Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen | Death of a Salesman | MMORPG

Comments

• fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240
    The truth is probably somewhere in the middle.  As games go it's not unusual for a game to take five years to launch.  It's also not unusual for people to have problems managing millions of dollars especially with no one to directly answer to.
    There are 3 sides to every story; Your side, Their side and the Truth.

Agreed, especially when it comes to MMOs.

And yeah, just look at horror stories of lottery winners, MC Hammer, etc.

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

• BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939
    jcrg99 said:
    http://www.develop-online.net/interview/is-star-citizen-a-crowdfunding-black-hole/0212249

If you don't want to go to the link to read the story, here's the tl;dr version:

:p

Thank you for that, good read and tells us a lot. I really like this quote.

"Roberts remains defiant: “First of all we’re not doing the stretch goals anymore,” he says. “And secondly, pretty much everything we promised we sort of have. There isn’t any unknown R&D in terms of how we technically do this.”

Sort of graps ya don't it.  B) 
    I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

jcrg99 said:
    Look... This is what is going to "redefine the FPS genre" according with CIG statements:

:)

Not sure what you wanted this to point out - looks like every other FPS game where the devs promised to 'Redefine the FPS genre'...

Then again this is alpha/pre alpha/concept/Bigfoot sighting footage, so dunno...  /shrug

Axllow18 said:
    jcrg99 said:
    Look... This is what is going to "redefine the FPS genre" according with CIG statements:

:)

Huh. That looked pretty nifty.

If you can do that boarding other ships in a large persistent world then... yeah... that would be pushing the boundary.

Sooooooo... Am I supposed to be shocked that an alpha build looks like an Alpha build? Or what?
    Ahhh so he is making a  Duke Nukem 3D, or is it a Quake oh maybe Crysis, no it's Unreal Tournament. Is he even serious? All that money for a first person shooter in space?

• Axllow18Axllow18 Member UncommonPosts: 400
    Brenics said:
    Axllow18 said:

Ahhh so he is making a  Duke Nukem 3D, or is it a Quake oh maybe Crysis, no it's Unreal Tournament. Is he even serious? All that money for a first person shooter in space?
    What exactly did you expect from the FPS module of the game? I kinda figured the "FPS" part was a bit self explanatory?

Bren, you've been fairly level headed in our discussions in the past so even you have to see that saying their is nothing "revolutionary" in the ALPHA build of an FPS is a bit disingenuous. I'll grant you it looks like every other shooter in the space genre at this time but it is also an Alpha release.

I'm sitting in the middle here but it is very hard not to feel you are so dedicated to find anything to try to attack that you will take any opportunity to claim wrong doing, even when it is really not called for.

I've agreed with you on several occasions in the past, but this is starting to come off as just outright hate for the sake of hate man.

Also, you happen to have any butter? Fuckin dying over here man.
  • ArillixArillix Member UncommonPosts: 88

As I have said before, Citizencon  will blow us all away or it wont.

edited October 2015
    Axllow18 said:
    Brenics said:
    Axllow18 said:

What exactly did you expect from the FPS module of the game? I kinda figured the "FPS" part was a bit self explanatory?

Bren, you've been fairly level headed in our discussions in the past so even you have to see that saying their is nothing "revolutionary" in the ALPHA build of an FPS is a bit disingenuous. I'll grant you it looks like every other shooter in the space genre at this time but it is also an Alpha release.

I'm sitting in the middle here but it is very hard not to feel you are so dedicated to find anything to try to attack that you will take any opportunity to claim wrong doing, even when it is really not called for.

I've agreed with you on several occasions in the past, but this is starting to come off as just outright hate for the sake of hate man.

Also, you happen to have any butter? Fuckin dying over here man.
    What I don't get why use the cry engine, he would of been better off using the Unreal 4 engine. It would of made the shooter way better looking and I bet work a lot better. It couldn't of been the money. 

Hey am trying to give the game a shot, not for CR but the other developers working on the game. I'm just shocked I wasn't ready for that and yes I do hope it gets better tomorrow. Sorry but if that is all he has done in the last year? Then I have to hope he has more and after reading that article I have a bad feeling he really doesn't have a hell of a lot more.

Glad my alarm went off, I need my heart pills. :-D

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Brenics said:
    Shodanas said:
    Brenics said:

Of course that is a problem for you backers and CR. That is why you are all calling it BS. You all wish it was never brought to the front from witnesses. That way CR could just go on with his money making scam. 
    A scam.. really?

Let's try to keep things in perspective here. The way you talk about CR makes someone believe that you have some deeper, personal issues with the man. It goes beyond criticism.

