Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG.com : General : Ripper's List: The Top 5 Hardcore PVP MMOs of All Time

2»

Comments

• AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    Lol, I was in that fight the Eve Online clip showed for the huge capital fight. While I loved that game and I've played it on and off for 7 years the tidi really killed my interest in returning.
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • IshkalIshkal Member UncommonPosts: 304
    You nailed it man although I'd disagree with the comment that UO took little skill. You had to know the mechanics in an out and there was a counter to EVERY move in the game. You also had to use almost every key on your keyboard if ya were pwning hard.
  • AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415
    edited October 2015
    Upsilon Circuit.

The game with perma-permadeath.

As in: One (1) death. Ever.

I'd class that as more an interesting social experiment than a game, but whatever.
  • FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398
    edited October 2015
    Couldn't agree more with rippys list! - Tangerine Hammock from Alfar of Nagast -
    http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • JonMassJonMass Member UncommonPosts: 7
    Very nice list... of course, I'm a particular fan of #1 ;)

Darkfall Developer

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    That guy really presents his videos well, always good to watch. I wonder if its possible to have a "hardcore pvp" game that actually focuses on pvp and has minimal or no pve or grinding for resources and so on. 
  • shawnpatshawnpat Member UncommonPosts: 74
    Wizardry said:
    Yes this version of Ripper is the one that should have always been here,i approve.

However as to these so called best pvp games,ZERO tactics,if you notice players are just standing out in the open across from each other spamming.

I can't say anything good about any rpg pvp,you can't do it properly in that genre.

If i showed a video of two players in what i call the best pvp ever "UT99" or even from the second best Quake,you would see a massive difference in the skill needed to be good at pvp.

In all these games the skill is more about spamming and just rushing out in the open like a dummy.Eve of course does not have that for obvious reasons,it is a slow ship based on far away combat and relying on setup and using that setup.I don't liek that type of pvp either,i don't want my gear to ever be a part of the pvp,i just want my wits versus my opponents wits.

PS can i fire whomever's idea it was to use this website?

Yes, you can fire yerself for being narrowminded and unkowledgable, this list is about mmo's silly
  • ZergmanZergman Member UncommonPosts: 41
    edited October 2015
    Apparently Darkfall Online's being relaunched. A development team lead by explayers is completing license agreements with Aventurine and is going to playtest/develop from late 2015/early 2016. www.riseofagon.com
  • Testify25Testify25 Member UncommonPosts: 1
    edited October 2015
    Excellent video Ripper. I am The Burning Legion, the person whose Asheron's Call footage you used. I was surprised to see my old video from like 05 used, heh. Darkfall died for me after they shut down DFO, unfortunately I couldn't stick it out in DF:UW, talk about ruining the game. I never played UO but I've only ever heard great things about it. The rankings seem pretty damn close to my view. Btw, there are many more good AC videos at dt.acpvp.com where we hosted them prior to YouTube.

Dagger Demon and Hwoarang of Asheron's Call Darktide.
    Anarchy of Archimonde World of Warcraft.
    Zharalim of DAoC Mordred.
    Patiently waiting for a good PvP game.

• RaapnaapRaapnaap Member UncommonPosts: 455
    edited October 2015

Darkfall Online will always be the best MMORPG I've ever played - and practically lived. Nothing can come to the level of excitement, investment, and enjoyment of that game.

It's so incredibly frustrating for me, even to this day, that it has been replaced by an inferior version; DFUW. Aventurine's biggest mistake was to shut down development for DFO in favour of DFUW, look where it got them now.

Still, there is a sliver of hope the small team left working at Aventurine can 'fix' DFUW. It's not an easy task, but it can be done with the proper funding. It really needs a new investor to see potential in it. I hope the current DFUW team can pull off a revival of the game... I also hope the people previously in charge of running DFUW's development end up moving to a different line of work, as game design wasn't their strength (I'm putting this politely).

Edit: Wow this forum is bad, can't even use paragraphs without resorting to HTML.
  • terakotakstterakotakst Member UncommonPosts: 5
    I am not sure if reloading DFO will have enough players after a months from releasing it once again but keeping fingers crossed for it!
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    /yawn Lineage is PVP
  • redripredrip MMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 224
    YashaX said:
    That guy really presents his videos well, always good to watch. I wonder if its possible to have a "hardcore pvp" game that actually focuses on pvp and has minimal or no pve or grinding for resources and so on. 

Thanks so for the kind words Yasha. I think Camelot Unchained might have potential, it wont be full loot pvp, but it will be completely focused on PVP, all lvling and rewards are through PvP in the upcoming game, so worth keeping an eye out. I wouldn't consider CU hardcore per say, but there will be a load of fun pvp and large group battles. Crowfall also has some potential as well with regards to PVP, but again both games are in pre-alpha so we shall see.
    Testify25 said:
    Excellent video Ripper. I am The Burning Legion, the person whose Asheron's Call footage you used. I was surprised to see my old video from like 05 used, heh. Darkfall died for me after they shut down DFO, unfortunately I couldn't stick it out in DF:UW, talk about ruining the game. I never played UO but I've only ever heard great things about it. The rankings seem pretty damn close to my view. Btw, there are many more good AC videos at dt.acpvp.com where we hosted them prior to YouTube.

