Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Now stop simplifying MMO's

Comments

• Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    Axehilt said:

waynejr2 said:
    I say all in video game accomplishments are nothing.
    Skillful things are always impressive accomplishments (relative to the amount of skill involved.)
    I'm generally not impressed by what people do in games now.

I was a lot more impressed by people who could find something with no tutorials or maps than someone who could look up a tutorial and follow it for a few fights at end game in today's MMOs.

There was a reason only a few people were able to find certain things in games.  Only a few had the ability to map things out, think outside of the box, and problem solve their way through it.

I was not one of those people and was always impressed by that.

People who can do combat are a dime a dozen.  It's proven by how many people play MMOs now.
  • ImpmonImpmon Member UncommonPosts: 81
    Everquest was hard yet it was fun.  Quest npc's didn't have exclamation marks over their heads.  You had to walk up to npc's in towns, click "h" to hail them which opened dialogue.  You had to actually read the dialogue and type in proper words to open up other dialogue options.  Otherwise you got no quests.

What quests there was originally lol...  getting a rare drop item from a rare spawning npc that only appeared once per week... stuff like that.

You had exp loss upon death.  Hell levels.  When you died you respawned naked & had to run back to your corpse to retain items.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Flyte27 said:
    Accomplishments in games are just illusions to enhance the fun. If you beat some scripted encounter developers design to let 5% of the players to beat, is that a "real" accomplishment?

If the illusion is good (e.g. single player games), players don't mind millions of others who have done the same thing.

If you want the accomplishment to have more of a grounding, play e-sports.  
     O.o  I'm not sure you understand how video games work. How would playing e-sports be any different than any other online game?
    Really? e-sport you COMPETE with other human beings.

PvE solo and MP online ... you don't. In fact, solo online games (and don't say there isn't any .. D3 is a good example of being solo & online) ... you can avoid even seeing another human players. 

If you cannot tell the difference ... well ... may be you should try to play these games.
    This is actually not true in old PvE games.

You had to compete not just with the determination to keep playing when exhausted, but to outplay other people in terms of kill stealing, people bring trains on you, getting good deals with no auction house, getting loot with no rolling system, getting camp spots, getting to max level, etc.  It was a competition for many people and a lot of it was direct competition.  It just wasn't in the form of PvP. 
    But PvE games have evolved .... who cares (aside from some veterans here,  i guess) old pve games.

The new ones can be played as single player games. Now tell me those are the same as e-sports.

Flyte27 said:

I was a lot more impressed by people who could find something with no tutorials or maps than someone who could look up a tutorial and follow it for a few fights at end game in today's MMOs.

lol .. finding things is impressive? That is trivial. I remember playing the first Might and Magic and you have to map with graph paper. A lot of work .. yes. Difficult ... no ... how hard can it be to just put you see on paper? Boring ... very much so.

But you are right .. why be impressed with ANYONE playing video games? Whether someone can play a video game or not has very little bearing on their intellect, or success in real life (not that they are mutually exclusive).
  • ZultraZultra Member UncommonPosts: 385
    There are MMOs in development that won't be simple, which has a large amount of complexity in-built which will enhance the overall game -shameless plug - Chronicles of Elyria which is in development for example is one of those which will redifine MMORPGs in a low-fantasy setting (more information can be found in my signature).

To sum it up, the industry is becoming much more fluid. 
    Sign up for Chronicles of Elyria here don't forget to use my friend code - B4ACB3

Join the revolutionary MMO! 
  • AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    Flyte27 said:

There was a reason only a few people were able to find certain things in games.  Only a few had the ability to map things out, think outside of the box, and problem solve their way through it.

People who can do combat are a dime a dozen.  It's proven by how many people play MMOs now.
    Eh? Finding things in games rarely took much skill; most often it was simply time and exploration which anyone (with time) can achieve. Rarely has there been "thinking outside the box" required to finding things in games. It's be strange for you to be impressed by things anyone with time can do, and not to be impressed by things which only the 1% most skilled players can do.

We're not talking about people who can "do combat" (as you put it).  Sitting in combat just auto-attacking is not skill.  I'm talking about skill.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

Axehilt said:
    immodium said:
    A lot of the games that defined the genre were built around those chump mechanics.

Becoming a Jedi in SWG for example. There was no skill involved, just excessive repetition. Devs did realise and changed the method a few times. All based around chump mechanics.
    Agreed, and they were more literally "chump mechanics" in the case of early MMORPGs because those excessive timesinks were specifically designed to sell more subscriptions.  Excessive repetition wasn't implemented to make the game more fun, it was implemented to make money off chumps.

