Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you contribute financially to the games you play?

2»

Comments

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    If I enjoy the work the devs have done I support it.
    I've often supported games after I've finished playing them as a means of saying thanks to the devs for their effort.

..Cake..

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    I haven't found a f2p game that I enjoyed. If I did I might spend money on it.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    I support some of the games I play. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Some people are having semantic problems with the word support.  I'm not sure what word would be better for what I was getting at, but my intent was to you provide monetary funds to games that you play through a cash shop or other micro transactional structure.   I thought support was an adequate word, but you never know until you put it out there.

As an aside, if you buy a subscription, pay a boxed price or other method, you have 'supported' the company.  

I self identify as a monkey.

• Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,292
    mgilbrtsn said:
    Some people are having semantic problems with the word support.  I'm not sure what word would be better for what I was getting at, but my intent was to you provide monetary funds to games that you play through a cash shop or other micro transactional structure.   I thought support was an adequate word, but you never know until you put it out there.

As an aside, if you buy a subscription, pay a boxed price or other method, you have 'supported' the company.  
    Try the word 'Pay'. You wouldnt ask if people 'support' Walmart. You would ask if they buy stuff there. This is no different.
  • AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,797
    I haven't played an MMO for years (3+).
    I will not support a cash shop game, and for those that are sub only I am not finding what I want.

Once upon a time....

What is the stigma associated with Cash Shops.  I understand that some people prefer box sales or subscription services, but it seems like cash shops aren't just not prefered.  There seems to be an actual thumbing your nose at the concept type of vibe. 

I prefer subscriptions and box sales, but if a game doesn't use it, the industry is using it as the pay model, and as long as it isn't invasive, I don't see the problem.

• BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939
    mgilbrtsn said:
    What is the stigma associated with Cash Shops.  I understand that some people prefer box sales or subscription services, but it seems like cash shops aren't just not prefered.  There seems to be an actual thumbing your nose at the concept type of vibe. 

I prefer subscriptions and box sales, but if a game doesn't use it, the industry is using it as the pay model, and as long as it isn't invasive, I don't see the problem.
    I just don't get it with stores in games, people tend to spend a lot more other than if they just paid a sub. 
    I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    If it's a game I enjoy I will pay for certain things.

I will pay for a sub if one is required.

I will pay for box cost and expansions if needed.

I'll buy things from a cash shop, but only things I think are really neat, and I limit my spending.

My 'support' of the games I play is well playing the game itself. That's me voting with my wallet. There's a few F2P games that I never plunked down any real cash for. They didn't hold my interest long enough to warrant any kind of a purchase.

As a general rule. I am a B2P kinda guy. I'm mostly over the sub thing, since there's so many options available to me. A game has to be truly special in my eyes for me to plunk down the sub cost anymore. 
    Brenics said:
    mgilbrtsn said:

I just don't get it with stores in games, people tend to spend a lot more other than if they just paid a sub. 
    I get it.  It does take more monetary discipline, but some seem to refuse to play them more as a 'principle' than because of the money they spend or don't spend.

• BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939
    Well I just don't get how anyone can enjoy a game if they just play it for free. They are not getting the full experience of the game. Then later they will give some lame review on it even thou they didn't really play the full game. Just lame to me.
    I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Knowing my play habits, I hardly last more than a month in a f2p game.  With that in mind, I really don't spend money in f2p cash shops.  If it's a b2p game, then I feel I already supported them when I paid for the box.  The only game that is f2p that I actually paid for the optional sub was SWTOR a while ago, but that's only because I'm a Star Wars junky and the game was fun for me at the time.

In the case of LOTRO I actually own a Lifetime sub (won't ever do that again).  With that my monthly allowance of tokens have allowed me buy all of the expansions for free since after the Siege of Mirkwood.  Not to mention I still have about 7-10K tokens waiting to be spent on whatever, assuming I ever log into that game again. However I had to show my support with $200 USD for that "privilege".

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Vardahoth said:
    mgilbrtsn said:

Basically, cash shops devalue the game items/characters to the gamer and the community. Allow me to break it down for you...

Gamer says: Dude I finally organized a raid group of 200 players and we took down that beast and he dropped some godly gear. It took us months of leveling gearing and planning just to get that guy.

Whale says: Dude, who cares I just opened up my wallet and got that godly gear in a matter of seconds.

Gamer says: yeah but I finally hit level 50, it took me years to grind.

Whale says: I hit 60 in 2 days with the cash shop leveling bonus items.

