Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars Battlefront Beta: Curse of Star Wars games intact

ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
While I don't plan on buying Battlefront, I did check out the beta. I was immediately amazed by how careful they have been to bring authenticity to the game, to include the wear marks on the guns modeled from original props, and the sparks from explosions. 

But very quickly it becomes apparent that this game is even less meaty than its precursors. Everything is flux in the game, as you are forced to alternate between sides unless you leave the mode and come back. The loadout is accomplished by a hand of "cards" which are 3 static and one pickup. Spawning is nearly instantaneous and you are often spawned right where the fight is so it can be a bit weird at times spawning into enemy fire. 

The vehicles are typical of shooting game vehicles, where you control a speedboat in a goldfish bowl. The sights and sounds are still great, but there isn't much to the experience other than that. 

So in line with the curse of Star Wars games, this too is a blank little adventure that I can enjoy for about an hour. If you like small map shooters with simple mechanics then you may get some more time out of the game, but overall it's kind of a short duration thrill ride that leaves me wishing that ICE had made something more like the old 2142 game, or better yet, a MMOFPS like Planetside. 
MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures

Comments

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    Pretty much my main complaint for every Battlefront game ever made and all just like it. An indie studio with crap budget has a custom engine supporting 2000+ players in a small area at once yet EA can't make a game with a fraction of this on much smaller maps with nigh-infinite budget.

Something has to change in the industry.

You stay sassy!

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    +1 played it on both pc and ps4 and its really kind of a yawn
  • spidiispidii Member UncommonPosts: 143
    Yeah pretty lackluster, not worth 60 bucks.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    edited October 2015
    It felt like the ultimate SW mod to me, which I'd pay the base price of BF4 to play haha.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    They nailed the Star Wars feel, sound effects, graphics and models.. unfortunately the rest is utter crap.
    Did you guys fill out the feedback? LOL I let em have it with both barrels. Doubt they will even read it but I sure took the time to break it down for them.
  • ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    psiic said:
    Did you guys fill out the feedback? LOL I let em have it with both barrels. Doubt they will even read it but I sure took the time to break it down for them.
    Yeah me too. Hopefully they have turned over a new leaf when it comes to this stuff. I just think the fix is too big to happen
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Tamanous said:
    Pretty much my main complaint for every Battlefront game ever made and all just like it. An indie studio with crap budget has a custom engine supporting 2000+ players in a small area at once yet EA can't make a game with a fraction of this on much smaller maps with nigh-infinite budget.

I've always thought it was consoles trying to dominate the pc market.  So games are being geared to consoles making them tight little theme-parks with good graphics (and pc releases with toned down graphics) cause that's what consoles do best.  Hey mmorpg, how but an article about consoles vs pc, I double dog dare ya'  :-)

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    edited October 2015
    They could have made an awesome SW FPS game with tactics, territory control, frontlines switching ect.
    What did we get, just a pew pew game with idiotic spawn system with bland simplistic gameplay.
  • AirwrenAirwren Member UncommonPosts: 648
    I haven't gotten a chance to play the beta yet, but I feel like DICE has changed since Bad Company 2 and not in a good way.  Also, in before "this is beta"
  • IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    It's Origin so it doesn't get installed.  But I've heard nothing but praise from the console-rs that I know that are playing it.  It's interesting to hear.   But of course, they enjoy the re-hashed annual COD's and Halo 6,000 and the like.  
    Ikeda said:
    It's Origin so it doesn't get installed.  But I've heard nothing but praise from the console-rs that I know that are playing it.  It's interesting to hear.   But of course, they enjoy the re-hashed annual COD's and Halo 6,000 and the like.  
    It's hard not to make a judgment based on that report, but I imagine it will get enough support to be a fucking grand success in EA conference calls and meetings. It's such a waste though, because you can see what it could have been. 
  • MilanderMilander Member UncommonPosts: 178
    Tamanous said:

I've always thought it was consoles trying to dominate the pc market.  So games are being geared to consoles making them tight little theme-parks with good graphics (and pc releases with toned down graphics) cause that's what consoles do best.  Hey mmorpg, how but an article about consoles vs pc, I double dog dare ya'  :-)

Yes yes....PC vs Console.....The eternal struggle of .... hell to sum it up bluntly, a Star Wars fan looking at a Star Trek fan and calling them a nerd. Truly pointless.

• sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950
    I don't know how DICE's employee list now compares to what it was when they published good games. Maybe they've lost their talent, maybe they have it and have to sit sullenly while EA shits the bed for them. Either way, DICE hasn't proved itself capable of making something like 2142 since they did make it.
  • Astro6Astro6 Member UncommonPosts: 247
    edited October 2015
    There is no substance in the game i was hoping for a star wars battlefront similar to Planetside 2, but after trying the beta i will not even bother playing it nothing more than alpha battlefield with starwars skins and sounds.

• dorugudorugu Member UncommonPosts: 184
    itll sell on star wars name  alone no doubt thts what they count on so y work harder thn they have 2? :)
    jus mix some stuff 2gether slap star wars name on it n itll sell any way :)
  • DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    edited October 2015
    Dice has really gone backwards as far as game play, i look back at older battlefield games and they are just superior in every single way except graphics. Its almost like if you want good graphics then you must have a shallow crappy game to go with it.

just one example. Flying mechanics in Battlefield 2/2142  simply amazing, after that each new game they get worse and now in Battlefront its a total joke, i mean come on the star wars N64 hoth flying was better.

anybody who has tried flying in this game knows what im saying, its a total mess.

If you strip all the star wars off this game, nobody would touch it. but because its star wars they will make millions and think they made something good that everybody wants and we will get more trash like this in the future.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Every time I join a game I get:

The session is no longer available

yay me...

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

sketocafe said:
    I don't know how DICE's employee list now compares to what it was when they published good games. Maybe they've lost their talent, maybe they have it and have to sit sullenly while EA shits the bed for them. Either way, DICE hasn't proved itself capable of making something like 2142 since they did make it.
    Planetside star wars would be awesome

DrunkWolf said:
    Dice has really gone backwards as far as game play, i look back at older battlefield games and they are just superior in every single way except graphics. Its almost like if you want good graphics then you must have a shallow crappy game to go with it.

just one example. Flying mechanics in Battlefield 2/2142  simply amazing, after that each new game they get worse and now in Battlefront its a total joke, i mean come on the star wars N64 hoth flying was better.

anybody who has tried flying in this game knows what im saying, its a total mess.

If you strip all the star wars off this game, nobody would touch it. but because its star wars they will make millions and think they made something good that everybody wants and we will get more trash like this in the future.
    Man you said it. Couldn't agree more
  • BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939
    Downloading it now to see exactly what you guys are talking about. 
    I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044
    edited October 2015
    Would be nice to play it but I get a black screen at launch and have to Ctrl/alt/del to get out. I'm using Nvidia SW:B beta-ready drivers and also tried rolling back to the old ones too. Also I'm well above Minimum specs. Looked on the Intertubes and found nothing to help me.

EDIT: I got it to work. I had to keep pressing Enter repeatedly then it came on.

I have to agree with most of ya. Very repetitive. But that's what I don't like about games like this. If it had a full SP campaign I would by it in a second.
    Post edited by bartoni33 on

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939
    bartoni33 said:
    Would be nice to play it but I get a black screen at launch and have to Ctrl/alt/del to get out. I'm using Nvidia SW:B beta-ready drivers and also tried rolling back to the old ones too. Also I'm well above Minimum specs. Looked on the Intertubes and found nothing to help me.
    May want to contact support and send them your directx report.

Open DirectX Diagnostic Tool by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, typing dxdiag in the search box, and then pressing Enter.
    I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Tried Battlefront and the Unreal Tournament Pre-alpha on the same day. UT pre-alpha is still on my system.
    Certainly the opposite here, I can't get into that type of FPS. It's not the fast paced nature that bugs me, I grew up on fast paced games, it's the ridiculousness of the mechanics. Always hated games like Tribes as well.

My favorites are ARMA(2+3) and Red Orchestra 2, followed by Battlefield esque games. I always looked at Battlefront as a Battelfield rip off with star wars skins made for consoles. It had nothing in terms of game-play on the actual BF series though. Especially in that era. SO a SW battlefield skin made at AAA production values is right up my alley.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044
    Brenics said:
    bartoni33 said:
    May want to contact support and send them your directx report.

Open DirectX Diagnostic Tool by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, typing dxdiag in the search box, and then pressing Enter.
    Thanks but I got it to work by pressing enter repeatedly.

Oh and by the way hello Guildie! I've been a member of Grievance for a few years but rarely get to play with them anymore.

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.