Axehilt said:
    Flyte27 said:

Eh? Finding things in games rarely took much skill; most often it was simply time and exploration which anyone (with time) can achieve. Rarely has there been "thinking outside the box" required to finding things in games. It's be strange for you to be impressed by things anyone with time can do, and not to be impressed by things which only the 1% most skilled players can do.

We're not talking about people who can "do combat" (as you put it).  Sitting in combat just auto-attacking is not skill.  I'm talking about skill.
    I think your argument is fairly untrue.  Most people would quit fairly quickly when encountering anything that requires time, effort, patience, and problem solving.

Even if you had something that just required you to sit in the same spot and wait there are few that could actually do that even if they had the time.

A lot of people in other activities in life have plenty of time to do something or could make the time if they wanted to, but cannot accomplish a certain task even though they may well be capable of doing it.

I think we need to stop with the idea that if you have enough time you can accomplish anything.  You don't need just time, but also dedication to the task at hand.
  • DrCokePepsiDrCokePepsi Member UncommonPosts: 177
    If you wonder why people dont stay long with MMO's anymore, well, thats because they are to simple, to easy and not challenging anymore..  Most MMO players are veterans these days, and dont want to be pampered..

Now where is that AAA+ MMO, that brings back challenge in combat, adds the right amount of AI to fights, rewards risk taken but penalises failure..

Now where is that AAA+ MMO, that has deep character development and brings the min/maxers back into the game (dont we all remember staring hours at our PnP character sheets to find out what step next. No more single advancement paths, but a deep system with subtree after subtree and choices to be made (and reversing, if at all, those choices being a hard days of work)

Now where is that AAA+ MMO, that has the perfect mix of open world PvE and PvP

Now where is that dark deep fantasy world with stories and adventures to be found beyound any corner, where if there is a sign, (there be giants here) you first gather your friends before moving any deeper into the woods.

I think the world is up for such a game again.... it really is... no more holding hands, a world where killing only counts, if you survive yourself...
    I completely agree :) my dream is to design this one day if noone else will! 

Never fear, your dream MMO will be here....
    just give me a decade or two to finely hone my Game development
    and design abilities as well as start a Game Design Studio.
    Thank you for your patience.
  • DrCokePepsiDrCokePepsi Member UncommonPosts: 177
    And case in point, MMO's have been simplified to gain all the cash. That's it. Devs dont make these things with passion anymore. And anytime you have the old school generation say that they want this, their opinion is drowned out by those casuals who could happily continue their lives whether mmo's even existed or not. And casual isn't even a derogatory term until they start shouting their complaints at devs in a genre that they don't even take seriously. To the old school mmo players who wants something new with the same tried and true, and improved mechanics, casuals say no, and the rest of the pessimist community says impossible. Simple as that. 

Lord.Bachus I entirely agree, in fact, you remind me of myself before i grew tired of saying this same old thing and arguing the same old points on this forum lmao.

Never fear, your dream MMO will be here....
    just give me a decade or two to finely hone my Game development
    and design abilities as well as start a Game Design Studio.
    Thank you for your patience.
    Flyte27 said:

I think your argument is fairly untrue.  Most people would quit fairly quickly when encountering anything that requires time, effort, patience, and problem solving.

Even if you had something that just required you to sit in the same spot and wait there are few that could actually do that even if they had the time.

Mostly .. I certainly don't have much time, effort, or patience (really? .. i need to be patient with an entertainment product?) for games.

Problem solving is another matter. I like fun puzzle. Granted i don't have hours to solve them .. but something like Portal 2 is excellent. 

And no .. no game should ask me to wait at the same spot doing nothing .. that is boring. If a game is not fun every min ... i am out of there.
  • moonboundmoonbound Member UncommonPosts: 396
    And case in point, MMO's have been simplified to gain all the cash. That's it. Devs dont make these things with passion anymore. And anytime you have the old school generation say that they want this, their opinion is drowned out by those casuals who could happily continue their lives whether mmo's even existed or not. And casual isn't even a derogatory term until they start shouting their complaints at devs in a genre that they don't even take seriously. To the old school mmo players who wants something new with the same tried and true, and improved mechanics, casuals say no, and the rest of the pessimist community says impossible. Simple as that. 

Lord.Bachus I entirely agree, in fact, you remind me of myself before i grew tired of saying this same old thing and arguing the same old points on this forum lmao.
    Speak the truth friend! Well said.

