Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are there any good MMOs where you are in a modern or futuristic City?

UnleadedRevUnleadedRev Member UncommonPosts: 568
Not Star Wars, Secret World  or Star Trek, but like a more realistic MMO that takes place in the near future, and is less fantasy and jumping around with swords?

Comments

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Nope, you might as well play gta multiplayer. 

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    edited October 2015
    Neocron comes to mind... not sure if it's still around though.
    And it's not exactly "near" future either. (Though closer than Star Wars/Trek)

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• BellomoBellomo Member UncommonPosts: 184
    skyforge
  • PanteraRosaPanteraRosa Member UncommonPosts: 35
    I love H1Z1 graphics
  • khanstructkhanstruct Member UncommonPosts: 756
    Bellomo said:
    skyforge
    Heh, I thought that would be true. I even made a cool character in a suit. Then I was dropped into a medieval village to kill a bunch of monsters with my sword. WTF!?

As to the OP... click my signature  ;)

• moonboundmoonbound Member UncommonPosts: 396
    Wildstar really is the best one as a true mmorpg, you could give swtor a try but its really shallow other then the story.

moonbound said:
    Wildstar really is the best one as a true mmorpg, you could give swtor a try but its really shallow other then the story.

It still has some high fantasy elements, but I agree, it's refreshingly different from most MMOs.

• FomaldehydeJimFomaldehydeJim Member UncommonPosts: 673
    edited October 2015
    DCUO possibly. If you are after a realistic and gritty future city environment, something akin to Bladerunner, then I can think of none.  
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    edited October 2015
    Also a stretch, but if the title's "being in a City" part is your main goal, Millennium City in CO is detailed and fairly large. Neatly planned with different zones, actually I think it could be working in a SimCity too...
    (different residental areas, an industrial zone, etc. with a logical roadmap - for speedsters I mean, but most superheroes are flying anyways :wink: )

edit: for a hint, a quick circling around for the respawn points, it's not the entire city but you can see the scale of it https://youtu.be/VjxSqzNzNqk  (btw. lowbie flying is way too slow :wink: )
    Post edited by Po_gg on
  • herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924
    one which was future based but still seems to have features of modern day to me was anarchy online
    have to admit most future mmorpg are almost star wars like
    It's simply a thousand times easier to build rolling hills and drop down some trees than it is to plan a city. Lazy bastards.

• BunnykingBunnyking Member UncommonPosts: 126
    Not Star Wars, Secret World  or Star Trek, but like a more realistic MMO that takes place in the near future, and is less fantasy and jumping around with swords?
    Wait for The Division I guess.
    I would've said The Secret World, but you already ruled that out.
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
    edited October 2015
    Planet Calypso has modern/futuristic setting, but it's mostly open terrain, not cities.

The Crew if you like racing games.