Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen Employees Speak Out on Project Woes!

SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360
edited October 2015 in Star Citizen

Fresh article out of Escapist Magazine, about current and former employees speaking out how the project and the company is in deep trouble...

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/features/14715-CIG-Employees-Talk-Star-Citizen-and-the-State-of-the-Company

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/14727-The-Escapist-Explains-Its-Star-Citizen-Sources-Vetting-and-Respo

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escapist-podcast/57500-Crowdfunding-Podcast

And the Chris Roberts responses to the above article!

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14979-Chairmans-Response-To-The-Escapist

PS: EXTRA LINKS WITH ARTICLES ABOUT THESE EVENTS:

http://www.dereksmart.com/2015/10/star-citizen-the-endgame/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2015/10/07/everybody-needs-to-calm-down-about-star-citizen/

http://www.wired.com/2015/03/fans-dropped-77m-guys-buggy-half-built-game/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2015/10/01/report-star-citizen-is-almost-out-of-cash-and-chris-roberts-insatiable-ambition-is-to-blame/ 

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2015/10/04/star-citizen-developer-threatens-lawsuit-against-the-escapist-demands-apology-and-retraction/ 

http://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarder/2015/10/02/the-excess-of-star-citizen-is-the-price-gaming-pays-for-upholding-the-great-man-myth/ 

http://www.informationredux.com/index.php/2015/10/03/lets-take-apart-this-letter-that-chris-roberts-wrote-to-the-escapist/

https://techraptor.net/content/star-citizen-lawsuits-and-journalism-ethics

https://popehat.com/2015/10/04/in-space-no-one-can-hear-you-threaten-lawsuits/

http://www.informationredux.com/index.php/2015/10/05/the-escapist-vs-star-citizen-or-how-to-not-back-down/

What are your thoughts with all these recent information coming out?

If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
Post edited by Seelinnikoi on

Comments

• ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    Maybe Derek is Smart afterall....

• SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360
    edited October 2015
    Maybe Derek is Smart afterall....

We are not discussing Derek here, but these bits and pieces of information coming out, regarding the state of the game developement at CIG/RSI is really worrying...

"Multiple sources from within the company stated that the Pacific Palisades mansion that Chris Roberts shares with Sandi Gardiner is being paid for with funds from the company, along with the couple's personal vehicles and personal vacations.

CS5* stated that Gardiner would be out of the country on vacation or auditioning for movie or television roles, allegedly paid for with company money, but would post images of the office - taken by another employee - to make it appear as though she was at work."

*CS5 being the confirmed employee contacted by the journalists, which had his identity concealed.

__

Please note that the article has several pages, which some people might miss the page buttons at the bottom of it. So read it all and post back what you think! :)

New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    This seems like it's turning into an amazingly expensive lesson for the gaming consumers. I'm glad I didn't put money into this game.
    MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
  • donger56donger56 Member RarePosts: 443
    Anyone that did 5 minutes of research on Roberts would have seen this. The guy is notorious for going way over budget and way past deadlines. He promises the moon and delivers pebbles. He left gaming to try to be the next George Lucas and that was a major disaster too. Now he's back with his hand out because no one would ever fund anything with his name on it. He is a wonderful salesman and great at marketing but he kind of sucks at actually making anything any more. The last time he made a really successful game we were using 5 1/4 inch floppy drives. If you donated to Roberts retirement fund aka Star Citizen, you threw your money away. Be smarter next time and do some research. 
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    edited October 2015
    Yeah, BS.  No identified sources this is just baseless accusations at this point.  Until a credible witness, ie an actual named employee (or former employee) comes forward this is all BS.  Also, I am not sure where the production is taking place, but just on the first page alone there is enough allegation to support a legal suit in either the U.S. or the U.K.  So again I say BS to the entire article.

Now, if some legal action is announced agains CIG, or Roberts then I will eat crow but until then I am not buying it at all.

And before you say it, no I am not a fanboi, I am not even a supporter of the game, and yes I am a Derek Smart hater, but this is not related to that idiot, and until I see something from an official source, this is all just bunk.  imo.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    As always I don't know what to believe, hence why I find a wait and see approach to be best. Who knows...

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Hatefull said:
    Yeah, BS.  No identified sources this is just baseless accusations at this point.  Until a credible witness, ie an actual named employee (or former employee) comes forward this is all BS.  Also, I am not sure where the production is taking place, but just on the first page alone there is enough allegation to support a legal suit in either the U.S. or the U.K.  So again I say BS to the entire article.

Now, if some legal action is announced agains CIG, or Roberts then I will eat crow but until then I am not buying it at all.

And before you say it, no I am not a fanboi, I am not even a supporter of the game, and yes I am a Derek Smart hater, but this is not related to that idiot, and until I see something from an official source, this is all just bunk.  imo.
    Read the article, the Escapist Magazine confirmed their sources and confirmed that they were indeed former employees, though they have chosen not to disclose their names for obvious reasons.
  • forcelimaforcelima Member UncommonPosts: 232
    Truth usually lies somewhere in between.
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Doesn't look good for Star Citizen. Escapist wouldn't be publishing this unless their sources were good.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Lol, Mr Roberts and his harem of bedroom fans are looking more stupid day by day. I find this whole thing very entertaining, time to grab some more popcorn.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    You can believe everything you read in the media.

ps. If you can't stand behind your words, your words mean shit.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

edited October 2015
    Let's wait till warly baby and his side kick "have no fun" arrive. I'm sure they will use there usual game of deflection. 

