Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Free-to-Play Relaunch Trailer

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited September 2015 in Videos Discussion

imageFree-to-Play Relaunch Trailer

NCSoft and Carbine Studios are pleased to announce that today marks the free-to-play iteration of WildStar. The game launches with a host of quality of life improvements, updated features and systems and much, much more. To celebrate the F2P launch, Carbine has released a brand new trailer.

Read the full story here

Comments

• mmrvmmrv Member RarePosts: 305
    Heh, what a trailer pretty much reiterated why wildstar failed and left ZERO possibility of doubt. Sorry the MMORPG crowd is all grown up for the most part and cheesy cartoony space cowboy graphics and theme just isnt appealing to many adults. It really is a shame because if they opted for a dark brooding heavy sci fi theme the game would he been gang busters. I am sure some asshats will chirp up about how they loved the style and art of WS, which is fine just understand you are the minority and that is why WS failed and is destined to keep failing.
  • FinvegaFinvega Member RarePosts: 260
    I don't get it with the trailers... why the heck don't these mmo company's just make feature animated movies instead? They would probably make more money with them.
  • XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,855
    edited September 2015
    mmrv said:
    Heh, what a trailer pretty much reiterated why wildstar failed and left ZERO possibility of doubt. Sorry the MMORPG crowd is all grown up for the most part and cheesy cartoony space cowboy graphics and theme just isnt appealing to many adults. It really is a shame because if they opted for a dark brooding heavy sci fi theme the game would he been gang busters. I am sure some asshats will chirp up about how they loved the style and art of WS, which is fine just understand you are the minority and that is why WS failed and is destined to keep failing.
    Translation: no fun allowed
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Well their animators and art team in general have talent, that's for sure.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    This trailer was actually done out of house by the French animation guys who do a lot of LoL's videos.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Will give it a go, just not today. Gonna wait 1 - 2 days first.
  • YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    edited September 2015
    mmrv said:
    Heh, what a trailer pretty much reiterated why wildstar failed and left ZERO possibility of doubt. Sorry the MMORPG crowd is all grown up for the most part and cheesy cartoony space cowboy graphics and theme just isnt appealing to many adults. It really is a shame because if they opted for a dark brooding heavy sci fi theme the game would he been gang busters. Edit: Put in spaces manually since the forums doesn't recognize it on video posts. I am sure some asshats will chirp up about how they loved the style and art of WS, which is fine just understand you are the minority and that is why WS failed and is destined to keep failing.
    Edit:  Added manual spaces since the video section does not register them.  May be a bit sloppy as I edit.

I'd like to first make a comment that aesthetic style has little to do with the failure of this game (and the part that does, mainly dealt with bright colors and lighting). Such thinking is moreso personal preference pushing rather than looking at the bigger picture and figuring out just where the game went wrong. It is further compounded by the "Cotton Mather" implication that anyone who does not agree with you is an "asshole". _____________________________________________

Wildstar performed horrible mistakes in the past. The first of which is making a fresh IP Pay to Play with the statement that they believed the model will give them the most money. Further going as far as saying that it's the best option as a company to milk people with a Box + Subscription and then go to Free to Play. Reasons being, that the initiate box sales help pay for servers and the subscription is basically paying them to make the game applicable for Free to play after a year or so of additional development. Emphasis on "milking" is mine, as they didn't say the word, and during that time this may well have been the case, as it was predicted Elder Scrolls would do the same thing. Though now they are F2P and have a fairly good model that gives you access to the whole game without obscene restrictions as some say SWTOR has. _____________________________________________

Next error in their judgement was letting the whole "Hardest of the Hardcore" MMO escape the leash and take a life of its own. Not to mention their cocky attitude that "they're the best MMO ever" and comments that "It's incredibly easy to make a successful MMO", which came from one of the leads that recently quit due to real life needing to be taken care of. The end result? Similar to the disaster that occurred with Final Fantasy XIV 1.0 whereby they (Square) admitted their hubris, made the game free to play instantly and sent out hundreds of letters and newsletters saying how profoundly sorry they were for their incompetence. Which lead to an earnest attempt to try and salvage the game and franchise, which has seen tremendous success when thinking of P2P games. To date, I'm not sure if Wildstar ever admitted fault, but they certainly seem a bit more humbled with their latest statements and how they handled their launch stream. They have made various improvements to the ease of entry for the game, added more solo activities and storylines and made requirements for grouping less strenuous and more rewarding. _____________________________________________

People who played the game a significant amount of time eventually quit due to various reasons, most of which revolved around end game. Guild were cannibalizing each other, extreme attunement were making it so that those who finished such did not want to do it again... yet, they needed people who have completed it in their guilds for raids. Ultimately, the 40 man (they reduced it to 20 in F2P) raiding they created was incredibly dumb -- this is a case whereby the average MMO gamer really has grown up and has families and jobs; those who played another cartoony game called World of Warcraft had the time in which to do such back in the day. Which lead to WoW casualizing itself over time to retain its most dedicated, now family supporting following. The issues were further harassed by the before mentioned attunement processes, the structuring of questing areas and leveling, etc. The tutorial of the game (which was completely redone, as many suggested they should completely redo during the first beta) was horribly boring and a hard sell to maintain the attention of anyone who was just logging in to check the game out. _____________________________________________

