Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this game for me?

SolarmSolarm Member Posts: 10

So I posted on the general discussions board but wanted to post on the individual game boards of the ones I'm looking at as well.  In the process of trying to track down a new MMORPG to play and have not been overly impressed with most ones I've tried.  Was hoping someone could tell me FFXI is my sort of game or not.  I was an ENORMOUS fan of the single person FFs for console, but I'm more hesitant about the online version. 

Anyways, what I'm looking for is a gamewith depth and options - I enjoy PvP, PvM and crafting.  I like a game I can play casually since frankly, I don't have the kind of time to invest in the game that some of the EQ1 people do.  This doesn't mean I need easy leveling as I'm in no hurry to get to end game if there's a fun road to GET there.  I mainly just hate games where if I can only log in for an hour (which is most of the time) it isn't even worth bothering.  Games with solo options are great because when I do play, its often at weird hours.  I don't like games where I HAVE to be online at certain times so 20 people can help with "this" so I can progress.  If I'm online at the time for such activities great, but I never plan on it.  Graphics get no more than a "meh" from me - content is much more important.  Most importantly, I need a good community.  WoW seems like a great game but I can't deal with the fact that the community is just TERRIBLE.   Near impossible to track down any remotely adult person there.  So mature crowd is a definite must.

Anyways, let me know if you think it fits my description.  If it doesn't and you have other suggestions let me know:)  Its basically going to boil down to this or giving DAoC another try I think. 

Thanks for the help!

Comments

• zizorzizor Member Posts: 27

I used to play a year or so ago.  Now i didn't reach end game, but i got to see how some things worked.  Soloing doesn't work at all.  And it an usually take up to 30mins just to get a group, if your lucky.  The crafting system is long,tedious, and boring form what I've heard.  But that was more than a year ago, so I don't know for sure.  But with only an hour per session, I'm postitive you won;t get anything done in FFXI.  Good luck.

• MythagoMythago Member Posts: 23

Trying this out at the moment and I'm not quite sure what to make of it yet.

So far it is very unfriendly for noobs, no guides, pointers at start, compared to WoW a nightmare.

But I have to say that there is something about this MMO that keeps dragging me back to explore it more, I can't put a finger on what it is.....not the munchkins..I want to kill them awlly wally!!

After a while things start to make sense, and combat is ok, but slow.

What seems good is the detail and very friendly player base, but I do have a feeling that grouping is a must later on.

Levels take a while, not like WoW and you feel you have acheived something when you level.

Not sure what to make of this....little things like where you are supposed to hand in your starter coupon are annoying and don't make you feel welcome.

Time wil tell, my free month is the test and I'm trying to keep an open mind.

Beta testing AutoAssault and it is fun, not so sure yet about FFXI, but there is a hook even if I can't figure it out yet....might well be long term appeal?

• Alexis598Alexis598 Member Posts: 111

Don't worry as soon as you get a friendly, helpful LS you'll be all right.

One thing I love of this game (and one thing other people hate) is the teamwork, I mean, I love to XP in Experience Points Parties, even if some tiems it takes a while to get a party. It's not like that you;r off on you're own trying to find the person you need to talk to for the quest.

Good luck on your adventures and welcome to Vana'diel!image

• livremlivrem Member Posts: 20

From what I've read on forums it seems that you start partying around level 10, but some classes are able to solo beyond that - like beastmasters for example. And some job combinations are less desirable in a group than others.
    But I have no clue really, I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive. I've played many mmo's but atm I'm not playing anything (except Weird Worlds hehe).

btw, what's LS?

• MythagoMythago Member Posts: 23

LS= Link Shell = clan/guild

• FongsaiyukFongsaiyuk Member Posts: 16

Good Morning,

I've been on and off Final Fantasy XI for the past 2 years now. And I must say theres something definately appealing about the game that keeps drawing me back in. Over the time that I haven't been on it, I've been on different MMORPG like Everquest II, City of Heroes, Guild Wars, Silk Road but they don't seem to compare.

Just the level of quality I think. I can't describe how sorry.

People do complain about party invites and why they never get any, but the fact is, "Party" is what makes Final Fantasy, Final Fantasy.

Most Popular jobs wanted in parties:

Bard
    White Mage - Can make adjustments and have a Summoner
    Red Mage
    Ninja

Jobs that aren't likely to party unless you have fantastic equipment:

Dragoon...

People just have it out against them.

But I like playing all jobs, more melee though.

I've got a level 75 Beastmaster and 70 Warrior. Beastmaster are in theory the only solowing jobs, they're lots of fun to play and later on you can party with other Beastmasters which makes it more fun. Although Square-Enix has recen'ty gimp them a bit so now they can't solo as well. So most of them are resorting to actually getting a normal party invite. They've also gimped Ranger (use to being the highest damage dealer) they're almost in the same boat as a Dragoon, although they still can outdamage lots of other jobs, but it's a iffy situation.

Most players do tend to join parties after level 10, although you can get a few more levels before you really want to go into it. Just remember each party always needs atleast a Healer (White Mage, Summoner) and a tank (Paladin, Ninja)

Crafting is a bit repetitive and tedius, but you get cool looking rewards if you work hard enough, I personally haven't worked hard enough because of recent inflation I can't really continue. Though since Square-Enix has done something about, prices of items and equipments are now dropping again. So looks like I can contiue with my Clothcraft.

The world of Vanadiel itself is huge and definately has lots to explore, though that can be a bad thing I think, since some times travel to certain places to level can be a very long journey, but you'll get a Chocobo and teleport and you're fine really.

There are tons of quests and Missions to do, which have very good indept story lines. Though problem with missions usually is the fact that you always will require perfect party setups and people willing to help you, which in most cases are rather difficult to form. But once you do get a linkshell it may come easier. Although my Linkshell plays a awkward time from me so I'm unable to do events when they. Although I don't mind, I'm only trying to level my Warrior now and get some pretty equipment for him.

One of the good things is that you can continue to change you job whenever you get tired of being something, and theres a quest that if you get them all 65+ and defeat this guy called Maat, then you get a pretty hat. Though I don't really know anyone that has succeeeded this yet.

Well I've talked long enough, hope some of this information remotely helps! Take care~

Fongsaiyuk
    75 Beastmaster, 70 Warrior
    Energy Linkshell
    Bahamut Server

• kemoniokemonio Member Posts: 4
    I played FFXI for about a year. I really did love the game. It is a little slow but you have to be patient with it and really enjoy and embrace it. A lot of people thinks it sucks because of the gameplay becuase it does take a while to level and there are a lot of things you need to do. I do miss the game. I had to quit cause I dont have a job anymore to play it. but anyways, I do love the activities they have, the different skills you can aquire. There are a lot of good things about the game. And based on your description of a good game I t hin kthat FFXI is the game for you.
  • kemoniokemonio Member Posts: 4
    I played FFXI for about a year. I really did love the game. It is a little slow but you have to be patient with it and really enjoy and embrace it. A lot of people thinks it sucks because of the gameplay becuase it does take a while to level and there are a lot of things you need to do. I do miss the game. I had to quit cause I dont have a job anymore to play it. but anyways, I do love the activities they have, the different skills you can aquire. There are a lot of good things about the game. And based on your description of a good game I t hin kthat FFXI is the game for you.