Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Delivering the Experience - New Temporary Servers Incoming | WildStar | MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited October 2015 in News & Features Discussion
imageDelivering the Experience - New Temporary Servers Incoming | WildStar | MMORPG.com

Since launch on Tuesday, WildStar servers have been overloaded to the point that some players were not adequately able to play the game or even log in. To answer the demand, Carbine has just announced that in the next 24-hours, new servers will be brought online, 2 each for North America and Europe.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Post edited by SBFord on

Comments

• SoloAnythingSoloAnything Member UncommonPosts: 308
    It's about time they only have 1 pve and 1 pvp server and since f2p release haven't been able to play always queue 4-8 hours which I would never wait for. It's logical to expect many people after going f2p so I don't understand why they didn't add server from day one.
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    It's about time they only have 1 pve and 1 pvp server and since f2p release haven't been able to play always queue 4-8 hours which I would never wait for. It's logical to expect many people after going f2p so I don't understand why they didn't add server from day one.
    To be fair, these aren't a typical "two servers". They're more akin to a cluster of servers linked together and sharing zones like GW2, ESO, and even DCUO use. That said, it's clear they need more capacity and good on them that they're adding more post haste.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• time007time007 Member UncommonPosts: 1,062
    well the question now is how long will it take for their solution to kick in.

IMPORTANT:  Please keep all replies to my posts about GAMING.  Please no negative or backhanded comments directed at me personally.  If you are going to post a reply that includes how you feel about me, please don't bother replying & just ignore my post instead.  I'm on this forum to talk about GAMING.  Thank you.
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    time007 said:
    well the question now is how long will it take for their solution to kick in.
    They said these servers will be online within 24 hours. :)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Honestly having fun with Wilds tar at the moment when i'm not battling that lag..  The PvP is still as fun as I remember from beta.  One MMORPG where Battlegrounds seem to work really well.  Look forward to doing battle with the Dominion for those Moodie Masks this weekend!

• Mange1Mange1 Member UncommonPosts: 266
    Bad idea, they may just end up reducing the servers to one again because of population. I'd say it's a good idea cause new players would have a fresh server but considering queues are cross server it won't matter much outside of world pvp and server firsts. They needed to upgrade their current server I felt, yes they are getting hammered by F2P population but it's nothing their current "mega" server shouldn't have been able to handle already. Mind you they've admitted they just call it a mega server and it's not actually the GW2 mega server technology or anything remotely close to it.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Well it's always a cluster of server machines that make up a server so....just sayin.
    They clearly did not have enough server capacity having 1 pve pvp server each shows an even bigger problem.East coast west coast players all have to share the same ping/latency,so no localized servers,kind of says they had no confidence in their game.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• XImpalerXXImpalerX Member UncommonPosts: 606
    Ya, good thing they are adding more after the fact instead of preparing ahead of time. They are pro developers for sure.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    IT is concerning that they are this unaware of what they are getting into......The f2p crowd can be a big payday for these games but only if they deliver.....What we have seen so far is not that.
  • observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    They should've known. Are they trapped in a bubble or something? Didn't they see what happened to past titles that went F2P? Archeage being the latest example.
  • vorrin5vorrin5 Member UncommonPosts: 71
    edited October 2015
    XImpalerX said:
    Ya, good thing they are adding more after the fact instead of preparing ahead of time. They are pro developers for sure.
    From the linked message: "Frankly, our megaservers are not handling the load they should. This means our server capacity isn’t keeping up with demand."

I'm not sure if the sarcasm was really necessary or if you read the linked post and discarded it due to skepticism, but I've copied/pasted it here nonetheless. Either way, true or not, there should be fun to be had tomorrow when the new servers are up. I haven't played due to lag, but if the lag is gone tomorrow, I'll start playing again.
    Post edited by vorrin5 on
  • XingbairongXingbairong Member RarePosts: 927
    edited October 2015
    observer said:
    They should've known. Are they trapped in a bubble or something? Didn't they see what happened to past titles that went F2P? Archeage being the latest example.

Hasn't Archeage always been f2p(of course not taking into account that you have to throw a bucket of cash if you want the real experience)

Btw am I understanding things wrong or everyone else does. From what I read I'm understanding that they aren't adding new "player servers" but hardware servers. Meaning the servers will remain just 2(1PvP, 1PvE), but their capacity will be increased.

Edit: re-read again and it seems that I'm wrong, but wouldn't that made it so that 1-2 out of the 4 be kinda empty in comparison to the other. This doesn't feel like a proper solution. In my opinion they need more physical servers. If possibly in different places, so that people from around the world can have good ping and not just those that live nearby.

• WightyWighty Member UncommonPosts: 699
    Mange1 said:
    Bad idea, they may just end up reducing the servers to one again because of population. I'd say it's a good idea cause new players would have a fresh server but considering queues are cross server it won't matter much outside of world pvp and server firsts. They needed to upgrade their current server I felt, yes they are getting hammered by F2P population but it's nothing their current "mega" server shouldn't have been able to handle already. Mind you they've admitted they just call it a mega server and it's not actually the GW2 mega server technology or anything remotely close to it.
    Mange was spot on here... I mean WTF... The game is decent but it is so mismanaged... they went from multiple servers at launch to the "MEGAserver" when the game was dead in the water to now going back to what appears to be a haybrid multiple "MEGAserver" This is them hitting the panic button because they are not adding enough shards of the regional servers... What are they going to do when all the tourists, haters, and "just want to see" crowd disperse in a few weeks and the populations normalize once again... This is more reactionary than a well thought out and informed decision. P.S. I am a subscriber and have been playing since beta so I am not just some hater... I would like to see the game prosper but not if they are going to continue with this pandering reactionary business ideology.

What are your other Hobbies?

Gaming is Dirt Cheap compared to this...

• vorrin5vorrin5 Member UncommonPosts: 71
    Wighty said:
    Mange1 said:
    Mange was spot on here... I mean WTF... The game is decent but it is so mismanaged... they went from multiple servers at launch to the "MEGAserver" when the game was dead in the water to now going back to what appears to be a haybrid multiple "MEGAserver" This is them hitting the panic button because they are not adding enough shards of the regional servers... What are they going to do when all the tourists, haters, and "just want to see" crowd disperse in a few weeks and the populations normalize once again... This is more reactionary than a well thought out and informed decision. P.S. I am a subscriber and have been playing since beta so I am not just some hater... I would like to see the game prosper but not if they are going to continue with this pandering reactionary business ideology.
    They put it a bit far down on the message (I found out about the post on Reddit first and comments mentioned it), but their plan is: "Once we have resolved the current issues, we plan to merge these additional realms."
  • Deadrites87Deadrites87 Member UncommonPosts: 94
    been playing the last couple of hours on warhound with no lag at all. Never had to wait in a que, these past couple of days either. Im also signature service. the only thing I have really had to deal with is the lag and well like i said tonight it has improved.
  • tinoberserktinoberserk Member UncommonPosts: 73
    been playing the last couple of hours on warhound with no lag at all. Never had to wait in a que, these past couple of days either. Im also signature service. the only thing I have really had to deal with is the lag and well like i said tonight it has improved.
    Yeah warhound seems to run pretty well. Even for eu players. Will try to login to eu servers this weekend though. I prefer to play on a pve server
  • titanofdoomtitanofdoom Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Excellent! Im a former subber of the game and enjoying it's re-launch - minus the problems!
    Perennially extricating the extraneous
  • tankknattankknat Member UncommonPosts: 68
    I don't get all the hate towards this... if you READ the statement it basically says to allow everyone to play they are adding the new servers... once they sort out whats wrong with the hardware thats not keeping up they will merge the servers together... so the issue of a dead server isnt really there... I for one will be happy to reroll on to one of the new servers and just enjoy the great game they have... (no im not a fan boi... havn't played since 1st month of the 1st launch)...
    Yep, the issue folks are missing is that these servers are just temporary, and will be merged into the megaserver tech once the technical issues are sorted that's causing all the problems. I'll adjust the post title a bit.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto

Yep, the issue folks are missing is that these servers are just temporary, and will be merged into the megaserver tech once the technical issues are sorted that's causing all the problems. I'll adjust the post title a bit.
    So if you are in a big hurry to play don't get too attached to your character name I guess.

Maybe? They use a two name system, so I bet instances of the same names will be rare. If they're smart (we hope), they'll link the servers so you can't use a name on Entity/Warhound 2 that is used on 1.

My Review Manifesto

• FomaldehydeJimFomaldehydeJim Member UncommonPosts: 673
    So if you are in a big hurry to play don't get too attached to your character name I guess.

Maybe? They use a two name system, so I bet instances of the same names will be rare. If they're smart (we hope), they'll link the servers so you can't use a name on Entity/Warhound 2 that is used on 1.
    Are original names (from the first release) saved or wiped? 
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617

They are gone. First time you try to log in it asks you to rename your char with a first and last name.
  • FomaldehydeJimFomaldehydeJim Member UncommonPosts: 673
    Nanfoodle said:

They are gone. First time you try to log in it asks you to rename your char with a first and last name.
    Well glad that purchase only ever bought me misery ;) 

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    Hmmm interesting seems threats do have an effect... subscriber petition goes in, new servers come out.
  • munnmunn Member UncommonPosts: 27
    FYI on Names across (pre-merge) servers:

"All name exclusivity will be shared across the expanded servers; the server expanded out from Entity will not allow any name taken on Entity to be made on it, for example. This way the merge will be clean."

https://forums.wildstar-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/135358-feedback-new-wildstar-realms-incoming/