Next would be the actual races and combat itself. People have different preferences, but I've seen time and again of how much people hate just how many telegraphs show up in game. One or two here and there is fine, but it went completely overboard. Flashy lights showing up all over the place. Hurting some people's eyes with it's very colorful atmosphere. Personally, I couldn't get into any of the classes or the looks of the races. The in-game trailers they had looked fine, but I just couldn't feel attached to any character I made as soon as I made it -- which is a problem when trying to hook someone into your game (which is likely also due to how boring the initial tutorial was). Wildstar has since added a much more dark atmosphere to the game with this recent update. The lighting is darker and more pronounced where it is needed to be for emphasis. This has lead to a more gritty sci-fi atmosphere where such is appropriate, while still boasting lush wildernesses where it is also expected. _____________________________________________

These are but some of the more simple issues they game had. Taken directly from forums, interviews and videos of people talking about the game. Personally, I couldn't get past level 22 or whatever back in the beta because I did not like the game one bit. Aesthetics and graphics mean nothing to me, as I've been playing games for a long time. It's a superficial grievance as a whole and, while it has a place for the individual, there are myriad amounts of people with different tastes and likes. You will see just as much hate on "realistic" aesthetics as "cartoony". Perhaps more, especially when talking about MMOs and their system requirements. Or how the most popular games on PC are typical 2-d or innovative in terms of gameplay, despite having indie budgets for aesthetics and graphics. League of Legends is very much cartoony / anime like. WoW is still one of the most profitable games, and likely the all-time most profitable game in history. Even earning a recent spot in the Gaming Hall of fame, of which there are only a half dozen or so spots for since the 1980s. Point is, a game failing due to it's aesthetics is only possible if it is being judged by a market or demographic that despises it. Not the overall demographic or market it was aiming for. Of which, there is a huge demand for aesthetics of all types, especially cartoony, as we see ample evidence all around us on the PC. ___________________________________

To condemn or insult someone for their personal preference is -- contrary to words of some and in my opinion -- not indicative of being "mature" or "adult". To think or otherwise imply one's mindset or preference is law / the majority, or has any meaning beyond the small set of people they hang with (or the culture they grew up in) due to them having like-minded thoughts is but one definition of being uncultured. They are not assholes for their preferences, and especially not in this case when someone is essentially definitively saying that one thing is the cause of a downfall without elaboration or evidence, and that anyone who doesn't agree with them just don't understand. Because they're not in their small circle of friends or the demographic that concurs with them.
    Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    This trailer was actually done out of house by the French animation guys who do a lot of LoL's videos.
    Ahh wow. Well those guys have talent too!

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• mmrvmmrv Member RarePosts: 305
    mmrv said:
    Heh, what a trailer pretty much reiterated why wildstar failed and left ZERO possibility of doubt. Sorry the MMORPG crowd is all grown up for the most part and cheesy cartoony space cowboy graphics and theme just isnt appealing to many adults. It really is a shame because if they opted for a dark brooding heavy sci fi theme the game would he been gang busters. WALL OF TEXT DELTED definitively saying that one thing is the cause of a downfall without elaboration or evidence, and that anyone who doesn't agree with them just don't understand. Because they're not in their small circle of friends or the demographic that concurs with them.
    Look man again argue as you wish many games have survived and faired far better than WS with far worse and mroe agregious issues plaguing thier first year. REALITY CHECK cartoony corny space cowboy themes are about as niche as it gets and that is why this game failed PERIOD. Again if you liked the art and style ok good for you, you are in the vast minority and that is why this game failed. If it had a dark hardcore scifi theme it would be doing just fine with a huge audience awaiting the inevitable improvements, but instead you get this puny niceh of people who think cartoony space cowboys are cool.
  • psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    I gotta tell ya I bought the CE and have been a sub since day 1, and love the game and I am so close to canceling and uninstalling over their total and complete incompetence with the network issues. Those servers should have been stress tested backwards and forwards before the relaunch, and the subscriber servers should have been left up and running until they had the new mega servers stable. Not only that if this is their best effort I really think I may have to get a refund on my BnS pre-order as well.  Ive been patient been on twitter with them and they keep saying we got we got this is the fix and it just gets worse.  
  • umcorianumcorian Member UncommonPosts: 519
    edited October 2015
    "REALITY CHECK cartoony corny space cowboy themes are about as niche as it gets"

The funny thing is - I loved FireFly. Wildstar? Had absolutely no desire to pick it up. Even beta tested it for a week and stopped playing after a day or two.

I honestly think the appearence/theme has a lot to do with it. World of Warcraft may be cartoony and I know that's why Wildstar went that way, but Blizzard does everything it can to remind you you're not playing a cartoon: CGI Movies, dark themes - and any sort of comic relief (like gnomes/goblins) tend to be downplayed a lot.

Wildstar, it went full Saturday Morning cartoon and reminds you of it every second of the day.

As Robert Downey Jr would say: "You went full retard - never go full retard."
    Post edited by umcorian on