Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Julio, Julio, where for art thou ?

I take it Mr. Torres has been fired ? He hasnt been seen in a while.

Perhaps his idiocy on G4TV was the final straw. If so, sweet revenge. Im still pissed at Attack of the Show for not calling out Mr. Torres for the obvious issues with the game when they couldnt get Kenobi to spawn on live tv

Comments

• Wildcat84Wildcat84 Member Posts: 2,304

On the SOE site, they continue to delete any posts about the new positions, and they delete any posts asking if JT was fired.

No denial that I have seen either...  Considering that the two positions look like those of Nancy "Uncle Owen" McIntyre, and Julio "I play WoW, not SWG" Torres, my guess is they are gone or have been reassigned.

Certainly SOMEONE needs to take the blame for the NGE disaster.  If they are EVER going to change over there, the management needs to change.  It's too incestuous over there.

Smed, I suspect, will get the axe soon himself, especially if the DC comics MMO flops.  Sony isn't going to tolerate being the #3 MMO maker after dominating for so many years.

• SpathotanSpathotan Member Posts: 3,928

Originally posted by Wildcat84
    On the SOE site, they continue to delete any posts about the new positions, and they delete any posts asking if JT was fired.
    No denial that I have seen either... Considering that the two positions look like those of Nancy "Uncle Owen" McIntyre, and Julio "I play WoW, not SWG" Torres, my guess is they are gone or have been reassigned.
    Certainly SOMEONE needs to take the blame for the NGE disaster. If they are EVER going to change over there, the management needs to change. It's too incestuous over there.
    Smed, I suspect, will get the axe soon himself, especially if the DC comics MMO flops. Sony isn't going to tolerate being the #3 MMO maker after dominating for so many years.

It will flop there is no doubt. Two reasons why it will. 1. Its just basically a carbon copy of Project Entropia with a DC Comics sticker on it. And 2. It will be on the PSP...which I think everybody knows is a complete failure and possibly the biggest waste of money the gaming industry has seen since SoE employees.

"There's no star system Slave I can't reach, and there's no planet I can't find. There's nowhere in the Galaxy for you to run. Might as well give up now."
    — Boba Fett

• RabiaRabia Member Posts: 622

Has anyone tried to call up the Lucas Arts office and ask for Julio Torres?
    Most companies will either say:

1. Who may I ask is called?
    And when you are no one, hang up.
    2. I am sorry, he is unavailable, would you like his voice mail?
    Then, he is unlikely to have been fired.
    3. I am sorry, he is no longer with the company.
    This is not against privacy. A company can state you are or are not an employee.
    4. none of the above apply to Lucas Arts because they are above it all.

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261
    Julio has never been a heavy poster and only showed up every few months.  The fact we haven't heard from him for a few weeks is nothing out of the norm.

• Ransom73Ransom73 Member Posts: 227

Just call up Lucas Arts, say "Good afternoon!  My name is *insert name*, I'm with *insert local newspaper* in *insert city*.  May I please speak with Mr. Julio Torres please?"

I might try that....

I thought it was Smed who was the heavy poster on SOE.....

• Ransom73Ransom73 Member Posts: 227

nah, he's posted about...8 times?

he frequents the foh guild forums thou

• Wildcat84Wildcat84 Member Posts: 2,304

Smedley has probably avoided the axe at SOE because their biggest flop so far has been SWG. EQ and EQ2 aren't losing huge numbers of subs, though EQ2 never made it as big as WoW, they are still solid games with a large fan base.

Smed can survive SWG flopping because to Sony's executives, he has a built in scapegoat: LucasArts. I am sure Julio and Nancy have already been thrown under the bus by Smed in SOE board meetings...

Originally posted by Wildcat84
    Smedley has probably avoided the axe at SOE because their biggest flop so far has been SWG. EQ and EQ2 aren't losing huge numbers of subs, though EQ2 never made it as big as WoW, they are still solid games with a large fan base.Smed can survive SWG flopping because to Sony's executives, he has a built in scapegoat: LucasArts. I am sure Julio and Nancy have already been thrown under the bus by Smed in SOE board meetings...

