Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen | Death of a Salesman | MMORPG

Comments

• BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939
    Shodanas said:
    Brenics said:

Of course that is a problem for you backers and CR. That is why you are all calling it BS. You all wish it was never brought to the front from witnesses. That way CR could just go on with his money making scam. 
    A scam.. really?

Let's try to keep things in perspective here. The way you talk about CR makes someone believe that you have some deeper, personal issues with the man. It goes beyond criticism.

Do you really believe that someone would hire a team of 250+ developers and utilize offices in two continents just to scam people for money ?
    LOL I expected this. So predictable.
    I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

• user547user547 Member UncommonPosts: 150
    Prior to this defamatory assault, most of the people who had even heard of Star Citizen might have thought it was very strange to be throwing that much money at virtual spaceships.  It seems very odd to spend that much money on one item in a game that isn't even made yet.  It was also strange that you didn't hear more about the actual game.  What are you going to do with that cool looking concept art when you get it?

But this latest shit show is too much.  To watch a brazen Derek Smart try to Derek Smart ANOTHER game developer, destroy them, and take their property is too much.  He is doing it in full view with willing accomplices, and everyone is willing to be distracted away from facts and let it just go by.  That's not acceptable.

Say whatever you want about the unusual aspects of how Star Citizen is being made (still don't know what the actual game is other than of flying a ship for some reason, and shooting people in FPS for some reason) but don't go nuts and feed into an inferno of crazy.  There are a lot of people who are having trouble separating their own ego needs from objective reality, and confusing the two.  This is not healthy.  But it's prime red meat for predators and parasites.

Remember, games and talking about gaming are supposed to be FUN. (lol?)
  • AirwrenAirwren Member UncommonPosts: 648
    Shodanas said:
    Brenics said:

Of course that is a problem for you backers and CR. That is why you are all calling it BS. You all wish it was never brought to the front from witnesses. That way CR could just go on with his money making scam. 
    A scam.. really?

Let's try to keep things in perspective here. The way you talk about CR makes someone believe that you have some deeper, personal issues with the man. It goes beyond criticism.

Do you really believe that someone would hire a team of 250+ developers and utilize offices in two continents just to scam people for money ?

Bernie Madoff?  I'm teasing, but really there's no bounds or lengths that people won't go to try and screw other people.  That said, I think it's a stretch to say the CR ever set out to screw people through Kickstarter or the game he is trying to build.  More likely, as many have already said, he's a visionary that wants to make a good game but is having a hell of a time managing that vision.  At the end of the day, everyone is just going to have to play the game that is available which is the waiting game. ;D

Arillix said:

From three months ago.

From 4 day ago.

this only 2 of the 3790 results  for Star Citizen ship size comparisons.
    Still looks like progress to me.
    I don't think anyone deny's the guy makes great looking ships. Other than what he sells them for this has never really been about the ships, so you confuse me why you would post this in this thread. 

• Charlie.CheswickCharlie.Cheswick Member UncommonPosts: 469
    More Don Henley quotes please.

/nomnomnom
    -Chuckles
  • Axllow18Axllow18 Member UncommonPosts: 397
    I'ma need a bit more butter over here. Don't worry about salt though, there is enough of that coming from the Hate-train and the White-knights-who-say-ni to last me at least five more buckets of popcorn.
  • MisterZebubMisterZebub Member LegendaryPosts: 3,584
    Brenics said:

Arillix said:

From three months ago.

From 4 day ago.

this only 2 of the 3790 results  for Star Citizen ship size comparisons.
    Still looks like progress to me.
    I don't think anyone deny's the guy makes great looking ships. Other than what he sells them for this has never really been about the ships, so you confuse me why you would post this in this thread. 
    Now here's something on which we both might agree. Saying the game is excellent or progressing based on some ship designs is like saying the new Star Wars films will be excellent because of how great the new action figures are. Get those ships modeled, textured, rigged and into a playable environment and then we can talk.

"You have kept me at your beck and call for fifteen years. I shall never again do what you demand of me. By every rule of single combat, from this moment your life belongs to me. Is that not correct? Then I shall simply declare you dead. In all of your dealings with me, you'll do me the courtesy to conduct yourself as a dead man. I have submitted to your notions of honor long enough. You will now submit to mine."

• fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240
    Axllow18 said:
    I'ma need a bit more butter over here. Don't worry about salt though, there is enough of that coming from the Hate-train and the White-knights-who-say-ni to last me at least five more buckets of popcorn.
    What makes it all the more entertaining is the fervent rage members of each side use to get their points across. You can actually watch through the posts how some people are actually losing grip on reality and falling into a panicked state of paranoia. It's kinda like watching someone self-destruct in semi-real time!

It's almost as good as reading Garfield minus Garfield .

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    edited October 2015
    Brenics said:

Now here's something on which we both might agree. Saying the game is excellent or progressing based on some ship designs is like saying the new Star Wars films will be excellent because of how great the new action figures are. Get those ships modeled, textured, rigged and into a playable environment and then we can talk.
    if I was a watch maker and people wanted to pay me for some prototype watches I had made......even though I tell them they are prototypes and the "best watch ever" is still in development......and then they say "well sell me that one,  I want to tell time now"....and then I tell them this one doesn't work,  the one that does work is still being worked on....what should I do?....turn down money that will help me fulfill my life long dream of making an awesome watch?....then the people buying my prototypes start to tell me how they would want there ideal watch....so I found a huge market for these watches.....but the list of features and models is starting to get out of hand.....I think a lot of the feature creep is due to impatient people with disposable income being,  well,  impatient.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • jcrg99jcrg99 Member UncommonPosts: 723
    http://www.develop-online.net/interview/is-star-citizen-a-crowdfunding-black-hole/0212249

If you don't want to go to the link to read the story, here's the tl;dr version:

:p

edited October 2015
    muffins89 said:
    Brenics said:

if I was a watch maker and people wanted to pay me for some prototype watches I had made......even though I tell them they are prototypes and the "best watch ever" is still in development......and then they say "well sell me that one,  I want to tell time now"....and then I tell them this one doesn't work,  the one that does work is still being worked on....what should I do?....turn down money that will help me fulfill my life long dream of making an awesome watch?....then the people buying my prototypes start to tell me how they would want there ideal watch....so I found a huge market for these watches.....but the list of features and models is starting to get out of hand.....I think a lot of the feature creep is due to impatient people with disposable income being,  well,  impatient.
    No I have no issue with that, its not my place to tell other people how to spend their money, but for someone to claim you are a fantastic watchmaker when you've yet to complete a single fully functioning watch while selling more and more nonworking watch designs for fully functioning watch prices is a bit silly, not to mention disingenuous.

"You have kept me at your beck and call for fifteen years. I shall never again do what you demand of me. By every rule of single combat, from this moment your life belongs to me. Is that not correct? Then I shall simply declare you dead. In all of your dealings with me, you'll do me the courtesy to conduct yourself as a dead man. I have submitted to your notions of honor long enough. You will now submit to mine."

fyerwall said:
    Axllow18 said:
    What makes it all the more entertaining is the fervent rage members of each side use to get their points across. You can actually watch through the posts how some people are actually losing grip on reality and falling into a panicked state of paranoia. It's kinda like watching someone self-destruct in semi-real time!

It is a tad surreal isn't it? There are the usual suspects on both sides who flagrantly ignore the counter-arguments brought up by the opposing viewpoint and instead focus entirely on the erm... "facts" (Haha) of this whole thing. Meanwhile both sides call each other cultists and fling accusations of bias without any attempt to step back and look in the mirror.

I've become so desensitized to this level of schadenfreude online that I've begun to find myself guilty of it.

This must be how the Joker got started...
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 8,868
    The truth is probably somewhere in the middle.  As games go it's not unusual for a game to take five years to launch.  It's also not unusual for people to have problems managing millions of dollars especially with no one to directly answer to.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

Axllow18 said:
    fyerwall said:
    Axllow18 said:

It is a tad surreal isn't it? There are the usual suspects on both sides who flagrantly ignore the counter-arguments brought up by the opposing viewpoint and instead focus entirely on the erm... "facts" (Haha) of this whole thing. Meanwhile both sides call each other cultists and fling accusations of bias without any attempt to step back and look in the mirror.

I've become so desensitized to this level of schadenfreude online that I've begun to find myself guilty of it.

This must be how the Joker got started...
    "My father was a drinker and a fiend, and a game designer..."