Do you really believe that someone would hire a team of 250+ developers and utilize offices in two continents just to scam people for money ?
    LOL I expected this. So predictable.
    And you should.  Because it's logical  Unlike the majority of you what you say which amounts to little more than condemnation based your intuition of unproven accusations.
    Lets not forget everything CR says is also unproven. So he is no better or worse than the witnesses.

Brenics said:
    Axllow18 said:
    Brenics said:
    Axllow18 said:

What I don't get why use the cry engine, he would of been better off using the Unreal 4 engine. It would of made the shooter way better looking and I bet work a lot better. It couldn't of been the money. 

Hey am trying to give the game a shot, not for CR but the other developers working on the game. I'm just shocked I wasn't ready for that and yes I do hope it gets better tomorrow. Sorry but if that is all he has done in the last year? Then I have to hope he has more and after reading that article I have a bad feeling he really doesn't have a hell of a lot more.
    Actually that is a fair point, one I have often wondered myself. The Unreal Engine just seems like a better fit, and a WHOLE lot less work.

My guess is he wanted the graphic fidelity and didn't consider just how much it would need to be converted.

One question though about using UE4, is how to get around the world scale limitations. I think CE scales better from what I understand; so solar system scale instances might not be possible with UE4.

One thing to remember is much of the background and systems work doesn't really shine through in a demo like that; so it might be more work than we realize as casual observers.

Over all I agree that if CitCon is not impressive I will be more concerned about the development schedule.
    Axllow18 said:
    Brenics said:
    Axllow18 said:
    Brenics said:
    Axllow18 said:

Actually that is a fair point, one I have often wondered myself. The Unreal Engine just seems like a better fit, and a WHOLE lot less work.

My guess is he wanted the graphic fidelity and didn't consider just how much it would need to be converted.

One question though about using UE4, is how to get around the world scale limitations. I think CE scales better from what I understand; so solar system scale instances might not be possible with UE4.

One thing to remember is much of the background and systems work doesn't really shine through in a demo like that; so it might be more work than we realize as casual observers.

Over all I agree that if CitCon is not impressive I will be more concerned about the development schedule.
    Ok considering money wasn't an issue, why not use Unreal engine for the shooter in ship and cry for space, He was going to have to adapt the engines anyway so he would of been better off making them fit together for ship to space. Plus it would of saved him time and money in the long run. Or am I wrong? Like I said it wouldn't have been a money issue.

Well time to wait to see what he has in store tomorrow, I really do hope he has something better. 

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Just as a matter of perspective, It wouldn't be embezlement. More likely it would be fraud......If it's fraud.

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/fraud

Fraud

A false representation of a matter of fact—whether by words or by conduct, by false or misleading allegations, or by concealment of what should have been disclosed—that deceives and is intended to deceive another so that the individual will act upon it to her or his legal injury.

<Deleted Stuff>

(Here we go)

Fraud must be proved by showing that the defendant's actions involved five separate elements: (1) a false statement of a material fact,(2) knowledge on the part of the defendant that the statement is untrue, (3) intent on the part of thedefendant to deceive the alleged victim, (4) justifiable reliance by the alleged victim on the statement, and (5) injury to the alleged victim as a result.

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    user547 said:
    Prior to this defamatory assault, most of the people who had even heard of Star Citizen might have thought it was very strange to be throwing that much money at virtual spaceships.  It seems very odd to spend that much money on one item in a game that isn't even made yet.  It was also strange that you didn't hear more about the actual game.  What are you going to do with that cool looking concept art when you get it?

But this latest shit show is too much.  To watch a brazen Derek Smart try to Derek Smart ANOTHER game developer, destroy them, and take their property is too much.  He is doing it in full view with willing accomplices, and everyone is willing to be distracted away from facts and let it just go by.  That's not acceptable.

Say whatever you want about the unusual aspects of how Star Citizen is being made (still don't know what the actual game is other than of flying a ship for some reason, and shooting people in FPS for some reason) but don't go nuts and feed into an inferno of crazy.  There are a lot of people who are having trouble separating their own ego needs from objective reality, and confusing the two.  This is not healthy.  But it's prime red meat for predators and parasites.

Remember, games and talking about gaming are supposed to be FUN. (lol?)
    Some of us don't care for Derek Smart's vitriolic and condescending nature, and we don't trust Chris Roberts at the same time.

Can we do that, or is this the left/right paradigm and I have to pick one or the other?