Its like all of a sudden people on this site shifted and realized the truth about mmorpgs. All the white knights are quickly silencing out.

I have been trying to say these kinds of things for ages yet white knights flooded the boards.
  • khanstructkhanstruct Member UncommonPosts: 756
    Mostly .. I certainly don't have much time, effort, or patience (really? .. i need to be patient with an entertainment product?) for games.

Problem solving is another matter. I like fun puzzle. Granted i don't have hours to solve them .. but something like Portal 2 is excellent. 

And no .. no game should ask me to wait at the same spot doing nothing .. that is boring. If a game is not fun every min ... i am out of there.
    You seem like the sort that prefers action-oriented games. That certainly has its place, but MMOs can be so much more than that. Years ago, I was playing Runescape with a friend. We spent an entire evening fishing, cooking by the river and chatting. It was one of the best MMO experiences I've ever had.

• VestigeGamerVestigeGamer Member UncommonPosts: 518
    It's actually interesting to watch this war between the "give us more quality" contingent and the "Culture of Free" internet contingent.

But it can't help but bring down (and keep down) the quality of the product in the long term.
    I agree, but need to ask, "Who's quality?"  Which definition do we use for "quality?"

VG

Flyte27 said:

Of course you should not do anything you dislike in any entertainment venue.  Now, why do you feel the need to play apparently every game in the MMO genre, or at least have them cater to your preferences?

Yes, your playstyle sells more as more players prefer it.  Does that mean that every player must enjoy it, too?  Or are they just "chumps" if they don't?

I freely admit, the more difficult, time consuming, and "chump mechanics" based games do not sell as well, but I bet they would make enough to keep in the black, if they were ever made.  If this all that game developers think about as they code, the genre is truly dead.

Again, I am not advocating 100% made the way I prefer.  But a little more than 1% would be nice.

VG

You seem like the sort that prefers action-oriented games. That certainly has its place, but MMOs can be so much more than that. Years ago, I was playing Runescape with a friend. We spent an entire evening fishing, cooking by the river and chatting. It was one of the best MMO experiences I've ever had.
    That sounds awfully boring .. to me ... of course. And no, not just action oriented. Action, stealth and puzzles (only action i can find in MMOs though) are my preferences.

And yes MMOs can be more .. but i don't particular care about the more .. and devs certainly will look at what their audience like. 

Of course you should not do anything you dislike in any entertainment venue.  Now, why do you feel the need to play apparently every game in the MMO genre, or at least have them cater to your preferences?

Yes, your playstyle sells more as more players prefer it.  Does that mean that every player must enjoy it, too?  Or are they just "chumps" if they don't?

I freely admit, the more difficult, time consuming, and "chump mechanics" based games do not sell as well, but I bet they would make enough to keep in the black, if they were ever made.  If this all that game developers think about as they code, the genre is truly dead.

Again, I am not advocating 100% made the way I prefer.  But a little more than 1% would be nice.
    wait .. where do i say "i need to play apparently every game in the MMO genre or at least have them cater to my preferences"? I just point out my preference .... nothing more.

In fact, MMOs are not important enough for me to waste time trying them all. For example, i did not say those boring (to me) sandbox survival games should not exist. I will never waste a min of my time on them ... but hey, if you like them, more power to you and the devs.

Just like i don't play GTA and i did not say Rockstar should not make it.

However, it is fair game to point out what i like, and what the market seems to like.

And to be honest, advocating what you (or I) like on an internet forum is pretty pointless. The market is not going to change. We are here just having some fun discussing. I certainly don't expect my words here have any impact on what devs are making.

And yes, more than 1% would be nice ... but no devs owes YOU (or me) a game that you like. If i find games that i like, it is because i am lucky to have my preferences coincide with an audience a devs want to cater to.

But if not, i will just move on and do something else. There are plenty of entertainment out there. 
    wait .. where do i say "i need to play apparently every game in the MMO genre or at least have them cater to my preferences"? I just point out my preference .... nothing more.
    Is your name Axehilt?  That is who I quoted, not you.

VG

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    Flyte27 said:

A lot of people in other activities in life have plenty of time to do something or could make the time if they wanted to, but cannot accomplish a certain task even though they may well be capable of doing it.

I think we need to stop with the idea that if you have enough time you can accomplish anything.  You don't need just time, but also dedication to the task at hand.
    Well the split works like this:
    • If something requires time and is excessively repetitive, most people quit fairly quickly (because they recognize the game is just wasting their time.)
    • If something requires time and is consistently interesting, people stick around because that game has a lot of content to offer. Typically the way you make something consistently interesting is to have it be more varied (either with dynamic content or lots of one-off content.)
    So you can see how requiring time isn't actually the meaningful afctor. It's how that time is experienced that matters.

It's wrong to say that few could do an activity that required you to sit and do nothing. Instead we say few would choose to sit and do nothing.  Activities which take time but not skill are always going to be a measure of whether players choose to engage with the feature, not a measure of their ability to succeed at the feature.

So what you're presenting as "dedication" I'm turning around and saying is about whether the entertainment is actually deemed to be worth engaging with as long as the game asks players to engage with it.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

What are you talking about? Just look at your post at 5:05am .. clearly responding to my post starting with "Mostly .. I certainly don't have much time, effort, or patience ..."
    What are you talking about? Just look at your post at 5:05am .. clearly responding to my post starting with "Mostly .. I certainly don't have much time, effort, or patience ..."
    Are you really this dense?  The post YOU quoted, was in answer to Axehilt, which you, for some reason only you are aware of, cut out.  I mean, if you think I was talking to you, so be it...

VG

Axehilt said:
    Flyte27 said:

Well the split works like this:
    • If something requires time and is excessively repetitive, most people quit fairly quickly (because they recognize the game is just wasting their time.)
    • If something requires time and is consistently interesting, people stick around because that game has a lot of content to offer. Typically the way you make something consistently interesting is to have it be more varied (either with dynamic content or lots of one-off content.)
    So you can see how requiring time isn't actually the meaningful afctor. It's how that time is experienced that matters.

It's wrong to say that few could do an activity that required you to sit and do nothing. Instead we say few would choose to sit and do nothing.  Activities which take time but not skill are always going to be a measure of whether players choose to engage with the feature, not a measure of their ability to succeed at the feature.

So what you're presenting as "dedication" I'm turning around and saying is about whether the entertainment is actually deemed to be worth engaging with as long as the game asks players to engage with it.
    I would disagree.

Most things in life that are worthwhile require time, effort, and many time repetition. 

I have to get up, do exercise every morning, and make my smoothie to be a bit healthy and get the nutrients I need.  It's not very exciting and it's something many people could do, but most people do not.

The concept with time consumption in an MMO is the same.  Those with little will power and determination will quit quickly.
    Flyte27 said:

Most things in life that are worthwhile require time, effort, and many time repetition. 

Not entertainment. Do you want your fav tv episode again, again and again? Does reading a good novel requires effort or a lot of time (may be a few days most)? How about good movies ... 2 and a half hours?

And "worthwhile" is clearly subjective.
  • iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552
    Flyte27 said:

Not entertainment. Do you want your fav tv episode again, again and again? Does reading a good novel requires effort or a lot of time (may be a few days most)? How about good movies ... 2 and a half hours?

But games are interactive. Watching a movie over and over is not going to make me better at movie watching and the experience the tenth time will be much the same as the first time. The whole thing that makes games different and potentially better than passive entertainment is that they change depending on the player's skill level and time investment.

Flyte27 said:

Obviously they are two different mediums and it's difficult to compare.  One is simply for consumption and the other is for interacting.  In a book or movie you can give show that someone is trudging through a dangerous swamp and the difficulties of it. In a virtual world you show the player this by having a long trip through the swap full of many different dangers like quicksand, getting lost, monsters, etc.  This would give you the sense of am I ever going to find my way out?  I do agree that repetition can become tedious though.  Sooner or later all games should die and something new should take their place.  This is one of the big flaws in MMOs IMO.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    Flyte27 said:
    nariusseldon said:
    Flyte27 said:

Obviously they are two different mediums and it's difficult to compare.  One is simply for consumption and the other is for interacting.  In a book or movie you can give show that someone is trudging through a dangerous swamp and the difficulties of it. In a virtual world you show the player this by having a long trip through the swap full of many different dangers like quicksand, getting lost, monsters, etc.  This would give you the sense of am I ever going to find my way out?  I do agree that repetition can become tedious though.  Sooner or later all games should die and something new should take their place.  This is one of the big flaws in MMOs IMO.
    If you are playing a game, perhaps they should come to an end.

But virtual worlds don't have to, they can continue to evolve such as EVE has done, about 12 years running (I've been playing since 2006) and still relevant in my opinion.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon