Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The real problem with building an indie MMORPGs is YOU.

2»

Comments

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    I don't understand. I saw the "My amature project" thread a few days ago and thought it was amazing how the OP could make something like that so quickly (the OP of that thread originally went into some detail about the process of making the character creator, now it just says "NM"), it looked really cool.

In that thread the OP said they were going to keep us updated on progress with the game, and now like four days later they have already given up and making a thread like this? I feel like I have been sucked through a black hole or something.
  • FomaldehydeJimFomaldehydeJim Member UncommonPosts: 673
    YashaX said:
    I don't understand. I saw the "My amature project" thread a few days ago and thought it was amazing how the OP could make something like that so quickly (the OP of that thread originally went into some detail about the process of making the character creator, now it just says "NM"), it looked really cool.

In that thread the OP said they were going to keep us updated on progress with the game, and now like four days later they have already given up and making a thread like this? I feel like I have been sucked through a black hole or something.
    That is a shame. Never post in a moment of frustration if you have something to sell.  
  • ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,340
    YashaX said:

I didn't give up. It is frustrating some times and I ranted out. OK.

I decided to remove my rant here and due to the way the video was presented remove the video until it can be reworked to be appropriate for the audience it is intended for.

I'm now making something else that has some value and will present it shortly.

ArChWind — MMORPG.com Forums

If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.
  • FomaldehydeJimFomaldehydeJim Member UncommonPosts: 673
    ArChWind said:
    YashaX said:

I decided to remove my rant here and due to the way the video was presented remove the video until it can be reworked to be appropriate for the audience it is intended for.

Good luck and look forward to seeing it. If you want to rant in a moment of frustration try sleeping on it first. I rant a lot, but I am not creating a game.  
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    ArChWind said:
    YashaX said:

Good to hear you are still working on it, i was impressed by the first video/thread. You will probably have to be a little bit more thick skinned and less confrontational when you post your progress on public game forums though.
  • odiasudaodiasuda Member UncommonPosts: 162
    This should probably be closed - the OP deleted his post.
  • SalvadorbardSalvadorbard Member UncommonPosts: 100
    I think the only problem with any Indie game is that there is such an enormously huge market that it's hard to stand out as different or better or even get noticed at all. Marketing is not the easiest thing in the world even if it is one of the most rewarding.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    I think the only problem with any Indie game is that there is such an enormously huge market that it's hard to stand out as different or better or even get noticed at all. Marketing is not the easiest thing in the world even if it is one of the most rewarding.
    Finishing your game rather than just having a bunch of ambitious ideas isn't enough to make a game unique among indies, but it does cut down the clutter a lot if you're only looking at released games.
  • BMBenderBMBender Member UncommonPosts: 827
    edited October 2015
    ArChWind said:
    YashaX said:

Good luck and look forward to seeing it. If you want to rant in a moment of frustration try sleeping on it first. I rant a lot, but I am not creating a game.  

And get someone NOT emotionally involved to proof read, you'll thank me later.  Good luck

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    It is such a huge market that it is hard TO BE different or better. Most indie games I saw (just go to steam and take sample of say 20) are amateurish, bad in both production values, and gameplay. Making good games is difficult, period. 

Now there are games (like the Van Helsing ARPGs) and the challenge in marketing just added to it.

BUT ... hard on the producers, great for consumers. There are tons of choices, many great, many dirt cheap. Wait for a steam sales and you have tons of quality games you don't have enough time to play. 

• ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,340
    YashaX said:
    ArChWind said:
    YashaX said:

Good to hear you are still working on it, i was impressed by the first video/thread. You will probably have to be a little bit more thick skinned and less confrontational when you post your progress on public game forums though.

I have thick skin LOL. I am attention whore here for a reason but no one is getting the picture except maybe Lokto got it. You're all to busy debating the wrong thing.

Once upon a time I put together a big old landscape and added some assets, took a character and ran the char across the map to my assets. I said I'm building a MMORPG! Everyone was oh yeah right but I get where you are coming from. It was not marketed right I guess. I come back and show you a complete system I built in 40 days of art and 18 days of coding. I then get attention. WHY?

I'm not capable of a MMO or anything close. Well maybe a multiplayer. A MMOG cost a LOT of money because it has many complex systems and requires some serious engineering. It is a team project that is probably beyond most peoples capabilities. The guys that built them are master degrees and bachelor degrees in network, IT, programming and art. This is a complex system of all these put together.

People please take a moment to think about the whole thing. Start asking yourselves some questions.

I write and show in riddles and you even answered it but buried in the riddles is THE picture.

ArChWind — MMORPG.com Forums

If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.