Derek Smart has never made a good game and Chris Roberts has only made good games in spite of himself and all of them a couple decades ago.  I wouldn't throw a single penny at either of them before they dropped a fully realized product that looks like fun to play.  There's simply too many things to buy in this world to be throwing money at people who may or may not give you what you were expecting in the end.
    Brenics said:
    Axllow18 said:
    Brenics said:
    Axllow18 said:
    Brenics said:
    Axllow18 said:

Ok considering money wasn't an issue, why not use Unreal engine for the shooter in ship and cry for space, He was going to have to adapt the engines anyway so he would of been better off making them fit together for ship to space. Plus it would of saved him time and money in the long run. Or am I wrong? Like I said it wouldn't have been a money issue.

Well time to wait to see what he has in store tomorrow, I really do hope he has something better. 
    I would assume attempting to use two different engines for gameplay elements that are supposed to allow for seamless transition (move from a dogfight in space, get up from your seat and walk to the airlock, pop out into space, grapple to the enemy ship, board and start shooting) would be a big ole PITA.

There would also be the need for more people specialized in both the cry engine and unreal4 engine which would mean more time and money (both of which seem to be a problem already according to all the current hub-bub.

Brenics said:
    Axllow18 said:
    Brenics said:
    Axllow18 said:
    Brenics said:
    Axllow18 said:

Don't know for absolute sure, I'd have to ask my programmer buddy, but from what work I've done with both engines I am fairly certain that combining them is nearly impossible from a realistic standpoint. Because of the way their source is written and because they both use a different scaling for base Units for their physics calculations I feel attempting to hodgepodge them into one engine would ACTUALLY be a waste of backer money.

Honestly for all we know CryEngine might have really been the best choice. It's entirely possible CiG sat down and ran the numbers on the cost and time of upgrading the two engines and found CE to be the better option. There is no telling really because they would both of needed heavy modification to accomplish the goals Roberts is setting.

That's the thing about speculation; we only do it because we've no idea what's actually going on behind the curtain.
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    edited October 2015
    I hope to fuking hell when this game comes out, all of you will own up to your shit spewing and apologize for every fucking word.

Not a single person has a shred of truth /or actual fact to back up anything they are spewing out of their jealous mouth, all riding some bullshit click per view story and pretending to know anything about game development , specially for a game with most complex mechnaics ever created to date.

Get a clue and shut up , you really looking like idiots at this point, much like your demi god Farek Snart.
    Well since you have more knowledge about what's going on inside CIG than the rest of us, then please enlighten us.  

Is the game fully on track to be released in late 2016 with all pre-purchased deliverables fully modeled, tested and ready to fly?  Is the FPS module fully finished and integrated with the rest of the game?  When will players be able to fly further in space than the dogfighting simulator?

Or are you armchair quarterbacking while telling everyone else who is armchair quarterbacking to shut the fuck up?

Edit: and just wow...  "The most complex mechanics ever created to date."  I'm sorry, but even if he delivers every single thing he promised I could still list half a dozen game that are, were or will be more complex than SC.

Calling SC more complex because they plan on merging an FPS with Wing Commander is like saying that Linkin Park is more complex than Led Zeppelin because they merged rock and rap.
  • Red_ThomasRed_Thomas Member RarePosts: 666
    fact
    fakt/
    noun
    noun: fact; plural noun: facts
    a thing that is indisputably the case.
    "she lacks political experience—a fact that becomes clear when she appears in public"
    ...actually, that really wouldn't be a fact.  It's a fact that her appearance in public suggests she lacks political experience, but the observation is subjective on the part of the person making the statement.  It's that person's impression that the woman in question lacks political experience, not an actual fact.

It could just be that his opinion differs from the person he's speaking to, so he's calling evidence that supports his position as factual while claiming the statements contrary to his position are fallacious or subjective.   I've heard there are some people who will do that sort of thing.
    I hope to fuking hell when this game comes out, all of you will own up to your shit spewing and apologize for every fucking word.

Not a single person has a shred of truth /or actual fact to back up anything they are spewing out of their jealous mouth, all riding some bullshit click per view story and pretending to know anything about game development , specially for a game with most complex mechnaics ever created to date.

Get a clue and shut up , you really looking like idiots at this point, much like your demi god Farek Snart.
    And if the game flops? If it fails to come out will you apologize for your vitriolic and angry tantrum?

Look we all know that Smart has become inseparable from this whole debacle but the criticisms of CiG were there even before that thick-headed bull horn of a wind tunnel even hit the scene.

CiG is STILL VERY FAR from a finished product so how about a little less grandstanding and a little more level headed discussion.

What you are doing right here in this post is making an ass out of yourself.

