Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elder Scrolls Online | Imperial City From a PvE Perspective - Is it Worth It? | MMORPG

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited September 2015 in News & Features Discussion

imageElder Scrolls Online | Imperial City From a PvE Perspective - Is it Worth It? | MMORPG

The Elder Scrolls Online Imperial City DLC came with a host of changes, including the PvP upgrades and balance that many had been hoping for for some time. Cyrodiil is a place where many players do go to enjoy themselves, and Zenimax has stated before that its goal was to create a zone that would attract different kinds of players. So what is Imperial City like for a player like myself who often plays solo and is more of a PvE-oriented RPG player?

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• meonthissitemeonthissite Member UncommonPosts: 917
    To answer the question in the title (since the writer didn't and yes I read the whole thing) No. Plain and simple. All of the fears PVE players had about this place were well founded, can't turn in quests, can't complete quest objectives, can't even get your goods back to the bank so they remain safe. And yes I've played it. The portion where you can't get your currency back happens because of a bug in the game. Sometimes these rewards are instantly opened instead of remaining in their container like the developer said they would protecting them from other players. When you say one thing and your game does exactly the opposite, then there's a problem. And for perspective, I'm a fanboy of this game title right now.
  • cerulean2012cerulean2012 Member UncommonPosts: 492
    It might be pretty and offer quite a bit of pve content but I hate when developers do: 1. Make pve content dependent on what happens in pvp 2. Make you have to either travel through pvp areas or do your pve in pvp areas. If I choose a pve server then I expect it to be pve, I should not have to have pvp dictate anything that I wish to do in pve. Like the author, I choose to pvp when I am in the mood, so I shouldn't have to wade through pvp areas of even quest in pvp zones for pve. To me this is a strike against the game & area.
  • DijonCyanideDijonCyanide Member UncommonPosts: 586
    Good informative article & insightful from the author & posters about Imperial City's influence upon ESO. I very rarely participate in PvP in any game. I enjoyed the PvE side of exploring, storylines, & cooperation of games. I had planned to eventually try-out ESO, but to coerce PvEers into PvP situations I simply disagree with that approach. I guess I'll go back & enjoy Skyrim for my Elder Scrolls itch which is still an awesome game.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    This is why gating IC should've been a universal feature from the start. It cuts down on PvP in the PvE area, instead forcing each realm to keep the maximum amount of PvP players in Cyrodiil attempting to take keeps instead of roaming IC ganking without any real fear of their access being revoked due to a lack of manpower in Cyrodiil. The gating should have been an integral part of the IC expansion from the very start. It's a shame Zenimax couldn't see that.

• kryntokkryntok Member UncommonPosts: 77
    I love to pve but what's wrong with fighting against actual players? Basically all I hear is you like fighting brainless NPCs. Players are smarter then the NPCs so I guess there's too much challenge?
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    kryntok said:
    I love to pve but what's wrong with fighting against actual players? Basically all I hear is you like fighting brainless NPCs. Players are smarter then the NPCs so I guess there's too much challenge?
    Some people do not like to be actively interfered with while doing pve activities.  The "challenge" you speak of usually turns into harassment and there usually is no challenge because pvp comes down to numbers and relative strength.
  • Krynt0kKrynt0k Member UncommonPosts: 256
    So they spilled a little multiplayer into your single player mmo soup? Give me a break.
  • NomadMorlockNomadMorlock Member UncommonPosts: 815
    edited September 2015
    To answer the question in the title (since the writer didn't and yes I read the whole thing) No. Plain and simple. All of the fears PVE players had about this place were well founded, can't turn in quests, can't complete quest objectives, can't even get your goods back to the bank so they remain safe. And yes I've played it. The portion where you can't get your currency back happens because of a bug in the game. Sometimes these rewards are instantly opened instead of remaining in their container like the developer said they would protecting them from other players. When you say one thing and your game does exactly the opposite, then there's a problem. And for perspective, I'm a fanboy of this game title right now.
    My experience (and those of my guild members) have been the Polar opposite. No one has ever had an issue completing a quest, much less turning one in (which always happens in a completely safe area). Completing the quest objectives can be done solo though you could be attacked by another player when an objective requires you to kill mobs to collect an item. 90% of quest locations are protected from combat and you can't be attacked while talking to NPC's. No one I have ever talked to (or seen on the forums) has had issue banking their Tel-Var Stones and your reward packs do not "open on their own". If these were real issues I would have read about them on the forums as I read it daily and help keep the "known bug" thread updated. Not sure of your motivation for posting this, but I call bullshit on your entire post. For some added value, many players in my guild who have never spent time in Cyrodiil have loved IC. This has precipitated last Saturday the first guild event to take keeps and scrolls, all asked for by the same PVE players because they had so much fun in IC. The PVE storyline is short for my taste but introduces you to every area of IC well and the two new PvE Dungeons are some of the best dungeon content in the game. Great Mechanics and Bosses, great story, etc. Definitely worth it in my opinion if you are at or approaching VR15 and VR16 as the rewards bring more value to that level range.
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    Orsinium will be for the PvE players and those PvE players trying to play in the Imperial City will move on. 
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    SlyLoK said:
    Orsinium will be for the PvE players and those PvE players trying to play in the Imperial City will move on. 
    Or you know, maybe they tried something new and (gasp!) they liked it.

