Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dungeons & Dragons Online: Game to Hit Shelves This Week

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

As a note to this press release, we have also promoted the game's status to "live" on our list. You can now enter your ratings on their rating meter.

DUNGEONS & DRAGONS ONLINE™: STORMREACH™ HITS STORE SHELVES THIS WEEK

Turbine’s Highly Anticipated Online Roleplaying Game Launches in North America

WESTWOOD, Mass. - February 28, 2006 – Turbine, Inc. and Atari, Inc. (NASDAQ: ATAR) announced that DUNGEONS & DRAGONS ONLINE™: Stormreach™, the first massively multiplayer online (“MMO”) roleplaying game inspired by the legendary pen and paper game, has launched in North America. DUNGEONS & DRAGONS ONLINE™ is a unique experience where players must use their combat skills and wits to survive dangerous dungeons, fiendish traps and foes that punish the foolish. This seamlessly combines the beautiful world of Eberron®, the classic D&D® v3.5 Edition rules, and the latest innovations in online technology into a breathtaking gaming experience like no other. DUNGEONS & DRAGONS® is under license from the Hasbro Properties Group, the intellectual property development arm of Hasbro, Inc. (NYSE: HAS).

“DUNGEONS & DRAGONS ONLINE offers fresh and exciting gameplay that captures the true spirit of the D&D adventures that we grew up with,” said Jeffrey Anderson, president and CEO of Turbine, Inc. “We are confident that DUNGEONS & DRAGONS ONLINE will appeal to MMO gamers and D&D fans alike.”

“We are extremely pleased with DUNGEONS & DRAGONS ONLINE,” said Nique Fajors, senior vice president, marketing, Atari, Inc. “D&D is an iconic brand that has spawned a legion of imitators, but this game delivers the real thing to online gaming fans everywhere.”

“Players around the world will appreciate Turbine’s faithful adaptation of D&D’s party-based adventures - a system that has made the pen and paper game a powerful brand for over 30 years,” said Jeff Burdeen, vice president for the Hasbro Properties Group.

Developed by Turbine and published by Atari, DUNGEONS & DRAGONS ONLINE: Stormreach is the first and only massively multiplayer online roleplaying game based on the world-renowned DUNGEONS & DRAGONS® brand franchise from Wizards of the Coast, Inc, a subsidiary of Hasbro. This highly anticipated game features:

• Authentic D&D Characters
    Create a custom character from D&D’s newest campaign setting, Eberron, choosing from nine classes (barbarian, bard, cleric, fighter, paladin, ranger, rogue, sorcerer and wizard) and five races (human, elf, halfling, dwarf or warforged) plus hundreds of skills, feats and looks. The result is a countless number of possible combinations. Characters will need both wit and brawn to complete quests and advance over time.
  • Fast-Paced Combat
    A unique Active Combat control system requires tactical thinking and quick reflexes as much as character abilities and skill. Characters will battle in real-time and have the ability to block with shields, dodge to the side and tumble away from enemy attacks. Unlike other online roleplaying games, the outcome of the battle is not solely determined by statistics – player skill is an important factor in succeeding in combat.
  • Dangerous Dungeons
    Players must face devious traps, intricate puzzles and fierce monsters in their quest for treasure and rewards. Private instanced adventures minimize the interference from party outsiders and reward players for the cooperative completion of quest objectives, eliminating the sense of repetitive combat found in other massively multiplayer online games.
  • Instant Adventure
    When undertaking a quest in the bustling frontier city of Stormreach, players will be instantly transported into the quest environment to begin their adventure, reducing tedious travel and waiting.
  • Authentic Party-Based D&D Gameplay
    Coordinate tactics with the game’s integrated voice chat system to experience D&D the way it was meant to be played – in a small party setting. Players will need to create balanced parties including a variety of character classes in order to complete their quests.

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• bobothewizarbobothewizar Member Posts: 56

6.9 hype and really rabid fanbois that if you say anything negative about this game they jump all over the place saying how its not WoW and stuff.

Repetative game and IMHO not worth $15 a month. it should be free.

• gmantisgmantis Member Posts: 62

So did this game ever get better? Im not talking about the playstyle. Im refering to all the bugs and lag that people said were in this game.

I love all types of playstyles MMOs from EVE, COH, Second life so that dosent really bother me. Every MMO ive ever played has been repeditive.

What I hate is bugs, crap programming, and tons of lag. Nothing turns me off more.

• Nai`NeasNai`Neas Member Posts: 48

I was on the second wave of beta invites, I Beta tested it the whole Beta period. Made 7th level, was really bored. Joined the forums in 2004. played D&D since 1983.

The Eberron content falls FAR short. I LOVE EBERRON...this is just D&D with WArforged, set in a Eberron City!

It lacks alot of feats.

It lacks alot of content. You can't make level 10 without repeating many quests...OVER AND OVER AND OVER!!!!

The XP system BLOWS (use REAL D&D XP!!!)

I'll look at it again when there are 20 levels, and all classes, I'll evaluate the content then.

I lost my hype ability or I would drop mine to 1 or 2!
    lackluster game.

• pirrgpirrg Member Posts: 1,443

turbine will celebrate the event by filing for bankruptcy, mark my words ::::02::

• mikevrkmikevrk Member Posts: 37

agree. DDO should be free to play.

there's lot of content in D&D world and if (still hoping...) all bugs will be fixed
    by releasing new content say twice per year (like Arena.net do with GuildWars)
    DDO will attract most of smallparty PvE-ers :)

but I'm afraid that free play will greatly increase the number of players
    & if network code is bad (and in beta it really was .. ) - it's ruin the whole
    idea of bringing D&D online...

• mikevrkmikevrk Member Posts: 37

agree. DDO should be free to play.

there's lot of content in D&D world and if (still hoping...) all bugs will be fixed
    by releasing new content say twice per year (like Arena.net do with GuildWars)
    DDO will attract most of smallparty PvE-ers :)

but I'm afraid that free play will greatly increase the number of players
    & if network code is bad (and in beta it really was .. ) - it's ruin the whole
    idea of bringing D&D online...