Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen Employees Speak Out on Project Woes!

Comments

• BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939
    edited October 2015
    Teala said:
    Iselin said:
    Teala said:
    I answered your inquiry here >>>>   Star Citizen - why do you care?
    Sounds to me like you just want SC to be discussed by backers only. Although, I can relate to that feeling sometimes when people that don't play the MMOs I play pop-in to their forums here to trash them (know what I mean?) it's really a silly notion to put forward on a public site where gamers talk about games.

It's not only an interesting thing to watch there are potential important repercussions here that go to a variety of subjects such as crowd funding in general, pre-release hypes, pre-release spending habits of dreamers and those who profit by it... all kinds of shit I'm interested in.

So pardon me but I think I'll keep right on discussing it (without jumping in CR's or DS's bus) and not give CIG a dime until they release something I want to play... if ever.
    I don't care if people discuss SC - on the game itself.  What some people on these forums are doing is more or less trying to bring the game down - see it fail and they have not even donated to the game one red cent.   They have no dog in this fight at all.  Plus, they ride the coat tails of some guy that has proven he can't make a playable game if his life depending on it think he's the next coming of Gesus on a stick...as if Derek Smart has one once of trustworthyness in his entire body. 

As for this having ramifications on crowdfunding.    It won't do jack squat to crowdfunding.   So many projects have failed on crowd funding - hundreds and people still give money.  Why?  Because they can and hope the project goes through as planned.   Very few donors have any doubt that the project the donate to has a chance that it will not see the light of day.  It's the chance they are willing to take.   If you are not willing to take that chance - don't donate - it's not your money to worry about.  

So what you are saying you do not want us posting about anything we aren't connected too? So there is no reason to even come here other than for me would be posting in LOTRO and ESOTU? Is that what you are saying?

Another good read and look it was posted months ago.

http://www.wired.com/2015/03/fans-dropped-77m-guys-buggy-half-built-game/

I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

• AnnaTSAnnaTS Member UncommonPosts: 600
    edited October 2015
    AnnaTS said:
    Brenics said:
    the entire games industry wants SC to fail , to make sure kickstarter for games dies.
    WOW it's a conspiracy. Dude take off the tin foil hat.
    This is probably why some people don't like my posts because i have been replying to people like Dren_Utogi.

I made some comments last night asking why chris didn't use his own money to make the game and comparing star citizen to project titan, they said my comments where redundant and they come out with a comment like this. 

the entire games industry wants SC to fail , to make sure kickstarter for games dies.

Ok yes that is what is going on. lol

In all honesty, and not saying you shouldn't feel free to post here, but when you are seen to be putting an exhausting number of posts into a subject people begin to feel you have an agenda rather than just wanting to shoot the breeze. And of course if your point of view is the opposite of theirs they will immediately think "CONSPIRACY".
    I will admit maybe some of my posts probably do come across as being harsh i don't intentionally mean them that way but i usually say things as i can see them, i only posted to state my view and some how i have seemed to of got sucked in, i was only showing an interest in the game because more threads kept coming on the forum about the game and that was way before all this started. 

I don't have an agenda i was just posted my view as i see it and trying to get a point across, but i don't think my view or the point i was trying to get across didn't go down well with some people.

• user547user547 Member UncommonPosts: 150
    Roberts didn't use all of his own money to make the game for the same reason everyone else uses other people's money to fund any large capital project.  Because they don't have to and because that's the way it's done in business normally.

As far as the gaming "industry" is concerned (using that term loosely for anything that doesn't actually produce tangible goods), of course vested interests don't want competition.  Of course people who currently have a stake in an older way of doing things don't want to lose that measure of control they have. 

It is horribly naive to think that the monopolistic impulse doesn't exist in gaming because it is somehow different than any other business.  Nobody wants to lose a captive audience, especially when the audience is a) getting restless and b) is on the verge of having a way around the monopolists.