Some posters in their PVE vs. PVP posts come across like stodgy old geezers who tried something in 1939, liked it, and no one will ever be able to get them to try something else.

Variety... spice of life and stuff... you know? :)
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

kryntok said:
    Some people just don't like pvp. I for one do not like having pvp mixed in my pve. When I want to pve then I only want pve and when I want pvp I don't want to worry about pve. So putting pve in a pvp area is something that myself and others find no interest in.
    Iselin said:
    SlyLoK said:

Some posters in their PVE vs. PVP posts come across like stodgy old geezers who tried something in 1939, liked it, and no one will ever be able to get them to try something else.

Oh Gasp! yes some do but some don't like it. Those that don't like will move on.
  • TacBoyTacBoy Member UncommonPosts: 142
    To answer the question in the title (since the writer didn't and yes I read the whole thing) No.
    To be fair, he did answer it: "With the vastness of Imperial City and its accessibility and content, as someone who is only into the most casual PvP, I would say yes, it is worth having access to Imperial City."
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    Iselin said:
    SlyLoK said:

Oh Gasp! yes some do but some don't like it. Those that don't like will move on.
    Which is what I meant. Thanks for getting it. Dont think it deserved a snotty reply.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    TacBoy said:
    To answer the question in the title (since the writer didn't and yes I read the whole thing) No.
    To be fair, he did answer it: "With the vastness of Imperial City and its accessibility and content, as someone who is only into the most casual PvP, I would say yes, it is worth having access to Imperial City."
    That elaborate and wordy "positive conclusion" in the article seems rather contrived. In truth, for those that don't like PVP, the IC is a waste of money. I'll be passing on this one and waiting for Orsinium instead.
  • ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    Free up the world! This game would be so great if there was more to do in the lands. Vertical progression kind of killed this game for me.
    MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    This pvp'r is pve'ing more than I have in the past 5 years. Everyday I run the new dungeons. I spend a lot of time grinding for trophies too.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Main problem I will never not even try because of WASD. I just can not imagine ever in my life to play again with WASD once I have started to use mouse buttons to move.
  • josko9josko9 Member RarePosts: 577
    edited October 2015
    Iselin said:
    SlyLoK said:

Or alternatively they are players who are playing a game based on a beloved NON PVP based IP that have the choice to either not participate in this new expansion or be force to play a type of game play they do not like and never asked for. If Zenimax didn't want them in their game they should never had tried to market a game towards them.

Now as a PVP hound I find ESO's PVP to be completely lightweight and meaningless, and therefore not enjoyable. If I want that type of game play I'll just go play an FPS or a MOBA and avoid what I feel is an unnecessary amount of PVE features to enjoy PVP. So my argument isn't "You got PVP in my PVE game!! WAHHH!!!" Its that Zenimax is trying to cater to two entirely separate communities of players and doing a poor job for either. So people need to stop blaming the players and shove that shit back at Zenimax where it truly belongs.