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited October 2015
    Obviously it is never really about Derek yet MANY like to use him as the scapegoat for Chris Roberts.

I noticed in the few comments that somebody had to once again deter from the subject matter and try to use Derek as a scapegoat once again.

There is soooooo much wrong with the way Chris is running this whole thing from selling new ships and spending money constantly to outsource more being made is a complete joke.QUIT spending money on outsourcing ships and put 100% effort into the game.

To me it is all a smokescreen,he is stalling and stalling big time,simple reason is he likely needs more money, a lot more time and sees tons of profits from selling ships.As long as careless loose spenders keep buying his ships,he will never focus any meaningful effort into the game,this is EASY money for him,just keep bantering about this next coming of Christ and the collection plate will continue to fill up.

He had a vision that revolved around what,20 million tops.Somehow that vision barely changed at all,definitely not worth another 60+ million seems to remain hidden away in some corner.You know how small an effort it is to show what he has shown his backers,like a 5-10 man team  4 months tops.SO i truly believe this has been run with incompetence,wasted finances.I can truly see how his wife would be a scouring angry women,i have sen this profile before,it is a defensive posture,you know you are incompetent at your job so by lashing out insulting others you keep the focus on them and not on you.

If these accusations are actually true they could be in for some serious trouble with the law,like even jail time.Of course these Human Relations offices and all these small time offices are a joke.They are just there to create jobs for families in government,give them a nice cushy job,they will need to take them to court over HR issues and unfair work place conduct.You know the sad reality,even a huge lawsuit wouldnt hurt Chris it would come out of the backers money lmao.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    Alot of us have seen this coming along time, find it odd that people still defend this company, all they do now is podcasts and selling ships.
  • DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    This is the first time I've been actually worried. But without named sources, it's pretty useless. That said, it's so harsh and I must admit Chris Roberts COULD fit the described profile even while being a great visionary. As for the wife, I really have no idea.
  • Stuka1000Stuka1000 Member UncommonPosts: 955
    Hatefull said:

Do you want to buy a ship?  I have one honest, all nice and digital and everything only $500
  • Panserbjorne39Panserbjorne39 Member UncommonPosts: 142
    Fake journalism. A bunch of rumors and hearsay. Meh. 
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    They can't mention their names, they signed a contract to not publish any information on what's happening.

Hope you understand the risks involved. They would go to court.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Not saying this is the case here but in general this is why I don't put a lot of money in kick starters.  I don't know if the  person is good with money management. 

They may be talented but a lot of people don't have the ability to have hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars sitting in their bank account and resist using it for personal stuff even beyond their salaries.  Especially if they don't have an accountant to keep track of everything and are doing all the funding management themselves. 

Even a good accountant, has been know to funnel funds away for themselves or take everything and disappear.

What employee would give their names after signing confidentiality agreements but feel morally compelled to let people know what's going on?

But like I said this is just how I feel about kick starters in general and I don't know what's going on with this one.  A lot of kick starters have done well and produced something good, few have lived up to the hype.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    Nobody but Derek Smart call Sandi Chris's wife or use the sentence "It's never been done because it can't be done.".

CS2 seems unaware that there is a PTU available, so much for being an employee. He also wine about them making only commercial and no game, yet talks about the modules which are totally playable (you know something part of a gme).  So which is it exactly?

CS1 and CS4 must have worked in HR supervised by the VP marketing...Nobody but HR would see HR related emails. Also, some of the stuff they said there would either mean Lizzi is going to lose her job or Sandi is going to lose her job...

CS7 says "CS7 indicated that Cloud Imperium Games Montreal entered into a joint venture partnership with Turbulent". There is no CIG office in Montreal...
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Hmm... The Escapist also. This is no lightweight publication and they do have reasonable journalistic ethics guidelines http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/editorials/12223-The-Escapist-Publisher-Issues-Public-Statement-on-Gamergate.5

It's getting harder to ignore the smoke and not think that there's fire in there somewhere.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• WarleyWarley Member UncommonPosts: 508
    Well, shit...

I'm glad I waited for CR to crush some dreams here. ;/
  • gearchin13gearchin13 Member UncommonPosts: 44
    edited October 2015
    donger56 said:
    Anyone that did 5 minutes of research on Roberts would have seen this. The guy is notorious for going way over budget and way past deadlines. He promises the moon and delivers pebbles. He left gaming to try to be the next George Lucas and that was a major disaster too. Now he's back with his hand out because no one would ever fund anything with his name on it. He is a wonderful salesman and great at marketing but he kind of sucks at actually making anything any more. The last time he made a really successful game we were using 5 1/4 inch floppy drives. If you donated to Roberts retirement fund aka Star Citizen, you threw your money away. Be smarter next time and do some research. 
     I believe it's also a game  under the control of an ego maniac, and it may never see the light of day because of it.
    Have no fun, where are you?