The money that came into gaming did not do it any favors, as the business has pushed out less and less quality products as time has gone on.  Graphics have improved marginally, thanks to a bag of tricks every so often, but the games themselves are lackluster.  It would not be a disaster if there were more competition from small, agile studios.  But no competitor roots for the enemy, so it shouldn't shock anyone to see ill will towards crowdfunding from the old guard.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Teala said:
    Iselin said:
    Teala said:
    Sounds to me like you just want SC to be discussed by backers only. Although, I can relate to that feeling sometimes when people that don't play the MMOs I play pop-in to their forums here to trash them (know what I mean?) it's really a silly notion to put forward on a public site where gamers talk about games.

It's not only an interesting thing to watch there are potential important repercussions here that go to a variety of subjects such as crowd funding in general, pre-release hypes, pre-release spending habits of dreamers and those who profit by it... all kinds of shit I'm interested in.

So pardon me but I think I'll keep right on discussing it (without jumping in CR's or DS's bus) and not give CIG a dime until they release something I want to play... if ever.
    I don't care if people discuss SC - on the game itself.  What some people on these forums are doing is more or less trying to bring the game down - see it fail and they have not even donated to the game one red cent.   They have no dog in this fight at all.  Plus, they ride the coat tails of some guy that has proven he can't make a playable game if his life depending on it think he's the next coming of Gesus on a stick...as if Derek Smart has one once of trustworthyness in his entire body. 

As for this having ramifications on crowdfunding.    It won't do jack squat to crowdfunding.   So many projects have failed on crowd funding - hundreds and people still give money.  Why?  Because they can and hope the project goes through as planned.   Very few donors have any doubt that the project the donate to has a chance that it will not see the light of day.  It's the chance they are willing to take.   If you are not willing to take that chance - don't donate - it's not your money to worry about.  
    There has been some low profile shit been exposed for not doing the KS right - financially, with their lack of technical expertise or ethically. Bu this ain't some low profile crowd funding two-bit game, so yes, it will do more than jack squat. And maybe you haven't noticed but gamer's attitude towards crowdfunding has been getting a bit more skeptical and jaded over time.

Will people still "donate" to future projects even if SC fails? Yeah, they probably will and they'll pay $149 for alpha and beta access and all kinds of other crazy shit... I still remember when $149 seemed like an outrageously large amount to give for Landmark and Archeage ahead of release. Now it just seems like a drop in the bucket compared to the cost of CIG ships.

Yeah. It's their money and they can take chances with it or not... and gambling also should not be regulated... and while we're at it let's not regulate stocks either. Because, you know, people know the risks and it's their money after all.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    edited October 2015
    Derek Smart will be in Jail soon enough if he keeps pretending he is protected by the 5th amendment. DS Lawyers is in full bluff mode.
    I think we all know this is the equivalent of his lawyer

If you look into the interwebz you´ll find out that Smart has a history of lawsuit threatening for 20 years.
    It´s his special ability, press F5 for lawsuit threat.
    DocBrody said:
    Derek Smart will be in Jail soon enough if he keeps pretending he is protected by the 5th amendment. DS Lawyers is in full bluff mode.

If you look into the interwebz you´ll find out that Smart has a history of lawsuit threatening for 20 years.
    Seriously, the guy is a joke.  It's amazing he has so many people snowed over this considering how easy it is to find out what he's really about with the power of googles.
    Same can be said about CR.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    edited October 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • AnnaTSAnnaTS Member UncommonPosts: 600
    edited October 2015
    AnnaTS said:
    Brenics said:
    This is probably why some people don't like my posts because i have been replying to people like Dren_Utogi.

I made some comments last night asking why chris didn't use his own money to make the game and comparing star citizen to project titan, they said my comments where redundant and they come out with a comment like this. 

All of your questions , no one on this forum can answer. Maybe you should go and try the SC forums instead of trolling people ? Every single question, and answer is all speculation.

No one out side of the SC development team has the answer.