And leave poor Derek out of it; we all know he's already got enough stress trying to get his Phd framed. Crayolas stain glass something fierce man.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Shodanas said:
    Brenics said:

Of course that is a problem for you backers and CR. That is why you are all calling it BS. You all wish it was never brought to the front from witnesses. That way CR could just go on with his money making scam. 
    A scam.. really?

Let's try to keep things in perspective here. The way you talk about CR makes someone believe that you have some deeper, personal issues with the man. It goes beyond criticism.

Do you really believe that someone would hire a team of 250+ developers and utilize offices in two continents just to scam people for money ?
    You forgot to mention in a very public way. As a person who isn't exactly Joe Schmoe from somewhere in Utah.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878
    Brenics said:

Doesn't really work like that. Both engines would largely be doing the same things (main loop, asset management, rendering pipeline, physics, etc, etc.) just in different ways. Neither is necessarily better than the other, they just do things differently, which, as you suggest, means they are better at different things. You would be better off picking one engine (Chris just happened to pick CE at the time) and adapting (i.e. changing and adding to) it to do the extra stuff you needed.

The only way different engines (each optimised for what it is doing) would work is if they had separate clients talking to the same server, but considering they don't even want loading screens..

Distopia said:
    Shodanas said:
    Brenics said:

A scam.. really?

You forgot to mention in a very public way. As a person who isn't exactly Joe Schmoe from somewhere in Utah.
    I will answer you tomorrow after we all see what he has been doing the last two years. Then we will see if the people in the article were right.

Maybe he isn't scamming people on purpose, but selling ships that will not work in game isn't exactly something that is normal for any game I know. What would you call selling ships that can't work in the space module he created? Then selling ones much later that can? That doesn't sound very responsible.

Brenics said:
    Distopia said:
    Shodanas said:
    Brenics said:

I will answer you tomorrow after we all see what he has been doing the last two years. Then we will see if the people in the article were right.

Maybe he isn't scamming people on purpose, but selling ships that will not work in game isn't exactly something that is normal for any game I know. What would you call selling ships that can't work in the space module he created? Then selling ones much later that can? That doesn't sound very responsible.
    To be fair most of the accusations levied at CiG won't be proven or dispelled tomorrow no matter what they show unless CR walks out on the stage and says either one of two things:

1: He strolls out wearing a diamond shirt carrying a passport and screams: "Gotcha motha fuckas!"

2: He strolls out wearing a George Dubya mask and says: "Mission accomplished" And then screen behind him reads "NOW AVAILABLE"

This is my biggest issue with the whole Escapist thing really. There isn't much CiG can really do to combat the statements made save for the 'money in the bank' accusation; and yet the only proof to these accusations is these people used to work there / still do. But really that doesn't prove anything; the skeptic in me is immediately drawn to the concern that there isn't any evidence of the specific CLAIMS that were made, just assurances that these people were employees.

That being said though, CitCon this year needs to be big for CiG and they need to really show the backers the game coming together. I am not a fan of the monetization model of the games development, and my biggest concern comes from the fact that in trying to make ships to drive income can very easily lead to more feature creep by proxy as CiG tries to find new roles to fill with new ships.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Brenics said:

I'd call it not having priorities in order, if it turns out they never get those ships working, I'd call it a person setting up their own failure. To run a scam of this magnitude in a public way you better cover all of your bases, they haven't covered a single one at this point. IF this turns out to be a scam, they'll certainly deserve their very own episode of worlds dumbest criminals.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• user547user547 Member UncommonPosts: 150
    "Can we do that, or is this the left/right paradigm and I have to pick one or the other?"

This is the result of the false dichotomy created by the attacker to make it look like there was a mutual altercation instead of an assault.  There is no he said, she said, that is false drama intended to obscure.

Moreover, Chris Roberts was not the one sallying forth to make defamatory accusations.  He was responding to those attacks.  Putting the criminal accusations hurled his way on the same plane as Chris Roberts saying he is making a game with features X,Y, and Z is pure insanity.   Difference in kind, and not even an argument.

It is the people who are in the "I hate Chris Roberts and I hope that game fails" camp that made this into a contest of personalities while tying all arguments to the two antagonists, as they saw it. 

But honestly if you have a special anger at a game and disdain for the person making it, how objective are you, really?

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044
    Erillion said:
    bartoni33 said:

I'm interested myself how Erilion will respond. I honestly think he is not a dyed-in-the-wool fanboy myself, just VERY invested (monetarily or emotionally) in SC. I'm sure he can see the faults in the development aspects of SC.
    Hello @bartoni33

I consider the Column an interesting piece of writing, although a very  subjective one. Here is my (also subjective) opinion about it.