And the best bit of irony, you continuously defend this game by claiming the people you argue against are too closed minded and unable to see anyone elses point of view or as you called them stodgy old geezers who refuse to change, yet time and again its you who refuses to bother to see any viewpoint but your own and instead of offering a rational argument you jump straight to blanket personnel insults. So yeah variety is the spice of life, too bad that seems to mean you feel everyone should like only what you like.
    Exactly, they have a choice either to play Imperial City or not. Orsinium is coming soon anyway, and they'll for sure buy it. Not to mention these Casuals have enough content to last them more than a year with just the base game anyway, so what is your point again?

Since when are MOBA and MMORPG PVP the same thing? Can you have 200 vs 200 vs 200 player siege battle in League of Legends? No? Well ESO is anything but lightweight and meaningless on the PvP side, if anything it belongs on the list of the best PVP MMOs ever made, and is for sure the best PVP MMO today.

Which is impressive because ESO has also the best Solo MMO experience, which I'd put into the PvE category. The Story, Quests, Lore, Detail etc. are in a whole new league in this genre. The group PvE activities are anything but bad too, mostly due to the exceptional combat system.

He doesn't need to "defend the game" when there are millions of other players on each platform playing ESO today, and it's constantly growing. Surely they've done a lot of right along the way.
    Post edited by josko9 on
    Iselin said:
    SlyLoK said:

Or alternatively they are players who are playing a game based on a beloved NON PVP based IP that have the choice to either not participate in this new expansion or be force to play a type of game play they do not like and never asked for. If Zenimax didn't want them in their game they should never had tried to market a game towards them.

Now as a PVP hound I find ESO's PVP to be completely lightweight and meaningless, and therefore not enjoyable. If I want that type of game play I'll just go play an FPS or a MOBA and avoid what I feel is an unnecessary amount of PVE features to enjoy PVP. So my argument isn't "You got PVP in my PVE game!! WAHHH!!!" Its that Zenimax is trying to cater to two entirely separate communities of players and doing a poor job for either. So people need to stop blaming the players and shove that shit back at Zenimax where it truly belongs.

And the best bit of irony, you continuously defend this game by claiming the people you argue against are too closed minded and unable to see anyone elses point of view or as you called them stodgy old geezers who refuse to change, yet time and again its you who refuses to bother to see any viewpoint but your own and instead of offering a rational argument you jump straight to blanket personnel insults. So yeah variety is the spice of life, too bad that seems to mean you feel everyone should like only what you like.
    Not everyone buys into the idea that PVErs and PVPers are two "entirely separate communities." You apparently do since you're always harping on about how you see something wrong with ESO having both types of game play in abundance.

Apparently you're comfortable with the figurative forum finger pointing when people take sides and declare themselves to be 100% one of the two and the other side is the scum of the earth who are either carebears or griefers. Those are the ones whose posts come accros like stodgy old geezers and yeah I will blanket insult them for their close-minded selfishness.

Darkness Falls in DAoC exposed many people who were hesitant about trying PVP for the first time. That was a very good thing in that it enabled many players to step out of their comfort zone, try something new and many found, to their surprise that they enjoyed it. Those types of more open minded gamers I have all the time in the world for. ESO in a lesser way is also doing that with the IC... which is a very large part of the point of Christina's article.

We know all about your blind hatred of ESO (and the attraction it apparently holds for you as well since you can't resist the topic.) You don't really have to constantly remind us and make a fool of yourself by comparing it to MOBAs and saying it's "lightweight and meaningless." Which, BTW, in case you haven't noticed this about yourself, is your way of making blanket personal insults at everyone who enjoys it. Although to be fair your points are so over the top with exaggerated vitriol that we're a lot more amused than offended by them.

Now is that rational argument enough for you?
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    The question "Imperial City from a PvP perspective" could -equally - be asked. And for some the answer will be no.

Whilst I don't entirely agree that Darkness Falls (in DAoC) exposed people to PvP for the first time - I think  DAoC itself did that - I do agree that there are people who do a mix of both PvE and PvP. Does IC work for these? Maybe. Maybe better now that they have added the "lock out" feature and those whose playstyle is more PvE can quest more easily - the way I suspect it was intended.

Should the feature be part of an ESO game? Why not? Yes ES games have always been PvE only but the reason for that is because they were also single player only. 

Going forward  the issue - I suspect - will be moot. IC will simply be "one feature" of ESO (assuming that further content is released).
    edited October 2015
    gervaise1 said:
    The question "Imperial City from a PvP perspective" could -equally - be asked. And for some the answer will be no.

Whilst I don't entirely agree that Darkness Falls (in DAoC) exposed people to PvP for the first time - I think  DAoC itself did that - I do agree that there are people who do a mix of both PvE and PvP. Does IC work for these? Maybe. Maybe better now that they have added the "lock out" feature and those whose playstyle is more PvE can quest more easily - the way I suspect it was intended.

Should the feature be part of an ESO game? Why not? Yes ES games have always been PvE only but the reason for that is because they were also single player only. 

Going forward  the issue - I suspect - will be moot. IC will simply be "one feature" of ESO (assuming that further content is released).
    It didn't get me out to the frontiers - I was already doing both PVE and PVP before DF but it did for a lot of players from my guild and many others I talked to in DF.

Leveling in DAoC as I'm sure you remember, was a PVE thing and most of it was grinding. DF became a highly desirable PVE grinding spot with better rewards than elsewhere at the time. That was the draw.

Something else I find funny is people knocking ESO because you need to PVE in order to PVP... as if this were a new thing or it's the only MMO to do this. Anyone who was in DAoC before expansions knows, getting to level cap took a hell of a lot more PVE time than it takes in ESO even with the veteran ranks.

Mixing PVE with PVP game play has always been the norm in MMOs. The oddities are the no PVP games or the all PVP ones.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• NomadMorlockNomadMorlock Member UncommonPosts: 815
    edited October 2015
    There is another point of value in IC that has also been overlooked. Players of all levels can play together and earn gear and xp appropriate to their level in Cyrodiil. For guild outings or playing with friends of lower levels this has always been great, but imperial city provides several different play fields and new dailies. I have guild mates loving IC at VR 1-5 doing dailies for TV stones so when they hit VR16, they can get geared and for the first time in a long time I can join them as a end game player without them loosing xp for grouping, etc. There really is a lot of value in this DLC, but I look forward to a 30 day gated campaign with increased rewards for IC. I think that's when the real fun starts. I also would love to see a mechanic to take and hold districts and a bounty board in the sewer bases.
  • PaskePaske Member UncommonPosts: 135
    BTW - there is only 1 ( one ) campaign that has limited access to IC. Its a 7 days campaign and it clearly states IC access is dependent on home keeps. As for PVE part of IC. Quests are nice, dungeons are better. All in all a fun. Personally I enjoy leveling my DK in IC far better then in rest of the world. But then again Im usually in guild group.
  • GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    I'm pretty much a PvE player. I have to say that Imperial City is okay for PvE. The problem I have with just about any PvP mixed in with PvE areas is that PvP players are jerks (keeping it PG here lol). There are some honorable PvP players, but from my many years of MMO experience, it's just that way. They will wait until you pull a boss to kill you. They will camp areas where people return regularly with large amount of loot to steal (in loot games like Imperial City sort of is). They will zerg and run over you and you die in about .5 seconds lol. There are forms of PvP that I don't mind as much, but all of them involve little to no PvE at all. Face it, they just don't mix well. I actually like Cyrodiil and siege or defending keeps is a blast. Arena type PvP in other games is also pretty fun. I think the difference is that you expect to be killed by players in PvP only areas. Where they are mixed in with each other, sometimes you just want to PvE, but some jerk does something like mentioned above and ruins your immersion and/or fun.