So instead of continueing to be redundent like this entire thread with an infinity loop of speculative bull shit , even my own. Why dont we all take a big spoon full of shut the fuck up and wait until the game is released on the release date or wait to see if the game is pushed back to 2017.

This is my last post of speculation and getting caught up in "hear say" bull shit that doesnt do anyone any good.

Have fun with what ever all of you are trying to accomplish with whatever speculative bullshit you  spew.

Its all redundant.
    You see this is the type of people i have been replying too at least i raised some valid comments and don't post stuff like this.

You just carry on thinking everybody hates chris roberts and wants star citizen to fail when most people don't at all.

Alex Jone is selling more tinfoil hats if you need a fresh one. lol
  • BMBenderBMBender Member UncommonPosts: 827
    Iselin said:
    Teala said:

There is also the small point that those who aren't invested either as backers or "haters" are an untapped market.  The argument is that they should "just stay away"?  ooookkk good plan.

• SmartySmartSmartySmart Member UncommonPosts: 312
    Brenics said:
    DocBrody said:
    Dren_Utogi said:

Seriously, the guy is a joke.  It's amazing he has so many people snowed over this considering how easy it is to find out what he's really about with the power of googles.
    Always the same... 

when I googled CR in comparison to DS I found enough evidence that his past famous games had some major influence. I als played some of his games and had much fun and still have some awesome memories.

I loved Lucky Number Slevin and Lord of War (by the time I was not aware he was the producer), enjoyed The Punisher and to a certain degree Outlander and well... the Wing Commander movie was not the best (especially the visualization of the Kilrathi) but I watched  it again some time ago and it was ok... Maniac was the best part of the movie.

So some time has passed and he made his experiences in the movie business but just comparing him to DS is absurd.

Just comparing their works shows clearly who had more success.

They are completely different people. Their only similarity I see and researched are the narcissistic tendencies which by the way are quite common on the upper management levels. 

But a narcissistic tendency is by far not as bad as a Narcissistic Personality Disorder which DS has. 
  • fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240
    Brenics said:
    DocBrody said:

But CR had Wing Commander; a game a LOT of people loved. Nostalgia plays a lot into people trusting CR and it is understandable.

DS on the other hand, he hasn't made a functioning / worthwhile game in like, well, ever. He treats players like garbage and is always threatening lawsuits if you hurt his feelings. How people can take anything he says seriously is beyond mystifying.

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

edited October 2015

Yeah CR had one game and it seems he wasn't the lead on it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wing_Commander_(video_game)

I will give it to him he did create it but he wasn't the only code writer if he wrote any code.

The game did have bugs and I find this one cool and how they fixed it.

It would print out a message similar to with additional information. The team could not isolate and fix the error "EMM386 Memory manager error..." and they needed to ship it as soon as possible. As a work-around, one of the game's programmers, Ken Demarest III, hex-edited the memory manager so it displayed a different message. Instead of the error message, it printed "Thank you for playing Wing Commander." =)

At least he wasn't perfect he had bugs in his game.

He made a movie about it and it failed big time. So CR isn't all that.

Also CR hasn't made a game in 12 years, so who are we comparing him too? DS? Wow big deal.

Post edited by Brenics on

• BMBenderBMBender Member UncommonPosts: 827
    edited October 2015
    Edited for irrelevance, return to your regularly scheduled programing

Brenics said:

I will give it to him he did create it but he wasn't the only code writer if he wrote any code.

It would print out a message similar to "EMM386 Memory manager error..." with additional information. The team could not isolate and fix the error and they needed to ship it as soon as possible. As a work-around, one of the game's programmers, Ken Demarest III, hex-edited the memory manager so it displayed a different message. Instead of the error message, it printed "Thank you for playing Wing Commander."[3] =)

Also CR hasn't made a game in 12 years, so who are we comparing him too? DS? Wow big deal.

Lol! I see what you did there! Playing it off like Wing Commander was nothing specia...

Oh wait, you are being serious? 

Like 'serious' serious?!