Gamer says: ... yeah fk this game.
    Except hyperbolic examples don't really bolster your argument.  Few F2P games sell the best gear in the cash shop, you still have to earn it.  Also, there's no real race to be won, so if someone gets to 60 before you what does it matter really?

You're actually tilting at windmills, the problem you discuss rarely occurs in MMORPG space.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    If i enjoy a game for a month I buy some crap, usually something cosmetic. After that I buy something every 3 months or so. However most F2P games can't keep me occupied for more than a few days since most of them feel just like all the others which I already tired of.
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    I play EQ progression server and Darkfall.  I don't have much of a choice if I contribute they are both sub.  Regarding F2P games, I've not found one that can entertain me longer than a week.  I have enjoyed some B2P games.
    rodingo said:
    Knowing my play habits, I hardly last more than a month in a f2p game.  With that in mind, I really don't spend money in f2p cash shops.  If it's a b2p game, then I feel I already supported them when I paid for the box.  The only game that is f2p that I actually paid for the optional sub was SWTOR a while ago, but that's only because I'm a Star Wars junky and the game was fun for me at the time.

In the case of LOTRO I actually own a Lifetime sub (won't ever do that again).  With that my monthly allowance of tokens have allowed me buy all of the expansions for free since after the Siege of Mirkwood.  Not to mention I still have about 7-10K tokens waiting to be spent on whatever, assuming I ever log into that game again. However I had to show my support with $200 USD for that "privilege".
    I undertandVardahoth said:
    mgilbrtsn said:

Basically, cash shops devalue the game items/characters to the gamer and the community. Allow me to break it down for you...

Gamer says: Dude I finally organized a raid group of 200 players and we took down that beast and he dropped some godly gear. It took us months of leveling gearing and planning just to get that guy.

Whale says: Dude, who cares I just opened up my wallet and got that godly gear in a matter of seconds.

Gamer says: yeah but I finally hit level 50, it took me years to grind.

Whale says: I hit 60 in 2 days with the cash shop leveling bonus items.

Gamer says: ... yeah fk this game.
    I understand, and I can understand saying I won't support/pay/provide money to that game.  But a lot of the statements are to the effect of 'I won't support ANY F2P game because of the notion of a cash shop.'  I've played games where there are pretty much only cosmetic or limited functional items.  However, those are thrown out by the all or nothing F2P model stigma and not the specifics of the particular game. 

This is what I don't understand.  Why people don't look at the specific game and the implementation of the monetization model, but instead carpet bomb the whole cash shop model as a whole.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    edited October 2015
    Brenics said:
    mgilbrtsn said:

Statistically, very few do. 

Brenics said:
    Well I just don't get how anyone can enjoy a game if they just play it for free. They are not getting the full experience of the game. Then later they will give some lame review on it even thou they didn't really play the full game. Just lame to me.

So are they paying a lot more or not paying at all?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    I usually play sub based games and prefer that model but they're hard to find these days. Of the F2P games I've tried, I tend to give them a trial period first to see if they're worth the effort. Say a week or so to see how things go. After that I either delete it or start paying for premium time/buying something from the shop but I limit myself to spending no more than a monthly sub would cost me.

If you're going to regularly play a game then I think you should support it and put your hand in your pocket.
  • GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791
    I could have answered two ways but one of them, the most important, is that I do not play so-called f2p games because I refuse to support freeloaders. The second, and not far behind the first, is that there simply are not many (if any) f2p games that are worth my time.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• evdaezevdaez Member UncommonPosts: 131
    @op. Ofc i do support the games that i play if the cost are reasonable. To me, there's a give/take relationship from me as a gamer and them as devs. 

But i tend to `stay away` from spending $$$ at chinese f2p games. Theres a difference between supporting a good f2p cs like ESO vs what you see in PWE cs.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Gruug said:
    I could have answered two ways but one of them, the most important, is that I do not play so-called f2p games because I refuse to support freeloaders. The second, and not far behind the first, is that there simply are not many (if any) f2p games that are worth my time.
    wait .. how would you be "supporting" freeloader if you don't pay. Just be one of them and you won't be supporting anyone.
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    If I like the game, yes. My usual guideline is 15$ a month, give or take - much like playing a sub game. Occasionally I'll shell out a bit more as if buying an expansion. (And spend the money on store credits or what not if the game isn't sub-based)

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• RasiemRasiem Member UncommonPosts: 318
    I do as long as I don't feel like I need to contribute extra money to advance in the game...