman's role in the game, as well as to get a great look at the work in progress that is Star Citizen.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Post edited by SBFord on

Comments

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    edited October 2015
    The Ark Starmap is now live on the website. Looks amazing. :)
  • DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    edited October 2015
    AH YOU WERE FIRST! !! You win again mmorpg image
  • DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    edited October 2015
    10 HOURS performance capture story alone. Good bye Bioware. Good bye EA. Nice knowing you. what did you say, Battlefront has no Single player campaign, no one wants that? okay
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    Gary Oldman FTW ! Have fun
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395
    Wonder how much that cost....

Though I've got to admit my first reaction was, 'Oooh, cool!'

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589
    edited October 2015

This was an early stretch goal and I think it was 1 million.

edit; talking about the actors.
  • DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082
    Pre-order link takes you to more ship sales. Fine print says to get it at lowest price before the squadron 42 becomes it own thing at end of 2016. Dunno, to me, seems like more buy ships to finance this never ending development that may lead somewhere eventually.
  • azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    DocBrody said:
    10 HOURS performance capture story alone. Good bye Bioware. Good bye EA. Nice knowing you. what did you say, Battlefront has no Single player campaign, no one wants that? okay
    BioWare only motion capture a few of their cutscenes and none are done using the actual actors to record both motions, facial features and voice at the same time like it is done here. It's not even comparable. It is also a crazy amount of motion capture for a game, I guess that stretch goal was money well spent.

If you want to compare, I would wait for Deus Ex Mankind Divided. Although, I doubt the game has 10 hours of it...
    Precusor said:

Ah, thanks, so that was a baked in cost.   Interesting collection of folks, those that I know.   

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    edited October 2015
    I just wonder how much this voice over cast cost in a supposedly cash strapped development. Some see this as a positive I guess, as a business owner who sometimes has to sweat blood from rocks to meet payroll I once again question the leadership business savvy. No correction I do not question I call this lunacy and lack of business experience. Goes back to that little adage champagne taste on a beer budget.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,981
    Squadron 42 is really the only reason I bought a Star Citizen package. the Persistent universe/MMO part might be good (or not), but if I just get a modern Wing Commander single/small group game from Squadron 42 I will be perfectly happy!

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,981
    Just watched that video.. it gave me chills. Awesome speech.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Precusor said:

CR said it was a 66 day shoot.  There is no way on this planet that the cost to do this was cheap.  I'm guessing $10M-$20M to pull that off.
    Did he really say that??

Everything Roberts says is really about making Roberts look good.   That sort of comment is sort of bragging, but it can turn around to bite his butt.  Of course, he could be 'fibbing' about the days of the shoot to make himself look more important.

I do know that voice work is comparatively expensive, and is set up in 4 hour paid blocks, usually at full scale or more.  Don't know what Serkis's company's mocap fees are, but they are probably top dollar, as Imaginarium is one of the best in the field.

• HanthosHanthos Member UncommonPosts: 242
    psiic said:
    I just wonder how much this voice over cast cost in a supposedly cash strapped development. Some see this as a positive I guess, as a business owner who sometimes has to sweat blood from rocks to meet payroll I once again question the leadership business savvy. No correction I do not question I call this lunacy and lack of business experience. Goes back to that little adage champagne taste on a beer budget.
    Has the thought never occurred to you that we gave CR this insane amount of money to do just THAT? ;) 

And who have you been listening to that says the development is 'cash-strapped' I wonder?
  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Release date 2026?

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    So you guys did not pay for StarCitizen Extended Vision, you payed for Squadron 42, which they hope will earn enough to pay for StarCitizen Extended Vision. Bold. I will give them that.
  • BlaedusBlaedus Member UncommonPosts: 100
    What...? How...? I...! I can't even. I am literally without the ability to even.
  • brihtwulfbrihtwulf Member UncommonPosts: 975
    I guess there's where all the money they've been taking has gone. Good luck getting a finished product though.
  • PsyckedPsycked Member UncommonPosts: 100
    Rofl more wasted player $$$ on non game development... So glad I waited just to buy the game once it's out haha

I am the Cannon Fodder God

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Famous voice actors do not, a good game make.
  • azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    Precusor said:

CR said it was a 66 day shoot.  There is no way on this planet that the cost to do this was cheap.  I'm guessing $10M-$20M to pull that off.
    I doubt it cost that much. While it might have took them 66 days to shoot, they didn't have to do any detailed make-up, costumes, props or sets which not only cost huge amount of money, but also take a lot of time to do  (and time is money). They didn't have to do location filming (aka filming outside) which is more expensive than filming in a studio. They had a very small crew of actors to deal with and nobody is paid movie salaries to do voice acting, even if its include mo-capping.
  • ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    Yeah I played some of the Wing Commander games but I never liked the cinematic cut scenes and felt they just got in the way. I would rather make a story consisting of what I did in game rather than what I watched in game. 
    MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
  • DeathengerDeathenger Member UncommonPosts: 880
    brihtwulf said:
    I guess there's where all the money they've been taking has gone. Good luck getting a finished product though.
    Don't forget vacations to Figi for his wife

• BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939
    I bet a SC movie comes out before any game. :-D
    I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

• jcrg99jcrg99 Member UncommonPosts: 723
    edited October 2015
    Gary Oldman just entered in a category to dispute a prize between him and Peter Dinklage (Destiny) in video-game voice performance, if you know what I mean
    lol

Something like this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Raspberry_Awards