Lets speak about the ships first. Yes, one cannot fly a Caterpillar yet. It is a multi-crew ship. Multi-crew capability will be implemented in the upcoming Arena Commander 2.0 version. Other ships (Constellation, Retaliator) have been chosen to be the first multi-crew ships in the pipeline (as shown in the GamesCom 2015 Multi-Crew ship presentation in Germany).

Furthermore to our knowledge the Caterpillar does not feature in the Squadron 42 solo campaign. All ships used in SQ42 are ranked in the ship pipeline before all other ships because they are needed earlier.

The owner of the Caterpillar got a replacement ship (most likely a Hornet - a single-seater flyable ship for years now) for playtesting just as i got such a ship as a Constellation owner. I also cannot fly my Constellation yet, but i understand and accept the reasons why. Its not like the Caterpillar owner was not able to participate in the Alpha playtesting. With REC in game currency earned via playtesting he could have tried out dozens of other ships and ship variants.

Lets talk about Erin Roberts second. I agree with the author of the column that Erin is a capable leader (as i posted in another thread on the SC forum on mmorpg.com). I personally think that the real potential lies in the combination of Chris + Erin Roberts. Experienced project management in combination with inspired creative vision. And its in my opinion NOT only Chris who is the visionary and NOT only Erin who is the administrator. That why i am also NOT of the opinion that Chris has to go. But yes, as some other reader has put it, from time to time one brother has to hit the other brother with a newspaper over the head when someone is getting carried away in minute details.

Have there been dead ends in the development of certain aspects of SC ? Certainly - like in every other game that is not an exact copy of the previous game like "Assassins Call of Auto 23". Sometimes one has to try new things - sometimes it works out, sometimes not. If it did not work out, you try another approach. Thats normal business, not mismanagement. Its like giants of the gaming industry a la Sid Meier said - you try, you test, you change ... until it works. That takes some time. But if you stick to it ... at some point it works.

Many of the remarks of the author of the column with respect to information he supposedly heard from insiders is hard to verify and because of that i can only treat it as unsubstantiated rumours. None of the people mentioned as having been fired or quit have publically accused CIG. Some people that left had good reasons - like "Wingman" Peterson who saw the chance to be his own boss and create his own artistic vision in the wake of the successful space game revival. And who is still VERY much a supporter of SC.

The author of the column does not like the SC business model. That much is clear. He proposes a different model, concentrating on some parts. I disagree. It is the integrated design concept that IMHO makes Star Citizen unique and special. All the modules working together like cogwheels to produce a masterpiece. Getting all modules working takes time. In my personal opinion as a backer i say "Take all the time needed to create a genre milestone." Better than Wing Commander. Better than Freelancer.

The author also seems to believe early Kickstarter backers  are entitled to special treatment. But i suggest to take a step back and get some perspective. Kickstarter brought in 34.397  backers and 2.134.374 $. We are now at 765.777 paying backers with at least one ship and almost 91 million bucks. Is it so hard to feel generous and allow the other 731.380 backers that joined AFTER Kickstarter to also get some of the benefits of supporting this project  (like Lifetime insurance) ? In my personal opinion - more power to each and every one of these other 765.776 guys and gals!  Be happy with some backer perks, no matter when you joined or how much money you spent - we are all in this together and hope to participate in creating something unique and special.

Should we button up, get ready to cut everything non-essential and get Star Citizen out in time for the X-Mas season ? HELL NO !  In my opinion CIG should take as much time as needed to create a milestone, a masterpiece. Yes, that may take some time and time is precious for the instant gratification crowd. They will manage.

There’s a path forward.   It’s risky and they may take some time to get to the finish line, but I  personally think they’ll manage. And at least I am proud to be a part of that project, whatever the outcome.

Have fun

So I was right!

I put no weight on anything DS related. As far as the Escapist article is concerned I have yet to see or hear anything conclusive as to how true any of the statements are.

The whole Module thing is kinda scary to me. What if the cogs do not mesh? What if the systems creating the cogs themselves are not compatible? Garbage in and garbage out? Isn't that the issue with the FPS module right now?

I like most backers (I'm not a KS backer but got in not too much after) am OK with waiting. I was hoping ED would hold me over but their is no way in hell I'm paying full price again for a complete game (no I don't think the current game is nowhere near complete) so that was a total loss. But i do agree with the OP that they need to show something tangible (ie playable) soon to show progress. AC is great, the Hangar is nice and the Social Module is... meh right now. But the Star Marine Module is the one piece that is seeming to hold everything else back. they need to get that fixed and out soon.

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.