From His Bio on Station.sony.com:
    "Mr. Smedley was instrumental in the creation and development of the original EverQuest and was co-founder of Verant Interactive, Inc., which became Sony Online Entertainment Inc. (SOE) after it was purchased by Sony Pictures Entertainment in 2000. Under his leadership, Sony Online Entertainment has grown from a small developer with a single online PC game to an industry leader with hundreds of thousands of subscribers and multiple titles published on the PC, PlayStation 2, PSP, wireless and handheld platforms."

But, the fact is, other companies are more successful than he has ever been or every will be...

Blizzard/WoW, CCP/EvE, etc relative to user base and resources. For example, what isn't EQ2 more successful given that was his second chance to have WoW like success? Clearly, WoW demonstrated a level of success that Smedley has been unable to match given he has had numerous changes to do so.

• chlaoschlaos Member Posts: 1,118

Good riddance.   image

"The man who exchanges Liberty for Iconic classes is a fool deserving of neither." - Me and Ben Franklin

• SonOfAGhostSonOfAGhost Member Posts: 383

As much as I'd like to see Julio rattling a tin cup downtown I think the job was posted prior to the producer letters release. Since they never promised 2 such letters I think they wouldn't have published his as well if he wasn't still there.

Oh, and don't get confused by Julio working for LA while he works at SOE.

*EDIT*
    Or should that be paid by LA while occupying space at SOE. There being no evidence of his actually doing anything constructive.

• ArvadArvad Member Posts: 107

The market place will decide the fate of Julio and Smed.

Just a reminder to cancel your SOE accounts. image

Originally posted by Arvad

Well, the market place will help decide the fate of SWG:NGE. But, only the BoD will decide the Smed, Ward, and Julio fates.

May SWG fail to the misery of Smedley, Torres and Ward.

• azhrarnazhrarn Member Posts: 817

Originally posted by Rabia

Originally posted by Arvad

Well, the market place will help decide the fate of SWG:NGE. But, only the BoD will decide the Smed, Ward, and Julio fates.

May SWG fail to the misery of Smedley, Torres and Ward.

Amen to that.

• Bob_BlawblawBob_Blawblaw Member Posts: 1,278
    If I was to speculate, just for the fun of it, I'd say it's Casey 'no comment' Keefe who would be served the pink slip, thereby leaving the PR role open for Julio to jump into, cause Julio's not afraid to blatently lie about stuff, making him way better at PR then Casey. Thereby leaving Julio's old job up for grabs.

Originally posted by Bob_Blawblaw
    If I was to speculate, just for the fun of it, I'd say it's Casey 'no comment' Keefe who would be served the pink slip, thereby leaving the PR role open for Julio to jump into, cause Julio's not afraid to blatently lie about stuff, making him way better at PR then Casey. Thereby leaving Julio's old job up for grabs.

As long as the pink is served in the stink, I am all for Casey 'no comment' Keefe leaving.

• PepiDetoPepiDeto Member Posts: 85

Ok wasn't Nancy McIntyre the Director of Public Relations for LucasArts?  If so then I can confirm she no longer is.  I bought the Empire at War game and in the back of the manual in the credits section it says Director of Public Relations Ann Marie Stein.

Pepi Deto
    Colonel Rebel Alliance
    Corbantis Server
    "Any company who tries to 'wait it out' will be just that, out!" - Tommy Boy

• dolaniousdolanious Member Posts: 186

Originally posted by admriker444
    I take it Mr. Torres has been fired ? He hasnt been seen in a while.
    Perhaps his idiocy on G4TV was the final straw. If so, sweet revenge. Im still pissed at Attack of the Show for not calling out Mr. Torres for the obvious issues with the game when they couldnt get Kenobi to spawn on live tv

Hopefully he's with Horatio.

(lol, get it? Some high brow humor for you)

Well, every board has pulled that number off the board.