Testify! That's awesome man, love your vids and obviously you are a damn good player, skilled to say the least. If I knew there were more vids to choose from I would of.. Definitely for more AC related content to come, I'll consider that link for sure. DF was a special game with a very special place in my heart, hope to see more games like this in the future. *fingers crossed*

I am not sure if reloading DFO will have enough players after a months from releasing it once again but keeping fingers crossed for it!
    I hate to say it, I mean I absolutely love the idea of a DF Re-Launch, but it will never be the same as the original release. It's hard to keep that magic alive, but personally it will be great to jump back in the original game if it does end up happening, player base or not, what a beautiful openworld. I'll be on a ship somewhere grinding my swim skills..:P
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited October 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • NejaaHalHalcyonNejaaHalHalcyon Member UncommonPosts: 4
    Great video, I'd love to have a chance to play the original Darkfall. Let's hope that the DFO: Return project succeeds! @redrip How about making a video about the best crafting systems in mmorpgs?
  • IsilithTehrothIsilithTehroth Member RarePosts: 616
    edited October 2015
    This is a better version of your voice, not over the top in your face wannabe american announcer, but I still prefer your actual british voice. -------------- Anyways for those that played DFO we all agree its hands down simply the best you can could and still can get for its genre(Unholywars is a abomination and lacking compared to it's predecessor). From the full loot, drag drop inventory, kill/stealable mounts and ships and the territory control and politics, to the fps high skill ceiling gameplay and do whatever you'd like scenarios it truely was one of a kind. A mistake of a masterpiece that was killed the by failings of it's parent company Aventurine with its lack of bug fixing, content additions, exploit and hacking handling and huge grind, before the final nail put into the coffin via Unholy Wars. Here is to hoping Aventurine redeem themselves somewhat and sell their liscense of DFO to the vying community of players looking develop the game and let us relive the magic. For those of you that turned DFO down because of the graphics, grind, venom on the forums or full loot you don't know what you were missing. Also for me a culmination of things made the listed games Hardcore, not just the fact you lose your character when you die.

MurderHerd

edited October 2015
    Surprised Darkfall made the top spot...
    That's because Ripper X has a personal bias towards that game. He did play it extremely hardcore for a period of time. That being said, nothing on the list was as hard as Wizardry Online with it's perma death aspects.

I don't have a personal bias towards DF, the game was hands down the most skill based MMO on the market.

I remember watching enemy guilds come together in PEACE for "fight nights" to watch top players duel..When players put down their weapons in a Full Loot FFA PVP game to watch others "duel" there's something to be said...

A skilled player or small group could completely dominate a larger group based on their gameplay experience. DF wasn't about gear, it was about how you fought and played. Every spell, every movement, the ability to dodge and feint/attack at the right time was everything. Add to that Full Loot PVP, there's a damn good reason why it's in the #1 spot.

Sure Wizardry Online had Permadeath, but it lacked in so many other things, WO wasn't skill based, it was gear based, and that definitely makes a difference when putting a top 5 list together.

• Ginger_MagicianGinger_Magician Member UncommonPosts: 3
    Darkfall was the highest skilled pvp MMO that I ever played. Eve online is a great game for sure but pvp skill wise it can't compete with Darkfall.
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    redrip said:
    That's because Ripper X has a personal bias towards that game. He did play it extremely hardcore for a period of time. That being said, nothing on the list was as hard as Wizardry Online with it's perma death aspects.

I remember watching enemy guilds come together in PEACE for "fight nights" to watch top players duel..When players put down their weapons in a Full Loot FFA PVP game to watch others "duel" there's something to be said...

A skilled player or small group could completely dominate a larger group based on their gameplay experience. DF wasn't about gear, it was about how you fought and played. Every spell, every movement, the ability to dodge and feint/attack at the right time was everything. Add to that Full Loot PVP, there's a damn good reason why it's in the #1 spot.

I just wondered why people who loved DF seem to dislike DFUW? Surely these points you mention above are also in DFUW? 
    YashaX said:
    redrip said:

I just wondered why people who loved DF seem to dislike DFUW? Surely these points you mention above are also in DFUW? 
    It's a valid point and different for many... Many people dislike the newer DFUW for their own reasons. For me, I enjoyed DFUW, it was still a thrilling experience and definitely had its moments, at the end of the day the original Darkfall Online had much faster paced combat, and when you switch that in a full loot pvp game and slow combat down, it makes a big difference to many of the original players that experienced that fast paced combat in the first place. Other complaints, players said that DFUW was too simplified compared to how you skilled up in the original, many others have their arguments. 

End of the day, I love DF, I love DFUW both, and I wish there was a higher player pop because both games are brilliant and incredibly fun.
  • MichaelAlexanderMichaelAlexander Member UncommonPosts: 17
    Aion and dragon's prophet is hardcore in my opinion amd blade and soul 1 v 1 is epic but its really dependant on low ping especially if you're a kung fu master :dizzy: 

look up dragon's prophet pvp and fights from this year . aion became way to gear based but then again its a tab target game you can't out skill ppl by very much in tab games :(