• jcrg99jcrg99 Member UncommonPosts: 723
    edited October 2015
    Look... This is what is going to "redefine the FPS genre" according with CIG statements:

:)

jcrg99 said:
    Look... This is what is going to "redefine the FPS genre" according with CIG statements:

Huh. That looked pretty nifty.

If you can do that boarding other ships in a large persistent world then... yeah... that would be pushing the boundary.

Sooooooo... Am I supposed to be shocked that an alpha build looks like an Alpha build? Or what?
    The truth is probably somewhere in the middle.  As games go it's not unusual for a game to take five years to launch.  It's also not unusual for people to have problems managing millions of dollars especially with no one to directly answer to.
    There are 3 sides to every story; Your side, Their side and the Truth.

Agreed, especially when it comes to MMOs.

And yeah, just look at horror stories of lottery winners, MC Hammer, etc.

jcrg99 said:
    http://www.develop-online.net/interview/is-star-citizen-a-crowdfunding-black-hole/0212249

If you don't want to go to the link to read the story, here's the tl;dr version:

:p

Thank you for that, good read and tells us a lot. I really like this quote.

"Roberts remains defiant: “First of all we’re not doing the stretch goals anymore,” he says. “And secondly, pretty much everything we promised we sort of have. There isn’t any unknown R&D in terms of how we technically do this.”

Sort of graps ya don't it.  B) 

jcrg99 said:

Not sure what you wanted this to point out - looks like every other FPS game where the devs promised to 'Redefine the FPS genre'...

Then again this is alpha/pre alpha/concept/Bigfoot sighting footage, so dunno...  /shrug

Axllow18 said:
    jcrg99 said:

Huh. That looked pretty nifty.

If you can do that boarding other ships in a large persistent world then... yeah... that would be pushing the boundary.

Sooooooo... Am I supposed to be shocked that an alpha build looks like an Alpha build? Or what?
    Ahhh so he is making a  Duke Nukem 3D, or is it a Quake oh maybe Crysis, no it's Unreal Tournament. Is he even serious? All that money for a first person shooter in space?

Brenics said:
    Axllow18 said:

Ahhh so he is making a  Duke Nukem 3D, or is it a Quake oh maybe Crysis, no it's Unreal Tournament. Is he even serious? All that money for a first person shooter in space?
    What exactly did you expect from the FPS module of the game? I kinda figured the "FPS" part was a bit self explanatory?

Bren, you've been fairly level headed in our discussions in the past so even you have to see that saying their is nothing "revolutionary" in the ALPHA build of an FPS is a bit disingenuous. I'll grant you it looks like every other shooter in the space genre at this time but it is also an Alpha release.

I'm sitting in the middle here but it is very hard not to feel you are so dedicated to find anything to try to attack that you will take any opportunity to claim wrong doing, even when it is really not called for.

I've agreed with you on several occasions in the past, but this is starting to come off as just outright hate for the sake of hate man.

Also, you happen to have any butter? Fuckin dying over here man.
  • ArillixArillix Member UncommonPosts: 88

As I have said before, Citizencon  will blow us all away or it wont.

edited October 2015
    Axllow18 said:
    Brenics said:
    Axllow18 said:

What exactly did you expect from the FPS module of the game? I kinda figured the "FPS" part was a bit self explanatory?

Bren, you've been fairly level headed in our discussions in the past so even you have to see that saying their is nothing "revolutionary" in the ALPHA build of an FPS is a bit disingenuous. I'll grant you it looks like every other shooter in the space genre at this time but it is also an Alpha release.

I'm sitting in the middle here but it is very hard not to feel you are so dedicated to find anything to try to attack that you will take any opportunity to claim wrong doing, even when it is really not called for.

I've agreed with you on several occasions in the past, but this is starting to come off as just outright hate for the sake of hate man.

Also, you happen to have any butter? Fuckin dying over here man.
    What I don't get why use the cry engine, he would of been better off using the Unreal 4 engine. It would of made the shooter way better looking and I bet work a lot better. It couldn't of been the money. 

Hey am trying to give the game a shot, not for CR but the other developers working on the game. I'm just shocked I wasn't ready for that and yes I do hope it gets better tomorrow. Sorry but if that is all he has done in the last year? Then I have to hope he has more and after reading that article I have a bad feeling he really doesn't have a hell of a lot more.

Glad my alarm went off, I need my heart pills. :-D

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.