Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So.....Wildstar has just taken the crown for the worst Launch in mmo history?

12346»

Comments

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    It is by far not the worst launch by any means. The game being "unplayable" isn't true either. For the first day maybe, then the patches came out for lag and character creation and at this point the only real hurdle is the login queues which every single MMO launch ever has had. Every single time an MMO launches with queues or lag people instantly start waving around the WORST LAUNCH EVER card, it's getting pretty bad with people doing this every single time. 

Look at some of the launches that were by far worse. FFXIV when ARR came out, they had no queue system and you couldn't make characters on any servers that had too many people on them. Basically you had to sit there and spam start exit out, spam start exit out, over and over until eventually you got in or you gave up after 4 hours. Vanguard had game breaking bugs, was optimized so bad that nobody could run it, and was in a horrid state upon launch. I don't really feel like going through any more since it's pretty much the same every time, but it's really not a horrible launch. 

Queues are irritating yes, lag is irritating yes, but in no way is it unplayable. I made a character the first night, played it quite a bit so far and right now am waiting in a queue to play again. The lag is gone for me. 
    Gonna leave this here. 8 out of 15 streamers last night sitting there playing the character select mini-game. Does this constitute being playable? May want to take off the rose coloured glasses.

Posted Today, 07:12 PM

... are stuck at the login screen right now.

If more than 50% of the playerbase are experiencing this issue, including the very people who are trying to promote the game, why don't Carbine just take the servers down for maintenance? Oh ya, they did that about 30 times and the game still says no thank-you.

DMRuugwjpg

It also went from getting 5k views when it went live to just over 1k on a Saturday..Obviously has nothing to do with the server woes that have been going on for 5 days.
    So you are going to post an old screenshot? Because I have one from right now, with 1 person at character select on the top streamers. You are right about the viewers but that doesn't mean much at all seeing as viewers fluctuate depending on what time zone is most popular for specific games. 

Here it is right now. One person in character select. Nice slander campaign. 

Here is another picture of me in game right now after my queue. No issues whatsoever. 

So keep posting about how bad it is right now. Peak time on a weekend. 
  • TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    edited October 2015
    It is by far not the worst launch by any means. The game being "unplayable" isn't true either. For the first day maybe, then the patches came out for lag and character creation and at this point the only real hurdle is the login queues which every single MMO launch ever has had. Every single time an MMO launches with queues or lag people instantly start waving around the WORST LAUNCH EVER card, it's getting pretty bad with people doing this every single time. 

Look at some of the launches that were by far worse. FFXIV when ARR came out, they had no queue system and you couldn't make characters on any servers that had too many people on them. Basically you had to sit there and spam start exit out, spam start exit out, over and over until eventually you got in or you gave up after 4 hours. Vanguard had game breaking bugs, was optimized so bad that nobody could run it, and was in a horrid state upon launch. I don't really feel like going through any more since it's pretty much the same every time, but it's really not a horrible launch. 

Queues are irritating yes, lag is irritating yes, but in no way is it unplayable. I made a character the first night, played it quite a bit so far and right now am waiting in a queue to play again. The lag is gone for me. 
    Gonna leave this here. 8 out of 15 streamers last night sitting there playing the character select mini-game. Does this constitute being playable? May want to take off the rose coloured glasses.

If more than 50% of the playerbase are experiencing this issue, including the very people who are trying to promote the game, why don't Carbine just take the servers down for maintenance? Oh ya, they did that about 30 times and the game still says no thank-you.

DMRuugwjpg

It also went from getting 5k views when it went live to just over 1k on a Saturday..Obviously has nothing to do with the server woes that have been going on for 5 days.
    So you are going to post an old screenshot? Because I have one from right now, with 1 person at character select on the top streamers. You are right about the viewers but that doesn't mean much at all seeing as viewers fluctuate depending on what time zone is most popular for specific games. 

Here is another picture of me in game right now after my queue. No issues whatsoever. 

oh, its the....some people are in so there isn't any issues. I guess the 8 streamers who couldn't get in for hours is a non issue because the 7 that did means what they are experiencing doesn't exist. Or the fact that they had 5k viewers and now days later after all the server issue are down to 1k.....no issues.

Please explain how 5k non peak time down to 1k peak time on the weekend is a good thing. I really want to hear the spin.

lol........Rose coloured glasses.
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766

DMRuugwjpg

oh, its the....some people are in so there isn't any issues. I guess the 8 streamers who couldn't get in for hours is a non issue because the 7 that did means what they are experiencing doesn't exist. Or the fact that they had 5k viewers and now days later after all the server issue are down to 1k.....no issues.

The 8 streamers are the entire population of the game right? 5k to 1k isn't necessarily a big jump for people when the major streamers who jump game to game switch games again. Sure that one dude with 4k viewers decided to switch back to league or that warhammer survival game or whatever is popular right now. Rose colored glasses only works in a situation discussing the past. This is the present, and it's working fine other than the queue. 
  • TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247

DMRuugwjpg

The 8 streamers are the entire population of the game right? 5k to 1k isn't necessarily a big jump for people when the major streamers who jump game to game switch games again. Sure that one dude with 4k viewers decided to switch back to league or that warhammer survival game or whatever is popular right now. Rose colored glasses only works in a situation discussing the past. This is the present, and it's working fine other than the queue. 
    The big streamers stopped streaming it by Thursday. I was home sick all week and watched it all go down as I played the character select mini-game.

Its working fine accept for the queue, or getting repeatedly kick to character select, or the lag that is still going on.

I guess when your head is in the sand everything is good. this was entertaining.
  • HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    They've opened new servers and offer free transfers from over pop realms, the que yesterday was 1 hr +, now it's only about 10 min. Log in issues I had so much yesterday, happened every second, pissed me off gave up lol. Today, not happened once. The lag was the last thing, still bad, but about an hour or two ago they took the servers down and I haven't had lag since. Think the server just crashed just now, but seems the problem is almost fixed.  

People most likely stopped streaming till the issue is fixed. Think Sunday on-wards things will be okay.
  • FirstKnight117FirstKnight117 Member UncommonPosts: 109
    <gets out popcorn>

This is getting very involved. B)  Watching to see where it goes without turning into full flamefest. New launch of some kind always brings problems, just a matter of degree. But I guess we are discussing whether Carbine is truly evil, incompetent or something else.

I tried to login last night. Ran into the character select bug. Logged out, played something else. Will try again next week. I guess the awful login suffering problem is relative.

<more popcorn>

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    edited October 2015
    To the OP...

1.  Even a complete idiot would know that the servers are going to be pounded on launch day... especially if it's free to play.

2.  If you go to a gas station and see a line around the block but across the street there is an station with no line, do you, a)  Get in line with those waiting for gas or, b) Go across the street to get gas?  This is a trick question... if you failed #1 already, you can't possibly get #2 correct.  
  • 43%burnt43%burnt Member UncommonPosts: 162
    Not even close to be the worst, guess you are rather young.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    junzo316 said:
    hunt55511 said:
    What? This is "One of the worst"? I played Rift at launch - Unable to even login for a week, and that was when it was paid. FFXIV:ARR? They literally had to stop digital sales. Literally. And while Destiny "Isn't an MMO" it easily had a much worse launch with people unable to even login to the game due to various zoo errors for MONTHS. Meanwhile, Wildstar I've been able to login after finishing the download today, and minus a slight hiccup for about 10 minutes trying to enter the Exile starter zone (After Arkship), I've had no trouble playing. Your experience is not everyone's, and if I had to pick a launch that contends for "worst" it would be FFXIV:ARR because they literally had to stop sales to compensate for the massive demand.
    I wouldn't consider that bad at all that they had to halt sales to compensate for demand.  In fact, I'd call that kinda good.  =)
    The relaunch of FFXIV;ARR, where they had to stop sales due to demand and the servers hitting capacity, kind of proved that sometimes its possible to be 'too popular' and while at the time it was a shame for the people who were unable to obtain a copy of the game because of it, it would have been grossly irresponsible if they had not done so. The first launch of the game, FFXIV 1.0 could be considered a failure, because it didn't live up to expectations, it was terrible, but, FFXIV;ARR was about as successful a launch as its possible to get, too successful in fact, hence the stop on sales of the game, Wildstar would be lucky to have that problem, but, as they fixed nothing, and just made it F2P, those who are trying it now, at least those that managed to clear the numerous hurdles that seem to plague it currently, in a few weeks time, if not sooner, they will in all probability have moved on to other games.
  • Swammy22Swammy22 Member UncommonPosts: 64
    How about the launch of the USS Challenger back in 1986? That was pretty bad...
  • SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401
    The constant kick out when using a loading screen between zones (For tank/healer training, pvp, any pve instance) plus never loading into the game and getting sent back to the character select screen has really killed my enjoyment factor and lessened my want to play the game.

If I was sitting in queue, that's fine. I know the timer and I can do something while I wait.  With the character screen kickback with loading, I can't play the game.  And once on the character screen I must check it every 30seconds to 2 minutes to click play to try to get in again.

Didn't experience much lag though.
  • BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939
    I'm pulling for WS to get over this bump soon, then I will install it and try it out again.
    I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Swammy22 said:
    really , really bad taste......... you fail
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Scorchien said:
    Swammy22 said:
    really , really bad taste......... you fail

it is a matter of perspective.  video game problems are tiny.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• FirstKnight117FirstKnight117 Member UncommonPosts: 109
    Pepeq said:
    To the OP...

1.  Even a complete idiot would know that the servers are going to be pounded on launch day... especially if it's free to play.

2.  If you go to a gas station and see a line around the block but across the street there is an station with no line, do you, a)  Get in line with those waiting for gas or, b) Go across the street to get gas?  This is a trick question... if you failed #1 already, you can't possibly get #2 correct.  
    Dang. This reminds me of every MMO launch where I read threads "I took the week off of WORK for this and now (Publisher)(Developer) has RUINED my vacation. In fact it's like they were STEALING from me."

Usually results in long argument threads about game theory, marketing, technology and ethics.

When I was trying to login last night, yes I was looking forward to it and yes it was disappointing when I got kicked back to character select. Honestly there are a lot of other things to do so I did them. I went across the street to the no-line gas station.  ;)   Like a previous poster pointed out, perspective matters.

Anyway to those are are really losing sleep over it, I hope it gets better.

• redcoreredcore Member UncommonPosts: 108
    i cant even play that game..carbine somehow screwed up with the patch...getting errors, crashes etc... >..<
  • GraeyGraey Member UncommonPosts: 281
    Actually it is working just fine for me. I just use the new servers they brought up. I'm rolling a warrior currently and so far I haven't had any problems. I do see a bit of lag with the previous server so I"m hoping everything evens out here soon.
  • reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    43%burnt said:
    Not even close to be the worst, guess you are rather young.
    Has there been a launch in the last 10 years that someone didn't describe as the worst?

In the WoW era I think FFXIV 1.0 is still top dog for worst launch ever.  Went F2P in the first month.  I haven't seen anything close to that bad in a while.

If you include oldschool games the list gets more complex but standards were much much lower back then.
  • KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667
    The system is overloaded by Free Gamers wanting to play Wildstar for free.  If people who are not paying for the game can't play, then the game is working as intended.

In all honesty, most core coders are fresh meat right out of school who don't know what they are doing.  They start with something they copied from a book or got off an open source site that is not up to the task.  Without heavy modification.  

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• PongpingPongping Member UncommonPosts: 131
    rush1984 said:
    not sure what ao is, you mean aoc? cos that was pretty bad but not as bad as this one
    what a n00b.... 

to young to have an opinion.... 

Anarchy Online had the worst launch in history ever. But the game itself was the best i have ever played.
  • BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939

No matter how much testing is done in a beta or in house once it hits live things will go wrong. But with this game there are a lot of people that want it to work and I do not think they seen how many would be coming back to test the F2P model out. If anything yes it is a bad thing what is happening, but good thing showing how many want the game to work.

Double edge sword. :-D

I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    I think we just need to learn that MMORPGs are extremely complicated and unexpected issues will always arise. A flawless launch just means they were extremely lucky. 

• DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963
    Dreamo84 said:
    I think we just need to learn that MMORPGs are extremely complicated and unexpected issues will always arise. A flawless launch just means they were extremely lucky. 
    Someone with a brain that understand how games are made... MMo's are the hardest to make thats why we are seeing less and less made, less money being made, and more people complain no matter if the launch went well, people still find ways to bitch.
  • wildarms2wildarms2 Member UncommonPosts: 80
    lol  wow still has it  one hr up 1 week down 

moo all