Quick, do you smell toast?

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,389
    edited October 2015
    AnnaTS said:
    AnnaTS said:
    Brenics said:

In all honesty, and not saying you shouldn't feel free to post here, but when you are seen to be putting an exhausting number of posts into a subject people begin to feel you have an agenda rather than just wanting to shoot the breeze. And of course if your point of view is the opposite of theirs they will immediately think "CONSPIRACY".
    I will admit maybe some of my posts probably do come across as being harsh i don't intentionally mean them that way but i usually say things as i can see them, i only posted to state my view and some how i have seemed to of got sucked in, i was only showing an interest in the game because more threads kept coming on the forum about the game and that was way before all this started. 

I don't have an agenda i was just posted my view as i see it and trying to get a point across, but i don't think my view or the point i was trying to get across didn't go down well with some people.

Don't play the poor misunderstood victim, you have been told your posts are redundant because they are and you seem intent on ramming the same thing down everyones throat. 

When We point out we got the dang message so feel free to move on to a different argument You get like you do in the post you quoted of Dren Utogi and very like a hypocrite try to lump us all together with Dren Utogi.

You seem to want to do this kind of thing ad nauseam and think we wont see it or so you can keep playing the poor damsel in distress.

Heh and you keep going on about SC fanatics...lol

We can sum up your posts to:

~ OMGZ why are SC fanatics so gullible and blind it is unhealthy for them

~OMGZ why do people trust CR he just a man on the interwebz, they must be SC fanatics 0.o.0 (and here u lump in anyone that doesn't agree with your statements or reasoning)

~ Why doesn't CR do what I WANT and stop selling ship to prove to me that he's not scamming me

~ OMG if your not a fanatic why wont you  jump in my bandwagon and demand the same from CR that I want

~ OMG why doesn't anyone listen to me

~ OMG I can''t help you if you don't understand how my mind works o.0o.o

Rinse and repeat with different words and not subtle variations....

Ad nauseam

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

fyerwall said:
    Brenics said:

It would print out a message similar to "EMM386 Memory manager error..." with additional information. The team could not isolate and fix the error and they needed to ship it as soon as possible. As a work-around, one of the game's programmers, Ken Demarest III, hex-edited the memory manager so it displayed a different message. Instead of the error message, it printed ""Thank you for playing Wing Commander."[3] =)

Lol! I see what you did there! Playing it off like Wing Commander was nothing specia...

Oh wait, you are being serious? 

Like 'serious' serious?!

Quick, do you smell toast?
    Well Roberts has one thing in common with Smedly they both created 1 great game.

• laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    As much as I hate this whole situation, it does act as a "publisher". It puts pressure on CIG to deliver, which might not be a bad thing in the long run.
  • aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Roberts created 5 good games that I know of from personal experience; I haven't played all his games so I can't comment on the ones I haven't played.  Granted, whether or not a game is "good" is subjective, but I think Roberts' reputation as a developer of good games is well-deserved.
    I think the thing that CR is very good at in terms of game development is conceptualization and art direction - I think it is quite fair to say that (as a current player of ED myself) that even the arts and design of the ships back from the days of Freelancer (or even Privateer) is way better than any of the design that any of the Elites, or X series, or EVE, imo.

He also is very good in forging the lore and feel of the game universe itself.

The problem of course, as mentioned many times already, he is just not a good project manager...

Roberts created 5 good games that I know of from personal experience; I haven't played all his games so I can't comment on the ones I haven't played.  Granted, whether or not a game is "good" is subjective, but I think Roberts' reputation as a developer of good games is well-deserved.
    I think the thing that CR is very good at in terms of game development is conceptualization and art direction - I think it is quite fair to say that (as a current player of ED myself) that even the arts and design of the ships back from the days of Freelancer (or even Privateer) is way better than any of the design that any of the Elites, or X series, or EVE, imo.

The problem of course, as mentioned many times already, he is just not a good project manager...

Yep I agree with this, reading about him and the games he was involved in it was others that helped get his idea within the games.

• Axllow18Axllow18 Member UncommonPosts: 400
    Brenics said:

Yep I agree with this, reading about him and the games he was involved in it was others that helped get his idea within the games.
    To be fair though, Roberts is someone who is honestly passionate about gaming and making games and he's done fairly well minus his inability to keep from going over the top on feature creep. I mean he's had more successes under his belt than failures, and many good developers have had flops projects in the past.

I'm still going to wait to see how this all pans out, but if there is DEFINITELY a flaw Roberts has, it is the inability to say "Ok. We have enough features now."

Seriously. Chris needs someone to sit next to him and wait for that sparkle in his eye to start and then yell no at him and hit him with a rolled up paper.

Agreed. I've played all of his space sims when they were new. They were a hell of a lot of fun and pushed the technical envelope for those days. I really hope he can pull this one off too despite his project management shortcomings.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Iselin said:

There has been some low profile shit been exposed for not doing the KS right - financially, with their lack of technical expertise or ethically. Bu this ain't some low profile crowd funding two-bit game, so yes, it will do more than jack squat. And maybe you haven't noticed but gamer's attitude towards crowdfunding has been getting a bit more skeptical and jaded over time.

Will people still "donate" to future projects even if SC fails? Yeah, they probably will and they'll pay $149 for alpha and beta access and all kinds of other crazy shit... I still remember when $149 seemed like an outrageously large amount to give for Landmark and Archeage ahead of release. Now it just seems like a drop in the bucket compared to the cost of CIG ships.

Yeah. It's their money and they can take chances with it or not... and gambling also should not be regulated... and while we're at it let's not regulate stocks either. Because, you know, people know the risks and it's their money after all.
    Are people that gamble doing so to help a casino make a product? Are people investing in stocks so they can see a product be a success, not really... It's quite the opposite, they're investing so they can flourish.

Totally different things. That's what makes no sense to me about those who post strong opinions against KS or Crowd funding in general. I don't see where the motivation in it is, as those doing this aren't just doing it willy nilly, they have reasons that they want to do it. Because they can afford to do it.

Committing fraud (scamming) is already a crime, that's the worst that can happen, and there are laws to protect against it. Hence all the hoopla right now CR and crew are facing.. So what more regulation is needed?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Axllow18 said:
    Brenics said:

To be fair though, Roberts is someone who is honestly passionate about gaming and making games and he's done fairly well minus his inability to keep from going over the top on feature creep. I mean he's had more successes under his belt than failures, and many good developers have had flops projects in the past.

I'm still going to wait to see how this all pans out, but if there is DEFINITELY a flaw Roberts has, it is the inability to say "Ok. We have enough features now."

Seriously. Chris needs someone to sit next to him and wait for that sparkle in his eye to start and then yell no at him and hit him with a rolled up paper.
    They should have had him fitted with a voice activated shock collar programmed to deliver a shock when key words/phrases are spoken like:

"You know what else we could ad-" *ZzzZZZZAAAAP!*

"We should add-" *zzzZZZAAAP!*

"Honestly, The Star Wars prequels weren't really all that ba-" *ZAP! ZZZZZZZZZZZZAAAAAAAP! ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZAAAAAAAAAAAAP!!!*

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Axllow18 said:
    and that was when Chris Roberts, Paul Neurath and Richard Garriott was a team (back in the days of Origin, imo that was their golden years).

Ever since the split I feel as if they weren't as good compare to before separately (RG's art in his games wasn't as good anymore, CR projects overblown in size, PN's games were all pretty decent but he is just no good at marketing them)
    Distopia said:

Committing fraud (scamming) is already a crime, that's the worst that can happen, and there are laws to protect against it. Hence all the hoopla right now CR and crew are facing.. So what more regulation is needed?

Oh I don't know... mandatory quarterly financial reports for any KS project over 100K? Too much to ask for?

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED