Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do You PvP? - Som Pourfarzaneh at MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited October 2015 in News & Features Discussion

imageDo You PvP? - Som Pourfarzaneh at MMORPG.com

A couple of weeks ago, we looked at some different types of endgame, including PvP as one of the principal activities available in an MMORPG once you hit the level cap. Of course, many modern MMOs offer some kind of player-versus-player interaction throughout the leveling process, even going as far as to incentivize low- and mid-level arenas through XP gain and gear rewards. PvP is one of my favorite diversions in an online game, both while leveling and as part of the endgame.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Jonnyp2Jonnyp2 Member UncommonPosts: 243
    So why are you talking about co-op multiplayer in single player games halfway through your article about MMO PvP. I mean I get it, the Mass Effect 3 ending wasn't well done, Assassin's creed has been consistently taking a step backwards as of late. I'm sure it's frustrating, but you don't have to force your opinions into an unrelated article.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    edited October 2015
    Yes. It's the present and the future of the mmo/mmorpg genres. 
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Always have PVP'd and always will... just like I have always PVE'd and always will. I guess I like the whole enchilada. My favorite model is that found in DAoC, WAR, GW2, ESO and others with persistent 24/7 territory and keep control in special large PVP zones. My least favorite are the quick 15 minute scenarios that some games tack on as their PVP offering,
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• BunnykingBunnyking Member UncommonPosts: 126
    I do participate in battleground/warzone type pvp if the rewards are good, but open world pvp is the worst thing there is imo. I will never go to a pvp server if there's the option for pve and I will avoid any game that forces pvp upon me.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    I can see the appeal of PVP to players but I have yet to find a game that does it well and fairly.
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    When I start a new game I always tell myself that I will not pvp this time (because some of the people are really annoying), but then I end up doing it anyways.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    edited October 2015
    Yes I pvp. It has been my beginning, middle, and end game ever since 2002 in a little MMO called Neocron (seriosly it's a little MMO, but with a slightly more hard core rule set than other games with open world pvp). I've played and like all types of PVP from WvW like in GW2, RvR from WAR to open world and BGs in WoW, and the flag/faction system from SWG. There is something about going against the living, specially when their gear or my gear is a non-factor.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
    I don't pvp. Too many griefers, bullies, campers, and and immature adult-children who take it too seriously as if beating you in a game somehow makes them superior.
  • JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353
    I try but there is hardly any dynamic, balanced, non-repetitive, non-zerg pvp left.
    Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    I don't PVP.  I understand the appeal, but it just doesn't fit me personally.

I'm of the opinion that the best way PVP could be integrated into an MMORPG is to have PVP be non-consensual but avoidable.  That way acceptable gameplay can be had by PVE'ers, PVP'ers and those who want a bit of both.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    PvP needs to be built into the game from day one but also be constructed in a way that allows folks a break. DAoC was perfect for this. I have yet to see a game that integrated PvP so well, yet still allowed those who preferred to focus on PvE to do so. Go Hibs!!

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    edited October 2015
    "Engaging in multiplayer in FPS games, MOBAs, and other competition-centric titles is fun in its own right, but there’s no substitute for MMO PvP that fits in seamlessly with the rest of the game."

Couldn't disagree more. While PvP in FPS games is indeed fun and exciting MMORPG's almost always get it wrong. The most glaringly obvious problem with the majority of MMO PvP is simple class balance. How many MMO's have we seen with regularly changing FotM classes for PvP? Most MMO's also have 2 factions which results in population balance issues as well.

The best PvP I've seen in MMO's to date was in DAoC. By far the best implementation of PvP in my opinion but still, not without it's own problems. More often than not it was down to whoever gets Mez off first wins.

As a genre MMORPG's just don't support PvP all that well. When you look at the roots of the genre, table top D&D and similar games, there was no PvP in those P&P games. MMO's should stick to what they do best, group PvE content, and leave the PvP for the MOBA and FPS market.

That being said I still engage in PvP in MMO's but it's probably no more than 5% of my time, mainly due to the fact that there's no real point to it.
  • SabaticusSabaticus Member UncommonPosts: 15
    In answer to your question NO.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I only prefer Arena type pvp and usually no more than maybe 5 players.
    Large crowds are just that,a CROWD,messy sloppy pvp,i am not interested in that type of spam combat,i prefer strategic combat.

Funny thing is about  5-6 months ago i was owning in UT99 game and one player got mad and complained about the way i was playing.So i said wtf,you want me to just stand still and let you kill me or you want a good battle?That person went on to say ,but it is the way you are playing,so i said what with strategy?
     The person's response dumbfounded me,he said nobody plays with strategy anymore,that went out 10 years ago,,i  just lol and /sigh.

The reason trends in pvp designs have changed is because when it was all out skillful,weaker players would get absolutely destroyed,no chance in hell of ever getting a kill.However toss in a bunch of sloppy combat with a ton  of players all spamming anywhere and sure anyone can get lucky,it seems it has catered to be a platform for poor quality pvpr's.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ValdartakValdartak Member UncommonPosts: 21
    re: Do You PvP? Nope.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    I can see the appeal of PVP to players but I have yet to find a game that does it well and fairly.
    whats fair?
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989
    bcbully said:
    whats fair?
    Exactly why I don't.

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

• museandalimuseandali Member UncommonPosts: 67
    something I find as an irony. people wail and gnash their teeth demanding non-zerg pvp, while in the same breath, lauding dark age of camelot as "perfect PVP". Hate to say it, but if you were fighting albies, or worse, if you -were- albies, you partook in zerg pvp
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    something I find as an irony. people wail and gnash their teeth demanding non-zerg pvp, while in the same breath, lauding dark age of camelot as "perfect PVP". Hate to say it, but if you were fighting albies, or worse, if you -were- albies, you partook in zerg pvp
    Pfft... Stungard was the worst :)
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• General-ZodGeneral-Zod Member UncommonPosts: 868
    I PvP.

I certainly don't mind arena pvp but I prefer a more "open world" approach to PvP due to encounters being randomized (less predictable) and there's a lot more risk involved.

DaoC is a wonderful game and it did have it's zergs and whatnot however, the players in DaoC also respected the solo game which a lot of people seem to forget.

• General-ZodGeneral-Zod Member UncommonPosts: 868

JDis25 said:
    I try but there is hardly any dynamic, balanced, non-repetitive, non-zerg pvp left.
    Exactly how I feel about PvE.

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395
    bcbully said:
    Yes. It's the present and the future of the mmo/mmorpg genres. 
    Well, 70% of the UO population disagreed with you, back in the day.   Walton sure seems to think that that rough percentage holds now as well.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    edited October 2015
    bcbully said:
    whats fair?
    You'll find fair PvP in instances, 1v1, 4v4, 50v50 etc. In some games you will be matched with equally skilled players. Rare for MMOs true.
    Open world PvP isn't fair and shouldn't be.
    I PvP.

I certainly don't mind arena pvp but I prefer a more "open world" approach to PvP due to encounters being randomized (less predictable) and there's a lot more risk involved.

Instanced PvP is only predictable if you come across the same player or group of players. But that can happen in openworld aswell. Even then the fight may not play out the same as they may be intelligent and try different tactics.

I guess the amount of people you may have to fight/run from can be randomised.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    As a genre MMORPG's just don't support PvP all that well. When you look at the roots of the genre, table top D&D and similar games, there was no PvP in those P&P games. MMO's should stick to what they do best, group PvE content, and leave the PvP for the MOBA and FPS market.
    This. I'm saying the very same all the time when the annual pvp topic pops up its head :lol:

Som, "Do you PvP?  What are some of your favorite PvP modes in MMOs?":
    I do pvp. Do it all the time in board games, TCGs, turn-based strategies, and in shooters. Especially in shooters... man, I loved my CS years :wink:
    But.
    Rpg is not the place for pvp. As @jmcdermottuk said, the very foundation of D&D was to turn the back on the truckloads of competitive games and create a cooperative one, where the goal is playing together, and not against each other. Heck, I haven't even saw "pvp" in rpg until the mid-'90s, when youngsters started to show up in the den with "I just built (wtf, characters are rolled :wink: ) a toon and I bet I will kick yours behind, let's fight". Of course they were kicked out very fast :lol:

Sure, on PC, in the MUDs there was the option, but we restricted it in ours strictly for duels in a separate arena. World is for adventuring, period.

Favourite model in MMO, from the above it should be pretty obvious: the non-existant one :wink:
    Or if that's not an option, because from marketing's perspective it's useful to throw a bone to the pvp'ers too (but kudos for the strictly PvE titles :+1: ), then LotRO's model is fine: a totally separate part, almost like a separate game, with close-to-none ties to the real game.

(guilty pleasure, even if it's not pvp rather than a world boss event, CO's Onslaught is pretty fun, especially on rampage mode, where 5-6 villains marching against 40-50 heroes :wink: but since the novelty is gone, it's more like 1-2 villains and only a few heroes nowadays. Plus it also comes from LotRO, the Ranger/Troll play)
  • ImpmonImpmon Member UncommonPosts: 81
    edited October 2015

Guildwars 2 has Spvp & wvw. Spvp is small team based in arena type settings. You can enter it after creating a character and create a max level, with gear suffering no debuffs.

WVW is world vs world (server vs server) each bracket is split into three. You'll find in the lower tiers one server will dominate the other two & will be hard pressed to pvp at all in wvw. In the higher tiers the pvp in wvw tends to be more organized and zergy.

You can enter wvw at any time even if you're 20 it will "uplevel" you although you can still compete max level people will more then likely mop the floor with you. However you can still use seige weapons and help the team & do some damage, earn realm ranks & abilities.

WOW also has pvp servers where you're open game all the time. As a casual pvp'r the author apparently never experienced this. So to did everquest, it had mutiple servers that were pvp all the time with different rule sets.

Vallon Zek, Tallon Zek, Rallos Zek & later Sullon Zek which was deity based free for all no rules server.... lol.

I'd like to add regarding ME3 regardless if the multiplayer aspect was "tacked on" as you say, it was fun. It wasn't pvp, it was coop horde mode.. fighting waves while performing objectives. I played it all the time after completing the campaign.

I don't pvp all the time. I usually do pve, quests until I get bored then hop on the pvp aspect & do that for an hour or two. Currently playing ESO on the XB1

Post edited by Impmon on